Bloomingfoods Market and...

Natural foods co-op market with several locations in the area. Offers a wide range of foods and grocery as well as prepared foods and soups for grab-and-go. more-less

First Review by crystalglen
alllifeissacred
alllifeissacred

West Side Story

5 Posted on 02 / 09 / 2010

I love Bloomingfoods. The west side store is the best. It is a bit on the smallish side but is the most aesthetically pleasing and the salad and hot food bar is fairly consistent.

One of the best deals you can get is the soup and bread for 2 dollars. You can't get a cheaper more wholesome meal in town without going to a food kitchen.

This store does not carry everything but most things any vegetarian or vegan might need. They have not only tofu but locally made tofu. They have several different varieties of tempeh and seitan.I've also been impressed with their produce section with quite a bit of local and plenty of fresh fruits.

If you want the largest selection you go to the East side store, especially for supplements. If you want to find the odd deal the central store upstairs has a discount section in which I've found a few good deals.

In any case at B-foods you are never just some random person. It's much easier to get a face to help you or someone willing to have a bit of a conversation. It's a nice choice from the florescent lights and check yourself out style of the bigger chain grocers.

In any way it is a hearty recommend even if it can be a little crowded. People just know where the good energy is. : )

Pros: Good Location, Friendly Staff, Good Energy
Cons: Some things a bit pricy, Doesn't Carry Everything, Can be Crowded
RunVeg
RunVeg

Cramped, expensive, but still worth it

4 Posted on 01 / 06 / 2010

I love Bloomingfoods. I hate how small and cramped it is, but it's worth it. They have excellent produce with abundant choices, however it's a bit expensive. But also worth it. They have quite a few local things, which in Indiana isn't that easy.

There is a decent bulk section, which is smaller than Sahara Mart, but there seems to be a quicker turnover, thus fresher options. More bulk: they have herbs and spices you can buy in bulk, maple syrup, honey I think, vanilla, and then you can also buy shampoo, conditioner, soap, and lotions in bulk. Pretty cool.

They have some good sales if you can catch them, however, if you're not a member: make sure to read the price sign and figure out your price.

They have quite a few tofu choices, including tofu made in Bloomington (Phoenix Farm, which I must say is awesome). Also lots of tempeh at a good price.

See if you can catch their tent sale in October--GREAT PRICES, especially if you're willing to buy cases of things. I bought a case of vanilla almost milk, and it was more than a dollar cheaper than buying in the store. Also, 32 oz. of organic olive oil for $10. Awesome.

Their prepared foods section looks pretty good, but I haven't actually tried it yet. I keep meaning to. I know my mom bought some fresh cookies there, and she really liked them.

Pros: great produce selection, fresh bulk, lots of tofu
Cons: bit expensive, cramped, I don't get members' prices :(
melissakayshelley
melissakayshelley

Like Heaven, only smaller, and more cramped

5 Posted on 02 / 20 / 2008

All in all, Bloomingfoods is basically the love of my life. This particular location is a little bit small, and you do bump elbows with your neighbors, but who cares - because their friendly neighbors!

Even though their primary function is a grocery store, Bloomingfoods is actually my favorite restaurant to eat at. I have never had a disappointing meal there - EVER - and I eat there quite a bit.

Pros: Delicious Mouthwatering Food, Very Friendly Staff, Huge Selection
Cons: High Prices, Cramped Space, A Little Dirty

crystalglen
crystalglen

Wish they hadn't closed Encore Cafe

4 Posted on 04 / 20 / 2007

We support the co-op ideal and it's a great place to find organics and stuff for vegetarians. That said, we're mad at Bloomingfoods for closing our favorite restaurant, the Encore Cafe! It was such a great place for affordable food, vegetarian options, plenty of seating... we used to have MANY family get-togethers there. I heard it was financial reasons and that's sad and makes it hard to refute the decision. For what it's worth, I would have paid up to 20% more to keep it going, but maybe that would have cut down the amount of traffic so I don't know. The place always seemed busy (without being crowded) to me. It just peeved us enough that we're now shopping at Sahara Mart.

Pros: Co-op!, Organic!, Local!
Cons: pay for membership and, still expensive, cramped

Dear Owner and Manager of Bloomingfoods Market and Deli - East: