Bliss Organic Garden Cafe

Organic vegan cafe with a rear garden. Has gluten-free and raw food. YHA discounts. The 1-STOP Vegan Shop also operates at this location. Hosts cooking classes, movie screening, and/or talks on Sundays. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Western, Australian, Organic, Raw
7 Compton Street
Adelaide, South Australia SA 5000
08-8231-0205

Open Mon-Thur 7am-4pm, Fri 7am-4pm, 6-9pm, Sat 8am-4pm.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by happy without cow
_Alana
_Alana

Enjoyable

4 Posted on 05 / 25 / 2014

We have always enjoyed our meals when we come here. Lots of variety on the menu (although always seem to go for the bliss burger)and the juices are great too.

Tiggy
Tiggy

Not meeting expectations...

3 Posted on 05 / 06 / 2014

I was excited about coming back to this vegan cafe after a visit a couple of years ago. The cafe has a simple, slightly funky feel to it. This time - as last time - we were here for breakfast, and the cafe opens around 8am, which is nice (except Sunday when it's closed - much to our disappointment). I was glad to see they served fair trade coffee and ordered a soy flat white. To be honest I didn't find this great: I didnt like the aftertaste (or 'finish' as I think they call it) and it was a bit watery. Checking out the breakfast menu, I couldn't go all the way and choose the Big Breakfast, so I decided on the scrambled tofu. My partner didn't feel like anything heavy and ordered the vegan BLT - but this turned out to be bigger than my order. I sampled the sandwich and it was quite good with reasonable fake bacon. When my tofu arrived, I have to say it was disappointing: it seemed to have chopped raw vegetables through it and almost no flavour. The most exciting element was the pepitas, which at least gave it some variation in texture, a little crunchiness. I resigned myself to a bland breakfast that morning. Checking out the cabinet, I noticed a wide selection of vegan sweets, but (for me at least)this was not for 9 o'clock in the morning. I'll come back for lunch when I'm in Adelaide again and hope it's a better experience.

Pros: Fair trade coffee, Pleasant ambience, Fully vegan with plenty of vegan sweets
Cons: Bland scrambled tofu, Watery coffee
cinchoua
cinchoua

My favourite spot in Adelaide!

5 Posted on 01 / 26 / 2014

I just returned to live in Adelaide after 7 years away and this was first on my list of places to grab a coffee and bite to eat.

The food never disappoints and is always fresh and delicious!
Wonderful selection of grocery items as well as notices about community events and organisations.

Definitely recommend visiting this spot!

Aloo
Aloo

Great vegan breakfast

3 Posted on 08 / 30 / 2013

Had the scrambled tofu here one fine morning. It was lovely, a large serving and quite tasty.

I agree with one of the other reviews on here though, the service is not all that warm and welcoming. The tables and ambience inside is ok, and there is also outdoor seating.

There is a range of vegan friendly sweets to be had I noticed. I sampled a slice with coffee on a separate visit. The coffee is a bit average and I was thankful to have a sweet vegan option, which happened to also be sugar free and (I think) gluten free. Not such an unhealthy choice!

This cafe backs onto the shop, or is infront of the shop, depending on which way you approach. The shop has a wide range of all things organic.

Pros: Vegan options, Decent breakfast menu
Cons: Expensive
KrystHellSeidel
KrystHellSeidel

Good

4 Posted on 06 / 17 / 2013

We went there while holidaying in Adelaide and it was a very nice surprise to find Bliss Organic hiding away from the bustling streets of Chinatown.
The food was good. We went for breakfast there and my husband had a BLT (which would have satisfied any meat eater I'm sure) and I had the scrambled tofu. They also have a lot of gluten free options!

The prices might be a bit on the expensive side but there was A LOT of food on our plates.

The coffee was good too and they have a lot of cakes/donuts etc... you can take away!

Overall, good surprise and definitely a must go when visiting Adelaide.

Pros: Vegan donuts! , piano :), Garden outside you can sit in
Cons: Prices (maybe), Not open on Sundays

spiritlifecoaching
spiritlifecoaching

• raw

So many treats!

5 Posted on 05 / 01 / 2013

We all really enjoyed the food and the music. Being from inter-state we didn't do any shopping but we were impressed with the excellent range of products. We too were excited to taste a donut after so many years of abstinence.

Pros: Music, All vegan, Nice vibe
Charis0421
Charis0421

Nice but very hippy-ish

3 Posted on 02 / 23 / 2013

I had the BEST vegan donut here - it was soooo good i crave one every day!! The brownies are yummy too, but you can share these as they are very rich...
Food is good too- have tried the tasting plate and that was 'ok'- has some wierd taste combo's that for me didnt quite work- sometimes simple is best.... The gluten free wrap with lentil pattie is yummy- but pricey.
My only real issue with this place is that i dont find it to be that friendly or welcoming...the staff can be a little intimidating, and dont seem to like questions....might have just been the people there on the day we were there...but...has happened a couple of times now....

Pros: Quality organic vegan food, Good selection, THE DONUTS!!! OM NOM NOM!!
Cons: Rude, intimidating staff, Price, Always busy so not very relaxing
vegancheese
vegancheese

Not Blissful for me

2 Posted on 11 / 21 / 2012

I have been going here for 4 years but I have decided I will do this no longer. The food is either oversalted, or bland, and overpriced for what it is. For example, the scrambled tofu has really gone downhill. The last time I ordered it, it was a mash of silken tofu with way too much turmeric in it merely for colour, but no taste.
I agree with others when they say the music is too loud. I go there to catch up with friends or enjoy a quiet but lively meal, not to have something blaring in my ear that I have to shout over the top of.
The service is also disorganised. The amount of times I have received my dessert and coffee first, followed by my main and then a smoothie, I've lost count. Some of the counter staff do not have a very warm or friendly manner either. All of these things add up and I'm just not impressed with this place any longer. Sorry guys, you've lost my business.

Pros: nice outdoor area, Donuts
Cons: Bland food, Overpriced for what it is, disorganised service
PreciousLisa
PreciousLisa

Love this place!!

5 Posted on 05 / 08 / 2012

Wow, have been going here for almost a year now and still love it! It's one of our most fave vegan places. We especially love the nights when entertainment is on but have never had a bad experience with this before like the last review - that truly must have been a rare disappointing time you had :( we always LOVE the entertainers they out on . The food is great! Breakfast menu is still my fave :) except their burgers and wedges are super awesum too ...& staff r lovely!

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff
TEQWIN
TEQWIN

Lack Of Taste

2 Posted on 04 / 11 / 2012

Lack Of Taste

The food was bland with no Taste or flavour it was also
very expensive, considering everything was
just cabbage, some salt N pepper on
the table may of helped dramatically ,
when we placed our order we had to yell it out to be heard and repeat
our selves numerous times due to the volume of the entertainment.
My partners had a different
dish from me , but that was equally as bland
as the item I had chosen. There was a singing
guitarist that was so loud that every one was shouting
to be heard. We where desperately hoping that the
entertainment would go on a break.
Neither us finished our meals as it was a waist of energy
and effort putting such tasteless bland food in to our mouths.
In the Restaurants Favour The Food did arrive quickly
( which fortunately for us meant we could exit there faster ) but The Best Part of
the dining experience was when we left.

Pros: Meals arived Quickly
Cons: Bland Food, To loud ( entertainment ), not value for money
yogamantra
yogamantra

I'll be back

5 Posted on 02 / 17 / 2012

Being new to vegetarianism I have only been here once but I was so impressed that I'll be back! Lovely ambiance,friendly staff and delicious food. I like the fact that they mix it up, sell items instore, promote local artists and have live bands and cooking classes. See you soon :)

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Large servings
hev
hev

Bliss organics simply blissful!

5 Posted on 10 / 29 / 2011

On a road trip from Melbourne we found this vegan restaurant gem in Adelaide, tucked away down a backstreet. Funky ambience, with great artwork, loads of books, cds and vegan products for sale.
The menu is very creative and and it's hard to choose from a list of delicious sounding dishes.
The food did not dissapoint....it was totally yummy, so good we were back the next day waiting for Bliss to open!
The owner was very friendly and helpful when I requested some changes to my order for health reasons, and took the time to have a conversation with me even though the cafe was busy, which I really felt touched by.
Would definately reccomend Bliss and will be back when next in Adelaide:)
Thanks Bliss, keep doing what you're doing!

Pros: creative dishes, delicious food, friendly staff
Cons: longer opening hours!
fearless
fearless

Our favourite 'local'

5 Posted on 10 / 29 / 2011

Bliss meals are tasty, healthy and interesting. We have been there many times and their meals are consistent in their quality providing you with assurance that you are going to get what you want. For newbies we highly recommend the BLT - fantastic!
They cater for all - raw, no caffeine, gluten free, etc.

Pros: mouthwatering, organic, caters for all needs
RosePetal
RosePetal

Bliss is great

5 Posted on 05 / 03 / 2011

Great vegan (mostly organic) food. Most of the menu is or can be gluten free and there are raw options too. Raw cakes are a recent addition.
Coffee is good and you have the choice of soy, oat, or rice milk.
Great one-stop-vegan retail shop on site too.
Donner menu changes seasonally, and opening hours have recently been extended.

Updated from previous review on Sunday June 06, 2010

Pros: great food, desserts!
veg.dan
veg.dan

Good Cafe in the city

4 Posted on 01 / 24 / 2011

Since they popped up just off gouger street, their offerings have been getting better and better. Aside from my tofu scramble missing tofu once, every other time I've been the food has been great. Cool place to chill out. Can get busy at lunch times or just needs a few more smaller indoor tables. Nice garden out back and plenty tempting lunch time options / desserts.

Pros: Good food, Reasonably priced
MaitreyaBelmore
MaitreyaBelmore

Wonderful Place!

4 Posted on 05 / 08 / 2010

My first visit to Adelaide and I was pleasantly greeted by Cassha, the lady owner of Bliss Organic Cafe. She patiently answered my questions about other vegetaraian and vegan places in Adelaide and gave me valuable inputs. Thanks to her, I have maximised my visit to Adelaide.

Her husband, Shane was fantastic too. He brought personalised friendly service to everyone, making me feel very welcomed. He was humorous too. When I asked which is no. 1 vegetarian restaurant in Adelaide according to him, he answered, "Bliss Organic Cafe"..... hahhaha well I have asked the wrong question indeed!

I tried their BIG BREAKFAST FRY-UP and was delicious!!!!! It was a really huge portions, with 2 thick slices of turkish toast, beans, sausage, bacon, and potato wedges. The great thing in here as well, they also look after vegetarian/vegan who does not eat onion and garlick. Most other western vegan restaurant only caters for onion and garlick eater. So I am so greatful I have found this place.

They also serve fresh organic juice and it was really fresh! There is also outdoor seating at the back, wonderful for those sunny day and private functions.

All in all, a wonderful place to visit!

Pros: Lovely staff and owner, Great food & price, Also sells other stuff
Cons: Slightly hidden location, Don't do dinner
bethmc
bethmc

small, friendly venue

4 Posted on 01 / 11 / 2010

I know the new owners of this place and they are wonderful. They are very friendly and great cooks! The place is in a good location, close to the markets, and I really love the rice balls with the delicious mayonnaise/sauce that goes with them. All the food is very healthy, unlike a lot of other vege places in Adelaide.

The vibe of the place is always friendly and the outside area is also nice. You can also buy vegan supplies from here, which is always great!

Pros: healthy and yummy food, friendly staff, great vibe
leerja
leerja

Fantastic food

5 Posted on 08 / 20 / 2009

A great place in a little hidden street in the Adelaide Central Market area. Lots of seating options both inside and outside.

We both had Tofu Scramble and it was beautiful. A good vegan alternative to scrambled eggs with tomato, potato and greens mixed through. Desserts look great and the chocolate balls are to die for.

Well worth a visit.

Pros: Great food, Lots of seating, Desserts fantastic
Cons: Should be on the main street :)
Guest
Guest

A blissful sanctuary

4 Posted on 06 / 26 / 2009

This was a great place before, with its casual but smart decor, outside dining and welcoming vibes and appearance, but the new owners have improved its appeal by adding some yummy healthy 'snacks' for those in a rush or after something light eg soy smoothies. Best of all for me, they have great vegan desserts! A great place near the market for a full on meal or snack, for vegetarians and non-vegetarians.

Pros: variety, reasonable prices, friendly staff
happy without cow
happy without cow

An awesome feel good place to visit

5 Posted on 05 / 10 / 2009

Bliss Cafe is a must when in Adelaide. The cafe has been known to convince travellers to stay longer than intended. New owners as of April 09 have only made this cafe better than before. The passionate new trio have made this heavenly bliss a warm and cosy retreat - offering a rare, rear garden courtyard and serving only the finest fresh organic cuisine. Chai is to die for. Reasonable prices, giant salads, tasty burgers too. There are raw treats both on the menu and as treats. See for yourself!

Pros: chai to die for, friendly staff, cosy atmosphere
Cons: easy to miss

Dear Owner and Manager of Bliss Organic Garden Cafe: