Serves meat, veg options available. Small cozy modern cafe style. Serves fresh vegetable-based food. Some English is spoken, but bring a language dictionary if you don't speak any Japanese. Address in Japanese: 京都府京都市中京区三条通東洞院西入梅忠町28, M&Iビル2F. Name in Japanese: 自然派レストラン びお亭. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, International, Japanese, Organic, Non-veg
Southwest corner of Sanjo-dori and Higashinotoin-dori, 2nd floor (Karasuma-dori Main St, opposite post office)
Kyoto, Japan
075-2550086

Tue-Fri 11:30am-2:00pm, Tue-Wed 5:00pm-8:30pm, Fri-Sat 5:00pm-8:30pm

First Review by Veganfriend
sathya1709
sathya1709

Nice place

Posted on 02 / 11 / 2016

Went to this restaurant for dinner. They had an english menu and was staff was friendly. Delicious food. Had meat options also. Vegan option was 200 JPY costlier but still the price is comparable to what you pay at other restaurants for dinner. Food portions were sufficient and also delicious.
Chose Japanese dinner set. It was a bit different here that they gave dishes one by one instead of everything in 1 go. But then, I could drink the hot miso soup at the end!

The restaurant is very small and hence, the first time I went, they said not enough place as it can seat around 12 people I think and I had to find another restaurant. But the next day,there was place. Would again visit if in that area.! Seating, i.e., tables were a bit low for my comfort but then, hey, it is Japan and I have to adjust for my height!
-1 for seating and space.

Pros: Location and staff, Food delicious, Moderate prices
Cons: Space cramped, If full, you may have to go elsewhere
Tbms1992
Tbms1992

Wonderful food and staff!

Posted on 01 / 22 / 2016

We really liked the atmosphere here, the vegan option was traditional Japanese style and the staff had no problem understanding what we wanted. It was nice to see plenty of locals enjoying the food. The climb up the narrow staircase was fun and the vegan Florentines they were selling at the time yummy. Wish we were returning to Kyoto this trip so we could eat again!

Kookiez
Kookiez

nice place

Posted on 10 / 22 / 2015

They have lots of veggy options, nice food. The place is very small , serving only 10 to 12 people at a time. So don't come too late :)

Meggie and Ben
Meggie and Ben

Macrobiotic place in Kyoto

Posted on 04 / 24 / 2014

Biotei serves macrobiotic food, which is essentially just vegan + fish. Almost everything on the menu can be made vegan and they have an English menu. The staff spoke English just enough to communicate.

The inside has a small town cafe feel and there were very friendly locals hanging out.

The food was Japanese and fresh, we liked everything we got. I especially loved my homemade ginger ale with fresh ginger! They even had vegan cookies for dessert!

Pros: Mostly vegan, Great atmosphere, Vegan dessert
Cons: Small (not a lot of seats), Slow service
Lenny Travels
Lenny Travels

Inexpensive, good vegetarian food.

Posted on 10 / 19 / 2013

Biotei was my favorite inexpensive vegetarian restaurant in Kyoto. The food was good, with a range of vegan options. By Japanese standards, the servings were ample. The set meals came with a variety of tasty small plates and a main course. As one might expect for Kyoto, there were always interesting tofu options. The miso soup was wonderful, as were the pickled vegetables. I had several great salads there and a memorable soy based vegetable soup. As for price, my wife and I ate there, with drinks, for less than we would pay in a comparable restaurant in New York City! In fact, I wish this restaurant were in New York. It would be up on my list of favorites. The staff was always friendly, and despite my limited Japanese, I had no problem communicating. The place is easy to find if you know where Sanjo-dori and Higashinotoin intersect. Check your map before your visit. It's up a flight of stairs, over a clothing boutique.

Pros: Good Japanese vegetarian food., Friendly staff., Relaxed atmosphere.
Cons: None in my experience
Nancy Cadet
Nancy Cadet

Upstairs-worth the trip

Posted on 10 / 03 / 2013

Biotei has a varied menu with vegetarian set meals and options, and an English language menu. The servings were generous, the waitstaff friendly and the price (for Kyoto ) reasonable. We had dinner there and plan to go back for more.

It's located at the intersection of Sanjo & Higashitoin- dori, on the 2nd floor. There's an imposing brick Post office across the street.

Higashitoin is an interesting street to walk along, with many shops, patisseries, artisans, etc.

Pros: Vegan options, Quick and friendly service , Reasonable prices
Cons: Hard to find without clear directions
Spamelula
Spamelula

Fresh and tasty food

Posted on 07 / 04 / 2012

such fresh and tasty food. very busy and crowded with an informal feel - mostly frequented by locals. great value for money and well worth a visit but was just too hot, steamy and overcrowded - so busy they forgot one part of our order but we enjoyed the food very much and are glad we went!

Pros: fresh tasty food, very good value, great atmosphere
Cons: too hot & busy
cheryl_downes
cheryl_downes

Friendly fast service and a favourite for locals

Posted on 09 / 13 / 2010

Plenty of food available for the hungry vegan. With a few locals dining there I was happy enough. I recommend the spring rolls. Very nice. Pretty easy to find as well which is a plus.

backpasher
backpasher

I love this place

Posted on 12 / 30 / 2008

I visit this place every time I'm in Kyoto. It's a simple, cramped little restaurant at the top of a winding metallic staircase and not terribly easy to find, though if you have a map of the area, you should be able to find it OK - Lonely Planet's Japan/Kyoto guides list this restaurant and it is on one of their Kyoto maps.

The food is really good value - you can get a main for 700-800 yen, though if you want to try a couple of things, you are looking at more like 1500-2000yen.

The fried gluten is scrumtious, as is their tofu steak. Their salads are tasty and the fruit is super fresh.

As another reviewer mentioned, the restaurant isn't 100% vegan/vegetarian. Last time I was there, a lady next to me was eating fish. But it is mostly vegetarian food and the staff have a pretty good understanding of vegetarianism/veganism - which is pretty amazing for Japan!

The ladies who run the place are very warm and welcoming.

There is an organic food shop underneath this restaurant that is worth checking out too.

MicheleFerguson
MicheleFerguson

The most pleasant dining experience in Japan

Posted on 11 / 28 / 2008

Fantastic food - tasty, filling and nutritious. Great variety - lovely set menu. Pleasant service - amended the set menu to ensure I got a dish that didn't have fish in it. Small and cosy so great atmosphere

Pros: So so tasty, Good variety, Pleasant service
Veganfriend
Veganfriend
  • non-vegetarian

Great food!

Posted on 04 / 29 / 2007

I'm not vegetarian but I went here with another non-vegetarian and a vegan and we all loved the food. It's right across from the post office on the second floor and easy to walk to from the subway station. The food was great, the service was good, the prices were good too and the menus were in English.

Pros: Friendy staff, great food, lots of options
Cons: Small room, but not bad

Dear Owner and Manager of Biotei: