Its 3rd location, opened Sept 2013. Modern vegetarian British food served with wide range of beers, wines and cocktails. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, British, English, Western, Beer/Wine

LouiseLovesMatcha
LouiseLovesMatcha

Sublime Veggie Food

Posted on 01 / 14 / 2015

Exquisite vegetarian food, there are so few veggie restaurants in Central England and 5 of us drove long journeys in anticipation after reading an intriguing magazine feature on 1847. (Odd name, it's the year the Vegetarian Society was formed apparently). Carefully judged, imaginative and unusual dishes, nothing ordinary, everything special and beautifully presented, strewn with edible flowers and micro greens.. Smoked ice cream was unmissable.. Beer battered Halloumi with a tangy lemon curd was a treat, wafer thin fresh cucumber water served throughout lunch.. this is the best veggie restaurant I've found outside London, Edinburgh, Bristol and Brighton. A much needed, long awaited necessity, pleasure & luxury. Above all, this is food for everybody with imagination and a desire for innovation... No need to be vegetarian to eat food like this, everybody can eat there. Plenty to eat too, the perfect amount.
Great service, stylish contemporary interior in pale, dove grey, cool music, unintrusive. Can't wait to return.

Visited 13th January 2015

Pros: Original, exquisite dishes, Friendly, efficient service, Stylish, contemporary feel
Cons: Coat stand needed ideally
Mupu
Mupu

Posh grub

Posted on 10 / 30 / 2014

Wow! I was very impressed with the Michelin restaurant style cuisine. Beautifully presented and a lot of flavours combining on the plate. Small portions though so you need to order quite a lot.

Pros: Great flavours, Interesting combinations, New ideas
Cons: small portions
Rosa Mundi
Rosa Mundi

Good main courses

Posted on 07 / 29 / 2014

I have been here 4 times but if today's visit had been my first it would have put me off.
I like a leisurely lunch but two and a half hours for two courses is too slow. Perhaps there were staff shortages.
The menu hasn't changed much in the months since I first visited so there is no real reason to go again as I have had all the main courses and there are no specials to ring the changes.
I like to support vegetarian restaurants but this one has to improve to persuade me to visit again.

Pros: Inventive tasty mains, City centre venue
Cons: Very slow service, Unchanging menu

CallumB
CallumB

Delicious, inventive food, but expensive

Posted on 04 / 19 / 2014

The restaurant is about one minute away from the Snow Hill Station car park, and so is easy to get to by car.

It's very small, with about six small tables on the ground floor and the same again on the floor above.

Our food arrived quickly, for all three courses (but we were there at 6:30pm, so it wasn't busy), and the staff are friendly.

We had the sweet potato beignet and vegetable tempura to start, both of which were very nice, though the tempura was the better of the two. For mains, all three of us had the battered smoked tofu, which was pretty incredible - the tofu itself was quite dense and extremely flavourful, more like a sausage than tofu, and the surrounding sauces were interesting and complemented the flavour well (however the tofu might be a bit too strong for some - one of our group commented on this). I had a chocolate cake for dessert which was also very nice.

The downside is that the food is expensive, and the portions quite small (however though the tofu main looked like a small portion, it was very filling).

Definitely worth going to.

Pros: Delicious food, Nice atmosphere - informal, Friendly staff
Cons: Expensive, with small portions
Greysocialist
Greysocialist

Stylish and delicious

Posted on 03 / 04 / 2014

We enjoyed the £14 two-courses-with-wine lunch. Hard to choose from an imaginative menu. Great service, beautiful presentation - a special experience. And the location in the arcade gives a very nice atmosphere in which the bare board floor and simple table settings are appropriate. London prices? Maybe, but an oasis in Birmingham and it's so central! Just round the corner from New Street/Corporation Street and the Cathedral.

Pros: Location, Imaginative menu, Taste!
valerie graham
valerie graham

About time too!

Posted on 01 / 09 / 2014

We had a lovely meal here recently,on New Years day,We were the only people in the place,so it is not easy to judge atmosphere at normal times.The Christmas menu was still available,and we tucked into 3 courses.We had been sent a half-price voucher the day before,so I am not sure if this is why the portions were a bit on the small side? (one Brussels sprout!)Small gripes,awful background sounds from the internet,surroundings very austere,and no herb teas or expresso.That said,they could be serious competition for Terre a Terre,Mildreds and the like when it comes to the food.Not since the wonderful Grapevine in Edgbaston back in the 70/80's has it been possible for veggies to dine so well in Birmingham.

Pros: great imaginative food, lovely location in the arcade, fair prices
Cons: very plain boring interior, need some nice background music, rigid portion control.
Bones
Bones

Great food...but

Posted on 11 / 13 / 2013

Went a couple of weeks after the opening and it wasn't busy on a Wednesday night.
The service and food was fantastic and the location ideal for us as it's close to Snow Hill station for easy travelling to and from Stourbridge.

My vegan meal was excellent, well presented and very filling, my partner went for a vegetarian option which she thought was great.
Unfortunately, my partner's plate was cold, so the food chilled quickly - however the staff are aware of this and are working on installing a hot-pass.
I would think that any new venue will have teething problems (excuse pun).

It's very pricey considering it's actually in Birmingham, the prices are more London..ouch.

We will definitely be going again, but not too often!
Recommended, though :-)

Pros: Great food, Great Service, Big portions
Cons: Expensive, Limited beers available, Quite stark and cold looking
Janey.m
Janey.m

A city centre restaurant at last!

Posted on 09 / 29 / 2013

I was excited to hear about a new vegetarian / vegan restaurant opening in Birmingham this weekend, and booked a table on its second night of opening. I knew there was going to be a large party booked in upstairs, and thought things might not quite be up to scratch on the second night, but the menu looked too good to wait!

We arrived nearly half an hour early, but we were made welcome and given a table straight away. Impressive range of beers and wines which are all vegan, as well as soft drinks.

Service was fantastic. Within 5 minutes of sitting down our order was taken and the prosecco was poured. The starters came promptly, and they were absolutely delicious. Really innovative mixture of flavours. We can also highly recommend the faux fish and chips. And the pudding! Oh, the joy of going to a restaurant and being able to have pudding! Unfortunately I was too full to finish my delicious cinnamony apply crumble, and had to be helped out - next time I'll be taking some Tupperware with me, as I'm now sadly musing what a great breakfast it would have been...

The Opening offer was 3 courses for £20 which is excellent value. Menus etc. are available on the website - for some odd reason the online Birmingham menu labels things 'dairy free' rather than vegan - they are vegan and we were pleased they had been labeled as such on the actual menu; it makes much more sense.

Bistro 1847 have really got it right. We were very impressed and will definitely be back.

Pros: the starters! Make sure you have one!, Fantastic service, Great drinks list

Dear Owner and Manager of Bistro 1847: