Bio Solo Organico Restaurant

Buenos Aires vegetarian restaurant. Bio Restaurant Solo Orgánico is located on a tree-lined street off the main drag of town with cottage style interior. Appetizer sampler, carrot spreads with whole grain bread, vegetable lasagna, coffee, and more. A meal costs from 50+ pesos (lunch). Menu also in English. A 10-minute walk from Palmero station. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Argentinian, Western
Humboldt 2192, Palermo Viejo (corner of Guatemala)
Buenos Aires, Argentina

AshleyLorden
AshleyLorden

Intimate all-organic and vegetarian

Posted on 10 / 18 / 2014

Bio is a small and welcoming restaurant with room for maybe 30 inside and several tables outside on the sidewalk if the weather is nice. It's all-organic and all-vegetarian, they do have dairy cheese and ice cream but also have a few dishes with vegan cheese and ice cream alternatives. About 60-70% of the whole menu is or can be made vegan so there are plenty of choices. They also have about 10 raw dishes so if you're looking for high-quality food in Buenos Aires, this is an excellent resource. In addition to their main purpose as a restaurant, they also have some organic food products for sale as well as cooking classes and do catering. The menu is in Spanish and English and I believe some of the staff speak English.

It is a hard area to park on the street in, they do offer validation for one hour at one parking lot so if you're planning to pay for parking check which lot first. They accept reservations and I recommend calling ahead if going at a popular time like weekend dinner as the place is fairly small and does fill up.

In the evening, they light candles and it's a fun environment; I've seen a number of birthday dinners there. When you're seated, they'll bring you bread and a (vegan) spread complimentary starter. I recommend the rice empanadas which get a tiny bit crunchy and were excellent -- the filling varies but I believe is always vegan. In my experience all the dishes are good and filling but a few seem to be rather salty so ask if you're sensitive to that. Be sure to save room for dessert! They also have a limited wine and beer selection and even a few vodka drinks, as well as natural fruit juices. I haven't been for breakfast or lunch but they do have offerings for all times of day.

Recommended!!

Pros: Healthy, Lots of choices, Positive environment
Cons: Not so easy to get there/park, Might require reservation
larissarnunes
larissarnunes

Wonderful surprise in the city of parrillas!

Posted on 07 / 12 / 2014

This is a must go place if you are vegetarian/vegan and in Buenos Aires! Amazing food, lots of options, big plates, good prices! Few vegan options, but they are flexible with modificiations, and willing to help you! The desserts are simply amazing!!!! Wonderful red berries icecream, unbelievable! I would definitely go there next time we are in Buenos Aires!

Pros: Great location, Amazing food, Wonderful desserts
Cons: Not many vegan options, Some itens on the menu not avaliable
Maddita
Maddita

Beautiful place!

Posted on 02 / 01 / 2014

The place looks beautiful, the service is awesome, the atmosphere is comfortable, tasty food, creative and healthy dishes with beautiful presentation.

The cooks put too much attention on their stunning looking dishes, but they forget that the food is suppose to be eaten and not just looked at. My boyfriend and I struggled trying to eat the food - though it tasted really good, it was really difficult to cut and eat because of its fancy decor, so I made a mess of my plate.

We ordered the Gluten Free Vegan Pizza - The crust was so hard that not even a steak knife could puncture it.
Also the Raw Temaki, which was difficult to eat without destroying the whole thing.

The ginger lemonade was lovely!

Pros: Good atmosphere, Excellent service, Creative and tasty menus
Cons: Difficult to eat without making a mess

DIANE240378
DIANE240378

tasteless burger

Posted on 08 / 18 / 2013

I was here in may & was disappointed with burger, not sure if it was lentil or quinoa but it was tasteless. I was disappointed as review were great. Could do with more spice or flavour. Nice restaurant&staff

Pros: healthy food, vegan friendly, nice staff
Cons: needs more flavour
veglife00
veglife00

excellent food in a great neighborhood

Posted on 06 / 03 / 2013

After a week in Argentina trying to find something vegan to eat (which basically meant tomato sauce over pasta) I was thrilled with Bio. They do really interesting things with spices and with vegan protein substitutes (my seitan had a lovely, soft texture I hadn't experienced before). The service was excellent also and the full table of people I was with (mostly meat eaters) raved about the restaurant as well. I'm not surprised that Bio offers cooking classes and that people take them because the food clearly benefits from knowing experimentation.

Pros: excellent food, lovely atmosphere, in the great neighborhood of Palermo
Cons: none!
ClareFriedrich
ClareFriedrich

Really good food

Posted on 05 / 15 / 2013

Not many places like this in Buenos Aires... very healthy, menu changes often. Ginger lemonade is amazing! The place is really cute too. Only complaint is that the service is sometimes a bit slow.

Pros: Excellent Food, Lots of variety, Different flavors for Argentines
Cons: Slow
EzzieGriffin
EzzieGriffin

great food & even better service!

Posted on 02 / 18 / 2013

I had the quinoa and sweet potato starter which could have easily fed two or done as a main. Lovely crisp salad to compliment. My friend had the millet schnitzel with wok style veggies, also a good size and delicious. These were eased down with some tasty chai and a mixed juice. Fresh! We couldn't resist the raw chocolate cake, shared for desert, scrumptious! The location was lovely, we sat outside on the street and the service was attentive and efficient. The lovely waiter even found googled the address of the closet homeopathic store so I could get some things. Very much went the extra mile ;)

e37e
e37e

They moved right in front

Posted on 11 / 13 / 2012

I am leaving below the comment I did a while ago. I used to love this place. They now moved, right in front and when we went there to eat the kitchen staff was different, the place was not ready at all and the prices had gone way up! The food was ok, but not at all for what we were charged. First get your place ready, then make sure your new chef is awesome and theeeen raise the prices! Maybe it has improved but I am not taking the chance to go there again.

We had a great dinner and lovely time. The place is nice, the people that work there were very nice... and the food was AMAZING. It has lots of vegan options and they are marked with a little leaf on the menu (so you don't have to ask 20 times if something has animal derived ingredients), there are options for celiacs (marked on the menu too) and MANY RAW OPTIONS! The Raw Soup was specially powerful. Yummy juices. And you can buy cookies, sweets, bread, tea, etc. Everything's organic.
Updated from previous review on Sunday July 24, 2011

Pros: Vegan-Celiac-Raw options
Cons: EXPENSIVE
floconnor
floconnor

Great place for vegans

Posted on 04 / 29 / 2012

Great place for vegans, including some raw food. Recommended!

Pros: Friendly staff, Food taste, Enviroment
mamaedefofa
mamaedefofa
  • non-vegetarian

Good food after a few days bad

Posted on 03 / 11 / 2012

A pleasant surprise, lives up to its website and the Happy Cow description. Nice staff, a great local crowd, and the food was basic and good. Worth the trip up from Retiro or wherever if you want to give you body a much needed rest from the classic BA restaurant fare. My daughter slept in the shade while we ate.

Pros: Food w good portions, tree lined location, interesting locals
christytoes
christytoes

Awesome!

Posted on 03 / 04 / 2012

Even though I had tons of great dining experiences during my trip to Buenos Aires, this was the best. The space is beautiful and the staff were super friendly. I loved the raw soup and chocolate cake. The cooks in back were talking to us too and let us taste their mate. We got delicious bread with sunflower seed spread for the table and a taste of their home made lemonade at no charge. I would love to go back here.

Pros: Service, Beautiful Space, Incredible food
Cons: Somewhat questionable location
aifos
aifos

Lovely place

Posted on 02 / 23 / 2012

This is the first vegetarian restaurant I've been in BA.
The food is great with many vegan options. Big portions and nice presentation.
Amazing homemade bread and fun juices.

Pros: many vegan options, very nice place, organic
Cons: a bit expensive
Jenny Lemons
Jenny Lemons

Worth a try!

Posted on 02 / 16 / 2012

First of all, location gets no stars although because it's in Palermo Hollywood, you have to walk all the way down Juan b justo to get there and that's a very very unsafe walk. Take a cab.
That being said, it's really good! Very creative salads and we also tried the seitan green curry. Recommended.
They also have a nice selection of teas and creative drinks. Great vibe too.

Pros: Very unique, Inside and outside dining
Cons: Location
Stevie
Stevie

Bio, Buenos Aires

Posted on 02 / 04 / 2012

I had dinner here last night. It claims to be all organic. The menu has vegan items clearly marked. Most of the items are listed on the menu in English as well as in Spanish. This helps as the lady who served me doesn't speak English and my Spanish still has a long way to improve.

The starter I had was pumpkin soup. It was pleasant enough but there's a lot of great pumpkin soup in the world and this wasn't in the top league. The main course I had was a seitan curry. It was a little bland but being honest it was probably a poor choice on my part as I don't think Ive ever had a decent curry in a non Indian or Thai resturant.

Both these together came to 87 pesos which to me feels pricey and didn't seem like good value.

Pros: Vegan items marked on the menu
Cons: Pricey
Jenni Foxx
Jenni Foxx

PASS!

Posted on 08 / 06 / 2011

We went to Bio 5 times and the food was decent (until last time) but the service was almost always horrendous! Totally unacceptable for what they are charging to eat there! The only time we got decent service, an older woman (assumedly the owner) yelled orders at the kitchen from across the entire dining room. The ginger lemonade is generally quite good, although the quality & ginger content varies daily. The citrus vinaigrette salad dressing WAS delicious, but last time they replaced it with some atrocity that tasted like sweatsocks! I think they accidentally switched it w/ the ceasar dressing from the salad special of they day (as parmesan often smells like feet to me), but the server insisted it was the citrus dressing, so I now do NOT recommend it. My soup was a flavorless puree reminiscent of baby food. The main courses provide ample servings of vegan protein (i.e. mustard tofu, seitan asado) and are well prepared and nicely plated, but beware: the servers don't seem to understand the difference between vegan & vegetarian (and yes, we told them in Spanish)!! There are icons indicating that plates can be made vegan, but twice we had to communicate directly with the chef in order to get the proper modifications. I really wanted to like Bio, especially for lack of better options (insofar as decent sized servings of vegan protein go) but after the last time, we will not go back. Oh, did I also mention it's expensive?? We spent $37USD on my meal alone!

Pros: vegan protein, nice plating, decent food
Cons: terrible service, expensive, quality varies daily
yourfacehxc
yourfacehxc

Meh

Posted on 04 / 30 / 2011

First and foremost, I was DYING to eat at a tip top veg spot here in BA because I hadn't consumed a proper meal in two weeks and had been looking forward to Bio ever since I arrived. That being said, our meal was good but by no means exceptional. I started with the raw soup which was enjoyable but rather modest in size considering the price (21 pesos, $5USD). The ginger juice is rather peculiar as it reminded me quite a bit of gatorade... imagine a mildly gingery gatorade.. that's what it tasted like. Nothing terribly amazing and once again, pricey (30 pesos, $7.50USD). My main course was the quinoa risotto which had a rather nice flavor but there simply wasn't much to it nor was it inexpensive (44 pesos, $11USD). Some friends of mine tried the miso soup and said it was excellent. They also had the seitan curry which seemed to impress (keep in mind they're all meat eaters who had never visited a veg restaurant before thus held low expectations) however I've had much more complex and creative dishes. Again, it was by no means bad, it just wasn't memorable. We finished the evening with a brownie as well as some ginger ice cream. While the ice cream was lovely, the brownie was dry and flavorless not to mention a bit pricey. It's hard to imagine mucking up such a straight forward dessert. To be frank, I've had far more impressive meals at far less distinguished restaurants in both the states as well as Europe and they cost less this. Each meal was 100 pesos, or $25USD.

The service was hardly attentive nor was anyone terribly warm to us. When the bill came at the end they presented us with the wrong one, then overcharged us on the correct one. Also please note that only about half the menu is in English making it difficult to distinguish what is what. All in all I left disappointed and would not return. If it weren't so pricey I would be more inclined to let it slide but they seem to run on a platform of upscale vegetarian dining. This is hardly the case. While the presentation of the dishes was flattering, appearances are rather deceiving at Bio. Pass.

Three stars for food, two stars for everything else.

Pros: soups, neighborhood
Cons: expensive & small portions, forgettable food, poor service
estefinparis
estefinparis

Worth a visit

Posted on 03 / 02 / 2011

Very friendly staff and good food at this restaurant with a great location in Palermo. We had two seitan-based dishes and they were both good and very nicely presented. Vegan-friendly as everything is clearly marked in the menu. Certainly worth a visit.

nspanee
nspanee

Bio sweet place in a green corner

Posted on 01 / 22 / 2011

The Three of us went there on our First night in ba. Had a soup, empanadas and a pizza of which the Base was made of Rice. All 3 very delicious. For the Main we had the Mustard tofu and seitan with veggies. All good too.
Friendly servers and most of the things on the menu are available vegan too if they are not already. As for dessert we had tort a fria raw. The base was made of almonds and there was raspberry sauce with it. Actually the boys loved it, as for me I didn't like it too much because there was shredded lime or orange peel in the base, which was pretty strong in flavour. Apart from that it was good.
Good atmosphere, comfy place, prices I guess are standard for organic restaurant in this area.

• nspanee nspanee

went back again. daily soup seems to be gazpacho everytime. which i dont like but the miso is delicious. all time classic. i'm a soup lover, i commit. they have very delicious raspberry and ginger drink in a jar! go for it. had the week's special as main. try the ricepizza, love it, will try to make it at home. my buenos aires favourite!

supervegan
supervegan

Best place for a vegan in Buenos Aires!

Posted on 01 / 18 / 2011

Went here twice for dinner. The first time was fantastic. My friend ordered the curry fresco seitan, which was amazing. I got the seitan asado, which was not what I though it would be. It was good, but it was just a few thin slices of seitan with a ridiculous amount of squash. The dish needed something else, as I found myself still hungry yet tired of eating the delicious squash by the end. The second time, I decided to order the curry fresco seitan my friend had previously ordered. Unfortunately, it arrived rather hastily prepared and was nothing like the same dish we had received a week prior. Still, I would go back to Bio in a heartbeat because they're so vegan-friendly. It is good, not great.

Pros: vegan-friendly
Cons: quality varies
missyjane
missyjane

friendly staff & decor

Posted on 11 / 20 / 2010

We're spoiled coming from NYC, so keep that in mind when reading this review. The atmosphere was friendly, as was the English-speaking staff, but we found the food to be hit or miss. The carrot spread on brown bread is tasty, as were the fresh juices, and the entrees (curry seitan and spicy seitan) were quite edible, but the appetizers and dessert were lacking. The bruschetta could've had more flavor, the empanada was too salty, while the brownie dessert with rasperries had a slightly bitter taste. I bet there are other apps and desserts that are better. I'd be willing to come back and try other apps and desserts, especially given the limited options in this carno-centric culture.

Pros: friendly staff, nice decor , good entrees
Cons: poor appetizers, blah dessert, tiny bathroom
chamilton
chamilton

Good Resto

Posted on 07 / 01 / 2010

Small place in Palermo. I had the opportunity to share a good dinner with a friend.

Pros: nice environment, friendly staff, healthy food
Cons: small place, $$$
jillian
jillian

decent food, large portions, nice atmosphere

Posted on 04 / 19 / 2010

This is a really cute cafe a few blocks from the best place to go at night in BA. The food was okay, similar to what you might find at an average organic veggie place in a US city. I had the seitan picante con plantanos (spicy seitan with plantains (though they weren't plantains, but sweet potatoes)). The seitan was prepared in a savory brown sauce and the sweet potatoes were steamed (I think) and served with sesame seeds. Skip the cocao shake, unless you eat honey. Go for the brownie. It's dry, but pretty delicious (and huge!).

Not really "gourmet," but a decent place to eat in a city where most menus don't have many vegan options.

Pros: location, atmosphere, clearly marked vegan items
Cons: average food, ambivalent staff
veganbackpacker
veganbackpacker

Nice ambiance, good food, okay prices

Posted on 01 / 18 / 2010

In January 2009, I ate here with a group of friends and we all had a good experience. Our waitress spoke great English and was very nice. When we first sat down, she brought us ginger lemonade shots and homemade bread with carrot dip.

We ordered the seitan curry and rice balls, Fungi Bahia (variety of fresh and dried mushrooms prepared in a wok, with chilies, coconut milk and jasmine rice) and a quiona salad. The restaurant was almost full and our meals came out of the kitchen much faster than we expected (15 minutes or less). We were all happy with the food.

The menu is mostly in Spanish with some items described in English. There didn't appear to be a lot of vegan dishes but the waitress explained most items are prepared when ordered and they always try to accommodate vegans.

Each cost 35 pesos and there was a 6 pesos seating fee for per person. The seating fee is something were not used to as Canadians and we found that kind of annoying.

You may end up paying a bit more here than you will at some other veggie restaurants in BA but the ambiance is nice and the food is good. It is a good restaurant for a date night.

On Monday nights, they have a special menu and you have to make reservations in advance.

Pros: good food, nice ambiance, english menu
Cons: 6 peso seating fee, expensive for BA veggie food
Geronimo
Geronimo

Good but overpriced

Posted on 01 / 16 / 2010

Good food, innovative menu but way overpriced...

stokedonspokes
stokedonspokes

vegan stroganoff!

Posted on 09 / 06 / 2009

the seitan stroganoff and other picante seitan dish were amazing! looks like lots of good options for vegans in a very meat-centric country. we got a bottle of the Quatro Gordo Vacas wine which was terrible. not sure about the other vinos.

Pros: great seitan, excellent other food
Cons: basic wine not good
luvs2travel
luvs2travel

Excellent gourmet vegetarian restaurant

Posted on 03 / 11 / 2009

We ate here twice on a recent trip to Buenos Aires back in October, 2008. It was located on the other side of town from where we were staying, but worth the effort to return to for lunch. Their food is more like gourmet vegetarian. I had quinoa (I think it was with pumpkin and goat cheese) here for the first time ever and thoroughly enjoyed it. This wasn't a cheap restaurant, but a good vegetarian restaurant is hard to find in meat-loving Buenos Aires.

Pros: high quality food, gourmet, organic
Cons: not cheap
joanna
joanna

Seriously over-hyped

Posted on 12 / 26 / 2008

There's lots of vegetarian food in Buenos Aires: pizza and pasta abound. My party of five headed for Bio -- a trek from our Centro digs -- hoping for a break from the usual fare.

Where do I begin? The desultory greeting was offputting, but not a deal killer. Since only one of us speaks Spanish, the bilingual menu was a plus. The ginger lemonade and olive tapenade, both nice.

A number of items on the menu were not available. Okay. We ordered, and the wait began. After some time, one dinner arrived. About five minutes later, the two tofu dinners showed up. I normally would not patronize a restaurant that brought everyone's food at a different time, but what happened next was even more outrageous: the server came over and asked the other two members of our party what they had ordered! As you can imagine, we had rather a long wait before all the dishes arrived.

The portions are small, and the hungrier members of our group were not thrilled about that. The much-praised tofu was ridiculously bland and we had to ask for salt (something I normally don't do). The salt cellar was cute but filled with a lot of unidentified crud as well as salt.

I don't like having serving people hover over me, but service was casual to the point that we felt ignored. We had to ask to have water refilled, and then were charged for four bottled waters we had neither ordered nor received.

The bill worked out to about $15/person U.S. -- not bad for a meal at home, but high for Buenos Aires. And I'd give the food a B-. The presentation is lovely, but it looks a lot better than it tastes.

On our way down Humboldt after dinner, we passed a couple of much livelier restaurants around the 2300 block. As we walked back to Santa Fe, we could not help but wish we'd chosen one of them instead of Bio.

Pros: lemon ginger drink, bilingual menu, variety of choices
Cons: poor service, bland food, high prices
CherylLynne
CherylLynne

best we went to

Posted on 10 / 31 / 2008

This was the best veg restaurant we went to in Buenos Aires. The staff spoke some English and the menu was in English and Spanish. It was easy to tell what was vegan.

Pros: great food, nice enviromnet, friendly staff
Bill_hog
Bill_hog

Very good meal

Posted on 09 / 09 / 2008

Very creative vegetarian cooking. I had a hearty pumpkin soup, a tofu schnitzel, a pear juice, and a desert (can't remember, it was a while ago) with coffee. Came to about 40 pesos.

Was packed when I was there.

In a good area to explore many boutique shops.

Pros: creativity, friendly
Cons: busy
Cassadamius
Cassadamius

Good spot, good food

Posted on 08 / 12 / 2008

The food here is good. I had a tofu dish and it was a good option. The majority of the people in the restaurant were speaking English and they do have menus in English. Waitress was friendly. You'll have to knock on the door to get into the place (at least when I was there) as they lock them up - this is the case with many restaurants in B.A.

Pros: healthy, friendly staff
  • Cassadamius Cassadamius

Hi Jeffrey,
    The locking of the doors in restaurants in Buenos Aires is really common. I mean, you can walk into a Burger King (which obviously hopefully you don't do) no problems, but the restaurants in Palermo definitely threw me for a loop when I first came to them and found the door locked. Just be patient. And, yes, I'm guessing it's for security purposes.

• Jeffrey Jeffrey

Hi Cassadamius, I liked your review of this restaurant. That is so weird about them locking the door. What is that all about? Scared of getting robbed?

jacksonbliss
jacksonbliss

Good But Pricey

Posted on 07 / 19 / 2008

My girlfriend and I went here just last night. We ordered Curry Seitan, risotto with goat cheese, and flan. The seitan was pretty good, though there wasn't enough to satisfy. And the vegetables were copious and delicately spiced, something I appreciated. The risotto was by the far the best thing we ate: its flavor was strong and complex. Unfortunately, it wasn't until halfway through that we realized there was goat cheese in it. The flan was fantastic: filled with coconut flakes and accompanied with dulce de leche. All things considered: we liked the food but our it was too pricey for our tastes. Our bill included a 8 peso fee for table service, which is complete [censored], by the way. But if you're just visiting for a week or so, $35 for a dinner for 2 isn't terrible.

Pros: Flan, Seitan Curry, Friendly Waitress
Cons: Too much cheese, Fees for "table service"
diehard
diehard

So-So Bio

Posted on 03 / 26 / 2008

While it was great to find a vegetarian restaurant in BA, we were a bit disappointed with the food. Empanadas were dry and tastless, and our main dishes were adequate but uninspiring. Atmosphere is a bit dreary.

Pros: Healthy food, good selection
Cons: Food quality
kimmykokonut
kimmykokonut

Good Menu Options

Posted on 03 / 01 / 2008

They have a varied menu, from whole wheat empanadas to pizzas to asian dishes to burritos. I ordered the hamburger, which was a strange presentation (no bun, just a burger with cheese on top, a dollop of pureed squash and a handful of romaine leaves with a tasteless dressing). The tofu empanada was delicious, the Bio Juice was OK (orange juice with too much sugar and a nice touch of ginger). We also had the burrito which came with a nice spicy sauce. I'd return to try more off the menu, but it was a little pricey (mains $20 AR) but the staff is nice and the atmosphere is great.

Pros: protein, variety, quiet
Cons: expensive, location

Nice place

Posted on 09 / 05 / 2007

Bio is a good option in carnivore Buenos Aires. The food was good not excellent, with entrees tasty but not very balanced (for a veggie place... I felt I was not getting enough veggies)the service attentive. A good place to go with friends.

Not bad

Posted on 06 / 25 / 2007

Bio was a nice reprieve in meaty B.A. I had the seitan curry, which was delicious. The atmosphre is nice and the service is laid back.

Pros: atmosphere, rpice
Cons: food only so-so
kympatterson
kympatterson

Nice restaurant in Palermo Hollywood

Posted on 03 / 28 / 2007

This is a nice vege restuarant with good wholesome food and service, which is a relief to find in Buenos Aires. The atmosphere is homey and comfortable. It is easy to access from Palermo station (about 10mins walk) and is located in the popular night area of Palermo Hollywood. A meal costs about 35 pesos. The menu is also in English.

Pros: Wholesome food, Friendly service
button
button

Great!

Posted on 11 / 25 / 2006

Delicious food, great menu, lot's of vegan options. Almost all the dishes can be made vegan. They have fresh juice. Cute cottage style decor, and outdoor seating too. Staff was very good and spoke english. They have english menus as well. (Cross street is Costa Rica)

Pros: Plenty of vegan options, Great atmpsphere, Tasty food

Dear Owner and Manager of Bio Solo Organico Restaurant: