Open Oct 2013 a cooperatively run, not-for-profit, vegan cafe. Offers vegan sweets and treats and sells vegan cookbooks. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, British, Western

First Review by HelenGi
Chris W
Chris W

Can't recommend this place enough!

5 Posted on 06 / 26 / 2014

This place is fantastic - it looks great and is really inviting and there is a great range of home cooked food - breakfasts, seitan pie, mash and greens, amazing huge sausage rolls, cakes etc etc. The menu changes regularly and is often really inventive.

They also sell loads of vegan groceries - some of which are very tricky to get hold of normally as well as cut-price vegan cookery books. All of the staff are really friendly. The cafe is a co-operative. There is little to fault really!

Pros: Great inventive food, Really nice surroundings, Great shop
imogenmichel
imogenmichel

Superb vegan breakfast fry up

5 Posted on 04 / 06 / 2014

I came here for breakfast this weekend and I was so impressed! I hadn't had a proper fried breakfast in a cafe since I went vegan, and the food in the Black Cat really reminded me of how good a weekend morning fry up can be. The space is lovely and the staff were very friendly and helpful. Totally fantastic!

Pros: All vegan delicious food, Great staff and space
Nikki1801
Nikki1801

I LOVE this place!

5 Posted on 03 / 24 / 2014

This place is awesome. I mean, the staff, the atmosphere, the food...We've left the Uk now for a while and I can't wait to get back in the city to return here. We had mushroom pie with mash, greens and gravy and it was just unreal! Proper British food :) We also had drinks and cakes which were also decent, well worth the trip to try it out! They also have a nice section selling books/off the shelf food stuffs, plus a big fridge stocked with all kinds of vegan foods at really decent prices :)

Pros: ethos, great atmosphere, great food, reasonable price
Cons: Location (if going afterdark)
robz
robz

I could live here ;)

5 Posted on 03 / 14 / 2014

Today was a sunny spring day and I met a friend at the cafe for lunch. The large front window was completely open letting the sun stream in with people sitting relaxed on the benches at the front, could have been on the continent rather than looking over Hackney's Pembury estate ;)

My almond burger in brown bun was tasty and came with lovely brown chips (just how my mother used to make them), and a side salad with sprouts. Great food and at a good price, and friendly relaxed service.

They have a good range of books for sale too. I like the fact they are a co-op and operate a fair price policy.

I could have spent all day in here, but I had to come back to work :(

Pros: check, all vegan, food is great
Cons: not open too late
Veganizor
Veganizor

Amazing!

5 Posted on 03 / 03 / 2014

A 5 minute walk from Hackney Central Station you will find this incredible 100% vegan cafe, where you can choose from big and delicious breakfast, lunch or dinner -not all at the same time though you will be tempted! - or their delicious treats - brownies, cakes and smoothies. Staff is very warm and welcoming and you can also buy your vegan treats such as vegusto, daiya or chocolates. It will occupy most of your dayIt's a must! Closed on Tuesdays.

JacquiCycles
JacquiCycles

Amazing - wish I'd come sooner

4 Posted on 03 / 01 / 2014

Finally cycled here today. Bike racks right outside. Lots of choice on the menu, all still available at 5pm. We had one bangers and mash and one burger and chips. Both were lovely. My made in house burger had a nice smoky taste and was a good size, chips where with skins, again seemed home made, neither too skinny or too chunky. Salads that came with were very tasty.There were 6 or 7 choices for lunch, and lots of cake and dessert options. The cafe itself is lovely, light and welcoming, which great decoration in the loo and around the fridges. It carrys lots of books, more chilled processed vegan food and some rare vegan sweets and chocs to take away too.
I really enjoyed it and will def be back. Great choice of drinks too, including vegan milk shakes and hot chocs.

Pros: Great choice, Tasty home made food, Light and open with bike racks outside.
Cons: Slightly chilly near the door., 11 miles from me in Tooting.
elrujo
elrujo

AMAZING CHARITY IDEA

4 Posted on 02 / 14 / 2014

people this place is to be supported

those people volunteer and make great vegan food

these places gotta spread in the world

big amounts of food and cheap

we all gotta thanks the volunteers for their time and energy they invest in creating great veg food for us all to enjoy

Pros: amazing idea, good food and cheap, great staff
Cons: bigger variety please
bridget_claire
bridget_claire

Hooray!

4 Posted on 01 / 09 / 2014

I was very sad when Pogo closed but I am so happy that Black Cat replaced it!

As it is around the corner from me, I have been to Black Cat several times and it hasn't disappointed. I recommend the burger and chips, the chef's special and the pie. The cakes are great too, and the coke float reminds me of being a kid again.

Black Cat is clean, warm and friendly. I really like the shop, as it is a great place to stock up on vegan goodies. The bookstore is also great.

I just wish they were open later, as it would be a nice place to go have a drink and play cards with friends. I also miss the social events that used to happen at Pogo. It would be great if Black Cat had some film nights, fundraisers or other events.

Pros: Tasty food, Cheap, Warm and friendly
Cons: Closes too early, No events
  • JennyMiles JennyMiles

Hi there, thanks so much for your review!
    We would love to open later, and it's definitely something we're planning to do as soon as we can, but unfortunately it's just not possible for us yet :( However, we do have great plans, including more events and meetups, so it might be worth checking our Facebook page or Twitter occasionally as that's where we post updates & news first.
    Thanks again! :)

SoyBoy666
SoyBoy666

Fantastic All Around!

5 Posted on 12 / 19 / 2013

Holy Cow!
The kickass menu is all killer, all filler!
The shakes take you to heaven and the burger is served on cloud 9.

Best vegan place around.
Period.

caramelbunny
caramelbunny

nothing special

2 Posted on 12 / 18 / 2013

My girlfriend and me went there recommended by a neighbour. We were let down by food lacking inspiration. If you dont mind your meals too salty and cakes too sweet it can be Ok but we found the whole experience disappointing. On the positive side its cheap and there is a vegan shop inside the restaurant.

Pros: vegan shop
Cons: dirty cutlery!
  • JennyMiles JennyMiles

Hi caramelbunny,
    Thanks for your review! We're sorry you were a bit disappointed by the experience, but we've taken your criticism on board and hopefully your next visit will be more positive.

HelenGi
HelenGi

Black Cat Hackney

5 Posted on 10 / 29 / 2013

A friend of mine recommended meeting at vegan, not for profit Black Cat for lunch, and I'm so pleased that she did as this is an awesome cafe that I am delighted to have found.

The wonderfully bright space has a relaxed atmosphere and the staff are helpful, friendly and knowledgeable about veganism. Black Cat also stocks a selection of vegan foods and books for purchase.

The menu is small but varied, and I could happily have eaten any of the meals. I settled on a mixed salad plate of beet salad, potato salad and cabbage and ginger salad. I usually don't enjoy cabbage, but this was so good that I helped my friend finish hers! The chocolate brownie with affogato finished off my meal perfectly.

I will definitely be going back to Black Cat Cafe again and again and again.

Pros: Vegan, Not for profit, Excellent value

Dear Owner and Manager of Black Cat: