Organic produce, deli, vitamins. more-less
1100 Highway 33 (Paxson Ave)
Trenton, New Jersey 08690
609-586-6187

First Review by tollyholly
CoreRhythmsAddict
CoreRhythmsAddict
  • non-vegetarian

Sister Store Experience

Posted on 05 / 15 / 2012

I was just in Black Forest Acres II (the other store not far from the original) looking for a few products that I like and that I recommend to clients (as a private Nutritionist). When I asked the owner if she carried any of the products, she said she did not and then continued to ream me and lecture me on the ingredients of the said products for 20 minutes. She was rude, disrespectful, and not even correct in her claims. I was trying to give her business and she actually belittled me to the point that I just walked out. I have never been treated so terribly, let alone by someone in retail! If this original Black Forest Acres is anything like the sister store, I will never step foot in it or recommend it to anyone. In fact, I now will be encouraging my clients to avoid both stores at all costs.

Yoga108
Yoga108

Very knowlegeble stuff

Posted on 05 / 20 / 2010

I had a very bad eye infection, I was in great pain, my lymph nods were swollen and was on the way to the regular doctor to get antibiotics. The store was on my way , so I stop by to pick up a few items. The staff saw my condition, started asking me questions. They were so knowledgeable, knew exactly what is going on with me on the cell level. They recommended the herbs instead proscription antibiotics and other supplements. Also they recommended me a specific diet for my condition. I never went to the doctor , I applied what I got from the Black Forest and next morning I woke up almost healthy again. My infection was dry , the lymph nods were not swollen anymore and paint went away. I was very impressed. I had this before and I always have to go on antibiotics. Not this time. Thank you so much Black Forest staff. The Natural staff definitely works.

Pros: friendly staff , knowlegeble staff, great products
FUZZYGUY828
FUZZYGUY828

LONG TIME CUSTOMER -MUST SEE

Posted on 03 / 01 / 2010

All I can say is the comments here are ridiculous.
It seems there is more anger towards a woman who works at the store then the store.
There are very few healthy choices today.
This store is one of them.
If you want to know about nuitrition or health, speak to JOHN at this store.
He is a real expert and will help you.
As for the store itself, there is enough variety of A to Z plus a hot and cold side bar with juices (tables to sit).
The current staff is very friendly and always ask for a Box instead of a bag.
Check it out.
No, I do not work for these people or know the owner.
I can tell you I have been a customer for over 17 years.
GREAT PLACE TO SHOP!

Pros: Variety, Taste, Expertise
Cons: Hours need to be longer, Store should be expanded, Need for a Green festival in NJ
  • kindlizard kindlizard

John has no medical training and treats people very rudely, inappropriately, especially towards women, the owners know yet choose to allow it. All the other workers know it too, they shrug and say the owners can do nothing about him. He's what's wrong in w HF in Trenton. The deli has NOTHING vegan, all meat. Worst HF store I have ever been to, tied maybe with the other one. Past date food

jpshops
jpshops

Let's just stop going

Posted on 02 / 21 / 2009

I agree with everything eveyone has said about both Black Forest locations. I have been going to the Hightstown one for 20+ years. They weren't always rude with short dates/expired product. When I do visit either store, I bring the expired product to the front register and say loudly "This is expired!" I've been tempted to contact the board of health because this is illegal and they always do it. The people that work at the register don't care and mess up all pricing. You really have to watch every thing they do. At this time, I rarely go to either locations anymore. WFM is close enough for those Organic things that you can't find at Shop Rite and Acme. If we would all stop going to Black Forest we would send a message to them.

Pros: Close
Cons: Rude people, Rotten product, Really overpriced!
kindlizard
kindlizard

Will tell you what I told the owner

Posted on 09 / 19 / 2008

Other constructive ideas: try not to sell produce that is withered and moldy; it may help reduce the number of flies swarming the entire produce section and be more inviting. Also, they may want to check the date of the tofu, tempehs since they are ALWAYS expired. They simply, after ex-date, move them to the freezer, so you buy the spoiled, then frozen, tofu or tempeh.

Another suggestion: don't put the meat and tofu together, especially when the meat leak. It is NOT appealing to those of us who eat veggie.

The last suggestion I will make is to have a vegan option at your deli. All the meat really gives a bad indicator of what a HF store can be. Refusing to make a veggie sandwich w/o mayo is almost offensive. Why not offer something for vegans, whom there are many in your area, but do not go to your store due to the reasons listed above, which I also mentioned to Rudy.

HF stores are supposed to be the cornerstone of a community, at least in my world. This is NOT. This is a sad place to go, I never sing in the produce section, nor felt any joy, or enjoyed a conversation there; all traits of a great HF Store.
[edited by staff - see tos]

tollyholly
tollyholly

Will do in a pinch

Posted on 07 / 15 / 2008

I have to agree with the other posters who noted that the staff (mostly just the owners) is often rude (condescending was a very good description!) and items are often past the expiration date. In fact, they purposely freeze a lot of stuff (e.g. veggie dogs, tofurky-type lunch meat) that only requires refrigeration so that they can sell it past the expiration date.

Their selection is pretty good, and I've never asked them to order something they don't have so I can't complain about that. But their attitude makes it such that I avoid interaction with staff at all costs. They have a good and pretty reasonably-priced selection of pre-packaged bulk foods like dried fruits, sesame sticks, popcorn, etc.

I do find it annoying that most of their deli selection isn't vegan... even their tofu salad has egg-mayo and stuff like that. They do now have a vegan tempeh salad sandwich, though I haven't tried it. Tried the vegan chili and it was totally bland. I could make something better in about 5 minutes.

If the staff was nicer I wouldn't mind going there and paying the higher prices. I live right down the street from this place so I go there when I need something quick. And though I usually like to support small businesses, if Whole Foods was closer, I'd go there instead.

Pros: close to home, cheap sesame sticks and bulk goods, some vegan take-out options
Cons: not-so-friendly staff, items sometimes expired, not enough tasty vegan take-out options
  • tollyholly tollyholly

Update: Most everything's still the same at Black Forest but they have added some vegan take-out options at the deli that are good. Different every day though so you can't be sure what you want will be there. The sloppy joe's is my favorite. It's made with TVP and they give a huge portion along with a whole wheat bun (I'm not 100% sure of the vegan-ness of the bun actually). There was also a garlic chickpea cous cous that was great, though I haven't seen it there recently (I wonder if I could request it?). They also make a good tempeh stew and "tofu italiano". They are reasonably priced, too. I often make a stop there when I don't feel like cooking.

Dear Owner and Manager of Black Forest Acres: