Bioforma Restaurant

Part of a large organic chain in Madeira. Inside is an all-veg restaurant. Stocks a wide range of organic packaged food plus vitamins and cosmetics. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Organic, Juice bar, Salad bar, Take-out

First Review by vegantonio
Synsationeel
Synsationeel

Vegetarian - yes... But not too vegan :(

3 Posted on 07 / 07 / 2014

I was in Madeira for my honeymoon and I had just decided to eat vegan. So I was very pleased to find out there was actually ONE vegetarian restaurant (in all of Madeira...). Unfortunately, I don't think the personnel was very kind or helpful, and they didn't speak much English. I had to explain that I only wanted to eat vegan food, which they seemed to find odd.

For the main course, I could have couscous with grilled vegetables. They also put some salad on the plate, which turned out to be a bad choice because it was very boring and without any sauce/dressing. However, the vegetables were very nice.
Then as desert I had tofu cream pie, which was amazing - the tofu was so soft and creamy, you could have fooled anyone to believe it wasn't vegan at all. But it definitely was!

We went here around lunchtime, and you won't believe how many people there were. There weren't many tables, most people had to sit on bar-chairs to eat.

So the restaurant could definitely use some improvement, but I would definitely recommend it for the food, because it's a relief to eat there after visiting all those restaurants that only sell meat or fish...

Pros: Great pastry, Vegan choices available, Affordable
Cons: Unfriendly personnel, Very busy around lunchtime, Few vegan choices
Veganbogey
Veganbogey

Shut on Saturday!

2 Posted on 12 / 20 / 2013

Shut on Saturday 14th December. Gutted! We had walked around ages to find it too. :-(. Ended up going back to our cruise ship to eat.
Another time maybe as Madeira was a beautiful island.

Armorel59
Armorel59

Good little cafe

4 Posted on 11 / 02 / 2013

Went here twice whilst on holiday in October My Portuguese isn't good but I got the message across about dairy free food. Very tasty food, at reasonable prices. Also has a health food area in which I found some items difficult to get hold of in Cornwall. I've filled in the 'cons' but they are statements rather than criticisms. Although opening later would be good for a coffee/tea and cake later in the afternoon. Recommended.

Pros: Good value, tasty food, friendly staff
Cons: no outlook, quite small, closes at 3pm
Vamshidhar Nagala
Vamshidhar Nagala

Bioforma Restaurant

5 Posted on 10 / 19 / 2013

The restaurant is conveniently located at the heart of Funchal. Itbis situated beneath the shop.
The staff are always friendly and welcoming.
The menu changes daily with a variety of dishes to choose from. Fresh juices, savoury snacks were also good. The soup, main courses and deserts varied and I was kept interested in wanting to try them on different occasions.
I look forward to visiting Bioforma restaurant again.

vegantonio
vegantonio

good small vegetarian lunch restaurant

4 Posted on 12 / 02 / 2012

While vegetarians can always find a place, Madeira is not easy for vegans. This small restaurant saved us at lunch time. It has always a vegan otion (and dessert)and the staff was very friendly and flexible. Caterina ("Kathy") the manager will help you and support if you need anything. Happy to have found it ...

Pros: vegan option, good value, friendly staff

Dear Owner and Manager of Bioforma Restaurant: