Black Sheep Deli and Bakery

Serves meat, veg options available. Has vegetarian and vegan options, frozen prepared meals (veggie lasagna, pot pies, etc. Price: Moderate more-less
Take-out, Catering, Non-veg

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by will-travel-for-food
jujutsuka
jujutsuka

love love coffee

Posted on 01 / 08 / 2015

Love love their coffee (dean's beans, AHAB'S REVENGE).

My favorite sandwich is the Jamie's Veg: hummus, veggies, cream cheese -- but without the cream cheese and replace it with guacamole. It's great.
They also have a huge salad but it's HUGE and I can never eat it all -- has hummus, olives, etc. (maybe you have to ask for it without feta, don't remember).

They always have some vegan baked good: most usually vegan chocolate cupcakes with chocolate or vanilla frosting [really hard to resist!], and they also have some vegan cookie.

Great place to sit and do work most of the time -- can get busy and loud with conversations, though, since this is the place the college students bring their parents. :) It's somewhat of a dirty place at times, perhaps just old tables etc., but they don't clean the tables enough. I usually end up just getting takeout and bring it to the office for all of the above reasons.

Pros: veggies always fresh, great great coffee
Cons: crowded, loud at times
RayneTupelo
RayneTupelo

Nice Local Restaurant

Posted on 11 / 14 / 2012

Black Sheep Deli gives you a feel for the local Amherst atmosphere. Having said that, I wasn't super excited with my meal there. I ordered the portabella sandwich, which I thought was average, and a vegan cupcake which seemed a little stale and was too sugary for me to eat all of it at once. Overall, my experience was underwhelming, but they do make their own bread and some of it is vegan and gluten-free, if you're into that.

Pros: nice location, nice atmosphere, homemade bread
Cons: not many vegan options
healthyeater
healthyeater

Vegan baked goods--yummy!

Posted on 05 / 27 / 2011

My friend and I had the vegan chocolate cupcakes, and they were excellent. This is a great place for vegans to get cupcakes and other delicious baked goods. They were a little messy though, so get plenty of napkins. : )

Pros: Great desserts

sloweducation
sloweducation

decent sandwiches

Posted on 10 / 28 / 2008

the black sheep is on the pricey side. seven bucks for a sandwich that is easy to prepare and has common, cheap ingredients. that said, the sandwiches are pretty tasty and the coffee's alright. the atmosphere varies -- they often have appalling acoustic performers preventing conversation in their main room. nobody ever seems to be interested in the music, but they stay presumably because its better than the cold. still, along with crazy noodles, the best vegan-friendly meal you'll find in downtown amherst.

Pros: better than the competition
Cons: still not great
will-travel-for-food
will-travel-for-food

Fantastic dark roast coffee!

Posted on 05 / 09 / 2008

We love the Black Sheep Blend coffee offered here. We occasionally stop in to take a pound or two home with us to Rhode Island. They make some fantastic breads, too. Vegans should be aware that some of them contain honey, however. I believe that The Lone Wolf restaurant just up the block (which has delicious vegan breakfast offerings) uses breads and coffee beans from the Black Sheep. The Black Sheep is probably the best spot in town to get a nice, robust cup of coffee.

Pros: great coffee, great breads

Dear Owner and Manager of Black Sheep Deli and Bakery: