Edinburgh's first fully licensed Gujarati/East African fusion restaurant and cookery school, opened in Oct 2013 by the current owner and chef, Bindiya, who took over the former location of Annapurna restaurant. Its menu features a selection of street food and small plates. Vegans to specify and staff will assist you with choices. Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto, Indian, Beer/Wine, Take-out
44-45 St. Patrick's Square
Edinburgh, Scotland EH8 9HT
0131-6621807

Open Tue 5-10pm, Wed-Sun 11:30-2pm, 5-10pm.

First Review by christopherjboyce
tm1776
tm1776

Very Poor Set Menu

2 Posted on 08 / 17 / 2014

We got the set menu. Paid £20 for poor service (took an hour and a half to get mains) and mediocre food. The mains consisted of a small bowls of food. One was fried onion/cabbage. One had a single peice of cold pakora inside it. One was a bowl of sweet corn and kidney beans that was utterly bland and frankly a lazy attempt of giving authentic and tasty indian cuisine. There was also a bowl of soup that was the tastiest thing they provided. I advise to keep away from this place. Especially if its a set menu and around the fringe because to me they are exploiting their guests with high prices and cheap grub. Not a good experience.

Pros: Nice starters
Cons: bad service, bland food
craigmc
craigmc

Wow

5 Posted on 06 / 20 / 2014

As a man who loves indian food, I have to say I was delighted with Bindi and a new slant on a loved format.
A lage selection of street food/snacks I came across some new things and luckily Bindiya was on hand to show me how to eat them, and appreciate some new flavours. As well as the street food, a good value thali is available, and this with one other item is more than enough food.
Bursting with fresh ingredients, Bindiya allowed me a viewing of the kitchen area and where her cooking classes will take place. The menu is egg free, and she insisted she can cater widely for both vegans and gluten free dishes.
Her cooking classes should start in January and I look forward to taking part in one.

I was back again last week, so close to giving Bindi 5*. i think it might be my thoughts rather than Bindi. We shared the Bombay chowpatty taster, flying saucer sandwich(i mean, what a great name for a dish) and the garlic mogo. everything was grea.
Third visit and my thali was different for the third time, shared some other dishes and loving. There was some heat in the dishes, and an oomph of coriander. Had to upgrade my review, great food, great service.

Having just had lunch I can't believe its getting better. The menu has been updated and vegan and gf are very visible now.

Pros: fresh and tasty, good value, great service.
imogenmichel
imogenmichel

A fantastic night out! Highly recommended :)

5 Posted on 03 / 27 / 2014

I came here tonight for dinner with the Edinburgh Vegan/Vegetarian Meetup, and it was just wonderful! The food was excellent quality and the owner couldn't have been more helpful with explaining the vegan options. We had some vegan taster plates as well as thali, which was delicious and extremely good value. I'll definitely be coming back for more!

Pros: Helpful and friendly, Lots of vegan options, Very tasty and good value

bettercallsaul
bettercallsaul

Wonderful restaurant

5 Posted on 03 / 08 / 2014

Had an amazing experience here. The food was absolutely delicious, the rose-flavoured ice cream in particular, and the staff were incredibly friendly. The owner herself came and spoke to us and patiently explained the menu options and what each dish was. Very good value for money too: three courses and a drink each for two people at less than £30 was extremely reasonable and well worth every penny in my opinion.

Pros: Excellent food, Very friendly staff, Value for money
limegreen07
limegreen07

Above and beyond expectations

5 Posted on 02 / 10 / 2014

Well, we loved the old Ann Purna that used to occupy this spot when it was run by an older couple up until several years ago. It's a pleasure to find that this new venture lives up to those high standards, although in a different format. Gone sadly are the aubergine curry and the beautiful kulfi but in their place comes consistently high quality, imaginative street food, tasters and a current bargain thali, proper chai and dessert tasters. All with a great mix of Indian and East African style south asian food with some familiar and some not so familiar choices. Delightful, super friendly staff and an owner concerned with high standards and people enjoying their food; it will ensure that this is one restaurant that we'll never need an excuse to visit! Great to have both this and Kalpna in close proximity. Long may they continue.

Pros: Excellent Food, Good Value, Last but not least, lovely genuine staff
Cons: Cool draft at times, Incense can be pretty strong!
christopherjboyce
christopherjboyce

Good food, good value...will go back

4 Posted on 02 / 09 / 2014

Bindi is a new restaurant and I had walked past it several times. Eventually I waste tempted in to try their thali which not only costs just £5 (may be a limited offer as the restaurant has just opened), but also comes with two refills. So I took two friends who were visiting me after a long day hiking in the hills. We all had thalis but I was very tempted by much of the other food. However the thalis were delightful and all three of us came out satisfied. I also found the staff very friendly and helpful. I'm very keen to go back and try some of the other things on the menu and will update this review once I have, but the thali certainly gets a triple tick for now.

Pros: Tasty thali, Refills on the thali are possible, Nice comfortable restaurant
Cons: I am going to have to come back

Dear Owner and Manager of Bindi:

Thank you for being a Plus FRIEND supporter.

There are more ways to promote your business on HappyCow, including:

1. Advertise your large, custom banner on the Edinburgh page, or any other regional page
  2. Upgrade to Premium FRIEND status to get a Spotlight Feature in HappyCow's popular e-Newsletter, MooZine. You'll also get generous discounts on any additional advertising

Please email us if you have questions, or to get started today!

Last updated: 2014/04/25