Serves meat, veg options available. Caters to visiting vegetarians, yogis, meditators, and massage therapist. Features breakfast, lunch, and salads. Makes own bread and supports 2 other nearby healthy food restaurants. Also sells fruits and products. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Non-veg

First Review by LilacHippy
julia93
julia93

Good place, sometimes.

3 Posted on 05 / 13 / 2014

I have been here 6-7 times in the last month and I have noticed the quality varies quite a lot. I absolutely fell in love the first couple of times - the healthy and vegetarian (not completely though) profile, the huge menu, the food, the bakery, the shop, the garden... It's hard not to. But the quality of food does differ a lot from time to time. I've had amazing salads but also dull and unappetising curries. I've had yummy bakes but have also been served dry and old cakes.
Come on Blue Diamond - step up your game! It is a good place but there is so much more potential in it, if only it was care of better. But as I said, in many ways it's great and I would say it's worth a visit.

Pros: Generally good food and a wide variety, Good Location, The shop
Cons: Uneven quality, Unengaged staff, Not completely veg
Villem
Villem

So and so

3 Posted on 04 / 26 / 2014

The place looks nice with a lush garden and fish pond. They serve vegan pancakes which were delicious and good size. Lots of different vegan options on the menu. Staff varied from dull to grumpy.
Updated from previous review on Saturday April 26, 2014

Pros: Good food, Lovely garden
Cons: unfriendly service
Papika
Papika

Simply perfect!

4 Posted on 04 / 21 / 2014

Great and delicious food, extensive menu, not very expensive, in a relaxed and beautiful atmosphere in opposite to the bustle of the city. It was the first time during our entire trip that I could eat without worrying about the oyster or fish sauces ... And the vegan bakery options are an exception in all the country! What a pity that is not fully vegetarian restaurant...

Pros: High fresh-food quality, Value for money
Hmjohnson4
Hmjohnson4

Great food/bakery

4 Posted on 02 / 18 / 2014

Oh my gosh, the vegan baked goods are AMAZING. I would totally get my fix here. The food was also great! The Indian curry noodle is probably the best noodle dish I've had. Ambience is nice, I really enjoy the store inside. The staff is totally overworked but it's the owners who are working... Sometimes they really let their tiredness show so be aware that they are tired/a little crabby. The location is great, a little tricky but in a great neighborhood

Pros: Delicious , Lots of choices , Location
Cons: Grumpy staff
serrarose
serrarose

Very Tasty Vegan Desserts!

4 Posted on 02 / 06 / 2014

I love eating at Blue Diamond, for non other then their amazing selection of delicious vegan desserts. From cookies, to muffins, to chocolate cake, coconut pie and soy based icecream. The meal menu also offers a large selection of vegan and heaps of vegetarian options (with meat dishes available). Dessert prices start from 35 baht and main meals from 70 baht. They also stock a selection of goodies for purchase including fruits/vege, breads, spreads and other natural products such as oils and repellants.

Pros: Large Selection Of Vegan Desserts, Garden Setting
Cons: They Offer Meat Dishes

Humminglion
Humminglion

An oldie but a goodie

3 Posted on 11 / 03 / 2013

Blue diamond was one of the first vegetarian places I dined at a couple yrs back. It's a great place to bring your non vegetarian friends too so both parties can have something to eat.

My only issue with this place is that the food quality is inconsistent. Sometimes it's cooked very well and at other times its crap. The staff is also very unfriendly.

Pros: Fun social place, Lovely garden
Cons: Staff sucks, Inconsistent food quality
Shalvah
Shalvah

To be fair

4 Posted on 08 / 09 / 2013

So I ate at Blue Diamond almost every day for a month, not because it's amazing, but because it was close to the guesthouse I was staying in at the time. I can understand some of the negative reviews on here...the place is run by a family and their kids (and the parents) work extremely long days. I also think that some of the "poor service" comments could possibly be from people unfamiliar with Thai service, which is much more laid back that Westerners are accustomed to. You tell THEM when you are ready for the bill (or get up and go pay at the counter, which is the case at Blue Diamond). While I've definitely eaten at many veg places in Chiang Mai with brighter more smiling faces, I've always found this family to be quite pleasant to me (could also be because I was eating there so often!)

Their food overall is good. Some dishes are great (Vietnamese salad is THE salad to get there, by the way). It's one of the few places in town I've found that has a selection of vegan baked goods. Their homemade bread is good too.

The atmosphere is really wonderful...they have a lovely garden with a koi pond and it's lovely at night with the twinkle lights on. Charming really.

It's also great that you can go in there and buy stuff like incense and shampoo...as well as a large selection of dried goods like tea and treats. Overall a good place with some stand out dishes with most being just generally "good enough".

Pros: Great garden, Nice place to meet Westerners, Vegan Baked Goods
Cons: Staff is overworked
anamana
anamana
  • raw

Beautiful Place

4 Posted on 05 / 12 / 2013

This restaurant is very beautiful, with lots of plants, a small waterfall, and a koi pond. There are a lot of tourists here, so I imagine it might be a great place to meet other tourists?

There are shelves with various health food items and supplements including coconut yogurt, spirulina, raw almonds, raw pumpkin seeds, and fresh turmeric. They also carry colloidal silver, some interesting soaps, and many different flavors of incense including Nag Champa.

The menu is pretty western, with lots of omelette dishes and traditional western breakfasts. They also serve some cooked vegan items, salads, and tofu dishes, as well as smoothies and fresh juices. There are copious amounts of very tempting baked goods out in the open, and they will taunt you with their obvious deliciousness.

My friend tells me this place is organic. I didn't see that anywhere on the menu, but she probably knows what she is talking about.

Pros: Probably organic, Beautiful setting, Something for everyone
agentbey
agentbey

How Big is the Diamond?

4 Posted on 03 / 03 / 2013

I have eaten at Blue Diamond at least five times and introduced several travelers as well. I have been completely satisfied with the staff and the service. I mainly order the same dish Vietnamese Herb Salad. Very very tasty lots of variety of fresh veggie and very filling. 98 THB

I considered it the best salad in Chiang Mai. I have seen many people chow down on the salad while I'm there. Occasionally, another happy traveler will glance over at your plate to notice you are eating the same thing.

Be mindful the kitchen closes at 8:30 sharp. So get there on-time to order or you will be drinking water and eating some fresh bread or a muffin.

The operation shut down at 9:00 sharp. But the owners are patient and wait for a few stragglers. I was one of those in the beginning. Later learned they have long days so try to leave when you see the gates closing.

I enjoyed the atmosphere as well with indoor and outdoor seating in a garden style setting. Very nice place to meet new people or enjoy time with some friends.

Now be warned this is not 100% vegetarian as it claims in the name. I personally think that is deceptive. So ask about the ingredients before ordering they use fish sauce and serve meat products.

There are also a wide selection of menu items which can make it hard to make a choice.

Like with many businesses, people are tired and get an attitude. I have found that many Thai people are over worked. Keep your orders clear. And don't too many changes to a set menu item. They tend to follow the recipes exactly.

Just be reasonable. I have seen them make mistakes with orders.

Recently, I order a banana chocolate wasn't as good as I anticipated. I drank it all but may not order again in the future.

The salad is my diamond.

Pros: Great Herb Salad, Excellent location, Large Menu Selection
Cons: Not 100% Vegetarian
dowuchyalike
dowuchyalike

Caveats for vegetarians/vegans

3 Posted on 05 / 19 / 2012

The food is good and comes in large portions but is tailored to western palates and overpriced by local standards. This probably wouldn't bother most tourists.

A word of warning: from my own experience it would seem that all of their Thai salads are made with fish sauce as the default. I wonder how many vegetarians/vegans have ordered and eaten som tum without even realising this. Seems to me that they ought to ask the customer their preference when taking orders. Also, I couldn't be 100% certain but in light of the above point I would have my suspicions that their Thai curries are made with the regular pastes that can be bought from the local markets - all of which contain shrimp. I will happily modify this comment if clarification is provided.

The owners are super-friendly but really only in it for the money and not committed to the vegetarian cause - the meat dishes on the menu providing evidence of such.

Georgie Porgie
Georgie Porgie

OK. Nothing special.

3 Posted on 05 / 05 / 2012

I live in Chiang Mai and the Blue Diamond is generally well-regarded. Personally, I have never understood why - although it is OK for Thailand. It is not really vegetarian, but they do have a number of vegetarian dishes and nothing there - that I have tasted - is exceptional. To me, it is OK if you are in the area and want vegetarian food, but there are lots of much less expensive Thai veggie places around that are just as tasty, but without the Western bakery items and such. They are on this website, but not easy to find for a tourist.

Pros: pleasant environment, OK food
Cons: slow service, The "health food" items are not healthy , not cheap (for veggie food in Thailand)
Haniama
Haniama

A haven in Old City

4 Posted on 10 / 22 / 2011

Besides vegetarian options, a large assortment of great patries, free wifi and organic, hill-tribe coffee, Blue Diamond is also located in a quaint garden setting complete with koi fish and waterfall. A great place to spend a few hours of the hot Thai afternoon, sipping peach iced tea and munching on vegan fresh coconut muffins. While the owner speaks good english and has a large staff, at times they seem a bit untrained, lost and inattentive.

Pros: wifi, good coffee, pastries and bread, great atmosphere, delicious salads, stir fries
Cons: service could be better, moderately expensive
Babette
Babette

Great place in Chiang Mai

4 Posted on 09 / 13 / 2011

This restaurant might actually be what I liked the most in Chiang Mai.

The food was pretty good, but I was most impressed with all the health food products you can buy there... you can even get real whole wheat bread, which is very nice. There is even soy yoghourt and vegan ice cream - which is divine, by the way.

Pros: Great salads, Nice atmosphere, Cheap
Cons: not entirely vegetarian
Hanuman
Hanuman

bad experience

2 Posted on 06 / 08 / 2011

Several times I have passed by Blue Diamont, I have bought some sweets, cakes, and expending 70, a 100THB or more, stayed for a few minutes and leave, one time a got two cakes with fungus in them, but is not the subject today, from then on I just ask for only fresh ones.
Last two times I decided to seat and use my computer. Today I ordered bread and Avocado, which is two slices of bread with less than 50grams of guacamole for 60THB, I am sure that you already know that this prices are totally address for westerners, therefore expensive within Thailand reality. [edit by staff - see ToS]

Pros: good healthy food
Cons: cakes with fungus, charge for electricity
reeplay
reeplay

Great place but wish it was fully veg.

4 Posted on 02 / 02 / 2011

We had so much trouble finding veg food in Bangkok. Everyone we'd tell would look as if they felt sorry for us. We got to Chiang Mai and I saw several veg restaurants listed in the Lonely Planet guide so was really looking forward to some decent food. We met a traveller and he told us about the Blue Diamond.

I was confused about the meat dishes (mainly breakfast stuff) in the menu. At first I wondered if it was mock meat but there was no mention of it being so. We stuck to the veg menu and were thrilled.

I'm usually not the sort of person who will experience a cultures cuisine by going where all the other tourists were going but it this case, we had no choice.

Pros: extensive veg menu, tasty food , awesome drinks
Cons: there's meat in their menu, most of the staff don't speak english, why the bacon?
eatyourveggies
eatyourveggies

Vegan Pancakes!!

4 Posted on 11 / 11 / 2010

I only went here for breakfast and enjoyed a delicious mixed fruit shake and vegan banana cinnamon pancake. I went early at 8:30am, service was fine and I was super happy to have a pancake with maple syrup after traveling for 2 months without a good vegan breakfast in sight. Reasonable prices. Grabbed their one vegan pastry, apple strudel, and it was tasty too.

david
david

Not vegetarian ???

1 Posted on 08 / 11 / 2009

I sat down and was disapointed that most of the food had dead animals in it,,,, i ask the owner why she said this was a veggie restaurant when you serve meat ??? she sais what happens if customer want meat and dont like vegetarian food,,, i did not answer,,,,,, i still tried the food to be fair and so slow service and grumpy service but this may have been because i was a vegetarian? never again as i was thinking they use meat and then my food in the same pan...

Pros: nice location, garden nice, ???
Cons: serve animals, slow service, poor food
JesseD
JesseD

Made Me Sick

1 Posted on 07 / 15 / 2009

I found this place through another source, and thought it was completely veggie, so was disappointed to find a number of non-veg dishes, even if it is only a small part of the menu (serves me right for not checking here first).

Service was friendly but slow and disorganised; one of my dishes never came at all and I gave up at closing time. The Indian food was watery and bland - hardly Indian at all, and the portion was small. Their Thai range might be better.Worst part though is that it made me a little sick the next day, for the first time in Thailand.

I had a much better vegetarian Indian meal at the New Delhi Restaurant, which while not completely veg either, the owner is from a vegetarian family and seemed very conscientious about not using meat or dairy andc using separate utensils etc.

I won't go back to Blue Diamond.

Pros: Nice setting, Cheap
Cons: Bland, Poor service
AvocadoLover
AvocadoLover

Good Food./Okay Service

3 Posted on 05 / 11 / 2009

I originally visited this restaurant because I heard they had vegan ice cream, and after 6 weeks without I though "Hurray vegan ice cream!" I was a little disappointed in that aspect as they had a few flavors in these small plastic cups but the chocolate ice cream I was hoping to have was not vegan. Oh, well. We did have an AMAZING dinner, but the service was slow and not very friendly. The food was good enough that we decided to come back, and again we had delicious food but this time the service was a bit better (maybe because they were less crowded?) I really enjoyed eating in the beautiful garden and I liked that they had fruit and nuts you could buy to go which helped sustain me during climbing sessions. Overall, I think this is definitely one of the top veggie eats in Chiang Mai.

Pros: Good snacks to go, Delicious Food, Pretty setting
Cons: Slow/unfriendly(?) sevice
Agenda
Agenda

The best restaurant!

4 Posted on 07 / 28 / 2008

It's the best restaurant in Thailand I've visited. The portions are huge and everything is incredibly tasty. They have fresh bakery, soups, salads, sweets, lot of food. I didn't see anything not vegetarian. The service is a bit slow, it's true.

Pros: Food is delicious, A huge variety, Bakery and local coffee
Cons: May be not very easy to find, Close early!!, A bit slow service
LilacHippy
LilacHippy

Decent Place

4 Posted on 06 / 10 / 2008

OK it is not "quite" vegetarian but I don't see the problem - it means you can take your non vege friends and they can enjoy it a little bit too..
They now have a garden which is extremely pleasant and I believe you can smoke there, which, if you are a smoker like me, you will certainly appreciate, although they could do with getting an ash tray and some rain shelter. I know alot of BD customers do not smoke but I also know a lot of people who don't go there for the lack of smoking area. Hope this has now been redeemed.

By the way, they are not open until 10.30 PM like the site says, they close at 9 and the kitchen closes at 8.30 (sharp) - worth knowing.

Like someone else said I go there several times a week at least - because the food is so good, and so are the delicious fruit shakes.

Highly recommended.

Pros: Healthy, Friendly, Cheap
Cons: Improve smoking area

Dear Owner and Manager of Blue Diamond: