Serves meat, veg options available. Part of The Empty Bottle music venue. Has several veggie dishes. Brunch on weekend. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Non-veg
1039 N Western Ave
Chicago, Illinois 60622
773-395-2483

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by yourfacehxc
rhymeswithtwee
rhymeswithtwee

revamp left less veg options

Posted on 04 / 10 / 2011

I used to go to Bite every couple weeks, but since the reboot (remodel along with a new chef), it pared down the menu to only a few vegetarian options. They options are okay, but previously you didn't have to pay $2 to add tofu. The old menu had meat options and nearly every one had a veggie or vegan option for no extra charge. Really, the veg options should cost less since vegetables are far cheaper than meat. I know the new chef is trying, so don't give up hope yet. I miss my orchiette and my bih bim bap (sp?).

Pros: some good veg. options, byob, connected to the empty bottle
Cons: loud, fewer veg. options than before, likely will have to wait for a table
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Good Tofu Scramble/Hash

Posted on 02 / 27 / 2009

I've eaten here a few times now. Bite is not fully Vegan or Vegetarian; however, they offer many options and clearly state it on their menu. I'm partial to their tofu hash/scramble, but their soy milk scares me; I haven't had milk in ages, but this one eerily reminds me of it even though my "milk-drinking" friends say it's not even close to tasting like cow's milk. Bite is a good breakfast option on the weekends and I usually bring my carnivore friends from out of town here (when I can't get them to go to a fully veggie place) and they absolutely love it. If you like Bite Cafe, you may also like Vella, which is close by on Western - they have an amazing Vegan tofu/hash.

yourfacehxc
yourfacehxc

Good, but nothing to write home about.

Posted on 12 / 28 / 2008

So I used to live less than two blocks down the street from Bite. It's the quaint little restaurant attached to the Empty Bottle. Well, first of all, there weren't many restaurants within walking distance of my apartment that I cared to eat at. And believe me, I wanted to go out and eat. With that said, in the year I lived down the street I think I ate their twice. The first time....and the last time. haha It's not bad, by any means. The menus are absolutely darling and they usually have neat art on the walls, the food was good enough too. But I just never felt the desire to return. The menu lacks enough choices and it's borderline expensive for the portions you receive. Also, and this is a tad silly, but when the sun is setting at dinner time and comes shining down on their extremely reflective steel tables, it's nearly blinding. Nearly ruined my second time there. After that I said enough. From now on I'll go the extra mile to Sultan's or Handlebar. Sorry, guys.

Pros: Food is pretty good...that's it.
Cons: Lacks choices., Borderline expensive., Install blinds!

Dear Owner and Manager of Bite Cafe: