Blossom Restaurant

New York vegan restaurant in the neighborhood of Chelsea. Fine dining with menu featuring blossom pouch and black eyed pea cake, porcini crusted seitan filet, and pumpkin gnocci, and other gourmet vegan cuisine. Brunch is served on weekends. Chic elegant interior with a fireplace and antique-style banquette. Reservations recommended. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan, Organic, Gourmet, American, International, Fusion, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Delivery
187 9th Ave (Midtown/Chelsea, Manhattan)
New York City, New York 10011
212-627-1144

Open Mon-Thur 12-2:45pm, 5-9:30pm, Fri-Sat 12-2:45pm, 5-10pm, Sun 12-2:45pm, 5-9pm.

First Review by cassius
VeganLin
VeganLin

Two Great Dinners

5 Posted on 03 / 30 / 2014

I was looking for a place to have dinner last weekend before heading home from New York City. I had been to Blossom before and enjoyed it. I was in the vicinity so decided to go back. I was able to walk in and get a table early on a Sunday night. The place filled up while I was eating and there was a wait for a table. I ordered the Cape Cod Cakes for an appetizer and got four nice sized cakes. I took two of them home. I had the seitan special for my entree and it was delicious. I tried the lemon cheesecake for dessert and that was the only disappointment. It looked wonderful, but was just ok. I have had better vegan cheesecake elsewhere. The best was at Horizons in Philadelphia which closed a couple of years ago. The owners have since opened Vedge. The waiter recommended different desserts and I should have gone with one of his suggestions. I had a lovely conversation with the couple sitting next to me and it was a great experience. It is a small, intimate restaurant, but not romantic. The staff was great. They held my backpack for me so it would not be in the way. It turned out to be a great choice. I had been there once before with my cousin to celebrate my birthday. At that time I had the cashew cream ravioli which was recommended by the waiter. It was a great suggestion. I had the seitan scaloppini for my entree at that time. It was also very good. So I have been very happy with Blossom on two visits for dinner.
Updated from previous review on Sunday March 30, 2014

Updated from previous review on Sunday March 30, 2014

Pros: Helpful staff, Friendly atmosphere, All vegan
Soul2Soul Educare
Soul2Soul Educare

Cold & Over-priced!

2 Posted on 02 / 17 / 2014

My husband and I went to this restaurant to celebrate an early Valentine's Day but boy were we disappointed. First of all based on the upscale restaurant standards of the South, we were anticipating a really nice restaurant - the place looked like it was someone's old apartment! The restrooms were so ugly and not at all what you would expect from an upscale restaurant. The service was sub-par. The food was delicious but very limited especially for the exorbitant prices they charge! Plus the place had no central heating, and we were freezing our pants off - so much so that I had to put my big coat on throughout my dining experience, which made eating very uncomfortable! All in all, we were not happy with this restaurant and would not recommend it. I kind of ruined my Valentine's Day celebration.

Pros: Good Food and presentation
Cons: Too Cold, Too Expensive, Service not that great
s144799
s144799

Expensive, small portions, and just ok

2 Posted on 12 / 25 / 2013

The restaurant is very pricey but the portions are very small and food could be found equally as good for cheaper elsewhere. Fancier location than most.

Pros: 100% veg
Cons: Food is pricey, Food is expensive
greenLOVE
greenLOVE

NOT a fan

2 Posted on 11 / 30 / 2013

Even though it is vegan their food is fried and had sugar in their deserts. and what we paid for two people. we will not be back soon…it way to pricey,not impressed.
Updated from previous review on Saturday November 30, 2013

Cons: Price, fried food, sugar
veggiewoman
veggiewoman

Vegan Fine Dining

5 Posted on 11 / 18 / 2013

I went to Blossom on a Saturday night in November. We called around 7 pm hoping they were not too busy - and they said they could seat us (a group of 3) at 8pm.

The restaurant has a nice ambience at dinner time. The menu is varied and eclectic, with nut-free and gluten-free options identified.

Among the three of us we ordered a lemon seitan scaloppini that was delightful (and I generally don't enjoy seitan very much), a risotto, and a platter consisting of various samplings, like quinoa, brussel sprouts, etc. Some dishes on the menu were very unusual and fancy-sounding (like pistachio dusted tofu, whipped parsnip and "calamari").

I almost got the lasagna, it looked really good and the person beside me eating it said that it was delicious (he and his date also raved about everything else they were eating).

Overall, the food was pretty good and the service was very friendly.

The real stand-out item, however, was the dessert. We ordered the ice cream trio (made by Lola's - which I will review under that name but it was, in short, unbelievable), and the tiramisu. Blossom is worth a visit just for the vegan tiramisu. It is heavenly. There is a layer that tastes just like whipped cream and I honestly liked it better than the non-vegan tiramisu I had in Italy several years ago.

If you are traveling to NYC, Blossom is worth a trip. FYI I paired it with going to the Upright Citizens Brigade, which is a comedy show just up the street in Chelsea.

Pros: Unique dishes, Tiramisu, Great service
Cons: Wheelchair accessibility, A little pricey

Lunch Bra lunch

4 Posted on 11 / 13 / 2013

Bra lunch Vi åt flera rätter och de vara alla OK. Kanske inte så fantastisk som jag hade förväntat mig

MHC48
MHC48

Take a non-Veg person

3 Posted on 09 / 19 / 2013

I think they go a bit too far in trying to make fancy dishes out of vegan and vegetarian ingredients but Blossom is a restaurant where I can go with non-vegans and non vegetarian foodies and know that they will find something interesting to eat, and will probably be quite surprised that they liked it.

It is though quite expensive.

Pros: Imaginative, You can go with non vegans
Cons: Expensive, Some dishes they try too hard
kennyp353
kennyp353

Gone downhill a lot in the last few years

2 Posted on 08 / 27 / 2013

Went for the first time in several years, and it was disappointing. Expensive, unadventurous, overrated. Their seitan used to be amazing; in both of our dishes it was bland. The hickory smoke sauce in one dish was like it had just been microwaved out of a Maggi sachet and poured on like gravy. Pity, the greens and fries and mash were pretty decent - but at over $20 a plate, this place is a joke. The place was heaving on a Monday night, we had to wait 40 minutes for a table. Service was friendly and efficient. But we left $90 lighter with only a tale of never-again to show for it. Pity, since Blossom Du Jour in Hells Kitchen is outstanding.

Pros: good service
Cons: bland and disappointing, poor value, too busy
Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

amazing food

5 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2013

We went to Blossom on our first night in NYC as we were staying in Chelsea. We had 8pm reservations and the atmosphere was already dimmed for the evening. We were seated by the front windows. The service was attentive and we started with a beer each. We proceeded to appetizers of porcini cigars and ravioli. Amazing! Such delicate and subtle layered flavors. For entrees, we shared the hickory BBQ tempeh and the special of pecan Dijon crusted seitan. Both were delicious. For dessert, we had the lavender crème brulee. Overall, we had a lovely dinner and look forward to returning on our next trip to NYC.

Pros: lovely food, nice atmosphere, good service
Reader
Reader

Decent. Room For Improvement.

3 Posted on 07 / 09 / 2013

Food was quite good and interesting, but a bit pricy . Not a fan of the automatic gratuity for 5+, I usually tip well and thought this should reserved for larger groups like most restaurants do. Also, bathroom upstairs and narrow entrance way, definitely not cool for those disabilities. Service was okay not great, he did wait for our last person to arrive before ordering, but seemed to be short with us.

Pros: Good Food
Cons: Automatic Gratuity , Ehh Service, Pricy
jenly
jenly

Mandatory gratuity = horrible service

2 Posted on 07 / 02 / 2013

We are often in the Chelsea neighborhood on Sunday afternoons and frequently my children beg to eat here. They like the burgers and I am partial to the chickn caesar. My husband is usually on the fence since the food is a bit rich and sometimes he gets a stomach ache after a meal here.

We are a family of five and the gratuity is automatically added to our bill. I am not sure if that is the prime reason for why we are ignored by the server most of the time, but that is pretty much what happens. We've eaten here many times--we even came for Thanksgiving last year--and more often than not my blood is boiling by the end of the meal.

After my last visit, I swore them off, especially since they took the apple cigars off the lunch dessert menu. Unfortunately, the Candles are a bit of a trek for us and frequently booked up. So we'll probably return at some point.

Pros: vegan, food is usually well-prepared, convenient Chelsea location
Cons: terrible service at lunch, really, the service is terrible, expensive
ronitw
ronitw

Great Dinner

5 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2013

We enjoyed dinner with a bottle of wine... Everything was wonderful and we licked the plates clean. Looking forward to our next NY trip.

Pros: Great food, nice environment
adamrowland
adamrowland

A lovely winter warmer

4 Posted on 02 / 19 / 2013

We had one night in New York and wanted somewhere special for dinner to meet an old friend. Blossom did not disappoint!

It was a Friday night and the restaurant downstairs was a hive of activity - we'd made a reservation in advance, which was definitely a good idea.

The food here is sensational! In many respects the cuisine is down-to-earth, good quality, hearty fare and just what we needed on a bitterly cold February evening. The food is well-presented, bursting with flavour and creativity but without any of the pretension of other restaurants in this price bracket. I had the port wine seitan, which was incredibly delicious and flavoursome. Others in our party had the seitan scaloppini and tofu in brandy cream. Unsurprisingly, there were clean plates all round!

Although at the higher end in terms of price, the portion size and quality still renders Blossom relatively good value for money. The service was also friendly and patient.

Highly recommended!

Pros: Creative menu, The food!, The service
Cons: Quite expensive, Small dining room
Aiden Shaw
Aiden Shaw

EXCELLENT

5 Posted on 01 / 07 / 2013

Finally veganism is being treated like any other business. i find many vegan establishments across europe are a little weird, often cold, not designed to be comfortable, & with no sense of aesthetic. However, this restaurant is a nice place to be as well as serving the food i wanted. The manager engages with you, and the waiter - the 2 times i went - was efficient, really fast, and dead cute. Afterwards, I went to the bakery across the road ran by same people, and had the only sugar free desert on offer. I'd liked to have had more choice. yet, saying that, it was absolutely delicious! H I G H L Y R E C O M M E N D E D. & i'd a fussy bugger. x

Pros: friendly, tasty, cozy
Cons: nothing really, but they could serve, more suger free deserts, wish it was in Cheslea, london
Michellemarra
Michellemarra

Superb!!!

5 Posted on 09 / 23 / 2012

My husband and I dined at Blossom last Saturday night. We were late because of traffic, but they couldn't have been more accommodating. We had a small romantic table by the window which afforded us a view of all the content diners inside and the hustle and bustle of the street outside.
Our waiter was friendly, knowledgable and efficient. We ordered the Cod Cakes based on how appetizing they looked at a adjoining table. They were perfect with the right amount of flavor. I ordered the entree special that night and my husband order the BBQ Tempeh. Both were outstanding, but we both agreed mine was better. Our dessert of Apple and Caramel was not up to par. The pastry was doughy and bland. The ice cream brought it out of the doldrums though. We will go back when we are in NYC again. Definitely worth a trip!
Updated from previous review on Sunday September 23, 2012

Pros: Inventive, Friendly, Flavorful
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Blossom

5 Posted on 09 / 15 / 2012

I had a spectacular dinner at Blossom Du Jour in August. The wines were good and the black-eyed pea cake appetizer was excellent. The Caesar salad was tasty, but small, and could have been bigger. The seitan scaloppini was expertly crafted and well flavored. I'm pleased with my experience, Blossom Du Jour is now a go-to place for me in NYC.

dana5306
dana5306

Excellent NYC choice

4 Posted on 09 / 04 / 2012

Had a wonderful meal here. If you can only have one expensive vegan meal in NYC though, I would recommend Candle 79. However, this place is fantastic.

Pros: atmosphere, large menu, taste
sullivans
sullivans

Outstanding

5 Posted on 06 / 19 / 2012

I am used to Vege and Vegan restaurants in Europe. i.e often pathetic, second rate, religion based, amateur management, etc.
So it was so fantastic to dine at a restaurant which is vege and high quality too. Ate there 3 times in a row! I would have eaten there every night for a month to try everything, I loved it so much.
We also enjoyed Candle 79, which cost a bit more.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday June 19, 2012
Updated from previous review on Tuesday June 19, 2012

Pros: Good prices, Varied menu, Vegan too
newspanishvegan
newspanishvegan

Vegan bliss on a plate

5 Posted on 06 / 13 / 2012

I wish I'd had a big party of friends with me so we could have ordered everything from the menu and tried a bit of it all. What I had was superb and specially the desserts, of which I greedily had 2. How anyone can make vegan food taste SO good I do not know. You genuinely couldn't tell that it wasn't so-called "normal" ingredients. Everything was served so prettily on the plate. A true fine dining experience. I am sure more non-vegans would eat vegan food if they knew it could be this tasty. And the venue was perfect too. Really excellent little restaurant, helpful staff. All in all a 10 out of 10 experience

Pros: brilliant food, friendly staff, nice surroundings
Cons: none!
natz
natz

Still wonderful and romantic

5 Posted on 06 / 08 / 2012

Visited late 2009 for first time and had an amazing meal. Back in June 2012 and were keen to revisit, not disappointed. We managed to book a table easily through their online reservations for the same day. We had the special which was a seitan steak with peppercorn sauce and the port wine seitan mains. Both were stunning but of particular note was the cauliflower mash which was heaven!! Dessert was the lavender crime brulée which was nice but would have liked a different crime brulée to be on the menu as this was on back in 2009. Also has the choc chip cookie ice cream which was from lulas sweet apothecary (see separate review) which was ok but not amazing, was a bit too crystalline. Overall stunning and very highly recommended as is BLossom du jour which we had San.dwiches from a couple of days later. Original post below

Updated from previous review on Friday June 08, 2012Went here on our first night in NYC after a long flight and we didn't have a reservation but were lucky to get a table cancellation. It was excellent! The rose wine was amazing (Californian Zinfandel) and the atmosphere was very romantic with lots of candles and an intimate space (not much bigger than someone's living room). Service was excellent with the server being really helpful in pointing out things on the menu. Didn't have starters because we saw how big the mains were and wanted to leave room for dessert. Had the bolognaise fettucine and the port wine seitan and both were massive and tasted fantastic. Desserts ordered were lavender and coconut creme brulee and the chocolate cake. The creme brulee was nothing special, nice but I've had better, but as my husband is vegan he'd never tasted a creme brulee before and he enjoyed it. The chocolate cake was rich and decadent, with a lovely peanut butter drizzle over it. Expensive but completely worth it for a romantic dinner - just because we're vegan doesn't mean we're cheap and we're happy to pay fine dining prices if that's what we receive. Reservation is recommended though!
Updated from previous review on Sunday January 10, 2010

Pros: amazing food, gorgeous atmosphere, great friendly staff
Cons: need more wine choices on the menu, could give smaller portions
turtleveg
turtleveg

5 Posted on 05 / 22 / 2012

We had a party of 7 (with reservation) for a celebratory dinner and Blossom did not disappoint! The food was superb and the service and atmosphere were great. Favorites included the ravioli with cashew cream, porcini cigars, and the port wine seitan. They are very accommodating to gluten-free as well. Don't miss the creme brulee for dessert!!

your_ad_here
your_ad_here

Yummy food!

4 Posted on 02 / 03 / 2012

The food here was good albeit expensive. The service and atmosphere was also good. I had a chestnut soup, the seitan scallopini and cheesecake for dessert. I absolutely loved the soup and cheesecake, but I thought the seitan was too soft and mushy. Which was a shame because the sauce it was in was delicious. While I'd happily eat here again but I probably wouldn't get any of their seitan dishes. Overall tho, it was pretty great and I'll be back next time I'm visiting NYC.

Pros: good food, good service
Cons: mushy seitan, expensive
joseykitson
joseykitson

amazing food

5 Posted on 01 / 04 / 2012

The food here was amazing! I've been trying in vain to find a restaurant the comes close to Millenium (San Fran) and finally I found it. Too bad it isn't in my home town!

Pros: excellent food, excellent wine, great service
Cons: smallish , bathroom is upstairs
mellymel1
mellymel1

Amazing!!

5 Posted on 12 / 14 / 2011

Visited this restaurant on 9th Dec, forgot to book ahead but called on the day and managed to get a late table. The food was amazing, I had the eggplant rolatini followed by the port wine seitan, both were fantastic, beautiful flavours & presentation, some of the best vegan food I have ever eaten. Service and drinks menu were good and I will definately return when I am in New York again. Fantastic!!!

Pros: amazing food, great vegan choices, good service
estefinparis
estefinparis

Delicious

4 Posted on 09 / 16 / 2011

We had dinner at Blossom just after arriving in NYC - we had booked a table for 8.30 pm and by the time we got there the jetlag was seriously kicking in. Also, the lighting here was so dim we feared we would fall asleep, plus we couldn't even see our dishes properly, which was a bit annoying. Fortunately the food was very good, particularly the mains: portobello osso-bucco, which was made to look like the real thing and with the dark lighting was a bit scary... and port wine seitan with garlic mashed potatoes. Both very good! Not so much, in our opinion, the seitan empanadas we had for starters, which were a bit dry. We visited on a Friday night and it was packed, people kept coming in and being turned away so make sure you make a reservation!

Marte P
Marte P

What a gem!

5 Posted on 06 / 15 / 2011

We went to Blossom twice during our stay in NYC. The first day we had lunch here, where I had the soy bacon cheeseburger and my partner had the Tuscan portobello sandwich. I was a bit disappointed that they didn't have the Philly Cheese steak that was on their menu online, but we were both happy with our meal. We shared the chocolate ganache with soy ice cream for dessert, and it was absolutely divine - but I do recommend sharing it, as it is quite a bite.. but ooh so good. Our waiter was really nice, and the restaurant itself is just lovely.

The day after we went back for dinner, and this was such a lovely experience. We had a different waiter, equally nice as the guy the day before, and enjoyed an amazing three course meal. After reading the recommendations here, we had the Porcini cigars for starter, and they are just to die for. This must be one of the best starters I have ever had, and if you ever come there, do not miss them. We also had today's soup (tomato and chick peas) which was quite bland.

As an entree, I had the port wine seitan which was very good, but didn't quite live up to my expectations after reading so much about it here. My partner had the rigatoni in porcini cream, and he did not so much eat his meal than inhale it - apparently it was one of the best pastas he has ever had (he is very much an omnivore). For dessert we shared a lavender and coconut creme brulee. I can swear that I would have never in a million years known this was vegan if it was served to me in a regular restaurant. It was absolutely exquisite. Coming from Norway, the prices are not high at all, and it is so worth it. Great in every way.

Pros: Amazing food, Great service, Great ambience
Cons: Bland soup
vegified
vegified

great food, couldn't hear myself think

4 Posted on 06 / 06 / 2011

came here for my dad's birthday (who is not vegan or even vegetarian but enjoys vegan food). all the food was really great. didn't have anything we didn't like. the only issue was that we couldn't really hear each other because it was so loud. but i mean, it's nyc. most places are like that. and the fact that it was completely packed on a mon night really says a lot. the friendly service and yummy food more than made up for the loud noise.

vali
vali

Could be better

3 Posted on 11 / 24 / 2010

The food was not really impressive, the wraps were burned. Also the service could have done better. Not value for money.

rvasquez
rvasquez

Great food, but not amazing.

4 Posted on 10 / 06 / 2010

Blossom was great, the food I had was great and the food my friend had was great, but it was just missing that certain little something that would have made it truly amazing. It is very swanky and expensive and the presentation was beautiful, but for that price the food should have been knock you over the head amazing and it just wasn't. Again I cannot stress enough that the food was really good and I love that it was all vegan, I just wish I had been blown away.

Pros: Great Food, Beautiful Presentation
Cons: Expensive
Monica Bauldry
Monica Bauldry

100% Delicious - You HAVE to Go!

5 Posted on 09 / 29 / 2010

This is the first 100% vegan restaurant I have ever been to, so I was very excited. The seating was a little too close to the next table and the dining area was very loud, but this is just something you come to expect in NYC. Once the wine and food came out, any shortcomings were forgotten. We had the Cape Cod Cakes (a blend of seaweed, tofu, herbs and spices, served with a vegan tartar sauce). I literally do not have words to describe these: delectable, heavenly, scrumptious? Words don't do them justice. My friend (a meat-eater) said it was the best tartar sauce she'd ever had! My main course was the Pistachio and Pepper-Dusted Tofu. This was served over a roasted root vegetable crepe with a lemon truffle sauce; a mixed greens salad tossed in red beet vinaigrette finished the dish. $20 is much more than a vegan typically pays for an entrée, but this was worth every penny (and then some)! I have never tasted anything so blissfully luscious. I am still sad I didn't have room for dessert, but that will have to wait for my next visit!

Pros: Fantastic Food, Friendly Service, Beautiful Dishes
Cons: Loud, Crowded
behindthelines
behindthelines

one of the best veg restos in NYC

4 Posted on 07 / 18 / 2010

One of the best veg restaurants we went to during our week in NYC. A bit pricy, but well worth it. Excellent food, nicely presented. Cosy atmosphere, although tables a bit cramped/small.
We were there on Saturday for lunch (at noon), no reservation, and still had plenty of tables available.
Dessert was excellent, although would be a great idea to have dessert in Cocoa V (vegan chocolate and wine bar) just on the opposite side of the street.

Restrooms are - bit steep - upstairs.

Pros: atmosphere, gourmet food, friendly
Cons: small tables
bonhommesoleil
bonhommesoleil

Doesn't get any better

5 Posted on 05 / 25 / 2010

Consistently delicious food. Our favourite when visiting NYC. The Porcini Flutes were mouth watering and the cheese cake is to die for. No one will walk away disappointed from Blossom!

aeclarke
aeclarke

Great Place

4 Posted on 05 / 23 / 2010

We went here for the first time tonight. What a great place! The food was amazing and wait staff was so helpful. We didn't have a reservation but they found a spot for us anyway. Our appetizer was sweet potato rolls and they were great, especially the dipping sauce! We over heard the couple behind us saying he could eat that everyday for the rest of his life and die happy. My only complain about the whole meal was coffee, it really wasn't strong enough for me. Definitely a great vegan place in the city.

rach
rach

Lovely place

4 Posted on 05 / 20 / 2010

Very cute place, nice food, beautiful organic wine. Ambiance is nice for a romantic dinner out. Would recommend trying this place.

Pros: Ambiance, Good food
Cons: Dont do pre-dinner cocktails
Sprout
Sprout

Elegant and delicious

5 Posted on 05 / 19 / 2010

I was excited to eat at Blossom, but forgot to make reservations for a Friday night dinner. The host was incredibly nice and squeezed us in, and even though we knew we couldn't have a lingering dinner because someone had the table reserved in a little over an hour, the staff never made us feel like we had to rush our meal. We had the porcini cigars for an app and loved them. Beautiful presentation. My brother had the lasagna and declared it the best he'd had (and he's not veg.) I had the pistachio and pepper crusted tofu with lemon reduction served over a sweet potato-filled crepe. The presentation for the mains was also gorgeous, and both tasted incredible. The serving sizes were just right; I felt satisfied but not overly stuffed. We didn't have room for dessert, but, from the looks of the dessert on other patrons' tables, they seemed guaranteed to be delicious. This is definitely a place to celebrate a special occasion and treat yourself to some fine vegan cuisine.

Pros: elegant space/presentation, delicious , vegan gourmet
veggiegoth
veggiegoth

good good

4 Posted on 03 / 23 / 2010

blossom has been around for several years now but i have only gone a few times due to my lack of having veggie friends. the few times i have gone it has been quite good. i would like to go more often once i find some fellow veggies.

sglcklch
sglcklch

Disappointed

3 Posted on 03 / 18 / 2010

Had dinner here with my boyfriend (omnivore) a few nights ago during our trip to NYC. Unfortunately it turned out to be bit of a disappointment especially after reading all the other great reviews. We ordered the parsnip cappelletti and cape cod cakes for starters. The cappelletti was very salty and just bland; the little cakes (which looked more like balls actually) were OK, not outstanding though. Then for entree I did the phyllo roulade, which was tasty but far from impressive. My boyfriend had the lasagna, which didn't really have any flavor other than salt. He said it was not bad but for sure isn't worth the price.

As an upscale vegan restaurant, they have beautiful decor, nice ambiance, a very innovative menu, and fancy food presentation. But given this food quality, I think we will try somewhere else when we visit the city next time.

Pros: decor, ambiance, food presentation
Cons: salty, bland
DC Vegan
DC Vegan

Delicious upscale dining in Chelsea

4 Posted on 02 / 15 / 2010

My boyfriend and I were in town for the day on our way to Upstate NYC and chose to dine at Blossom. I would come here more often but 1) we don't get to NYC nearly as often as I would like, 2) there is a plethora of options for veg*ans in NYC, and 3) it is kind of expensive. But oh, is it worth it!

We started our most recent visit with the Porcini Cigars. The cashew pesto in which they were served was divine, and I was thrilled when a pomegrante seed popped tartly in my mouth. We both got seitan for dinner; he got the Scaloppine, while I got the Port Wine Seitan. One bite of my entree, and I almost had a foodgasm, it was so good. The flavor was rich and hearty. The mashed potatoes were silky and creamy, and the spinach peeking out from underneath the potato/fried-onion construction was tender and garlicky. I tried a bite of his Scaloppine, and it was nice, but I wanted to concentrate on my dinner. For dessert, we shared the Lavendar Coconut Creme Brulee, and oh, it was heaven. Yes, I'm vegan, but I still love my desserts. I loved how the sugar crust melted on my tongue and the smooth and creamy custard was a perfect ending.

My only complaint is that it is rather dark inside. I like ambiance as much as the next person, but I also want to be able to see the beautiful presentation of the dishes. A little more light on the subject, and I would have given it five stars. Still, whether you're vegan or not, this is a perfect date-night destination if you are looking for a good, romantic meal.

Pros: delicious food, excellent service
Cons: a bit too dark inside, some tables are rather close together
  • Nelson Nelson

Blossom is not located in Chelsea -- it's on the Upper West Side.

• DC Vegan DC Vegan

The location I went to is in Chelsea. 187 9th Avenue is between 21st and 22nd streets.

forestfairy
forestfairy

PURE HEAVEN!

5 Posted on 02 / 06 / 2010

I love blossom! The food is outstanding, the service is fabulous, and yes it's pricey but it's totally worth every penny!! My husband and I love the crab cakes, ravioli with cashew cream sauce, and the caesar salad....
We compare it to Candle 79- if you love Candle, then you'll love blossom.

Pros: excellent food, great service, cozy atmosphere
Cons: expensive
radamscooks
radamscooks

Simply the best!

5 Posted on 12 / 22 / 2009

After arriving in NYC from Boston on a Friday evening we headed to Blossom, but were turned away because we hadn't made reservations. We returned to the area on Sunday evening because we wanted to go to Cocoa V to purchase treats to bring home for Christmas. Blossom was very quiet and we got right in at 8 pm. The food was amazing. Absolutely one of the best meals I've ever eaten. I disagree that it's expensive because I believe you get what you pay for and I felt that the meal was exceptional and well worth the price. My only comment, and one I would make to many of the places I dine is, please, learn how to make a good cup of tea. When I order a pot of green jasmine tea in any restaurant that use loose leaf tea, they almost always leave the leaves in too long resulting in a bitter brew. An exceptional meal with undrinkable tea is just wrong.
If you have the opportunity, don't miss Blossom! Vegan food at it's best!

Pros: excellent food, great ambience, will satisfy non-vegans
Cons: overbrewed tea
brentonagony
brentonagony

I loved this Place!

5 Posted on 12 / 05 / 2009

I was in New York for 10 days and I dined at this place twice.

Great food. Great atmosphere and friendly service. I had the port wine Seitan (I think that was the name of the dish). The creamy mash potato which came with the meal was served in a deep fried onion and had a side serving of spinach.

The ravioli is also amazing!

This place is a little pricey though.

DiaShel
DiaShel

5 Posted on 10 / 17 / 2009

Went here with a big group to benefit farm sanctuary. It was my first time. The food knocked my socks off. We had the Melbec wine which was so good. I had potato leek soup which was also delicious. Then my entree came... I had gotten hickory smoked tempeh which came with collards greens, fingerling potatoes and a "cream" sauce. It was the best meal I ever had. I was in food heaven. The desert was eh. I had a bite of all of them and the chocolate gnache was probably best. The service was really great.

Pros: service, atmosphere, quality of food
Cons: desert
Kell Bell
Kell Bell

Pricey but creative and tasty!

4 Posted on 09 / 03 / 2009

Three of us went here for a late lunch - which I think they only offer Friday-Sunday. We were the only ones there so we got excellent service. Our waiter was friendly, knowledgeable, and our water glasses were never less than 3/4 full! They have a decent lunch menu with a choice of three starters, three salads, four sandwiches, and around 10 entrees of some italian inspired dishes, burrito, and some breakfast fare. Oh, and some soups, too. Between the three of us, we got the BLT, philly sandwich, and the breakfast tofu scramble. Not a crumb was left on any of the plates. I've had vegan BLT's before, but this was extra special on ciabatta bread and a thin slice of fried tofu that gave it an extra oomf. Best BLT I've ever had. The prices for lunch range from $10 for starters and salads, to $12-21 for sandwiches and entrees. It's a bit pricey, but hey, it's manhattan.

Pros: Good Food, Nice selection
Bow
Bow

Over-rated

3 Posted on 07 / 27 / 2009

This restaurant is good, but not as great as the reviews or the price had led me to expect. I went with a group of six, and the waiters certainly made us feel bad for turning up without a reservation (though it was before peak time), even though it was not as hard as they claimed to find a seat for us. Otherwise, the service was fine. I was the only vegan at the table, and shared the seitan ravioli, which were tasty. My co-diners seemed happy with their salads, although I tried one and found the dressing too strongly flavoured and over-bearing. I was not impressed with my main course (the port wine seitan, which tasted so strongly of wine as to drown out any other flavour, and came with limp cabbage and sickly potato in a deep-fried onion), nor with that of my partner (seitan stroganoff, which was surprisingly bland and stodgy). The desserts were better, with the chocolate ganache and the cheesecake both being very tasty, although the lavender creme brule eaten by a co-diner apparently had no lavender taste at all.
Overall, the food was satisfactory, but certainly not the best in NYC, and not worth the price.

Pros: Desserts, All-vegan
Cons: Price, Main courses, Over-rated
  • kindlizard kindlizard

Certainly your taking offense to the suggestion for a reservation colored your experience there. Understandably, when often we diners are rubbed the wrong way as we enter the door, sometimes we are over-critical or overly sensitive to our senses. I bet if you tried everything you didn't like again, you might like half of them.

But certainly, a party of 6, especially at a nice place (regardless if you agree, it has a great reputation and is often busy and is well respected) you need a reservation especially in New York City!! I can read you were perturbed by this, but it is very common courtesy to make reservations so the kitchen can plan on accommodating all orders in a timely fashion. That goes in most places, most major cities, but of course in NYC. Though there may have been open tables, you don't know if they were being reserved by those who DID call in a reservation.

Anything to take away from this is to make reservations at nice places, esp w tables of 5 or more, and always in NYC, and to then relax and enjoy the food. You are the one paying for it, you got in, just enjoy it. Just my advice for you next time...

lilmammal
lilmammal

Delicious!

5 Posted on 06 / 23 / 2009

WOW! This was some of the tastiest food I've ever eaten, vegan or not. We had the pesto-tofu appetizer, port wine seitan, and chocolate ganache for desert. Fantastic! The environment was classy and chic. Pricey, but worth it. Be sure to make reservations.

Pros: amazing vegan food, ambience, service
Cons: expensive
lebfam
lebfam

Wonderful & Romantic Meal

5 Posted on 11 / 20 / 2008

I finally went to Blossom this past weekend and it was incredible. My husband had the black-eye pea cake and the Crispy Thai Tofu. Our friend had the port wine seitan, I had the phyllo Roulade. Everything was excellent. The service was fantastic and the atmosphere was very romantic and fun. The flavorings and textures were just right and the ingredients seemed very fresh. We splurged and had dessert, which was a bit much after the large portions. (If you are sensitive to oil ask about the dessert ingredients before indulging). It is expensive, but worth it for a special occasion.

Pros: Excellent Food, Menu, Service
Cons: Expense
button
button

Perfect!

5 Posted on 08 / 13 / 2008

Amazing gourmet cuisine prepared with care. Beautiful modern decor, outstanding service! I had a thoroughly enjoyable experience eating here. The only complaint was that there was too many delicious looking items on the menu- I couldn't make up my mind!

Pros: Perfect, perfect, Perfect
malu
malu

lucky birthday

5 Posted on 08 / 10 / 2008

if you are looking for a wonderful food to melt in your mouth, this is the place, from the delicious raviolis with cashew sauce to the lavender dessert, my husband and i we really enjoy his birthday, and the staff was very attentive too in a discrete way.

brooklynVeg
brooklynVeg

Best Soy Cheese Ever -

5 Posted on 07 / 15 / 2008

The portobello sandwich has the best soy cheese I've ever had - it tastes good to eat on it's own! For dessert you have to go with the chocolate ganache!

vegan-d
vegan-d

Vegan Gourmet!

5 Posted on 05 / 25 / 2008

My son, a carnivore, and my cousin along with her family, also carnivores, went to this restuarant during our recent visit.

Incredible! How wonderful to be able to ask for anything on the menue and not have to worry about it containing cruelty.

The food was so good that there was not a scrap left on anyone's plate. It is pricey, but that's the price for gourmet. It isn't somewhere that most of us could frequent (sigh) but for an occasional treat-- it is very much worth it.

The desserts were delicate and wonderfully rich.

My son and I snuck back for a second time before our trip was over...

Ambiance good, service good, food amazing!

Unfortunately, they were not able to accomodate my nightshade plant abstinance and I suffered for a couple of months with the arthritis pain-- but it was almost worth it.

veggielissa
veggielissa

Yummy Delish

4 Posted on 02 / 08 / 2008

Blossom is classy and tasty. They are a bit pricey for a student's budget but well worth a special occasion. the black eyed pea cake is great as well as their mashed potatoes.

Pros: tasty, classy, intimate
Cons: pricey
vegantraveler
vegantraveler

Great Breakfast!

5 Posted on 01 / 26 / 2008

Very good and traditional Tofu Scramble. I wish I could have come back for dinner, maybe next visit!

Pros: Nice Decor, Great Staff
christina824
christina824

My new favorite restaurant

5 Posted on 01 / 22 / 2008

I went to Blossom for my birthday, and it was the best meal I've ever had. We started off with the special salad which was a pesto brushed tofu over frisse, peas, corn, and cherry tomatos - delicious. Then my entree was the special that night - seitan marsala, which was AMAZING. The veggies with it were cooked perfectly, and I've never had seitan so good before. My sister had the phyllo roulade which was not bad, but it tasted more Indian than I expected it was. The swiss chard it was served over was great. The desserts were all very good too. We ordered one of each for the table. Here are my rankings for them from best to worst: Vegan cheesecake, Chocolate ganache, Banana Maple Tart, Apple Cinnamon Sticks. The vegan cheesecake was AMAZING;I would highly reccommend it. The place is a bit pricey, but it's completely worth it for the quality of the food. I can't wait to go back :)

Pros: Great food, Comfortable
Cons: Expensive
mr.pancakes
mr.pancakes

it's pretty

4 Posted on 12 / 14 / 2007

it's pretty in there and not to filled and loud..
i had the butterfly turnover.and it was pretty good.
go there!!

Guest

black eyed pea cake was sooo good!

5 Posted on 10 / 10 / 2007

I had the black eyed pea cake and grilled asparagus for my meal and the cheesecake for dessert. The black eyed pea cake was so good! I could of eaten 2 more of them but that would cost too much. It was pricey for the asparagus ($6 for 5 stalks) but it was good. The cheesecake was just average & pricey at $8 a slice)I had better. Definatly would go again but would have to save up for this. the hours are differnt then what the happy cow site state. Lunch fri, sat , sun 12-2:45 and supper-5-10 and to 1030 on weekends,.

Pros: clean, diffent flavors
Cons: toilet unflushed
kindlizard
kindlizard

Outstanding

5 Posted on 10 / 02 / 2007

Very meticulous and sensationally prepared cuisine. I think this place is excellent and should be considered in the top echelon in the city and the country for veg food. Wonderfully creatively conceived and powerfully executed. I bring people here and not one has been disappointed. I have been several times and had varying portions size, but when I mentioned it they were very kind and responsive. Expensive as all the fine cuisine is... highly recommended! I actually wrote a thank you to the chef for being so inspired after our meal.

Pros: Creative, phenomenal taste, perfect balance on the plate
Cons: varying portion size, but they will reme
captown
captown

Good vegan gourmet food...

4 Posted on 08 / 22 / 2007

I went here recently with a party of four, everyone enjoyed their food and thought that the service was very attentive. We had a very good wine there which was reasonably priced (it was the cheapest on the menu), and they give reasonable portions for their prices.

Pros: cozy, great food, decent value
jillian
jillian

excellent vegan fine dining

5 Posted on 08 / 05 / 2007

Fantanstic menu! For a three course meal, I recommend the black eyed pea pie, savory seitan and cheesecake. The prices may make it necessary to save this one for a special occasion - dinner for two (with tip) cost around $100. For fine dining, the portions are large. My favorite part about this restaurant, besides the delicious food, is that the menu states "caring for animals" is their main priority (as opposed to serving health food). Also, there are no 'animal-flavored' dishes. Highly recommended!

Pros: 100% vegan, organic menu, professional staff, chic atmosphere
OneChubbyVegan
OneChubbyVegan

Incredible, inventive, beautiful vegan food!

5 Posted on 07 / 24 / 2007

Oh. My. Stars. This place doesn't look like much when you enter, but by the time you sit down and look at the expansive menu of meals you'd never dreamed of cooking even with 100 vegan cookbooks on your bookshelf, it doesn't matter. The waitstaff is incredibly friendly which is a plus, because in Manhattan, sometimes waitstaff gets snooty which is a big turnoff. For starters, we had the curried potato appetizer and the ravioli. You've never had anything like this ravioli. It's worth it to go for this alone. My husband had the feijoada. It was so beautiful and delicious I almost wished I'd ordered it, too! Not to say that my seitan scallopine wasn't good. It was awesome... especially the chard and the potatoes on the side. We made room for dessert and had the ganache and the cheesecake. You'd never believe it was vegan. Heaven on a plate. It will be hard to choose a different restaurant once we go into Manhattan again.

Pros: Organic, local grown, Artfully plated food, Cozy ambiance

Great Food & Celebrities

5 Posted on 07 / 13 / 2007

Went to Blossom the other night for the first time and was blown away! The food was the best vegan meal I have ever had. Amazing seitan and the dessert (cheesecake) was unbelievable! Only wish they had a more extensive coffee selection. Oh, and did I mention I saw Moby and Mike Meyers there? Couldn't believe it, but the waiter confirmed my eyes weren't deceiving me. Wow what a great night!

Pros: Amazing Food, Cozy & Clean Environment, Star Gazing

Excellent vegan dining

5 Posted on 06 / 29 / 2007

Blossom has bumped Counter down to #2 and become my #1 favorite vegan restaurant in NYC. This place rivals Millennium in San Francisco in terms of quality of food and presentation. Yes, it's going to be a little pricey, and you may have to wait on a Friday/Saturday night - but I assure you that it's absolutely worth it.

Pros: Excellent food, Fine dining experience, Knowledgeable staff
Cons: Busy on the weekend
flamekat
flamekat

5 Posted on 06 / 18 / 2007

My husband and I ate here while visiting from London on June 7. We both really enjoyed the entire experience. The atmosphere was great--chic, yet relaxing. I can't remember which wine we had--just that it was a French white and very nice. For starters we had the black bean cake and the tofu beet salad, both of which were delish. For the main course, he chose the feijoada and I had the Carnival. His was absolutely excellent, very flavorful with sweet potato curls on top. Mine was very good. The kale and yucca croquettes were perfect. The mojo tempeh didn't seem like it had been marinated long enough--it could do with a bit more kick, but I enjoyed it. For dessert, we shared the chocolate ganache and gourmet cheesecake, both of which were very good. The ganache is very rich, and I'm glad I was sharing, cause I couldn't have had any more chocolate. It was expensive, but this is a gourmet dining experience, not fill-you-up grub. Compared to London prices, it didn't shock us, but compared to Denver prices, yes it would. $120 after a 20% tip. Plus, the food was definitely better than anything I've experienced in London. For those concerned the portions may be too small because of what other reviewers said, we didn't find this to be the case at all. Blossom is three course dining, not a Cheesecake Factory take your leftovers home place. I've definitely seen smaller portions at the same price before. We left with full stomachs and big smiles on our faces. :-)

Pros: All vegan and organic!, excellent service, great food
Cons: in New York

Cozy and Delicious

4 Posted on 06 / 05 / 2007

Clean, warm, cozy space with mid-size tables, big enough for a romantic date for two or a small group of friends. Service professional and polite without being intrusive. The Moscato Di Asti was delicious - sweet and light. The food was very good and flavorful, portions were perfect to feel full without leaving heavy....though I prefer food that's a bit spicier with a little more bite...but still very good. Bottled water was a nice touch. Fine dining for vegans.

Pros: Really nice atmosphere, Vegan fine dining, Good food & Service
Cons: Food could be spicier, Expensive
condekedar
condekedar

Best in New York

5 Posted on 05 / 29 / 2007

Blossom is my favorite vegan restaurant in New York. The food was amazing (try their BLT sandwich or their chocolate ganache), the service was friendly and prompt, and the location and ambiance were both superb. The prices are high, but the quality of the food made up for it. Definitely recommended.

Pros: Quality, Taste, Service

delicious, but pricey

3 Posted on 05 / 21 / 2007

i recently went there and thought the food was amazing! i had the mojo tempeh, and 2 appetizers were share, the black bean cake and lumpia i think. i also got the chocolate ganache. everything was delicious, but the portions are on the small side (gourmet feel...all about the presentation). for appetizers you got 2 pieces of the lupia for $8. the chocolate ganache was the size of a tiny brownie and had this miniature scoop of ice cream for $8. also my mojo tempeh was 4 tempeh strips, a side of sauteed kale, and 2 small crouquettes for $18. i know it's nyc but you can definitely find cheaper vegan organic in the city. nice atmosphere. i was annoyed that they asked to leave when the next reservation came. i mean we spent a lot of money...2 appetizers, wine, 3 entrees, and 3 desserts and we had to leave. even though they were nice about it, there was an empty table for 4 right next to us!! i would go back maybe for a very special occasion..otherwise save your money.

Pros: great food, nice atmosphere
Cons: small portions, very expensive, need to make reservations
cassius
cassius

very disappointing

1 Posted on 11 / 05 / 2006

Maybe we were there on an off night, but my boyfriend and I had dinner here and it was really quite bad. Most everything was too salty and otherwise the flavors were bland, uninteresting. We had heard good things but were very disappointed and will not be back.

Pros: nice interior
Cons: salty, bland

Dear Owner and Manager of Blossom Restaurant:

Thank you for being a Premium FRIEND supporter.

There's another way to promote your business on HappyCow:

Advertise your large, custom banner on the New York City page, or any other regional page.

Please email us if you have questions, or to get started today!

Last updated: 2014/02/25