Serves meat, veg options available. Billed as an "energy food" and health food restaurant, this company has several locations in SC; this one is near downtown. Offers breakfast pastries and coffee, various wraps, gyros, and salads. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Organic, American, Take-out, Delivery, Catering, Non-veg

First Review by Zhall
ActiveCaptain
ActiveCaptain

A nice Vegan choice...

4 Posted on 04 / 27 / 2014

It was nice to find a restaurant with Vegan choices. We had 2 wraps and split them - Green Beach Wrap and the Portobello Wrap. Both were quite good. I think the pricing is a touch high but not terrible.

All in all it was a good experience and we'd definitely go back.

Pros: food, freshness, right in town and convenient
Cons: a little pricey, maybe too big of a menu (overwhelming)
CRVeg
CRVeg

Whenever I'm in Charleston I come here

4 Posted on 06 / 27 / 2013

A great concept and idea. Wish I could get here more often. I've never had anything but there wraps. The four different locations can be found here: http://www.blackbeanco.com/locations

The location on King is not ideal at night and terribly small.

The location on Folly Rd has a drive through.

Pros: Great food, Good prices, Nice atmosphere
Nick Kyriazi
Nick Kyriazi

Looks nice

2 Posted on 04 / 20 / 2013

In its new, convenient location, I had high hopes for this restaurant. It doesn't have its act together yet, however. On its menu, under 'Vegan Wraps', the Green Beach Burrito sounded great. On the large menu board, however, one of the ingredients was ricotta cheese. I asked if it were vegan. I was told, after a while, that it was not. Then why was it listed as vegan? Instead, I ordered the Green Spring Street burrito, the first ingredient listed being hummus. I was asked what kind of tofu I wanted. I picked 'Southwest', which sounded good. The burrito wasn't bad, but I could not tell that there was any hummus in it.

I had 'vegan pancakes' for breakfast the next morning which, on the menu board, was to come with maple syrup and strawberries. That sounded good. After 30 minutes, I inquired about the order. I was told that they had been prepared but not delivered so they were thrown out and I had my money refunded. They made a new batch which came quickly. They were bare pancakes with maple syrup on the side and frozen strawberries in a small container. They all came in a plastic basket. I pointed out that, if I poured the maple syrup on the pancakes, syrup that fell off the pancakes would pour through the gaps in the basket. They offered to put them in a to-go box, which I OKed. It was so deep that I couldn't cut the pancakes. They brought a shallower one. I asked why not a simple flat plate? They had only baskets and to-go boxes. I made do. The strawberries were frozen and remained so even after I finished the pancakes, which were OK.

Pros: Location, Nice facility, Friendly employees
Cons: Unknowledgeable employees, Not ready for prime time

Doggiedoc
Doggiedoc

Go to dellz deli instead. Too many processed foods here.

3 Posted on 04 / 07 / 2013

I appreciate this place for having lots of vegan options. However, I take issue with this restaurant calling itself "energy food" when all of the grains are processed. I expected whole grains. Dellz Deli down the road is leaps and bounds more tasty with more character. The only advantage to Black Bean and Co is that there are places to sit and eat.

Kmwolfe
Kmwolfe

Vegan friendly

4 Posted on 10 / 10 / 2012

Lots of vegan options! Great food and service.

Pros: Vegan friendly, Good vegan dishes, Vegan cookies!!
JimJam
JimJam

Not too shabby...

4 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2012

For the average vegan this place is pretty sweet as far as choices are concerned! However, I came with a rather picky family, and they certainly weren't as thrilled... Our waitress was really nice though, and the restaurant is decorated with some cool local art! The portion sizes are better for lunch rather than a filling dinner, but they are tasty nevertheless!

Pros: Friendly staff, Energy food, Tasty
Cons: Not for the picky eater!
rellis
rellis

Solid Good Vegan Fastfood

4 Posted on 04 / 03 / 2012

It's not the best food in the world, but it's solid yummy vegan and fast. Great vegan wraps served fast and convenient. While the Charleston location is cramped you can always squeeze in, the outdoor seating is great. Each wrap comes with a side which is small and not anything to brag about, they are usually dry and tasteless. My biggest complaint is it's expensive for what it is. A vegan wrap for $9 is a lot of money. That said I eat there once a week and recommend it as a solid vegan choice.

Pros: Fast , Good Wraps, Convenient
Cons: Expensive
radiovegan
radiovegan

Wrap was blah, mud pie dessert was delish!

3 Posted on 10 / 31 / 2011

I had high hopes for this place, but was disappointed. I ordered the Mega Veggies wrap and it was downright dull. Yes, it was all veggies but it certainly wasn't "mega" and there was no sauce so it was really bland. Basically, my wrap had no soul. I asked for sauce - and they were glad to give it to me - and it helped improve the flavor. The wrap was pretty pricey, too, given how small it was, so it wasn't even a good value. On the flip side, for dessert, I got the Oreo mud pie, and it was soooo yummy.

Pros: Delicious dessert
Cons: Bland wrap, Overpriced
jgvick
jgvick

Great local find ...

4 Posted on 08 / 09 / 2011

I will never forget when Black Bean first opened. In fact, I was the one who added this to the Happy Cow since I was so impressed with the food. Needless to say, I eat there all of the time, and I have never been disappointed with the food. I will say that I am surprised that they now sell water cups for 50 cents, since it used to be free. I have eaten numerous items off the menu, and all of them have been the vegeterian items. I have also had a few of the specials and desserts ... They are all amazing.

I like that they use a lot of local ingredients, and that the people there are very friendly. I also really enjoy that it is a few short blocks from my house so that I can eat there often, which I will do tomorrow for lunch.

Pros: Good value, healthy cuisine, excellent food
Cons: 50 cent water cup
VeganET
VeganET

Good wraps but the cupcakes & muffins rule!

4 Posted on 08 / 06 / 2011

There aren't a lot of vegan options in Charleston so I was glad to stumble upon this place. The inside is small but cute/casual. The coffee was outstanding and the wraps were good as well. Wraps arn't exactly the most creative vegan food option but they had lots of amazing/different veggies & sauces to choose from (its far from your typical black bean wrap). The best part though were the vegan cupcakes & muffins! They had a suprisingly vast selection of vegan bakery items. We sampled several items and they were all delicious.

Pros: Healthy, inexpensive, bakery items
Zhall
Zhall

I love Black Bean Co!!

4 Posted on 06 / 14 / 2011

The food was absolutely amazing!! During my stay in Charleston, I went to happycow website and decided to give Black Bean Company a try. The food was fresh,tasty and very filling. In addition, it did not take a long time to prepare. We also enjoyed the Kangen Water that was very refreshing. I brough 2 friends along with me (regluar meat eaters) and they LOVED it!! One of them loved it so much, that she actually asked for the owners information to look into franchising:-)...

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine, great staff
Cons: small space

Dear Owner and Manager of Black Bean Co.: