Little cafe offering an all vegan menu. Sources local and organic ingredients whenever possible. Food and sauces made in its kitchen. Has sweet potato fries, raw desserts, fresh juices, and various main meals. Order at the counter, and food is brought to your table. Sometimes Kirtan events and live music. Current ownership since summer 2011; previously at 1035 Chorro St. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Organic, International, American, Raw, Juice bar, Catering, Take-out

First Review by ddubois
promwall
promwall

Bliss Indeed

5 Posted on 04 / 05 / 2014

I have had the same thing every time I go in....several times. The Buddha Bowl is delicious! Curried vegetables over brown rice with optional chutney. Ample, delicious, filling and disappears in a few short minutes. Once I take that first bite I can't seem to put the fork down. Pretty informal, order at the counter, find a seat and your food is brought to you. Nice "zen" atmosphere with lots of announcements and literature about local activities and health events posted and spread around. And it is right in the middle of downtown SLO...great locations.

Pros: Great food, Really nice staff, Convenient location in town
Cons: a little pricey
daxamillion
daxamillion

If Gas Stations Served Food for Vegans...

2 Posted on 03 / 06 / 2014

After trying multiple Vegan eateries in over 15 different states, this cafe has got to be the most disappointing. The chili dog was microwaved to the point of being inedible, and the "chili" was just tasteless black beans. The girl behind the counter was very rude, but maybe she was just having a rough day. I sincerely hope that the vegan population of San Luis Obispo has other options of restaurants to choose from besides this one.

Pros: nothing
Pookanu
Pookanu

Excellent! Freaking delicious!

5 Posted on 10 / 29 / 2013

Our family of four all loved this place. We loved the atmosphere, the cleanliness, the staff and the FOOD! The chocolate mousse pie is life changing. Best thing I have eaten since becoming a vegan. The chili dogs were so good and came with a huge salad. My son and husband had burritos and other son had a fresh made juice. We all were satisfied and had zero complaints. That doesn't happen often with me as I have managed restaurants and it is in my blood to find the flaws. Bravo. Will be back every time we are in town.

Pros: Staff, Chocolate Mousse Pie , Chili dogs!
Cons: none
Tunasam
Tunasam

Awful in so many ways

2 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2013

After trying vegan restaurants all over the country, THIS place has got to be the worst. If you like microwaved chili dogs and frozen vegetables, then this place is perfect for you. When asking the girl at the counter how much a bag of wheat grass powder was, she looked at me and said "oh, that's really expensive", to which I replied "do I look like I can't afford it?" Should've left then and there, but we were traveling and very hungry. What a disappointment.

Pros: None
Cons: Everything
daveoz
daveoz

Bliss is bliss!

5 Posted on 06 / 29 / 2013

Happy Cow did not let us down with this jewel of a Cafe. Although you have to walk from the main street into a building with other shops, Bliss sits in the back of the building and opens up onto a courtyard. When we were there there was live music and a lively crowd just outside. There is seating out in the courtyard but we elected to stay inside because it was a little chilly.

The food was wonderful. We tried a couple of different dishes. The salad was really impressive with all kinds of local and organic ingredients. The juice was good as well.

We recommend this cafe to anyone interested in living healthy!

Troktagon
Troktagon

Tasty take-out food

4 Posted on 06 / 23 / 2013

Was in town for a conference and stopped by about 10 minutes before they cosed. I got a Tempeh Reuben and a side of Lentil Kale Soup for $9. Both were very tasty, but not exceptional. Solid vegan option in San Luis Obispo.

Pros: Tasty, Inexpensive
Ryan MTB
Ryan MTB

Good Food, Nice Atmosphere

4 Posted on 05 / 21 / 2013

Good food, tasty & healthy. Nice little place with a comfortable little indoor seating area, and an outdoor seating area as well next to a creek, with lots of outdoor plants. Attentive, friendly service. It is a little pricey.

Pros: Delicious, Healthy, Friendly
Cons: Pricey
StephenS
StephenS

Almost Exceptional.....

4 Posted on 10 / 20 / 2012

Very tasty, but nothing to write home about. I had the all day Breakfast Burrito. Yummers, but I could have done it at home, better. But, I am always stoked to be able to go to a Vegan establishment. They have a very simple menu(in terms of choices, not in terms of food prep), and a very simple location. 4 tables, a window seat area, and 10 or so items on the menu. My only real negative critique would be the cost. I spent $11.31 (USD) on a breakfast burrito with a small side salad. Not a lot in the scheme of normal eating out experiences, but way inflated when you think about how you're eating rice, tofu, veggies and a tortilla. It is all vegan though, and the food was good. I'll support them... Also, nice selection of gluten free and raw items...plus, they are well known for their super packed vegan and live smoothies....

Pros: Vegan, Nice atmosphere, Tasty unique standards
Cons: Pricey for what you get, small
ErikMn
ErikMn

no illusion hare

3 Posted on 10 / 07 / 2012

I loved the special sauce. Not sure what it is: tamarind, cardamon, and more? I did feel cheated though. The portion of tempeh I got with my sandwich was weak considering what I paid. I am also guessing I got wheat bread, not squaw, and it was quite thin. Suppose I was hoping for homemade, and dark squaw at that. The apple/banana/kale smoothie with hemp protein was OK, but very runny, not smooth/thick, and not cold at all. Maybe that's just how they make their smoothies? But I'd call it juice, warm juice. On a warm day I'd like something cool, or cold. It was also disappointing to see a server wearing the latest trendy rooster feathers in her ears, but perhaps she doesn't know the score, or care. They do serve eggs and cheese, but rooster feathers are still in poor taste in a vegetarian restaurant (or anywhere for that matter). Nevertheless, I'd call the service just OK, and the taste/vale about the same. The bathroom could have a used a good cleaning, and a LOCK! as well.

Pros: good special house sauce, cozy
Cons: dirty bathroom, runny warm smoothie, thin bread
fiddletunes
fiddletunes

My favorite restaurant in SLO

5 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2012

Bliss Cafe is hands down my favorite restaurant in SLO. The Peace Plate is fabulous and the portions are plentiful enough for two people to share. The Spanakopita is great as are the quiches and desserts. You can't go wrong ordering anything on the menu.

Pros: generous portions, friendly staff, good prices
Fabien
Fabien

fresh and fabulous

5 Posted on 05 / 21 / 2012

I had lunch at Bliss Cafe today, and it was a pretty wonderful surprise. A handsome, breezy, relaxing little place with soaring ceilings. The menu is super wholesome and appetizing --I started with a light smoothie that featured banana and kale, and ate something I rarely dare order: a "vegetable sandwich," this time with tempeh. The shredded veggies (lettuce, carrots, beets) were abundant and fresh, the bread was local, brown and deliciously smeared by hummus and vegenaise, and the tempeh hearty. On request they piled in some sauerkraut, which pretty much made it a reuben. Served with a pile of wildly delicious home-made lavash chips, that they'd seasoned w/ nutritional yeast and more. Highly recommended! Esp. as an antidote to greasy road-trip food. I think I'll go back tomorrow.

Pros: healthy, fresh, delicious
Cons: unlikely to fit large parties
Chia
Chia

Hearty, Nourishing, Friendly

5 Posted on 01 / 01 / 2012

I had read about this place on Happycow and decided to stop in on my way from San Francisco to Los Angeles 2 weeks ago. Here's my Bliss Cafe review.

It's a very little but cozy cafe with a few high tables for seating. There is a glass counter by the register where you can see what the day's raw desserts are in addition to baked savories like quiche and spanikopita. Everything is vegan.

On one side of the wall is a large menu. The rest of the walls hang colorful paintings and images of Hindu (Indian) god and goddess images.

My husband and I shared the peace plate, sweet potato fries, a quiche, a green kale and banana smoothie, and a raw chocolate avocado pie for dessert.

The peace plate was huge and everything on it was delicious: organic brown rice, a salad with sprouts and sunflower seeds, chickpea flour breaded eggplant in a marinara sauce, spicy pineapple salsa, and a yellow vegetable-potato curry.

My husband liked the quiche a lot. I liked the house-made hummus it came with. The sweet potatoes were well-seasoned with herbs. Great green smoothie. Yummy chocolate pie (though a bit sweet for me personally).

Overall, we both thought this was one of the better meals we've had on our SF-LA trip.

Pros: delicious fresh food, good vibes, affordable
Cons: needs better ventilation
irlandaise
irlandaise

Truly vegan, peaceful ambiance!

5 Posted on 12 / 12 / 2011

This little restaurant was so cute and welcoming! The chef and staff were all so nice and we had an amazing and very FILLING meal! I had a vegan quiche that was delicious and iced Mate by the glass. It was a wonderful lunch and we will be back!

Pros: All vegan, Healthy, Delicious
Cons: Limited seating
ddubois
ddubois

Fantastic restaurant for the health conscious

5 Posted on 11 / 02 / 2011

At bliss you know that all their food is coming to you clean and fresh. With a small restaurant like this you can be sure that each meal is made with care and quality and not rushed or mass produced along some assembly line. But what I really like about Bliss is that the typical barrier between the customer and the cook is erased. The result is a unique dining experience where the person showing you the menu is the same person who goes to the kitchen to prepare your meal. This setup makes so much sense when you think about it! Not only does this put the patron at ease with the assurance that they are well taken care of, it also gives them the chance to meet and thank the person making their food. It's my opinion that when you never speak to or even see the person making your food, something is lost. Bliss Cafe frees you from the impersonal aspect of the typical restaurant and celebrates the bond that food preparation can create between people.

Pros: Healthy/fresh food, Warm and friendly staff, Affordable

Dear Owner and Manager of Bliss Cafe: