Birchwood Cafe

Serves meat, veg options available. Features local and sustainable food. Has veg options. Popular for breakfast and brunch. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, American, Non-veg

First Review by jekter
sagasandstars
sagasandstars

Fabulous Food!

4 Posted on 09 / 29 / 2013

Vegan options were great! Creative and tasty!
Gluten-free options for people on a restricted diet.
Can't wait to try the breakfast menu!

Pros: Creative, Tasty, Fun Family Place
Cons: Noisy, No reservations
smasheasy
smasheasy

Great Breakfast/Brunch

4 Posted on 09 / 07 / 2012

Had a really excellent breakfast/brunch at Birchwood. I was surprised, actually, at how good their tofu scramble is. I've had some really mediocre and bad tofu scrambles. But Birchwood knows how to do it right. I'd definitely recommend it, if you're in the area or neighborhood. It's a really nice neighborhood cafe, that deserves more acclaim for its good (and veg-friendly) food!

Pros: Neighborhood Cafe, Well-prepared Veg options, Beverage selection +
AMuellerTX
AMuellerTX

Great gluten free, vegetarian options

4 Posted on 09 / 06 / 2012

This cafe has a little bit for everyone. There were meat options available for my husband and vegetarian for me. I had the best gluten free, carrot cake donut there I've ever had in my life. It was a force of will to not buy a dozen of them. They have outdoor and indoor seating and many bike racks for the cyclists.

Pros: Gluten free baked goods, meat and veggie options, Tasty food
cmporter4
cmporter4

Fantastic Meals

4 Posted on 10 / 22 / 2011

I've been here a few times with my husband and EVERY time the meals have been amazing! Today I tried their quinoa pumpkin gruyere waffles and they were seriously to die for. There food is fresh, healthy, and delicious. It's probably necessary to point out that it is clean too. I've been to other places like this in Minneapolis and they are mostly dirty. This place was clean and all the staff is very nice. I too agree that this would do great as a chain. However, I like the local feel of it. If you haven't tried it, give it a shot!

**Deserves 5 stars, but happy cow only allows 4 for non-veg restaurants**

Pros: Many Choices, Delicious meals, Organic/Vegan/Vegetarian/Meat
Cons: None!
happycowgirl
happycowgirl

Everything Done Right

4 Posted on 08 / 24 / 2011

This is the perfect place for a vegan to go with vegetarian or meat-eating friends. There's something for everyone.

This place has it all! Vegan delights on the menu, as much as possible made from organic ingredients, tons of bicycle racks out front to park yours if you brought one or you can rent a bicycle here for $5. Urban garden out front has won awards, they keep a bowl of water out for dogs, they recycle, they compost, this place thinks of everything and does it all.

You go inside, place your order at the counter, pay, they give you a number, you find a table and they bring it out to you.

Wait staff is friendly and insanely efficient. They are busy bees always buzzing around attending to something but doing it in the friendliest manner. One heard me say to my partner "Oh I'd wished we'd found a spot outside" and she hunted out a secret side table for us. The table was full she said to hold on, she was going to get the next open table for us. VIP treatment.

The food is outstanding, soy lattes are fantastic, baked goods are a delight. Located in a wonderful neighborhood. If I lived in the area and was a vegetarian, I would come here all the time. As a vegan, I'd probably only come here occasionally simply because there's not a big enough variety of vegan options on the menu.

The owners should think about turning this into a nation-wide chain. I think it would be successful anywhere.

Cons: need more vegan items on menu, need more vegan baked goods
jekter
jekter

Seriously...I'm the first to review?

4 Posted on 05 / 11 / 2009

Too bad I can't give it 5 cows... it really deserves it. Menu changes weekly. Fantastic food. Supports fair trade and local business.

Pros: excellent food, menu changes often, amazing staff
  • cmporter4 cmporter4

I was thinking the same thing! Only 3 reviews?? This is ridiculous!!

Dear Owner and Manager of Birchwood Cafe: