Blossom Du Jour - Chelsea

Billed as "shrewd fast food," this is a fast food version of Blossom Restaurant and is the flagship location. Offers wraps, burgers, salads, comfort food, raw pizza, raw burrito, soups, fresh juices, smoothies, and sweets. Operating since Oct 2010; previously 174 Ninth Ave, Midtown/Chelsea, next door to Cocoa V. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, American, Kosher, Fast food, Juice bar, Take-out, Delivery, Catering
259 W 23rd St (Chelsea, Manhattan)
New York City, New York 10011

vegan_ryan
vegan_ryan

very good

Posted on 10 / 12 / 2014

Ate here on a recent trip and was very satisfied. The portions were filling, food was delicious, and prices were OK.

I recommend against the all-day breakfast scramble. It comes in a wrap, which isn't mentioned on the menu. My girlfriend was disappointed about that.

Our milkshakes and my buffalo wrap were amazing, though.

Pros: all vegan
Oscar M
Oscar M

Another favourite

Posted on 09 / 29 / 2014

Organic vegan fast food in a vibrant small place with some seats by the window perfect for people watching. Amazing sandwiches, specially the seitan philly cheese steak! I would go back every time.

Pros: Great sandwiches, Inexpensive
sriblet
sriblet

Okay food okay experience

Posted on 09 / 17 / 2014

Having been to Veggie Grill, Hip City Vedge, Native Foods and other vegan fast food restaurants, Blossom Du Jour was a big let down. The food was fine, not anything worth mentioning but not bad either. Your standard vegan wraps and burgers and sandwiches but not unique or interesting at all. The service was fine and the food came fairly fast which was good. However the restaurant has a B health rating which made me think twice before going in. While I might go back if I am in the area, I definitely won't be searching out for it again.

Pros: Food not bad
Cons: Small location, B Health rating

munchinmari
munchinmari
  • herbivore

yum!!

Posted on 07 / 24 / 2014

Stopped here to grab a quick dinner. The staff was really kind and helped me pick out a delicious wrap. I ended up ordering the bean burger and I also got a chocolate cupcake. The wrap was good, it lacked a little flavor or spice or something but it was still yummy! And the cupcake was fantastic! I can't remember the last time I had a cupcake (it's hard to find vegan ones where I live) and damn it was good to have one again! Definitely recommend this place for a quick bite :)

Babette
Babette

Vegan croissants!

Posted on 04 / 21 / 2014

I only tried the breakfast bakery items at Blossom du jour, and they are well worth it.

The croissant tastes like a croissant (yummy), I just wish we could also get jam and vegan butter with it.

The kouign amman was a new thing to me, but it was delicious as well, kind of like a croissant with a different shape and sugar on it.

Pros: clean, friendly staff
Cons: no toilets, no butter or jam for croissants
Tnhobbit
Tnhobbit

Devine

Posted on 12 / 29 / 2013

My daughter located this one and made me go with her. It was simply Devine. I highly recommend it and we will be back each time we are in Mahattan!!

JonJon
JonJon

Best vegan fast food ever

Posted on 12 / 23 / 2013

Tried it at the beginning of their operation and it was already perfect. I had a really good vegan burger which was big, tasty and nevertheless healthy. Staff was really friendly and the place had a pleasant atmosphere, even if the restaurant was small. I was really happy to find it open because the nearest Blossom restaurant was unfortunatly full and I had not reserved.

Happy to see that two other Blossom du Jour have opened! Good news!

Pros: excellent food, fast and affordable, friendly staff
cookiem
cookiem

Vegan croissants, cronuts, and desserts to go!

Posted on 11 / 03 / 2013

Ok, so who doesn't want to know what a cronut is like in the vegan version? With no comparison, I was excited to try one here at BDJ. Unfortunately, they had no more! They did have pain au chocolat, though, so I was happy to try that. For those who don't know - it's like a croissant in rectangular form with chocolate in the center. Now, yes, I did eat the entire thing in less than 10 minutes, but, it wasn't what I'd hoped to be eating. It had some good flakiness, but it was heavy and a bit too bread-like. I give BDJ kudos for the effort and having them, as I don't know of another restaurant that offers them in vegan form. This is probably because it's just so hard to make them vegan and have good form or flavor. Usually, it ends up with one at the sacrifice of the other.

Anyhow, more on sweets…. they also had some refrigerated options like a tart and pumpkin pie, but they looked a bit sad, as though there for a long time.

The chocolate cake is rich and dense, but the frosting is lacking. Still, for this style of take-out ready-to-go, I was happy with it. The chocolate gluten-free cookie cream sandwich, however, was not as satisfying. Sure, gluten-free is challenging to keep vegan and together without crumbling, but maybe they could experiment with their recipe? The cookie was all in crumbles! The flavor was chocolatey enough and I appreciated the gluten-free aspect, but it was hard to eat it with so many small pieces after first breaking into it.

The prices are alright, and if I were in this area, I might return just to get another pain au chocolat (beggars can't be choosers) and hope to find a cronut!

Pros: Pain au chocolat, Gluten-free options, Ready to go
Cons: Short supply of some dessert, Price a tiny bit high for the quality
HiPB
HiPB

Great sandwich on the go!

Posted on 09 / 28 / 2013

I had the BLT Caesar with "un-chicken", soy bacon, lettuce, tomato, and caesar dressing, and I loved it. It was filling and had great texture and taste. It was a bit pricey at almost $9, but the convenience of having a variety of vegan sandwiches made quickly and on demand merits the price points at Blossom Du Jour. Will return, probably regularly.

Pros: Ease, Quick service, taste
Gony
Gony

great. !!!!

Posted on 09 / 20 / 2013

Try any thing on the menu.
Delightful.

Pros: tasty, light
Cons: non
Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

good fast food

Posted on 07 / 21 / 2013

As this location was close to our hotel, we ate here a couple of times. The first time we had a peppermint shake, smoky avocado tempeh wrap and the pesto un-chicken griller. The second time we came in because Blossom Bakery is closed for the summer and a sign directed us back to this location. Having not seen any bakery stuff the first time we were in, we asked about it and they said they were awaiting delivery. We decided to wait and it arrived just before 11am. It would make sense to arrive earlier since this location opens pretty early. Anyways, we had another shake, the cookie dough one, as well as a maple cinnamon cronut (croissant/doughnut hybrid), a pain au chocolate and the ham & cheese quiche. They were all very good. I'm glad we waited. Also, this location was well air conditioned, unlike the midtown location.

Pros: good solid fast food, bakery items, nice service
Cons: no restroom
vegetariangirl
vegetariangirl

so tasty

Posted on 11 / 20 / 2012

A great place for fast and flavourful food! It's quite small but each time we have gone we got a seat.

VeganInfoSteve
VeganInfoSteve

Delivery? Not really.

Posted on 05 / 07 / 2012

In the couple of years this place has been open, I always ask them if they're delivering to the West Village yet. The answer is always the same. A flat "No." They'll deliver into the 30's on the West Side, but won't go more than six blocks south. I always ask why, and I get different answers each time. Once I was told that the delivery staff might get confused with the criss crossing streets in the West Village Huh??

The parent restaurant across the street (Blossom) has an even smaller delivery circle; about 5 blocks in any direction of the restaurant.

I get it if places don't want to deliver (not really. It brings in a lot of money.)

The new Blossom restaurant (yes, same owners) on Carmine Street in the West Village also doesn't deliver to the north end of the Village. Good thing there are some really great veggie choices in the neighborhood who DO deliver.

Pros: appears to be clean
Cons: Won't deliver to the West Village
Guest
Guest

Delicious!

Posted on 04 / 06 / 2012

I went there and got the filet-no-fish! It did not resemble it much, but it was heaven! It's so good! I would drive 700 miles there all the time If I could. Also, their juice blends especially the pretty in pink are worth having!

Pros: Nice staff, Great food, Woodstock farm sanctuary videos playing
Cons: Not enough seating
sglcklch
sglcklch

Good for grab and go

Posted on 03 / 13 / 2012

Came here for lunch on a Monday and the place was packed. Apparently a lot of people were just waiting for their food because the kitchen had problems keeping up with the orders. It got to a point where the staffer at the cashier apologized and told everyone that was still waiting to grab a soda for free because of the long wait. Mine actually came out pretty fast so that might just be a sudden backlog.

Menu was full of highly processed vegan meat substitutes. Would love to see more wholesome ingredients. Ended up getting the Midtown Melt and the soup of the day (tomato-lentil) to share with my BF. The sandwich was much bigger than I expected, perfect for splitting. It came in a focaccia kind of bread and the whole thing was quite tasty. Although the place was small and there wasn't much seating, we were still able to grab two stools as people came and left pretty fast. A lot of them actually ordered take-out. By the time we were done there were only two diners left. My only pet peeve was the trough planters on one side of the counters. I just can't stand eating with all that soil and dirt in my face. This is definitely a place for a quick bite.

Pros: good bread
Cons: limited seating, could get slow, too processed
elles_belles
elles_belles

Thrive!

Posted on 01 / 30 / 2012

I stopped by here for a quick lunch. I'm in love with green smoothies so I ordered the 'Thrive'. I was a bit skeptical going in since it was more gray then green. But it was delicious. I highly recommend it! I would recommend asking for extra kale if you like your green smoothies to be a deep green color like I do.

They only have three chairs here. It is really mostly a take-out place, fast food place.

TigerLily+DrTofu
TigerLily+DrTofu

Great food to take away

Posted on 01 / 15 / 2012

When we went there we were a bit surprised by the size of the restaurant and that they don't really seem to be prepared for people who want to stay for eating. Luckly we wanted to take the food to our hotel room anyways. After we ordered it didn't take long and we were leaving the place with our food package and a tempting smell of garlic from the package.

What shall we say? The food was fantastic, we had pasta with meatballs (that's where the garlic was hidden!) and one of the nice wraps - just yummy!
When we went there the next day (the day before Independence Day) we unfortunately had to pick food from the fridge, because they obviously didn't expect customers to want fresh food the day before July 4th. :) But even the fridge wraps were excellent.

Pros: Great pasta + meatballs, welcoming athmosphere, moderate prices
Cons: only few seats
necropalice
necropalice

Excellent take-away lunches.

Posted on 10 / 06 / 2011

I was by myself in Chelsea as my friends were running late, so I decided the best way to kill time would be to eat some lunch. I'd already picked Blossom du Jour based on Happy Cow's reviews, and I must admit I was a little bit disappointed. It should be noted that Blossom du Jour is primarily a take-out place, with a few stools lined up against a counter by the windows. Not a pleasant atmosphere to dine in at all. I also failed to spot the menu, which was placed on the counter in front of the till, until after I'd selected a wrap from the fridges. On the other hand, the 'chicken' salad wrap was out of this world, and that's what matters. I regretted not going again to try something more substantial.

Pros: amazing food, wide variety, cheap
Cons: small premises, confusing service
jwarren7
jwarren7

Fast and Delicious

Posted on 02 / 17 / 2011

Blossom has some of the best vegan food I've ever had. Their Midtown Melt is amazing! I was in NYC for a week and I literally went back to Blossom Du Jour every day. And I love how they have footage from Farm Sanctuary playing all the time.

Pros: Delicious Food, 100% Vegan, Fast
Cons: Small seating area
Ethan
Ethan

Yummy New-ish Place in Chelsea!

Posted on 11 / 17 / 2010

So I was walking down 9th Avenue, wanting to hit Cocoa-V for some salted Caramels and I was disappointed to see they're closed until 3 PM. Imagine my delight to realize that, right next door, Blossom Du Jour was open and serving LUNCH! There are SO MANY options on the menu, it was kind of hard to choose. You can go healthy, comfort food-ish, and there are great dessert options too.

I ordered the Smokey Avocado Wrap and it was delightful! The smokey tempeh was balanced with the creamy avocado and just the perfect amount of kick in the Chipotle Aoli-- a WINNER!

My husband had the Eggplant Parm Sub Sandwich and he really liked it. His only note was that it would have been perfect if they had toasted the bread. Details, details...

We both had the Onion rings as a side and they were OUT OF THIS WORLD!!!

I treated myself to their gluten-free Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookie. It was heavenly. Exactly what I needed to round out a comforting and delicious lunch.

Having a great vegan option in a sleek modern environment in the heart of Chelsea (just 2 blocks from my office) makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. I suspect I might be bringing lunch to work less often... especially because they deliver!

Pros: Delicious, Quick, Variety

Dear Owner and Manager of Blossom Du Jour - Chelsea: