Black Bean Deli

Serves meat, veg options available. Original location of this authentic Cuban cuisine. Offers several vegan choices including empanadas, black beans, rice, plantain and yuca. Not all labeled, so ask. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Ovo, Lacto, Cuban, Latin American, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by eastendgrrl22
cultureclimax
cultureclimax

Best Cuban in Orlando

4 Posted on 05 / 10 / 2013

Black Bean Deli has a lot of vegan options that people don't know about
-black beans
-rice
-salad
-sweet plantains (maduros)
-vegan empanadas
-garbanzo beans
-red beans

They are opening a second location with 85 seats in June 2013 on East Colonial near Bumby!

Pros: fresh, quality products, great prices
cameraphonevegan
cameraphonevegan

Another south Floridian Cuban girl's review

4 Posted on 03 / 18 / 2012

Black Bean Deli's been around for a long time, and has even been voted Orlando's best Cuban restaurant, though it's not so much of a restaurant as a food counter, with just 5 or 6 stools for seating.

My dinner consisted of a container of black bean soup (no rice, per my white rice hating preference), maduros (fried ripe plantains), and 2 vegan empanadas. Despite it being delicious, I was only able to eat half of it. It's a very good value.

I was in absolute heaven. I even traded a couple maduros for a couple of my friend's tostones (fried green plaintains) that I dipped into my black bean soup. SO GOOD. The black bean soup, while being a little salty, was really delish, and the platanos were cooked perfectly. (My Puerto Rican best friend that lives here recommends the black bean soup too!) The maduros have just the right degree of burned cripy edges, and the tostones having the correct crisp outsides and tender middles.

The empanadas were a little different than what I'm used to, and certainly different than mine, filled with meat analogue, carrots and potatoes. This gave it a very cuban comfort food taste (like potaje). I enjoyed them much, and savored them fresh and hot, and cold out of the fridge later!

(Further research determined that they even have an empanada food truck (laempananda.com) that travels around the winter park area. WHAT?!?!?!! Yes. And it sounds like some of those amazing empanadas could possibly be vegan by their descriptions. Someone please find out!)

Highly recommend!

Full review with pictures here: http://cameraphonevegan.com/2012/03/15/black-bean-deli-orlando-fl/

Pros: good value, delicious, fast
Cons: limited seating, styrofoam, no recycling
clunkygirl
clunkygirl

Very good veg Cuban food

4 Posted on 08 / 14 / 2011

I am half Cuban and from Miami so I can be overly critica; with that in mind, this place has pretty good vegan options. I used to order the tamal platter but found out recently that it was not vegan even though a couple of years ago I was assured it was - don't know if an ingredient change occurred or if it was a mistake but I was really disappointed considering I make these all the time completely vegan. The empanada is too tomatoe-y and mushy inside, I like a more "meaty" picadillo so I wasn't crazy about that either. This being said, the rice, beans, salad (excellent lettuce and tomatoes which is unusual), dressing, and plantains are delicious - I generally don't even eat sweet plantains because they can be overly ripe and mushy but these are firm and caramelized just right. I'd like to see them expand their vegan options a little more to include papa rellena, tostones, a better empanada, and remove whatever it is in the tamal that is an animal product as no one would even notice. Still, very tasty and worth the tight fit.

Pros: Flavorful , Authentic
Cons: Could be more vegan, Very little seating
piffelina
piffelina

great empanadas!

4 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2009

so, i'll be the third to write it, but great empanadas!

the waitress told me that one of the items of the vegetarian platter contained egg though, so ask if you're a vegan!

nardanddee
nardanddee

Vegan Empanadas!!!!

4 Posted on 05 / 08 / 2009

Talk about good food! If I hadn't ordered the vegetarian lunch platter with a vegan empanada myself...I'd never had known. The vegetarian lunch platter was good (comes with plaintains, salad, rice and black beans). But what made it awesome was that I just happened to order the vegan empanada, too. Absolutely delicious! Oh, they are located within the Ranch Mall strip (took me awhile to find it). The owner and staff are very friendly and always looking to help a lost outsider find their way to the location :)

Pros: great food, friendly staff, awesome prices
Cons: difficult to find, do not accept AMEX on small orders, parking is limited

BillyAdrienne+4
BillyAdrienne+4

Small and limited food

3 Posted on 01 / 17 / 2009

This place is a nice place to eat at if you don't mind sitting on a stool at a counter, (there are no tables). We have 4 kids and just about fill the small seating area up by ourselves, so we took our order to the park. There is not a whole lot in the way of veg. food, much of what they cook contains chicken, beef and pork. *We loved the Vegan empanadas, and the fried bananas! We would go back again for these item's and perhaps a couple others. * Good experience overall.

Pros: Good Food!
Cons: very small, no tables
rozyxx
rozyxx

Excellent

4 Posted on 10 / 27 / 2008

Amazing food!! One of my top five restaurants in Orlando. I've only ever gotten to-go as there's limited seating - but it's more than worth it. [the drive home can be a little difficult with the delicious smell filling your car, though...] Staff is also great and very helpful! They recently extended their hours - i've never been in there when it wasn't packed.

Pros: great food, great prices, friendly & helpful staff
Cons: limited seating, limited hours
eastendgrrl22
eastendgrrl22

Awesome food at a great price!

4 Posted on 05 / 05 / 2008

I crave the vegan empanadas constantly! That flaky crust filled with a seasoned "meat" and big chunks of carrots and potatoes. Add one to a tamale combo meal and you've got lunch and dinner! There is not much seating, and they get really busy, so we usually just get our food to go. Have a picnic!

Pros: Vegan Empanadas, Friendly and laid back, Great value
Cons: Limited seating

Dear Owner and Manager of Black Bean Deli: