Serves meat, veg options available. Busy restaurant billed as "fresh market cuisine." Its varied lunch and dinner menus feature a handful of vegetarian and vegan items, marked. Has a vegetarian bahn mi sandwich (with tofu), vegetable spring rolls, black bean chili, noodle bowl with choice of tofu, local fresh vegetable plate. Breakfast items contain egg/dairy (no vegan). 20 wine selection from the local vineyards. Casual and spacious with red tile floors, oak wood furniture, some mission style decor. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Organic, American, Fusion, Beer/Wine, Non-veg
1121 Broad St (Higuera St, downtown)
San Luis Obispo, California 93401
805-545-5401

Open Mon-Sat 7am-10pm, Sun 8am-9pm.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by hespedal
fiddletunes
fiddletunes

Food OK, but not spectacular

2 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2013

We went here for my birthday and ordered spring rolls, a tofu dish and veggie burger (all are supposed to be vegan) and none of this was very flavorful. My husband asked them to bring a vegan dessert for my birthday and it was a fruit crisp that was excellent. The restaurant is busy and therefore service was slow. The seating was tight, causing customers to bump into each other leaving and coming back to their seats. The prices for the appetizers and entrees were higher than I thought the food we ordered was worth. While the dessert was excellent, we won't be returning.

Pros: excellent dessert
Cons: slow service, bland, uninspired food, tight seating arrangement
mickeythemystic
mickeythemystic

Great vegetarian options

4 Posted on 05 / 29 / 2013

Have eaten here many times -- they always have unique vegetarian food on the menu.

Pros: Creative vegetarian food choices
Chia
Chia

Busy, okay food

3 Posted on 01 / 01 / 2012

I had read about this place on happycow and decided to stop in on my way from San Francisco to Los Angeles 2 weeks ago. Here's my Big Sky Cafe review.

I went during lunchtime on a Thursday, and the place was packed with diners. Seemed like such as popular place. The host at the door directed me to the bar for the waitress to take my to-go order. I took my food outside to eat -- didn't want to wait for a seat & order.

I got the vegetarian bahn mi sandwich with fries as my choice of side (salad, soup, or fries), $8.95. The sandwich was a decent attempt at a Vietnamese sandwich but did not taste very ethnic to me; it was filling though: french roll filled with grilled tofu, pickeled slices of onion/daikon/carrot, and mustard. The fries were very good, even the cold ones I saved for later.

While the menu marks which items are vegetarian/vegan, it was still primarily a meat-centric menu. And it seemed that most of the other diners were ordering meat stuff (I looked at what other people were eating).

Pros: good fries, sandwich not bad, friendly waitress
Cons: meat

irlandaise
irlandaise

Not great...

2 Posted on 12 / 12 / 2011

The ambiance of this place is like a southwestern TGI Fridays - totally cheesy theme restaurant vibe. The menu had a few vegan options, but when our food came it didn't seem very fresh and was not flavorful at all. I ordered some sort of noodle bowl and ended up feeling pretty gross after eating it - how do you OVERCOOK a noodle bowl?! Seemed like it had been sitting for a while. The service was friendly but they seated us all the way in the back by the kitchen door when there were plenty of booths and nicer tables available (they said they were ALL reserved - hard to believe.) If you need something fast and casual this restaurant will serve in a pinch, but I don't recommend it (especially considering all the other options San Luis Obispo has to offer!)

Pros: Casual, Cheap
Cons: Not very fresh, Not very flavorful
magicrabbits
magicrabbits

Great food, been eating there many years.

4 Posted on 01 / 13 / 2011

I have never been dissapointed at Big Sky. One of my favorite dishes is the Vegetarian Postole. Have it without the cheese and cornbread, you have a delicious vegan dish. The steel cut oats are great, and they asked if I had any dietary requirements. I got exactly what I wanted. As far as the tofu situation from another reviewer, I'll ask them to fix it the way I want it. At least one soup was vegan each time I came in. Bean burgers, were not my favorite, a little spicy for me. If you love spicy, then get the bean burger. We loved the fruit salsd, however it would be nice to have a vegan yogurt with it. Just a suggestion. Service and food was good. I come from Bakersfield and get to San Luis a couple times a year. I recommend this for good eats.

Pros: oatmeal, fruit salad, vegi postole
veggefatale
veggefatale

Great Food! Great service!

4 Posted on 12 / 19 / 2008

There are many vegan and vegetarian options here. One of the soups of the day is usually vegan. The complimentary wheat rolls are as well. The staff is very knowledgeable and friendly. Amazing place to eat!

Pros: Great food, Great service, Great art
Cons: Sometimes busy, Sometimes pricey
hespedal
hespedal

Not worth it for breakfast

2 Posted on 09 / 19 / 2008

I went in for breakfast very excited about trying a place that I had been told has vegan entrees. I found that they only serve breakfast before 11am and that their only vegan breakfast items were fruit and steel-cut oats. After exclaiming this to the counter guy, he said they would sub tofu for any of the egg scrambles for a vegan breakfast. I think: "great! I will just get this one with tofu and sans cheese.. great vegan breakfast!"

I was wrong. The dish came back as cubes of flavorless, barely cooked tofu. Tofu scrambles are quiet possibly the easiest thing to make (especially with tofu), so I was disappointed in the chefs abilities.

Dear Owner and Manager of Big Sky Cafe: