Serves meat, veg options available. Funky, locally owned restaurant offering a few vegan items and a few vegetarian options labeled on the menu - including a veggieburger, lentil & nut loaf, and a vegetarian enchilada. Often have a vegan soup. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg
10145 104 Street (Jasper Avenue)
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 0Z9
780-429-0740

Open Mon-Fri 11-10, Sat-Sun 9-10. Brunch on weekends from 9am.

First Review by jayb
Daveggie
Daveggie

O.K.

3 Posted on 12 / 24 / 2013

I rate it as OK. I find the Blue Plate to have a great atmosphere, OK food selection/quality and less then stellar service. The vegan options are limited, and they haven't changed in the 5 years I have been going, they certainly aren't of the caliber of many other restaurants offering vegan options in this city. We don't go often but it is nice now and again. If they only spruced up the menu a bit and trained the staff to be less cool and more attentive then this place would be a real gem.

Pros: Vegan options, Funky atmosphere
Cons: Slow service, limited vegan options
the_vegbrarian
the_vegbrarian

Veggie downtown dining

3 Posted on 04 / 26 / 2013

I love how Blue Plate's menu is very specifically labelled to indicate what is vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free. This makes it so easy for me to go there with friends who have allergies and what not.
The lentil loaf is really good, and I also like the veggie burger. However getting a table here can be really challenging, you definitely need a reservation. The price is a bit more than I can typically afford, so Blue Plate for me is a sort of "special occasions" restaurant.

Pros: clearly labelled menu, yummy vegan food, big portions
Cons: very busy, a bit expensive
Posi Britt
Posi Britt

Sorry won't be back

1 Posted on 06 / 24 / 2012

I went here with my sister a few years back and was so disappointed. I tried it because it was in the VoA veggie restaraunt guide. When we got there we had to wait a while for a table which made no sense because only half the restaraunt was full. When I was asking about vegan dishes they said I could have the veggie burger with no bun.... I did and then just had salad on the side. That was the only option I was given to eat. I have heard they have more options now, but I was so unhappy the first and only time I have ever been there, that I'm not coming back. Sorry.

Cons: Barely any vegan selection, Rude staff, Horrible parking

SemiVeggie
SemiVeggie

Friendly

4 Posted on 03 / 27 / 2012

I've gone here a few times at lunch its super busy but the staff are friendly, make sure you have enough time for lunch. There are gluten free dishes.

Pros: Vegetarian friendly, Tasty Food
Cons: Busy
Profound_Raincloud
Profound_Raincloud

Beet Burger Heaven!

3 Posted on 03 / 04 / 2012

Blue Plate diner has the best veggie burger I have ever tasted and it's made of beets! This restaurant has a funky atmosphere and great veg*n options. They were also very accommodating of my food allergies! Great place for brunch!

Pros: Friendly Staff, Excellent Food
Cons: Nosiy, Serves Meat
kipnus
kipnus

Funky!

4 Posted on 02 / 16 / 2011

I've only been here once, but I absolutely loved the funky atmosphere! I ordered the chili garlic stirfry with tofu, and was more than satisfied with it--be careful if you're not into spicy foods!

My boyfriend had the lentil and nut loaf, and in his words, it was "way better than the vegan meatballs we made." The miso gravy really made the dish.

We were too full for dessert, but appreciated the wine selection and helpful servers.

The menu was well-labeled with vegan and vegetarian options. I was a little disappointed to see that the Indian Platter appetizer was listed as vegan on the website, but the word vegan was crossed out on all of the menus in the restaurant. Guess they found traces of eggs or dairy in it...

Pros: Atmosphere, Chili Garlic Stirfry with Tofu
Cons: Non-vegan Indian food
westfale
westfale

4 Posted on 07 / 26 / 2010

I love this restaurant. I've been to Blue Plate Diner at least a few dozen times.
The decor, music, and atmosphere are old-school with a modern twist.
They always accommodate vegetarian needs and my food always come the way I ordered.

There are two down-sides to this establishment: One- parking is terrible, plan ahead and car pool or leave your car at home if you can.
Two- some of the staff are pushy, rude, and impatient. When I come across someone like this I simply ask to move to another servers section because 'there is no manager' when I ask to speak to one.
Don't let the two negative comment prevent you from trying this tasty down town treat and decide for yourself. I know ill be back again and again.

Pros: atmosphere, lots of veggie options, accommodating
Cons: parking, a few of the servers
jayb
jayb

good options

3 Posted on 05 / 20 / 2009

I enjoy the vegan offering and have been able to get them to modify lacto dishes .This is a mainstream restraunt with some accomadations for vegatarians.I am not sure we have a high degree of uniformity on who gets listed . I am still in favour of having them listed here .

Good basic food and very popular for mainstream and veg. folks .

Pros: food quality
Cons: veg seperation

Dear Owner and Manager of Blue Plate Diner: