Philly's all vegan pizzeria. Offers a variety of vegan pizza whole or by the slice, plus sandwiches like Philly cheesesteak, mushroom wrap, salads, and vegan dessert. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, American, Pizza, Fast food, Take-out, Delivery

First Review by Jamie Roberts
meroe05
meroe05

WOW!!!

5 Posted on 07 / 13 / 2014

What a little gem of a restaurant! If you are vegan/vegetarian in Philly, you MUST try this place. And go hungry so you can try everything! The calzone is incredible (with a vegan ricotta OMG!)! The wings are terrific!!! AND... they have a vegan cheesesteak!!! It's delicious!!! What else?... Fantastic cheese fries and pizza. Just a perfect place to eat. Loved it!

Pros: DELICIOUS, FRIENDLY, CALZONE
Cons: NONE
heywood100
heywood100

Vegan pizza and metal, a good combination

4 Posted on 07 / 04 / 2014

So, I don't know about the American context, but in Toronto this place would undoubtedly be known as 'that hipster pizza place' - it is, after all, a vegan pizza parlour that played drone metal the entire time we were there. I don't say any of this as a bad thing.

The pizza itself was...well, it's vegan pizza, you probably know what Daiya cheese tastes like now, and you know whether you can be down with it or not. If you can, these guys use it well; if you can't, this won't be to your taste. We also tried out the wings with mustard sauce, and they were excellent.

Plant Powered Eater
Plant Powered Eater

Excellent pizza & salad

5 Posted on 06 / 29 / 2014

We try to eat only vegan, no-oil food. We had pizza & salad. Although we omitted the vegan cheese (due to its fat content), it was still a bit challenging to come up with no-oil toppings. However, the staff was really helpful & vigilant with helping us stay true to our dietary program, & the cheese-free veggie pizza & beet salad both were yummy!

TableForOne
TableForOne

Got to love it!

5 Posted on 06 / 01 / 2014

As soon as i walked in i heard Fugazi on the stereo. That made an awesome first impression. Although this place is primarily a pizzeria, I was in need of healthy stuff so i went for the soup of the day, followed by the kale and mushroom salad. The soup was good, but the salad was amazing. Those mushrooms!

It's kind of a punk rock place, but without the cliquey-ness. Got to love it!

And the playlist just got better and better: Johnny Cash, Led Zep, Misfits, Descendents, Smiths...

Pros: Kale salad, music, friendly staff
butikiteas
butikiteas

Love Me Some Blackbird!

5 Posted on 05 / 17 / 2014

The hubby and I visit Blackbird often. We are always craving it. Just be aware that some things are much better than others. We love the Fungi pizza. Yums! Seriously, try the Fungi pizza! Truffle oil, mmmm! The 'meat' pizza was also very good. The tofu wings are fantastic! Everyone seems to love them, veg*n or otherwise. The cheeze steaks are good. I would not say they are amazing but once and a while I'm in the mood for them. Though, we have certainly had better cheeze steaks from other places. We brought a large number of omnis with us one day. They seemed to not enjoy the pizzas that were heavy with the Daiya cheeze but loved everything else. The desserts are delicious but be aware that on multiple occasions, I have had stale desserts before. I'm guessing those had sat for quite a while. Not a huge fan of the staff. The service is slow, which I expect for a lot of vegan places but kind of overly slow. Also, we have had some very rude service before. We never know if the staff is going to be super nice or just rude. Very weird, doesn't seem to be any in between. Also, check your orders before you leave because occasionally, we have had some burned pizza. Overall, the food is amazing and mostly the staff is great but sometimes we have had rough experiences.
Updated from previous review on Saturday May 17, 2014

Pros: Great food, Perfect portion sizes
Cons: Staff can be rude, Have had burned pizza & stale desserts, slow service
mmeghani
mmeghani

Great pizza, cheesesteaks, wings & other vegan ite

5 Posted on 03 / 31 / 2014

Outstanding pizza, cheesesteaks, sandwiches, wings, cookies, desserts & designer sodas - all vegan and vegetarian! Our large group from the Hindu American Foundation has several pizzas - the ones with tomato sauce were really good as you could taste the tomatoes well. The wings were good - I liked the BBQ sauce. And the cheesesteak was also very good. This is a place to return to for good food without the fancy trimmings. The service was pleasant & fast. They were able to accommodate our very large group.

Pros: good variety of food, totally vegan, tasty
Poundie
Poundie

OK Pizza parlor

3 Posted on 03 / 31 / 2014

This a vegan pizza parlor. The food is very salty and not particularly healthy, and the prices are not particularly cheap. I have never had a real Philly cheese-steak, but I would imagine that it would taste a lot better than what Blackbird's vegan seitan cheese-steak, which I couldn't finish. I cannot say that I was impressed at all by this place, but I do appreciate the effort in establishing a vegan pizzeria, and I assume that vegetarians who really like pizza would love this place.

Pros: vegan
Cons: not particularly healthy
Blessings621
Blessings621

must try it!

5 Posted on 02 / 16 / 2014

Tried a little bit of everything, it was all amazing. Ask the staff what they recommend! Small pizzeria, simple dining but food is great.

withthecherrytrees
withthecherrytrees

Awesome

4 Posted on 02 / 08 / 2014

I love, love, love that this joint is totally vegan. Got the cheesesteak with onions/peppers & aoli - yummy. Wasn't too crazy about the Root Beer BBQ Wings tho. The best part was the cupcakes, soo good.

Pros: All vegan, Great food, Lovely photos lining the walls
Cons: Parking
iriairi
iriairi

Great spot to refuel on our visit!

5 Posted on 01 / 05 / 2014

Started off rocky on our trip to Glendale/Philadelphia, but Blackbird straightened that out. Split Seitan Cheese-steak and home-made fries as well as ordering a large Veggie Supreme with Pumpkin Pesto subbed for tomato sauce (allergies). Figured we would have a couple of slices then and save the leftovers for dinner before the show we were there to see. Cheese-Steak was large enough that we only needed one slice and topped it off with cupcakes for dessert. Yummy. Would go back regularly if I lived there and will definitely visit again the next time we are in the area!

Pros: Large portions, Friendly staff, Excellent food
Cons: Parking
Veganwithavengance
Veganwithavengance

Quite delicious

5 Posted on 12 / 09 / 2013

I had a slice of the Funghi and the Nacho and both were quite delicious. Though I must say the Nacho could have used salsa or maybe a chili sauce (similar to what you might use on enchiladas) to put it over the top. I also got to try the wings and got both Root Beer BBQ and Citrus Habanero sauce. Both were nice and spicy and had great flavor though the Citrus Habanero was marketed as a more classic "buffalo" sauce and lacked that flavor but it was all in all quite tasty. I also must say the pizza box with the Youth of Today X'd hands making pizza was quite awesome as was the Misfits version.

I should also note they use vegan soap which can be a rarity amongst restaurants claiming to be vegan and this is a good thing. Get animal exploitation out of all aspects of our lives

Pros: Delicious Food, Good Prices, Vegan soap
Cons: The pizza could have been heated more
elephantelizabeth
elephantelizabeth

Blown away

5 Posted on 10 / 27 / 2013

Went for dinner with my family... I wish I lived in Philadelphia (or at least less than 5 hours away) because I would come here all the time. Extremely good food! We ordered the root beer BBQ wings, which were out of this world, and I got the philly cheese steak with fries. I have never had a "regular" philly cheese steak, but this was awesome! The french fries are house made and you can definitely tell because they were super tasty.
The staff was really nice and friendly and did not mind that we went up multiple times to order more! The atmosphere is nothing special, but it is suiting for a pizza joint. Go, go, go!!

Pros: YUM, Good value, Friendly staff
Cons: Not in Rhode Island!!!
Mikemotorbike
Mikemotorbike

unreal. my vegan pizza Mecca.

5 Posted on 10 / 17 / 2013

This place was fantastic. Try the root beer BBQ seitan wings and thank me later. Great food. Great vibe. Pizza is fantastic. They have soda from Maine, really good. If I lived in Philly, this would be the reason I would get big.
Updated from previous review on Thursday October 17, 2013

Pros: so f'ing good!, really good., great service and prices
Cons: doesn't exist where I live
blinddogrescue
blinddogrescue

LOVE Blackbird

5 Posted on 10 / 17 / 2013

You have to try this place. Fantastic vegan pizza, sandwiches are great, and the root beer BBQ wings are my favorite. Plus they have some vegan desserts!
I wish they'd do just a little more with the decor. Stained dropped ceiling just doesn't cut it...

Pros: All vegan, Great food
Cons: Decor, Parking
jwsteampunk
jwsteampunk

Great Pizza - very dangerous walk to Rest Room

4 Posted on 09 / 08 / 2013

Went to Blackbird based on recommendation from vendors at a street fair a few blocks away. Pros: Fungi pizza, vegan wings and tuna wrap were outstanding. Cons: there are no gluten free options.

Biggest issue is the rest room. The door frame to the back hallway is barely 6 feet tall and there is no warning sign. I witnessed a tall customer crack his head very hard and staff simply shrug. (Short pizza team today, I guess).

Pros: Excellent Food, Very Good Selection
Cons: No Gluten Free Options, Dangerous for tall patrons
Stevie
Stevie

Blackbird Pizzeria, Philadelphia

5 Posted on 07 / 01 / 2013

I was here yesterday afternoon. Despite being the quiet time of the day between lunch and dinner, it was still very popular with a steady stream of people coming and going and people placing phone orders.

Its all vegan and while billed as a pizza place they also do buffalo wings. The pizza I had was quite sensational, a triumph, one of the best I have ever had.

There's a bunch of fliers and stuff by the door with blurb on musical events, political stuff etc.

Location in in the historic district in downtown Philly. Its around a 10 min walk from 5th street subway and the Liberty Bell centre.

Setting and service were both fine. Prices very reasonable indeed.

Pros: All vegan, Superb pizza, Great value
Cons: No wifi
s144799
s144799

One of the best veg pizza on the market

5 Posted on 06 / 22 / 2013

The pizza tastes very good and almost like real pizza. They have veg wings which remind me exactly of real wings! Can't get much better than that! I left the airport one time during the heart of rush hour and made a detour into South Philly to go to Blackbird because I've haven't been there for months. Anyone familiar with South Philly would know that traffic is a nightmare there during rush hour.

Pros: Great food, Great desserts from Vegan Treats
ReidMeFirst
ReidMeFirst

Best Vegan Cheesesteak

5 Posted on 05 / 28 / 2013

This place has by far the best vegan cheesesteak in the US (and, by extension, the world).

I grew up around Philly and used to eat the real thing when I was a kid. After going veg it is the only food that I've missed. I've tried seitan steaks in Portland, Seattle, NYC, and none of them hold a candle up to these: thinly sliced seitan fried up until it's just shy of crispy and spiced to perfection.

The atmosphere here is typical Philly pizza-and-sub-shop: place your order at the counter, grab a seat, and keep an ear open for your name to be called.

While I don't live in Philly anymore, this will be one place that I stop by every time I'm in town...

Pros: Great food, Greasy (if you like fried things)
Cons: Gets a bit busy at times, Greasy (if you don't like fried things)
vegan_ryan
vegan_ryan

New place, great pizza

5 Posted on 02 / 20 / 2013

This place is in the location of the old Gianna's (may they rot in hell), and I'm glad to see a vegan place has replace the business that lied to vegans for so many years.

The pizza here is really good, and the staff was friendly. I was glad to find this place on a recent trip to Philly. Definitely recommended.

Pros: All-vegan, Pizza
Vegiforlife
Vegiforlife

Blackbird

4 Posted on 01 / 10 / 2013

So excited to find this place! In a great artsy area of Philly. What the restaurant lacks in decor it totally makes up for with taste. We tried quite a few things and everything was great! I recommend the Cuban, wow! Also the chickpea parm was amazing and we reheated that at home the next day. We had a cheesesteak that was good but it wasn't the best we've had. The seitan could have used more flavor and more cheese but it was good. We also had the seitan pizza which was awesome, the crust was perfect, nice and crispy. The eggplant grinder was also a winner and got rave reviews from an omnivore in our group. To finish it off we had a chocolate mint moon pie and a pumpkin moon pie. Both were excellent but I am dreaming about that pumpkin moon pie and am resisting the urge to make the hour drive back for another!
Updated from previous review on Monday November 19, 2012

Pros: taste, location, friendly staff
Cons: decor, no juice
Kfoxhill
Kfoxhill

Sooooo good!

5 Posted on 12 / 20 / 2012

ALL vegan, ALL the time...
I can't get enough of Blackbird! I go there all the time. Their vegan cheese steak is the best I've had so far! Soups fantastic, pizzas delicious!
If you're in from out of town you must go!
If your a local, make this your regular hangout :)

p.s. they have vegan treats baked goods! Voted one of the best bakeries (not best vegan bakery - best bakery) in the country by American Express (I think). Delightful!!!!

Pros: Vegan cheese steak, soups, pizzas, Vegan treats baked goods, friendly staff
Cons: none!
NIBsmf
NIBsmf

Even Better Than I Anticpated!

5 Posted on 12 / 19 / 2012

This is one of those vegan restaurants I read about when it opened and have been super excited about ever since! I finally got a chance to go last weekend, and boy did it live up to my expectations! Let me start off by saying that it was quite an adventure to finally get to eat there... on Saturday night my boyfriend and I gave up looking for a parking space in the area after having driven around for a half hour (and we had to make it to a concert so couldn't spend more time). On Sunday night, we went back with my brother (who lives in Philly and knows more tricks about parking than we do), and while we managed to find a spot a few blocks away, it was raining and we barely made it to the restaurant before they closed due to how long finding a spot had taken again! Anyway...

Food: 10. All that they had left were 2 slices of the nacho pizza, and the kitchen was closed when we walked in. Luckily, they let me have those last slices, and was I ever glad that they did! That was the flavor I had wanted to try most, anyway. It did not disappoint! Even my brother, who often mocks vegan products, said it was good.

Price: 8. I was in such a hurry that I honestly don't remember exactly what it cost, but I think it was okay.

Atmosphere: 8. Decent sized. Nothing fancy, but not too shabby, either.

Staff: 10. They were super nice to me, even though we walked as they were closing. They let me eat the pizza there and did not make me feel like I had to rush.

Pros: All vegan!, Yummy!, Good variety
Cons: Parking is a pain
GriffinPalmer88
GriffinPalmer88

Amazing Food

5 Posted on 08 / 19 / 2012

This place has Amazing food and does even more than pizza. All the food there is very good and freshly made. Even the fountain drinks are unique and delicious. Highly recomended. Also has a pretty diecent sitting area.

Pros: Excellent Food, Vegan, Good sized portions
Cons: A nudge on the pricey side
sriblet
sriblet

The Best Pizza/Sandwiches Ever. Period.

5 Posted on 08 / 04 / 2012

Since Blackbird opened, we've been there at least once a month. We've tried most things on the menu (all great), but by now we have our order down to a science - caesar salad, seitan cheesesteak, a slice of haymaker pizza (seitan sausagge, onions and oregano) and a slice of veggie supreme (peppers, onions, artichokes, olives and mushrooms). The crust is so good, and they do amazing things with Daiya. After having Blackbird, other vegan (and omni) pizzas can never live up!
As for the location - we love the cozy pizzeria vibe and simple decor. Yes you get some South Street characters, but they are seriously half the fun! And the prices are reasonable and all of the staff are so nice. Easily worth a visit or two or three (a week).

Pros: Best Pizza, Best Cheesesteaks, Everything Else
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Blackbird Pizzeria

5 Posted on 07 / 13 / 2012

A non-veg friend of mine heard I was going to Philly and immediately recommended the vegan Philly cheese steak from Blackbird. Thank goodness that I listened to him!

I'm going to start by saying, this was my favorite vegan Philly ever, that is until I went to Mi Lah a few days later...but it's still pretty amazing. When I ordered my food they immediately put it on the grill and cooked the seitan with Daiya cheese. The sandwich looked really good when they brought it to me and it tasted even better than it looked. The bread was really good as were all of the ingredients. I also ordered a vegan brownie from Vegan Treats, which was ok. Overall, Blackbird is in my top 3 for Philly. Such a great place!

VeganLin
VeganLin

Good Pizza

5 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2012

I have only been to Blackbird once and had a slice of their mushroom truffle pizza. I often don't like vegan cheese, but this was very tasty. The slices are a good size and I was satisfied with one slice. They rotate their offerings of pizza by the slice so not all of the menu options will be available if you don't want to order a whole pie. There is a decent amount of seating and service is friendly. They also had some vegan cupcakes for sale when I was there. I will definitely be back to try more of their pizza varieties.

Pros: Friendly service, Tasty pizza selections, All vegan
Cons: Location far from center city
shymatt1001
shymatt1001

great place

4 Posted on 06 / 18 / 2012

one of my favorite restaurants anywhere. try the seitan cheesesteak, veggie supreme pizza, or the haymaker pizza. the bbq sandwich is the one you must try

Pros: pizza, sandwiches, vegan treats desserts, natural sodas
proper or pompous?
proper or pompous?

the best vegan pizzeria in the states

5 Posted on 05 / 13 / 2012

i always find a way to stop in blackbird when i'm in philly. every pizza style i've sampled there has been outstanding, and the smoked tofu cubano is my go to sandwich.

Pros: good food, good price, good folks
Cons: can be heavy
hunanip
hunanip

Yum!

5 Posted on 04 / 22 / 2012

The pizza was perfect and the cheesesteak was delishious. Even my carnivore son and husband enjoyed them!

John Kevin
John Kevin

Gets Better Every Time

4 Posted on 03 / 16 / 2012

My first visit last Fall delivered the best vegan pizza I've had ("nacho" slice with avocado and carmelized onion) ... but that visit was ruined by DEAFENINGLY LOUD music (even by South Street standards)! One would think a vegan restaurant would strive for a more pleasant atmosphere. Still, I can't resist the place and the food always delivers. They seem to have cleaned it up/scrubbed it down a bit, too. Blackbird delivers vegan comfort food that tops all the rest. I just don't want to guy deaf while getting my fix, though.

Pros: Food, Prices, People
Cons: Atmosphere
nardanddee
nardanddee

Finally!

4 Posted on 02 / 22 / 2012

An all vegan pizzeria...need I say more???? I had a slice of the veggie supreme for lunch and carried out the seitan cheesesteak to eat later for dinner. I love the variety of pizza choices and am in love with this place. My pizza was out of this world! The cheesesteak did leave something to be desired, though. It was lacking seasoning - so it did end up being a disappointment. But I will be returning during my next Philly trip to get some more of that yummy pizza!

Pros: good variety, good prices, plenty of street parking
Cons: some choices lack seasoning
thevegantwins
thevegantwins

Fantastic!

5 Posted on 02 / 19 / 2012

The best vegan pizza I have ever eaten, better than NYC or NJ establishments. The staff is friendly and I love that they don't use meat analogues, just homemade, delicious seitan. The staff is friendly and the toilet is clean and large, which is a huge plus when eating out with children.

My only complaint is that I wish they had desserts that were not Vegan Treats. Those desserts are just way too junky. If they are looking for a wonderful, vegan baker, they should check out Wildflower Vegan in Millville, NJ. Awesome vegan desserts with some healthier ingredients.

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Great variety
Cons: Food can come out haphazardly, Vegan Treats desserts are horrible, Wish they had tea/coffee
  • sgoodmanesq sgoodmanesq

Thanks for pointing out that those are Vegan Treat deserts. I will not eat them as they contain hydrogenated oils.

hfgkap
hfgkap

Best sandwiches.

5 Posted on 01 / 28 / 2012

I always try to go here when I'm in Philly. The menu is creative, fresh and inspiring. The pizza is very good (I'm partial to the mushroom). However, the sandwiches are what really rock my socks off!! The Cubano is D I V I N E! Best whoopie pies too. Also the staff isn't stuck up and they are attentive, always appreciated. Good music.

Pros: Fresh ingrediants, Sandwiches rule, Relaxing atmosphere
KATHLEEN W.
KATHLEEN W.

The BEST vegan pizza & sandwiches!

5 Posted on 01 / 12 / 2012

I love Blackbird. The food is amazing. Everything off the menu tastes great- pizza, sandwiches, fries, etc. They even have Vegan Treats for dessert. The "decor" isn't very nice, but the food makes up for it.

Pros: food, price
Cons: decor
sgoodmanesq
sgoodmanesq

Good pizza and sandwich spot

5 Posted on 11 / 20 / 2011

Truly innovative and creative pizzas rotated on a daily basis. The sandwiches are also excellent. Although not exactly health food, it's probably the best vegan pizza place I've tried on the east coast and the best New York style vegan pizza I've ever had. I would recommend walking down South street to Whole Foods for dessert. This Whole Foods location had an amazing selection of vegan desserts, more so than any other location I've visited.

AChristman93
AChristman93

Best Vegan/Vegetarian comfort food in Philly

5 Posted on 10 / 19 / 2011

This is hands down the best vegan comfort food in the area. I have not had a pizza or a sandwich there that I did not love! The food is fantastic and the prices are just right. Save room for the cupcakes! Those are also delicious. I noticed some people commenting on the appearance. Last time I was there you could see work had been done but even before it was fine. Id rather have amazing food in a casual laid back place than moderate food in a fancy place. I love Blackbird Pizza!

Pros: excellent food, reasonably priced, friendly
Cons: difficult to find parking
vgnhrt
vgnhrt

YUM!!!

4 Posted on 09 / 21 / 2011

We absolutely love this place, we visit it every time we're in Philly. Delicious pizza & sandwiches, and the desserts (by Vegan Treats) are amazing.

Yes it's a dive like everyone else has stated, but the food more than makes up for that. I highly recommend giving this place a try.

Jamberry
Jamberry

Great food, dive

5 Posted on 07 / 13 / 2011

So glad we found this place. We drive into the city, especially, for it! Usually get the cheesesteaks and cubanos, but have sampled a few pizza slices, as well. I can't say a bad thing about any of the food we've had. We don't usually sit there to eat, just get it to go. It's a bit of a dive, but I wouldn't expect much from a sandwich shop. Can't wait for our next trip downtown!

Pros: Great food, Takeout
C.Icore
C.Icore

Not for everyone

2 Posted on 06 / 30 / 2011

My husband and I visited Blackbird with our daughter this week during our visit to Philly. This place isn't for everyone. Located in a shabby little hole in the wall with no air conditioning, the atmosphere leaves one wondering if you should just back out. My daughter noticed a sign on the wall speaking about a violent sex offender and we realized this wasn't the kind of place we would ever visit again.

But let's talk about the food. We were hungry and wanted to get to a tour around the corner. So sticking it out, we tried to order. YOU CAN NOT ORDER OFF THE MENU. The pizza is sold by the slice and you can only have what they have available. So the menu you see online and might have your heart set for, isn't always what you get. The pizza was DRY and didn't have a lot of flavor. My hubby ordered the cheesesteak and it was served about 20 minutes after our pizza slices. The Philly was bland and dry, not any effort put into it.

The service.. wow.. If you are a 20 year old college student, it might be ok. But otherwise, I would rather not see your butt cheeks hanging out of your jumper while I am having dinner with my family. And please, guys.. wake up and focus on the customers and not each other.

We ended up being late for our tour and disappointed with our dinner.

We should have just left when we walked in and went to one of the places around the corner with other customers.

I wanted to give this place a 1 cow, but happy cow doesn't allow this. So..2 unhappy cows.

Pros: good fries
Cons: expensive, dirty, poor food
veganshmegan
veganshmegan

outstanding

5 Posted on 06 / 05 / 2011

I have to agree with supervegan that the cubano and bbq mushroom are amazing, really delicious sandwiches. It doesn't stop there though, I have tried all of the sandwiches and they are all first rate, the cheese steak is the new standard in Philly. Contrary to what the reviewer bellow me said, I found it very tasty, especially with hot sauce drizzled on top. As other people have pointed out, the crust is fantastic, though sometimes it can seem like there is a bit much of it relative to the other ingredients. However, this is a minor issue, as the pizza tastes great and the creative combinations are delightful. I must say that the first few times I went here the guy who took my order seemed apathetic and was not at all pleasant, but lately there have been new people behind the counter and they have been outstanding. If you ever find yourself in the Philly area, you owe it to yourself to go here. Really, you have to.

Pros: great sandwiches, great pizza, clean and welcoming
conniex721
conniex721

Worth a Second Shot

3 Posted on 04 / 15 / 2011

I love that this place is 100% vegan! They also use compostable silverware; a nice touch. I had the BBQ pizza. I thought it could have used more sauce. While the crust was delicious there was too much of it relative to the other toppings. The fries were fantastic, best I've had in a while. I also tried the chocolate cake, which was a bit too sweet for me, but I'm not a big cake fan. The peanut butter cup brownie and pumpkin whoopie pie were both fantastic. I'd definitely come back but I want more (dare I say it?) grease on my pizza!

Pros: All Vegan, Creative Menu, Great Desserts
Cons: Not enough toppings, Too dry
jacqui
jacqui

Not as nice as I'd hoped

2 Posted on 04 / 07 / 2011

This place got an excellent review for vegan cheesesteaks in the local paper so whilst I was visiting Philly I popped in. Easy to find, somewhere to sit and prices seemed reasonable. However, the music was way too loud, the table was sticky, foodwise - a disappointment, the pizza was dry and tasteless and my vegan cheesesteak was the most greasiest, tasteless thing I have ever eaten. I guess it just didn't suit my European palate as the place was pretty popular with locals.

Pros: Cafe style, Easy to find
Cons: Noisy, Greasy food, Dry pizza
Jason12341234
Jason12341234

great vegan addition to Philly

4 Posted on 04 / 04 / 2011

First, let's just be honest...this place is soooo much better than what used to be in this location.....okay....now on to the review:

Good vegan pizza. The haymaker and nacho are very good. They also have a very good seitan cheesesteak. Nice people and vegan treats availabe. Also, they use biodegradable (sp??) plastic ware. Of course, you should bring your own silverware and "reduce" but its nice that they are thinking out of the box. Vegan coleslaw is a tasty treat and fries are very good as well.

Pros: cheesesteak, nice employees, all vegan!!!
Cons: you might be too full for dessert :)
lfusfeld
lfusfeld

yum

5 Posted on 03 / 18 / 2011

Love this place. The owners are really nice. The food is really delicious. I wish they offered whole wheat and more salad options so that I could eat there more often.

Pros: delicious
Cons: cold, weekend traffic and parking, no whole wheat options
FUZZYGUY828
FUZZYGUY828

Bring your blanket

3 Posted on 02 / 21 / 2011

I think the experience would have been better had the heater been working.
Also, the Pizza needs more oil and more sauce on it.
I felt it was a little under cooked.
I think this store has potential. It has good spirit and needs to have a more colorful promotion in Philly.
It is a nice place to eat lunch in the Spring.

Pros: MEnu, Seating, Pricing
Cons: Freezing, Pizza needs oil, area
JMcCleary
JMcCleary

Impressive pizza and sandwiches

4 Posted on 02 / 07 / 2011

I've gotten takeout a few times from Blackbird. The pizza is really good with an excellent crust. But I really love the sandwiches which are creative and interesting. The tofu cubano is my favorite by far. The fries are delicious too. I just wish they were located closer to where I live!

Pros: vegan pizza!
supervegan
supervegan

Dream come true.

5 Posted on 01 / 18 / 2011

Their tofu cubano and bbq mushroom sandwich are all I want/need in life. The pepperoni pizza is great too. They also make some really fun and interesting gourmet pies. I do hope they'll expand the menu a little, though. I want Sicilian pizza! And more vegan cheese options, at least for whole pie orders. Daiya is OK, but it gives several of my vegan friends stomach troubles and they never want to go in for a whole pie with me!

Pros: all-vegan, friendly staff, gourmet toppings
Cons: only uses Daiya cheese
jamestyack
jamestyack

ooooooh pizza how i missed you

5 Posted on 10 / 24 / 2010

Great tasting pizza and lots of choice. Everything in this place is vegan. Even yummy deserts including 4 different huge cakes they're slicing. Nice staff and lots of seating. Nice ambience complete with friendly vegans and art/photography on the walls. Will be coming back!

Pros: great tasting pizza, no animal products, nice cosy ambience for a pizza joint
Cons: cannot think of one
Jamie Roberts
Jamie Roberts

The BBQ Portabello Sandwich is Fantastic!

5 Posted on 10 / 19 / 2010

This is a nice avante-guard little pizza place just off South Street with a terrific variety of pizza (topped with Daiya cheese), superb sandwich offerings and some yummy desserts. Whenever we're in the area, we'll be heading back.

It would be nice to see a non-Daiya tomato pie offered.

Pros: Excellent Food, Friendly Staff, Variety
Cons: Parking in the area is rough.

Dear Owner and Manager of Blackbird Pizzeria: