CLOSED: Blue Nile Ethiopian

Serves meat, veg options available. Offers a large vegan menu and an organic, raw menu every Sunday and Monday. Casual, Large Groups Ok, Non-smoking. WiFi. Aug 2012 SHUT DOWN. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ethiopian, Juice bar, Take-out, Non-veg
933 E University Dr, Ste 112 (N Scottsdale Rd)
Tempe, Arizona 85281
480-377-1113

Call for hours - tell us

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by PH0ENIX
deathgrowl
deathgrowl

Great place

4 Posted on 05 / 09 / 2012

I don't think I've been there since March of 2011, but I've there multiple times by myself as well as with non-veg coworkers and we all loved it. Great vegan food that leaves you feeling good.

Pros: awesome food, friendly waitstaff
chikfender
chikfender

I've been going here for years

4 Posted on 07 / 11 / 2011

I love Blue Nile! Vegan items are very clearly labeled. There is another Ethiopian restaurant down the road, but it is more expensive and vegan items are not marked.

They offer raw food Monday and Sunday (and sometimes other days) and it's hit or miss. I prefer to share a big vegan plate ("combo") with someone and order raw cheesecake, if available, for dessert. I really don't recommend the raw cinnamon rolls (unless you like overpaying for the equivalent of chopped up Lara bars with a dabble of chocolate sauce).

Pros: Vegan labeling, Delicious stews, Traditional style seating available
Cons: Staff are often a bit spacey, Their great coffeecake's no longer vegan, Best raw desserts not always offered
hbaley
hbaley

Not so fresh

1 Posted on 07 / 01 / 2011

I was disappointed with Blue Nile. [edit by staff] Most of the food tasted like it had been cooked yesterday or was made with canned vegetables. Their salads are good, but the entrees were a waste of my money and I definitely won't be going back.

Pros: Inexpensive
Cons: Not fresh, Canned food

HowardPacker
HowardPacker

Great Vegan Cheesecake

4 Posted on 04 / 30 / 2011

After having my main course at Tsom, which is one door away, I came over to this restaurant for dessert. Their cheesecake is excellent.

Between these two restaurants, vegans can have a full meal, from start to finish, that is most satisfying.

Pros: Healthy, Friendly, Informal
  • chikfender chikfender

I agree! Or you can eat at Blue Nile and go next door to Tsom for vegan cupcakes!

Elizabeth
Elizabeth

I was impressed

4 Posted on 12 / 06 / 2009

We went here for Thanksgiving. I had had Ethiopian food years ago and I wasn't impressed with it, NOT at this place!!! So, naturally I was leary of having it again. We each picked a dishes and shared. The food was amazing!! All of it was very flavorful, tasty, and amazing! It was reasonably priced and the waiter was very helpful to us. I read previous reviews and was a little hesitant to come here but I saw NO cockroaches, the place was very clean! So, don't let the other reviews scare you. Come to the Blue Nile! You won't be disappointed.

Pros: Clean, Friendly, tasty!
nickvicious
nickvicious

What's not to like?

4 Posted on 09 / 15 / 2009

Great vegan ethiopian fare at a low price. They do raw items and I believe they do a raw menu on Sundays and Mondays. My new favorite place to dine.

Pros: Cheap, Vegan menu, Raw menu
veganrunner
veganrunner

Have the least oily injera bread I've ever had!

4 Posted on 07 / 13 / 2008

I have eaten at a fair number of Ethiopian restaurants and I almost always feel bloated after eating injera bread. Not so at Blue Nile - their food is flavorful and they have a good number of vegan options. Love the vegan coffee cake (I prefer the strawberry over the orange) although it doesn't really taste like coffee cake.

Very friendly folks as well!

teaman
teaman

First time here

4 Posted on 04 / 08 / 2008

This was the first time we had ethiopian food and was very glad we tried it. We had the veggie sampler dish and everything was very tasty. Our waiter was very helpful with what to get..very cute and friendly

Pros: great food, great service
Mimi710
Mimi710

yummy

4 Posted on 12 / 03 / 2007

My roommate took me after we went to ASU for a conference. Yummy! We had the plate of five vegan dishes with a salad in the middle. I see why my roommate is addicted to this place and goes there every time she goes home. They have a vegan coffee cake too.

Pros: inexpensive, good food, traditional seating
Cons: serves Pepsi (instead of natural soda), not all vegan
michal
michal

love blue nile

4 Posted on 07 / 31 / 2007

i've gone many times. the staff is always friendly & patient. the food.... is always... SOOO GOOD! love this place. when ordering the vegan combo plate (for 2 or more) make sure you get the lentils, they're delicious, the eggplant is great too!! and get that beet salad,potato salad,&tomato salad trio they put in the middle for like $1.75 more.

Pros: delicious food, friendly staff, coffee
PH0ENIX
PH0ENIX

My first Ethiopian dining experience

4 Posted on 07 / 30 / 2007

I enjoyed my first Ethiopian meal here. They offer traditional (table/chair) as well as authentic seating options. I liked the vegetarian choices, and loved the injera. The ambiance feels halfway between Cafe Lalibela (restaurant style) and Tina's Ethiopian (casual family dining).

Pros: Good food, Friendly staff, Open late

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Blue Nile Ethiopian: