Bistro 1847

Its 3rd location, opened Sept 2013. Modern vegetarian British food served with wide range of beers, wines and cocktails. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, British, English, Western, Beer/Wine

First Review by Janey.m
CallumB
CallumB

Delicious, inventive food, but expensive

5 Posted on 04 / 19 / 2014

The restaurant is about one minute away from the Snow Hill Station car park, and so is easy to get to by car.

It's very small, with about six small tables on the ground floor and the same again on the floor above.

Our food arrived quickly, for all three courses (but we were there at 6:30pm, so it wasn't busy), and the staff are friendly.

We had the sweet potato beignet and vegetable tempura to start, both of which were very nice, though the tempura was the better of the two. For mains, all three of us had the battered smoked tofu, which was pretty incredible - the tofu itself was quite dense and extremely flavourful, more like a sausage than tofu, and the surrounding sauces were interesting and complemented the flavour well (however the tofu might be a bit too strong for some - one of our group commented on this). I had a chocolate cake for dessert which was also very nice.

The downside is that the food is expensive, and the portions quite small (however though the tofu main looked like a small portion, it was very filling).

Definitely worth going to.

Pros: Delicious food, Nice atmosphere - informal, Friendly staff
Cons: Expensive, with small portions
Greysocialist
Greysocialist

Stylish and delicious

5 Posted on 03 / 04 / 2014

We enjoyed the £14 two-courses-with-wine lunch. Hard to choose from an imaginative menu. Great service, beautiful presentation - a special experience. And the location in the arcade gives a very nice atmosphere in which the bare board floor and simple table settings are appropriate. London prices? Maybe, but an oasis in Birmingham and it's so central! Just round the corner from New Street/Corporation Street and the Cathedral.

Pros: Location, Imaginative menu, Taste!
valerie graham
valerie graham

About time too!

4 Posted on 01 / 09 / 2014

We had a lovely meal here recently,on New Years day,We were the only people in the place,so it is not easy to judge atmosphere at normal times.The Christmas menu was still available,and we tucked into 3 courses.We had been sent a half-price voucher the day before,so I am not sure if this is why the portions were a bit on the small side? (one Brussels sprout!)Small gripes,awful background sounds from the internet,surroundings very austere,and no herb teas or expresso.That said,they could be serious competition for Terre a Terre,Mildreds and the like when it comes to the food.Not since the wonderful Grapevine in Edgbaston back in the 70/80's has it been possible for veggies to dine so well in Birmingham.

Pros: great imaginative food, lovely location in the arcade, fair prices
Cons: very plain boring interior, need some nice background music, rigid portion control.
Bones
Bones

Great food...but

4 Posted on 11 / 13 / 2013

Went a couple of weeks after the opening and it wasn't busy on a Wednesday night.
The service and food was fantastic and the location ideal for us as it's close to Snow Hill station for easy travelling to and from Stourbridge.

My vegan meal was excellent, well presented and very filling, my partner went for a vegetarian option which she thought was great.
Unfortunately, my partner's plate was cold, so the food chilled quickly - however the staff are aware of this and are working on installing a hot-pass.
I would think that any new venue will have teething problems (excuse pun).

It's very pricey considering it's actually in Birmingham, the prices are more London..ouch.

We will definitely be going again, but not too often!
Recommended, though :-)

Pros: Great food, Great Service, Big portions
Cons: Expensive, Limited beers available, Quite stark and cold looking
Janey.m
Janey.m

A city centre restaurant at last!

5 Posted on 09 / 29 / 2013

I was excited to hear about a new vegetarian / vegan restaurant opening in Birmingham this weekend, and booked a table on its second night of opening. I knew there was going to be a large party booked in upstairs, and thought things might not quite be up to scratch on the second night, but the menu looked too good to wait!

We arrived nearly half an hour early, but we were made welcome and given a table straight away. Impressive range of beers and wines which are all vegan, as well as soft drinks.

Service was fantastic. Within 5 minutes of sitting down our order was taken and the prosecco was poured. The starters came promptly, and they were absolutely delicious. Really innovative mixture of flavours. We can also highly recommend the faux fish and chips. And the pudding! Oh, the joy of going to a restaurant and being able to have pudding! Unfortunately I was too full to finish my delicious cinnamony apply crumble, and had to be helped out - next time I'll be taking some Tupperware with me, as I'm now sadly musing what a great breakfast it would have been...

The Opening offer was 3 courses for £20 which is excellent value. Menus etc. are available on the website - for some odd reason the online Birmingham menu labels things 'dairy free' rather than vegan - they are vegan and we were pleased they had been labeled as such on the actual menu; it makes much more sense.

Bistro 1847 have really got it right. We were very impressed and will definitely be back.

Pros: the starters! Make sure you have one!, Fantastic service, Great drinks list

Dear Owner and Manager of Bistro 1847: