Blue Boy Vegetarian Food...

Centre has about 10 stalls selling vegetarian with authentic Asian dishes such as char kway teow, assam laksa, curry mee, dry/soup noodles, popiah, laksa, cheecheong fun, tom yam, fried rice, yongtaufoo, curry puffs, etc. Also a dry goods shop. Price: Inexpensive more-less

First Review by kennyloh83
riquinho
riquinho

Cheap and tasty

3 Posted on 07 / 26 / 2013

I think the main reason for divided opinion may be the extent to which people are used to hawker stalls - but what would a visit to Malaysia be without eating at a fair few? It's certainly not in a very attractive setting and it's also a bit hard to find, in an alley behind the Corona Inn Hotel, but the food is tasty and cheap, catering mostly, I would suspect, to the local Chinese who have ' vegetarian days' every week or month. The attached shop has a lot of stuff crammed into a small space, including frozen fake meats imported from Taiwan that you'd normally find only in a large or upscale supermarket.

Pros: cheap and tasty
Cons: rough and ready
KingKong
KingKong

Great variety but...

4 Posted on 07 / 03 / 2013

You must be prepped for hawker food. If you're used to a western style eatery with good AC, sorry look elsewhere. If you're after cheap and delicious food, then this is the place. I'm stressing the hawker/street food angle since it's effectively what it is. So if you're not use to seeing it, keep an open mind and give it a try. They do one heck of a chicken rice at the mixed rice stall.
It's located just opposed Swiss garden hotel in a little alley way. Just behind the express hotel. It's Asia, so don't let the word "mansion" fool you.

Pros: Taste, Price, Range
Cons: Location, Hygiene if you're not used to it
anarchistanimal
anarchistanimal

The best stall/buffet experience in KL

5 Posted on 04 / 06 / 2013

Blue Boy was the most enjoyable buffet/stall experience I had in KL. The setting is light and airy, and there are different stalls with lots of Malaysian and Chinese dishes to choose from, plus a buffet. It's a pleasant and clean space, with one side opening onto a row of plants and a quiet street (and not in a mall - yay!). I went a few times while I was in KL. I tried the buffet (5 choices and rice cost RM 8) which was all fresh and delicious. I also tried the Nasi Lemak (rice with some different curries, and veggies on the side, for RM 5.50), and some of the stuffed tofu creations, which were all tasty and good.

Pros: Malaysian dishes, Street-side, pleasant setting
ZuZu
ZuZu

the original and still the best!

5 Posted on 02 / 24 / 2013

I love Blue Boy! We've been going here ever since our first trip to Asia. They serve up the vegetarian versions of popular Malaysian street foods. The fried Kueh Teow, a stir fried noodle dish, can be made to order with or without egg, it is super delicious, similar to a pad thai or lard na. Maybe not the healthiest choice, but really fun to eat. You can also choose rice with the toppings of your choice, self serve, and priced by how much you put on your plate. The Nasi Lemak is another of the famous choices here, its definitely worth a try! This place is a very economical choice for vegans and vegetarians in Bukit Bintang. And by the way, the Thai massage place nearby that is run by the Thai Ministry of Tourism is really good and totally legit, so stop by there on the way or make an appointment on your way back if you love a consistently good thai massage in a classy environment.

Pros: great prices, delicious food, humble street stall environment
leolady3369
leolady3369

Many choices of Malay/Indian/Thai food

4 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2013

The restuarant is fairly easy to find. The staff speak pretty good English, which we needed to figure out how to order the food. As far as I can tell, there is no menu. You just walk to the different 'food stalls' (tables, really) and choose big or small portions. They have a buffet style as well where you buy your plate size (S-L)and only fill it once. We did not try that though.
We tried tofu stuffed with soya meat, spicy red Thai curry on noodles and Malay fried noodles with tofu. It was all very tasty. The price is unbeatable! All of that food plus a big bottle of water was around USD $3.
The only problem is that on the particular day we visited, they were closing at 6PM, which is a bit early for dinner. But it was Christmas Eve, so maybe that's why the early hours.

Pros: Many choices, Cheap
Cons: Close at 6PM

freeprincebandar
freeprincebandar

Roadside stall atmosphere and not great food

2 Posted on 10 / 14 / 2012

Several different stalls in a garage like atmoshphere (e.g. mock meat station, noodle station, etc). Overall everything lackluster and the atmosphere is just not nice enough to make it worth it for any reason

Cons: food not good
enRoute
enRoute

fun and convenient

4 Posted on 01 / 10 / 2010

wow, the most controversial veggie spot in KL!

for my part, I can say that I tracked it down on my first day and loved the funky atmosphere and character. had a great curry soup and then tried out the asam which I respected but didn't really dig.

went back several times after that and always had a good time, mostly with decent results. it's fun to feel like you're in a scrappy local KL food zone with veggie options all around. owner is very friendly (if a bit goofy sometimes), maybe not the highest level of eats you'll find in the area but overall a lot of fun.

Pros: local atmosphere, selection, friendly
Cons: noisy, some food could be better
Alice Looi
Alice Looi

Varieities of Foods

3 Posted on 10 / 29 / 2009

My hubby and I ate their curry noodles, zhu chang fen, popiah and fried kway teow.

The curry noodles is ok. The skin of the zhu chang fen is very smooth, very nice.

The popiah skin is quite thick and the ingredients are quite sweet... we prefer it the normal salted taste rather than the sweet sugar taste.

The fried kway teow is fantastic! If u ever go there, must try! :)

happyvegan
happyvegan

All Under One Roof

4 Posted on 05 / 21 / 2009

This is one unique place i would say, there are so many stalls under the same roof serving simple local food vegetarian style and at a reasonable price: Burger, Char Kuey Tiao (Fried Glass Noodles), Wan Tan Mee, fried rice, etc. etc.

Being a business traveller, i get tired of hotel food often and longed for local vege dish..I was in KL last year and decided to look up Happy Cow listing and spotted Blue Boy..

The owner is friendly and speaks English, the setting is simple, food stall style....you will see locals, westerners dinning in this place. For any vegetarian who likes to try Asian food Vegetarian version, this is one place you need to visit..

Pros: Variety, Reasonable Price, Unique
Cons: Not enough publicity
kympatterson
kympatterson

Average food and over-priced

2 Posted on 02 / 16 / 2009

After reading all the great reviews about this place I was really disappointed by the food. It was great fun finding the place and it felt very local. We were warmly greeted by the owner who organised a selection of dishes for us. Sadly, all of the food was bland or deep fried and tastless. I couldn't say anything nice about the food (and I wish I could!). The fact the prices were discretionary was also frustrating as we ended up paying much more than we'd paid at other (much better) vege restuarants in KL. Still very reasonable but way overpriced for what we received. I'd recommend you try elsewhere.

Pros: Friendly owner, Local setting
Cons: Terrible bland food, Over priced
Lanky
Lanky

blue boy never makes u blue

4 Posted on 11 / 09 / 2008

we lived just on the other side of the street, and were happy to find a vegie place to close.
The Blue boy is like a normal local malay cafeteria, with mostly pre-prepared dishes. The great thing here was being able to try many local specialities which had been off limits because of the meat factor. The Blue Boy replaces the meat with tofu or mock meat. We took a selection of fried snacks, such as stuffed green peppers and aubergines, wontons, and curry laksa. It was great to have a laksa and know that even the broth was vegetarian.
There is no menu, but the staff were very helpful.

Pros: Fully local style, Big range of treats, Helpful staff
Cons: Mostly pre-cooked
psbrabeck
psbrabeck

Great lunch spot

4 Posted on 09 / 03 / 2008

I ate here one day for lunch and it was GREAT. Fantastic service, great fake meats and a HUGE assortment of delicacies to choose from,, all fresh. The next day i came for dinner, most of the food stalls were shut down and the food was old.

Pros: Great Lunch
Cons: Not so great dinner
SteveAndPeggy
SteveAndPeggy

Location instructions

5 Posted on 08 / 21 / 2008

OK, this place is a bit hard to find. Here are some instructions on how to get there.

Directly opposite the Swiss Garden Hotel on Jalan Pudu is a Maybank. Next to it is a lane. The lane has a slight incline. If you peer up the lane, you will see a sign for the Jade Garden restaurant (this is not the place!!) Walk up the lane towards Jade Garden and you will see Blue Boy Vegetarian Food Centre on your right.

Nearest KL monorail station is Imbi, but you'd still have to walk about 5 minutes to get to the food place.

Pros: massive choice, all vege, cheap
Cons: no air-con
simdel
simdel

I love this place

5 Posted on 08 / 14 / 2008

I first went to Blue Boy in about 2003 after walking past it and seeing a sign saying vegetarian economy rice. However, at that time I thought the vegetarian part was just one stall as I saw names of dishes such as prawn mee. A couple of months ago I happened to walk past it again after returning to live in Malaysia and was amazed to realize the whole place was vegetarian with lots of mock meat dishes.

I have been back about 10 times and come here when I am in the area. The food is delicious and so tasty, yet the prices are very reasonable indeed. My favourite dish is the curry mee for only 4 rm washed down with refreshing soya bean ice, but I also love their economy rice stall and actually everything they serve looks really yummy although I still haven't tried lots.

The place is typical of traditional Malaysian non air con, fan cooled food courts with not much light and not that appealing surroundings but don't let that put you off at all. I'm really happy I found it as it's all veggie, karma free, healthy, highly economical and tasty nosh.

Pros: Food! Quality and tasty, Price, Friendly
Cons: None!
Winglets747
Winglets747

You can do better in KL

2 Posted on 08 / 06 / 2008

After reading so many good reviews of Blue Boy, I was very disappointed. Service is friendly with limited English, but my meal was very bland. It was undoubtedly the worst I had in SE, and perhaps one of my worst meals ever. There was no menu I could find, and thus no set prices. The prices seem to be at the discretion of whoever is charging you. FYI the lowest rating you can give a 100% vegetarian restaurant is 2 'cows', but otherwise I would have given it 0.

Pros: Friendly
Cons: Bland, expensive
hotchie_doggie
hotchie_doggie

Hard to find, but worth digging

4 Posted on 04 / 04 / 2008

We had to sit on the steps to get our bearings, but lots of folks were going through the alley and once we followed them we found what we were looking for. The owner was quite pleasant, the food was tasty and the price was very good. Reading the other reviews, it seems that we may all be getting the same recommendation, curry noodles and fried broad noodles (char kway teow). BF thinks there wasn't enough mock meat. Overall, very good experience.

csbench
csbench

Great food, pleasant owner

5 Posted on 11 / 27 / 2007

We ate here twice during our most recent trip to Kuala Lumpur and loved the food. Like most restaurants in Kuala Lumpur that aren't geared toward the Western crowd, it doesn't have walls. It's also on a relatively small street, so it doesn't get tons of sunlight... so as one of the previous reviewers said, it's not really brightly lit. But I can't really imagine why this would be a concern to anyone. Anyway, the important information is that the food is wonderful. One of the previous reviewers noted the quality of the Kway Teow, and they're right... it's truly addictive. There's also veggie Tom Yam available, which is great, given that it's such a standard Malaysian dish. The owner is quite accommodating, and on our first visit, gave us a tour of each of the cooking areas. On the second visit, he gave us a complimentary dish of their newest noodle dish. They also have a great little vegetarian food shop attached.

Pros: great tasting food, Good variety, Malaysian specialties
Guest
Guest

Great Variety of Local Malaysian Vege Food

4 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2007

We were a group of Vegetarians from Singapore who went to KL a few days ago. As recommended on this site, we went to survey this outlet and indeed there is a wide variety of Local Malaysian Vegetarian Food in one place.
But the outlet is a bit too dim; could do with Brighter lightings.

Pros: Variety
Cons: Too Dim
kparsons
kparsons

Fantastic Service

4 Posted on 04 / 16 / 2007

We were hesitant to try this place after reading the review above, but it was so close to our hotel that we ended up there one afternoon. Contrary to what the previous poster reported, the service we received was phenomenal. We were given a guided tour of the food stalls and even given free samples to try. The owner was extremely kind to us and chatted w/us for a long time after we'd finished eating. The food was great and damn cheap -- both of us were stuffed after spending only RM7! Check it out.

Pros: Fast Service, Lots of Mock Meat
Cons: Not Tons of Veggies
kennyloh83
kennyloh83

not good service

2 Posted on 12 / 08 / 2006

though d food is good, however d staf there include d boss very counting...even tissue use more wil b scolded...bad

Cons: bad service

Dear Owner and Manager of Blue Boy Vegetarian Food Centre: