Bio Carioca

Offers flavorful menus with vegetarian, vegan, and gluten free choices. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Organic, Macrobiotic, Juice bar, Salad bar, Beer/Wine, Delivery
Rua Xavier da Silveira, 28 (Copacabana)
Rio De Janeiro, Brazil 22060010

Vegtravel4
Vegtravel4

Vegan lunch in Copa

4 Posted on 12 / 10 / 2013

If you're staying in Copa and are vegan, you'll be so pleased you found this place. We went our first day and enjoyed a nice lunch. It's hard to find a spot offering vegan food in Copacabana, and this place is cute to boot! It reminded me of some of the vegan cafés in LA (like a more Brazilian Real Food Daily). They do have cheese, so be sure to select the (clearly marked!) vegan items only. Thank goodness for the English menu.

We sampled the quiche, yakisoba, juice, and spring rolls, and were happy with the price and taste. Highly recommend the juice and any of the Asian-inspired dishes. Not the greatest vegan food I've ever had, but good for this neighborhood.

If you're staying in Copa, I also recommend Vezpa Pizza (they have a vegan pizza on the menu, plus delivery).

Pros: Asian-inspired entrees, English menu, Near Copacabana
Cons: A little bland, No faux cheese
jencompgeek
jencompgeek

Excellent small plates

5 Posted on 12 / 10 / 2013

This place was a life-saver during our recent stay in Copacabana Beach. It was pretty much the only vegan place nearby. From what I recall, at least half the menu was vegan (and clearly marked as such). We went there for lunch and ordered a number of small plates off the daily lunch menu. The tofu and hearts-of-palm quiche was unbelievably good. The staff were friendly despite the language barrier (the waiter was unbelievably patient with all my menu pointing). I think we ended up getting 4 different things plus a fantastic banana juice and the bill was still extremely reasonable. I would definitely eat here again.

Pros: varied daily menu, vegan, price
YahelSherman
YahelSherman

• raw

cool place !

5 Posted on 11 / 11 / 2013

The Vegan dish , Bifum ( tiny Rice nudles) with Shitaki Mushroom was great ! A bit salty but still good .
Very nice music & relax atmosphere to eat .

Zambezikid
Zambezikid

Great place

4 Posted on 07 / 23 / 2013

A great veggie restaurant in Copacabana ... apparently the only one! I spoke to the owner and she tells me that plans are afoot to open the place for evening meals soon, in addition to the current noon til 6 pm arrangement.

Staff were very helpful and can speak English... although they do have an English version of their menu too. All food is categorised gluten-free/vegan/veggie. There is a daily menu of hot plates in the counter plus a la carte menu. The quality of the food is very good and the dishes are quite imaginitive; I particularly liked the quiches - ununusual for a vegan dish. Also enjoyed the many desserts that they make.

Price is pretty reasonable - RL 7-10 for a dish.

I liked this place so much, I ate here most days I was in Rio

Pros: Helpful staff, Wide choice of vegan foods, Great desserts
Ms. Bella
Ms. Bella

Great find

5 Posted on 06 / 15 / 2013

Brazilian dishes, vegan style. What a relief to find a small culinary delight for the vegan preferred diner. I followed the suggestions and other reviews to this little place and was happy to eat very well. The dish I chose was a "Moqueca de caju" a traditional northeast dish with surprising and savory vegan modifications. I added accompaniments of rice and farofa to round out the meal and had two freshly juiced drinks. The menu is varied and full and I look forward to coming here again. The servers and owners were very friendly and overall the experience was very fulfilling and delicious. Quiet atmosphere and I ate downstairs while watching a soccer match on a wide screen TV.

Pros: great menu, varied items, quiet, pleasant, vegan!
Cons: really could not find cons here
eatinggreen
eatinggreen

A convenient organic lunch option

3 Posted on 01 / 03 / 2013

We weren't blown away by this place but it was ok all the same. The ambience is lovely - it's really nicely done out in natural woods with some modern touches... feels very new and trendy. The menu is not huge but sufficient nonetheless. Most of the best options are listed on the daily specials list, so the experience will be different depending what day of the week you visit. We ended up with quite a lot of proteins and not so many veges. The juices were not the super vege concoctions we prefer either, instead being mostly fruit based - some interesting and unique combinations though, including the use of herbs and spices in them.

The food arrives at the table very quickly after being ordered, so they must be pre-made..obviously fresh would be better, as you don't get that buzz you get from freshly prepared meals. The taste profiles are also not quite up there with the best - we suspect the chefs are not all that accomplished. They are trying though and the vibe is positive and upbeat, so kudos to them.

No English is spoken but they have an English version of the menu. Ordering involves finding the Portugese equivalent and pointing to it.

All in all, not a place we will be running back to, but if we are in the area and hungry, we will probably try our luck a second time. It's certainly doable.
Updated from previous review on Thursday January 03, 2013

Pros: organic, nice interior, great location
Cons: mostly pre-made, not heaps of veges, flavours could be improved a bit
RichardPoynter
RichardPoynter

Good, inexpensive, food and a helpful English Menu

4 Posted on 12 / 02 / 2012

Rio is not the easiest city for vegetarians, particularly those who do not speak Portuguese. This basic restaurant - half a block back from Copacabana Beach and just down the road from the Contaglo Metro Station - is therefore a real find.

Earlier reviewers have complained of the absence of an English menu but they have now introduced one and the dishes are clearly marked as vegetarian/vegan etc. We went four times and there was someone there who spoke good, idiomatic, English on two of them. On other occasions, it is easy to order by pointing to what you want on the English menu. The waiter then reads the corresponding numbered entry on the Portuguese version.

The food was good, the portions large and the price reasonable: far more so than anywhere else we ate at in the Copacabana area.

I only wish it had been open during the evening.

emilc
emilc

Great little restaurant near Copacabana beach

5 Posted on 07 / 11 / 2012

As most of the other reviewers stated, this is a family-owned restaurant that serves nutritious meals. The owner and her oldest son speak English - feel free to ask for an English speaker when you walk in. While they do have menus (Portuguese only), what we found easier is to walk up to the refrigerated glass counter, see what is available, and ask. An alternative is to grab a table, and order from the menu. They had many yummy options, some vegetarian, some vegan, including raw "burgers", a sweet potato soup, salads, quiches, etc. They also have the quintessential Brazilian fresh-squeezed juices. Everything tasted fresh and delicious.
The food is priced fairly reasonably. They take credit cards.

Pros: Delicious food
rosie
rosie

Great place for lunch

5 Posted on 07 / 11 / 2012

Really near to the beach and easy to find. No one spoke English when I was there but the menu was helpfully colour coded for vegan, gluten free etc. Was a real treat to have some really tasty and well prepared food, it was much more gourmet food than anything else I tried in Rio and reasonably priced. i had a vegan heart of palm quiche which was really tasty. Pity it isn't open in the evenings.

Pros: good food, good value
Cons: only open for lunch, no english spoken
thesafetyqueen
thesafetyqueen

Will be back!

4 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2012

Everything on the menu looked good so I hope I can come back to try more! The owner was very helpful in helping us select what to order.
It's a plus that the kitchen is open - you can see everything being prepared.

Pros: Plenty of information available, Clean, Healthy
green2012
green2012

A gem in Copacabana

5 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2012

This is a great vegetarian place for lunches. Well recommended. Variety of tasty organic home-made options for vegans and vegetarians. Clean and pleasant. Friendly owner who takes pride in the food they serve. She spoke good English, describing each of the menu items in good detail. We have been there a few times and and will certainly go back there on our next visit to Rio.

Pros: Excellent food, Clean and pleasant environment, Friendly staff
Cons: Open till 6pm only
Gabeuk
Gabeuk

Highly Recommended

5 Posted on 06 / 15 / 2012

I was in Rio for a few days working. Really good food here, with basic fare like brown rice and beans done right. Lots of more sophisticated stuff too. A three course meal with juice (very good juices, btw) is about 30-odd Real, or £7-10. This is cheaper than a lot of restuarants in the Copacabana area, which is expensive by Rio standards.

Two things to note:

1) it's only open during the day, not at night, which is shame as it would be great for an evening meal.

2) some of the food is quite salty -- the noodles, for example.

Very friendly people and good food. Highly recommended.

pradipd
pradipd

One of the best meals in Brazil

4 Posted on 12 / 04 / 2011

On the last day of our 4 day trip to Rio, we went to this lovely restaurant in Copacabana. At first it was a bit intimidating because it was not the typical buffet restaurant that we had experienced all over Brazil. One of the wait staff gave us a menu and tried to explain in Portuguese what it all had. There were various dishes displayed in the show case each identified with a name. We had quickly confirmed with the waiter (through the piece of papaer in local language I always carry) that everything was vegetarian. But bten I saw a sign saying some items may have ova (eggs). Just then, a beautiful young woman walks up to us and starts speaking in English. At first we thought she worked there, then realized she was a customer who had just finished her meal and seeing our language problem , spent the next 15 minutes explaining everything in English.

Bottom line..... after numerous buffet meals all over Brazil, we were glad to have an ala carte meal that almost seemed like fine dining! Between the 2 of us, we tried 6 different items, and each was flavorful and reasonably priced. This was one of the best meals during our 2 weeks in Brazil.

Pros: Location, Variety, Flavor
Cons: Language
jcjames11
jcjames11

Great wholesome lunch

5 Posted on 10 / 13 / 2011

Easy to find just couple of blocks down from a Metro. No English Menu, shame juices were in English. We had lentil soup and a salad. Should have gone to the counter and pointed because the quiches looked amazing. Juices good. Seemed good value.It was nice and busy.

Pros: healthy cuisine, friendly staff, would recomend

Dear Owner and Manager of Bio Carioca: