Bite Me Organic Pizza

Serves meat, veg options available. Pizza by the slice or whole. As reported to HappyCow July 09, pizza crust contains eggs. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Ovo, Lacto, Pizza, Western, Organic, Fast food, Take-out, Delivery, Non-veg
457 Saint Paul St
Burlington, Vermont 05401
802-540-0707
  • Wheelchair accessible

First Review by robpaterson
jlo5616
jlo5616

Not vegan, not organic... HUGE disappointment!

1 Posted on 08 / 31 / 2009

I am so pissed. I am a dedicated vegan and was excited when I found Bite Me just a few short days after they opened, as they advertised both organic ingredients and vegan options. The owner made me a "vegan" pizza with "soy" cheese. I came back the next week and found he was out of the "soy" cheese, so he made me a hummus pizza which was pretty good. I agreed to become the guy's consultant/vegan buyer after talking with him and realizing he needed help finding the right vegan products. Well I quickly discovered that he puts honey on the crust, eggs in the dough, and the "soy" cheese was far from vegan. Also, many of the ingredients aren't organic. His business is built on straight up lies and the guy is so disorganized and unsanitary. It is clear he has no intention of making good on his claims of organic ingredients or vegan options, even when people are discovering his lies. I do not know how someone like him could have ever opened up their own business!!!

If you're looking for good vegan pizza, the best way is to make it yourself. Make or go buy a pre-made crust, get some Follow Your Heart, Cheesly, Tease, Deiya, or other vegan cheese and put your own fresh, organic ingredients on it. That or go to Mellow Mushroom down south if you ever get the chance!

Cons: Nothing vegan., Not really organic., Lies Lies LIES!!!
  • Jeffrey Jeffrey

Hi Jlo, thanks for the heads up on this place. I find it amazing how people can lie through their teeth, thinking "what you don't know can't hurt you". At least your review will warn others.

vegannomad
vegannomad

NOT VEGAN and know it!!

2 Posted on 07 / 23 / 2009

ate here when i w3as in town...enjoyed it...wen't back the next day for more...employee a daytime employee informed us to the bad new that the owner Jack had lied the night before...and that the menu lies in print...also pointing out that the fresh pesto comes from a can...enless this place comes clean i would support them(who knows if its even local and or organic?)

Pros: price if organic, pretty good
Cons: not vegan, not fresh, owner lies
Mona Y
Mona Y

Not Vegan as Advertised

1 Posted on 07 / 16 / 2009

I visited Bite Me Organic Pizza last weekend and was disappointed to learn that this establishment mislabels vegan options on its menu and falsified its claim to having a vegan pizza. I called ahead to confirm that there was a vegan option and was told that, yes, there was. However, upon arrival I was informed that there are no vegan options because eggs are used in all of the crust. Also, I was told that the "vegan" label on the pizza only means that some of the ingredients are individually vegan.

robpaterson
robpaterson

Pretty Good Vegan Pizza in Burlington

4 Posted on 12 / 28 / 2008

There aren't many pizza places in Burlington, let alone any that regularly offer vegan pizza on their menu (at least to my knowledge), except this one. We ordered their vegan pizza, which consists of a wheat crust, tomato sauce, lots of great veggies and small pieces of crumbled, very lightly marinated tofu (so lightly marinated that you really can't tell that it was marinated in anything). Everything is obviously organic. You can also order custom pizzas with whatever toppings you want, but they do not have any meat analogs, such as veggie pepperoni or mock sausage. Surprisingly, they also do not offer any vegan cheeses, such as soy, almond or rice-based cheese, or nutritional yeast cheese, whether vegan or with casein (protein extracted from cow's milk that allows non-vegan soy cheeses to melt). They deliver, and they really don't have any on-premise seating to speak of, so going the delivery or take-out route is probably best. The fairly young clientele seems to include a lot of college students and hippie types (no offense meant, of course), and the service and delivery are slow, but if you're craving a vegan pizza, or just an organic vegetarian pizza, it's worth the wait. We can't comment on the vegetarian pizzas with cheese, but they seem great. My hope is that they will eventually include some more creative, tasty toppings, but as it stands, it's pretty good.

Pros: Organic, Fresh Toppings
Cons: No vegan meat or cheese substitutes, No seating, somewhat expensive
  • jlo5616 jlo5616

This was like my first experience, until I discovered the owner's lies. I hate to tell you that they don't use all organic ingredients, or even local ones, and the crust has eggs - making it very much NOT vegan. Also, they put honey on the crust, I know some vegans claim this is okay but I don't think so.

Dear Owner and Manager of Bite Me Organic Pizza: