First Review by kindlizard
brianom
brianom

If I Could Rate a "Zero" I Would

1 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2012

I've lived near BFA II for many years and have visited several times. I have always found the staff to be exceptionally angry and difficult. In addition, the prices are exceptionally high (30-40% higher than normal retail prices you'd pay at bigger, friendlier stores).

I made my final ever visit to the store today and will not be back. The owner was at the cashier counter today and while checking out I asked if she had any vegan jerky. She proceeded to talk to me at length about why being vegan is wrong and that it is unnatural. She asked about my ethnic background and told me that because of my family history that I should eat lots of meat and potatoes and starchy foods. I told her that the men in my family have been dying in their 40s and 50s for generations because of that type of diet which is why I practice veganism. She told me that the REAL problem with meat is how it is prepared and started telling me in graphic detail how animals are slaughtered in her home country in Europe by using electrocution which according to her is a more humane choice. It was an infuriating, insulting, and disgusting experience.

If you want me to pay $10 for a jar of your vegannaise, you should be nice to me and respect my food choices. I'll never be back again and I encourage all other local vegans/vegetarians to boycott as well.

I'll also second one of the other reviewer's comments: most of their food in the freezer section is past the "use by" date. I've asked them about it before and they justify it because it is frozen. For the prices they charge the food should be fresh!

Pros: None
Cons: Extremely Expensive, Rude, Angry, Insulting Staff, Poor Selection of Past Use By Date Food
CoreRhythmsAddict
CoreRhythmsAddict
  • non-vegetarian

Rude and Disrespectful Store Owner

1 Posted on 05 / 15 / 2012

I was just in this store looking for a few products that I like and that I recommend to clients (as a private Nutritionist). When I asked the owner if she carried any of the products, she said she did not and then continued to ream me and lecture me on the ingredients of the said products for 20 minutes. She was rude, disrespectful, and not even correct in her claims. I was trying to give her business and she actually belittled me to the point that I just walked out. I have never been treated so terribly, let alone by someone in retail! I wouldn't step in this store again if it were the last place to sell water when the Earth comes to an end.

Cons: Owner, Selection
FUZZYGUY828
FUZZYGUY828

Needs some help

2 Posted on 03 / 29 / 2010

Here is a few things. This store's owner is very knowledgeable. The problem is that it has not improved or offered anything different over the years.
I feel it has some good things about the store.
I have never seen flies in the store or bad produce. This is a lie.
As for the selection, it is decent but, there needs to be more added to this store.
The store should do better for promotions and have more Vegan products.

Pros: Owner, Location, Stability
Cons: Selections, Lack of Vegan Promotions, Not Unique
  • kindlizard kindlizard

I don't appreciate being called a liar. Their products are often past date including the produce. The past reviews that were removed supported that exactly. If you ask them about freshness, you get yelled at.

kindlizard
kindlizard

not again

1 Posted on 10 / 03 / 2008

Let me say that this place was right by my old work, so I went here when I had to, only. They had tempeh sandwiches, but they never made any of them vegan. They always put mayo in them. That was the only veg sandwich they had, others were meat based. The produce was never fresh, there were literally flies in the produce section. The other perishables were always past date (tofu, tempeh, etc) and the other stuff was very overpriced. The staff was not nice either. They actually do yell at you here, the 2 older ladies that run the shop at least.

When you think of HF stores, you think of a happy place, typically. This is not the case with BFAII. I would not suggest coming here under any circumstance. They have a lot of meat here anyway, even in their dry goods.

Pros: n/a
Cons: staff, produce, expired dry goods

Dear Owner and Manager of Black Forest Acres II: