Bibliothe Roma provides vegetarian Ayurvedic food with a meal-of-the-day which consisting of soup, basmati pulao, chutney, and a signature salad. Uses 99% organic ingredients and most items are vegan suitable. Desserts might contain dairy, so ask. Staff speak English and will accommodate special dietary requests. Directions: It's near Piazza Venezia. Follow the tram line toward Torre Argentina, and you'll find Via Celsa on your right next to some ruins from the Tempio delle Ninfe. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Ayurvedic, Italian, Organic
Via Celsa 4, Roma
Rome, Italy 00186

Open Mon-Sat 12:30-3pm, 7:30-10:30pm.

First Review by KixChloe
blackvaldaswan
blackvaldaswan

A bit pricey with confusing menu, but tasty

3 Posted on 05 / 08 / 2014

This is restaurant with a typical Ayurvedic food. It was hard to understand what to expect just by reading the menu, so I went with Curry in a hurry (which is daily menu and varies each day) as that gave a promise of at least a decent portion of food for my lunch. The options for A la Carte menu looked more like quite expensive small starters and I didn't want to risk.

Have to say that I really enjoyed the food and it was the right size for me, but others might want to have bigger portions. My partner wasn't keen on having lunch and ordered only a tea and cake and was charged €10 for that. We both thought the food was overpriced.

The atmosphere was very nice and calming and it felt like a quite oasis just off the busy tourist sites.

Pros: great atmosphere, tasty food
Cons: too expensive, menu hard to understand
StephanieTighe
StephanieTighe

Great Zen night

4 Posted on 01 / 08 / 2014

Great restaurant! Awesome ayurvedic (Indian style)food, friendly service, and a relaxing environment to enjoy a meal. My partner and I had the 20 euro set menu which was extremely filling!! We had lunch at 11am and Bibliothe doesn't start serving dinner until 7:30pm so you can imagine we would have been pretty hungry but there was so much food we couldnt even finish our last course which was a salad!! If you feel like some zen and a healthy meal, come check out this cool restaurant. Oh and make sure you order a juice - its full of fresh organic goodness.

Pros: yumbo, chilled/ relaxing , great value
EthicalEngineers
EthicalEngineers

Once we Found it - Food and Service was Amazing!

5 Posted on 08 / 20 / 2013

This place a little tricky to find as its up a side street just off Pia. Venezia (follow the tram line for 2 min on foot). But when we did, the staff was super friendly and the place had a nice atmosphere. We asked for a reommended meal as the menu was italian (not a problem for us as "when in Rome" :-) ). The Vegan Food was a taste explosion especially the fruit juice and we loved what they called a "Croquette". Portion perhaps a little smaller than the mass production resturants and the prices a little highter than the cheap pizza places, but this was a unique meal experience and honestly - how many pizzas can someone eat on a holiday!

Pros: Vegan Options, Unique Food Experience, Super Friendly People & lovly Atmosphere
Cons: Can be expensive if you choose the trays, Tricky to find the place
beegantravels
beegantravels

Where Are You?!

2 Posted on 07 / 11 / 2013

I'm sad to say that I could not find this place. I don't know if I completely overlooked it or what, but I have never had so much trouble finding a restaurant. I even asked for help! One shop owner got me completely lost and my vegetarian tour guide for The Colosseum mentioned that she thought it might've closed.

• angdep angdep

Don't review restaurants if you haven't actually eaten there. It's misleading and skews the overall rating for the rest of us. Thanks!

christopherjboyce
christopherjboyce

Nice food but not easy to choose

4 Posted on 06 / 10 / 2013

I liked the ambiance in this place and I found the staff friendly and helpful but I found it difficult to choose what I wanted. Everything was explained to me well enough but I wasn't really that sure what I was going to get with some of the options. They have a thali type dish and then a menu of the day and it is hard to work out what the portions will be for each one - with only a small price difference. And then a third option on the main menu. I looked around the room to see if I could gauge what to expect from what others had in front of them. I just couldn't work it out so I went for a big soup in the end, and I was very happy with my choice as it was very tasty. Bread was good too. An English menu really would have helped though.

Pros: Friendly staff, Good food
Cons: No English menu

Eike
Eike

Worst Vegetarian Restaurant and Absolute Rip-off

2 Posted on 06 / 06 / 2013

There were two major things wrong with this restaurant – the food and the cost.
First, the food. We ordered a rice and vegetable dish which was stodgy and rather tasteless. The vegetables were a few green peas mixed in coloured rice and possibly a little bit of something which was unidentifiable. The menu promised organic and fresh food, but it was hard to detect either of these on our plates.
Second, the food was overpriced. We should have been alerted to the high price of the food by the fact that there were no prices shown on the menu out the front of the restaurant. For a couple of spoonfuls of rice with a dollop of mango pickle, we paid an outrageous 12 Euros. For a teapot of water with 2 (non-organic) teabags thrown in we paid 8 Euros.
In addition to this, the waiter was almost unintelligible as he was not able to communicate properly in either Italian or English (he only had a vocabulary of a few words in each language).

Cons: outrageous prices, the food is a joke, small portions
  • Trina Trina

Sorry you did not enjoy your experience at Bibliothè. I suspect you happened in between our lunch and dinner hours, which often happens with tourists. We stay open as a tearoom and cultural center from 3:30 to 7:30 pm but often accomodate hungry tourists for a meal. The tea we serve is all organic, as is 99% of all our ingredients. Please give us another try when back in Rome.

irmavepkitty
irmavepkitty

Two visits so far & hopefully more in the future!

5 Posted on 05 / 01 / 2013

I visited here last year while on holiday and went again last week as it had been a very positive experience last time. There are a variety of options on the menu but I simply went for the daily special of soup (a lovely pulse and tomato), flavoured rice and pickle, and salad. I took a slice of vegan carob cake away with me which I later discovered had an incredibly light texture and was frankly delicious. All the food was excellent and the staff were very helpful and friendly. Bibliothe has a really good atmosphere and I will certainly revisit it when I am next in Rome.
The earlier reviewer who goes on about malnutrition needs to get some perspective! This place provides good, fresh food, the menu is clearly labelled (in English) and there is friendly service. The price I feel is fair as it reflects this and the fact that you are in Rome!

Pros: fresh food, lots of vegan options, friendly staff
jesse
jesse

Rip Off

2 Posted on 12 / 25 / 2012

Disclaimer: The food is super-tasty -- maybe the tastiest food I've ever had at a vegetarian restaurant. But it's not worth eating here for two reasons: grotesque prices, and utterly inadequate (read malnutricious) food.

The food is Indian-themed, but don't let this put you off (I'm off Indian food which is generally over-spiced, over-oiled, protein deficient [unless you eat dairy], and often old and unclean) - because they know how to cook very very well. But here's what the €13 daily "menu" got me: First Course: a small bowl of delicious soup contains a few crunchy slivers of fresh coconut (delicious) and some boring bread; Second Course: a plate of yummy rice with a spoonful of excellent fresh coconut chutney; Third Course: little salad with scrumptious apple bits in the tastiest sauce I've ever had in my life (so good I wondered if it contained MSG - which I'm sure it didn't); Fourth Course: OH - there was no fourth course.

That's it! A few spoonfuls of soup, some rice on a plate, and a mini-salad. Zero protein!! Sorry but I need some beans or tofu.

So I ordered a piece of what might have been vegan cheesecake - it was okay. I went to pay and guess what! That little piece of cheesecake added another €6 to total €19 for a few morsels of malnutrition!

I grimaced at the charge so the guy reduced the bill to €16.

Not worth going to unless you want to be let down and waste money.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday December 25, 2012

Pros: Tasty
Cons: Rip Off, Inadequate, No Protein
  • Trina Trina

I apologize if I sounded patronizing. When next in Rome, please stop by and let us offer you lunch. All the best to you.

• jesse jesse

My "intense need for protein?" It is this kind of insinuation which characterises the patronising attitude of the workers and owner of your restaurant. This attitude, in turn, is a reflection of your unwillingness to budge in any direction which might improve your offerings.

Although my body is fairly muscular, and this may affect my stance on protein inclusion in food, it should be common knowledge to all that dahl is an inadequate protein source, and must be supplemented - as it is in India - with liberal helpings of dairy ingredients. As your company advertises the availability of vegan options as part of your menu, it behoves you to offer protein-balanced food. Otherwise you are not serving healthy or adequate dishes.

Perhaps your intense need for commerce is what is truly at issue here. In my experience, your prices would suggest the probability of such a hypothesis.

• Trina Trina

Sorry you had such a bad experience. In regards to the protein...our daily menu consists of soup (usually dhal or bean based) and rice which combine to make a complete protein. There are also other things on our menu that might have satisfied your intense protein need. Hope you'll give us another try.

CatherineM
CatherineM

A gem

4 Posted on 11 / 08 / 2012

I loved this place. After too much pasta and heavy food, it was a refreshing change. The staff were helpful about dietary requirements and we had a delicious meal in a relaxed atmosphere.

Pros: Nice staff, Tasty food, Good value
Kathleenic
Kathleenic

The Very Best

5 Posted on 09 / 28 / 2012

I've been to many vegetarian restaurants in the USA and in Europe. Bibliothe is by far the BEST! The food is scrumptious and the staff is friendly, warm hearted, and I'll miss seeing all of them. Bibliothe offers a calm Eastern spiritual atmosphere. I've tried several other places in Rome mentioned on Happy Cow's website and I've decided to just eat at Bibliothe.

DonnaZ
DonnaZ

GREAT RESTAURANT

4 Posted on 08 / 10 / 2012

I loved going to Bibliothe with my husband and daughter during my day trip to Rome. It was easy to find via Google directions and nearby the Pantheon. The atmosphere was relaxed, not full of tourists. My family and I split the vegan bada, steamed vegetables with basmati brown rice, a salad, and ginger candy treats. The food was deliciously fresh. I really appreciated the wide availability of vegan options and that the ingredients were 99% organic! I wish I could have tried a vegan cake or pie. Next time I'll call ahead to make sure they have vegan desserts prepared when I visit. Prices were extremely reasonable too. No alcoholic beverages served. Waiters could speak English.

Pros: Excellent organic vegetarian/vegan food, Good value, Calm atmosphere
Cons: Need to call ahead for vegan desserts, Trouble swiping credit card, No alcoholic drinks
KevinSandler
KevinSandler

Best Indian restaurant I have ever been to!!

5 Posted on 06 / 22 / 2012

If you are vegan or not, you need to stop here. It's the best Indian food I've ever had and I've eaten Indian food all over the world. Aryuvedic cuisine at its finest with wonderful owners and staff who make you feel so welcome. They remembered me after I ate there one year ago!

Pros: Excellent food, healthy cuisine, friendly staff
cosmo67
cosmo67

Very nice place to be

5 Posted on 05 / 07 / 2012

During my vacation in Rome I had some lunches at the restaurant and can really recommend it. The place is not easy to find and rather small with a pleasant and relaxed atmosphere and nice wall decoration. I always took the "menu of the day" and was never disappointed; especially the vegetable soup was very yummy! Also veganizing the menu (if necessary) was absolutely no problem - i.e. chutney instead of yoghurt sauce. IMHO the portions are perfect for a light lunch (I had the "normal" menu, not the smaller "curry-in-a-hurry" menu on a metal plate) and left me energized till dinner time. The staff is very friendly and the price level absolutely fair, given the quality - and it's organic.
Updated from previous review on Monday May 07, 2012

Pros: Quality of food, Friendly atmosphere
Cons: --
Meliska
Meliska

Wonderful!

5 Posted on 02 / 21 / 2012

The food is excellent and the staff extremely friendly. Vegan options are clearly marked on the menu with an asterisk, which makes it very easy to identify them. At least 50% of the menu was vegan, including one dessert. Quiet, relaxed and pleasant atmosphere. With ordering multiple courses, the meal did take a bit of time and we were in a hurry, but they were helpful in getting me out the door as soon as we finished. Went with my toddler who made a giant mess, and they were very sweet about it. Highly recommend!

dkinjer
dkinjer

Tasty food, nice desserts, pleasant atmosphere

4 Posted on 01 / 31 / 2012

I'm not a big fan of Indian food, but I did enjoy the fixed lunch of the day. However, as I find with most Indian food, the portions are rather small. A large metal plate with a portion of rice, a small metal bowl of soup to eat with the rice, an even smaller bowl of chutney. We were given bread (for which I think we were charged extra, as is the case in every restaurant we were in in Rome) and bottled water (again, extra charge, as every place in Rome). There was also some salad, included. I had very good house tea and a very tasty dessert. My companion had a very tasty dessert (tea and dessert not included in the lunch meal). I would have liked the rice to be whole grain (it was very tasty basmati rice).

Pros: tasty, nice atmosphere, clean
Cons: small portion
Liwi
Liwi

Friendly food

4 Posted on 01 / 26 / 2012

After walking around for hours trying to find something vegan ( that was not just white flour and tomato sauce) in the thousands of tourist tavernas in Rome, finding Bibliothe was like coming home to a dear friend that you haven't seen in years. I went there with my vegetarian boyfriend, and they took my veganism very seriously, carefully explaining what in the menu was and wasn't vegan. We ordered a menu plus a coupple of extra dishes, and had a feast. Service was a little slow but we could see the cooks working busily in the kitchen and we could taste that the food was made with love. Even though only one of us ordered a set meny,which included a drink and tea, this was served to both of us with no extra charge. I can definitively reccomend Bibliothe to vegans, and I especially reccomend the hummus with an Indian touch of garam masala. Delicious :)

Pros: friendly staff, vegan friendly
ira
ira

We went back...

5 Posted on 12 / 31 / 2011

... because we just LOVED the food here! In a side street not far from main tourist places (Forum Romanum, Pantheon etc) we were delighted to find sitting space when Rome was filled up with tourists everywhere. It was a joyful experience, we got salads, a dosa variety and some vegetable pilaw as well as two sublime vegan fruit balls as 'dolce', as there were no vegan sweet things available. Together with tea (medium sized pot) and bread we paid 40 euros (for 2 people) which is not cheap but considering the taste (quite Indian for a European restaurant!) and the quality (organic, everything freshly made) we were very satisfied. The next day we had the 'daily menu' in a vegan variety which was also very nice!

Pros: yummy, cosy place, prime location
Cons: not cheap, not fast
gavi
gavi

• raw

almost OK. SUPER slow. order mistakes. simple menu

2 Posted on 12 / 30 / 2011

December 2011, I tried this restaurant. Very good location close to Pantheon / Piazza Argentina in Rome. I suggest booking as the place has got very few tables. Menu was super simple but still many items were missing. Restaurant was serving only 5 couples but still they managed to take 1.5 hours for a simple meal! And the drinks arrived 30 minutes after the (salty) starter. The second dish, 50 minutes after the main dish (just rice and a soup, so not that complicated to make). They made mistakes and brought the meal wrong (I aksed for no milk products and got yogurt cream on the main). and so on...

Pros: location
Cons: SUPER_slow, order_mistakes, limited_choice
Laitio-Ramone
Laitio-Ramone

Love this place

5 Posted on 12 / 25 / 2011

Me and my girlfriend searched this lovely place after reading really positive reviews here in HappyCow. Bibliothe was a bit hard to find first. We saw people doing art when entered address given here. We looked more and noticed restaurang door was in left. Restaurang, library and culture/ art room are next to each other and they are under same "commune." Restaurang had nice arts in walls. Bibliothe has around 20 seats.

Feeling is intimate and we got extremely friendly service. Everyone in staff was smiling, friendly, joked etc. Menu was only in Italian. We decided to take full menu..., and we felt we got eight course menu. It cost only 25 euros. Before first course was self-made drink etc. (They doesn't serve alcohol). We were eating 2,5 hours and we had many surprises. Everything else was also selfmade, not used any "consumer-ready food." what we noticed. Food weren't much spiced and salted (what was good), had original tastes.

We really fell in love with Bibliothe and will certainly visit again when travel next time to Rome.

Pros: Healthy, Friendly, Taste
Dula
Dula

Posh Restaurant

3 Posted on 12 / 11 / 2011

If you are looking for big portions vegan restaurant with good price for the food, please don't go to this place. Dinner would cost here more than 25 euros per person. If you are looking for pricey posh dinner restaurant - this is your place...

Cons: very pricey
Guest
Guest

The best in Rome

5 Posted on 11 / 20 / 2011

The best "real" veg/indian restaurant in rome.
Serves dishes that you can't find elsewhere, the restaurant and decorations are really really nice and the whole staff (native bangladesh/indian) is kind and very gently.
Prices are very good.
Service is a little bit slow during the week, DEATHLY slow on week end. Don't go on saturday/sunday, the restaurant is not able to manage much customers.
Condiments are very strong in every food so if you don't like condiments, think about it.

Pros: Food, Price, Atmosphere
Fredomoni
Fredomoni

Place must to eat while visiting /staying in Rome

5 Posted on 11 / 17 / 2011

We have taken road trip to Italy in October.
We arrive quite late to restaurnat and without any reservation.
Server and owner was very welcoming.
They have placed us with herbal tea untill one seats get availble.
We have enjoyed this waiting time ,while haveing herbal tea nad lloking at books.
The food was worth of wiating.
Food is very fresh , nicely serve.
It was one of the best vegetarian restaurant we have been in Italy.
So we have retruned every evening during our stay.
The owner have gave us parcel so that we cna have this food during our next stop on thsi road trip.
Higly recommend peopel hwol would like to teste good, freshly cooked vegan food.
Food is not so expensive as comapre to few restaurant which we tried for Vegan food.

lauren s.
lauren s.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!

5 Posted on 10 / 01 / 2011

I love Bibliothe! I found this place on a rainy day while wandering the streets near the pantheon. I love the food, atmosphere, and the people that worked there were so nice. I seriously miss the samosas and the daily soups. I ate here every week while I was in Rome. I highly recommend the daily lunch special. There is a drink with orange, lemon, and ginger that I could never remember the name of but if you go to Bibliothe you must get this drink! The walls have contemporary Indian art work and they play great music too. Did I mention they also have a library that you can sit and read for as long as you like? Everyone that works there was so nice and friendly; it would be hard not to be in a good mood while being in this place. Bibliothe I miss you! Send me some samosas! Next time I am in Rome, this place is on my first stop list. Go! you will not be disappointed. I brought some non-vegetarian friends there and even they loved it!

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, awesome!!
holyblackcow
holyblackcow

Exquist, delightfy, lovingly made food!

5 Posted on 09 / 28 / 2011

I have been in Italy for 2 months, craving good vegetarian food, we found Bibliothe on Holly Cow . . . everything that we had was delicious, clean & clear food, made with love. The tastes were exquisite, I felt really nourished. We also loved the serenity of the place

PhilippeNicolitch
PhilippeNicolitch

Excellent indian food

4 Posted on 09 / 17 / 2011

This was a perfect break from a long morning of walking and visiting. The staff offered to prepare us a special vegan menu with a mung bean dal, rice and a salad. The atmosphere was great and the location is perfect for tourists. The food was simple but extremely tasty and prepared with care and attention.

Pros: Taste, Location
Moix
Moix

Nice place!

4 Posted on 07 / 27 / 2011

Visited for lunch. Very helpful & friendly staff. The menu is completely in Italian however the vegan options have asterisks making it ultra easy. Also the chef was helpful & pointed out which dessert was vegan. I had the daily lunch special for 10 euro & a dessert (dried fruit ball) for 4 euro & while the food was lovely I felt that the serving sizes was small.. There was a larger lunch option available for 13 euro so next time I will try that one!

Pros: Friendly, Comfortable, Asterisks for Vegan Options
Cons: Small portions, Expensive for the Aussie wallet
Miggi
Miggi

Refreshing juice

3 Posted on 07 / 11 / 2011

Quite a nice unhurried atmosphere, unlimited (and unsnooty provision of) jugs of tap-water which we desperately needed on such a hot day. They made a fantastic refreshing apple, mint and ginger juice as well.
Vegan options / dishes are marked on the menu, though most of it is not in English it wasn't hard to order 2 vegan versions of the set meal for the day. This was 3 courses, a nice soup which was served with some very dry bread, a plate with two types of rice and some tomato sauce, and a salad. One of the rice dishes was very tasty but the other was quite boring and the tomato sauce was nothing special. The salad was ok, with a good flavour dressing, but again nothing amazing. It'd work better as a side to the rice dishes.
For the price, which was 13 euros each for the set meal, I expected something a bit more interesting. Might have been our mistake - the dosa looked a lot nicer, so maybe give that a go if you try this place.
The juice was 5 euros but that's a fairly standard price for frsh juice in Rome, and this was was freshly made, a good size portion and very tasty and refreshing.

Pros: vegan food, great juice, relaxed
Cons: not exciting for the price, dry bread, rice with rice?!
veganmanc
veganmanc

Extremely helpful staff/owner

4 Posted on 06 / 28 / 2011

I ate here twice this month and the owner and staff couldn't have been more helpful. On my first visit I arrived after luch had finished but the chef still allowed me to have a meal (the puri dish - Indian puffed bread with vegetables that were flavoured so deliciously).
Determined to eat an evening meal I arrived a few nights later to find there was an event on in the bookshop and the restaurant had been fully booked. But the owner still allowed me a table and provided a huge plate of veg, rice and the nicest hummus I've had, and at a reduced price.
The menu has 3 or 4 vegan dishes clearly marked on it as well as vegan desserts (which I was unable to try).
I'm looking forward to my next trip to Rome when I can order a full meal here.
The owner and chef also speak good English, which was appreciated when my limited Italian only got me so far!

Pros: Helpful staff/owner, Tasty food
mcjc444
mcjc444

Great Restaurant

5 Posted on 04 / 27 / 2011

Bibliothe is on Via Celsa 4 - at near Piazza del Gesu and Pantheon. We found this restaurant difficult to find despite its central location. Look for the bookstore (its in back) but that could be a good thing because if it was easy to find, it would be impossible to get a table... and for good reason. The food is delicious - wonderful fresh organic ingredients, lovingly prepared. The highly flavorful and vegetable rich dishes are a welcome relief to pizza and pasta. The soups were particularly splendid. The staff is charming, warm and friendly (especially Trina) - one feels that the food is prepared with love. The cuisine is Indian with an Italian /international twist - light but substantial.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, english speaking staff
mojovegan
mojovegan

too expensive for what we get

2 Posted on 03 / 04 / 2011

nice little restaurant with a lot of charme. It smells good inside and the staff is friendly. As we where there the owner offered us a vegan menue. At first it sounds good but it wasnt. He knes that we were vegan and told to us its not a problem to get a vegan meal. So we had a soup (was good) and the maindish (only rice with chutney) no vegetables!!!! or something else. The rice was not spiced.And at first they served it with yoghurt dip! So i had to ask 2 times if its possible to get a new meal! It was not tasty. At last we had a salad wich was not good. I thought the chef has forgot the salt, lemon and so on...
portions little, price to much

KatyK
KatyK

A bad experience...

2 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2011

We had a hard time finding this place because it's on a small street. After wandering around looking for it for 45 minutes, we had a pretty bad experience. The service was extremely slow. It literally took about an hour for them to deliver a pot of tea and an appetizer. We must have asked 10 times for the tea before it came - and there were 2 or 3 servers and only about 8 tables in the whole place! Then it was another 30 minutes before the main course came - and they got it wrong. We were so starving by then, we ate it anyway. For how expensive it was, the food was just OK. For 5 euros, the hummus app was teeny tiny. However, the vegan croquettes were pretty tasty. Only go here if you're desperate for vegan food or really, really into Ayurveda.

Pros: vegan items
Cons: slow service, overpriced, hit-or-miss staff
eva-amanto
eva-amanto

Excellent vegetarian restaurant , Indian style

5 Posted on 09 / 25 / 2010

Thanks to Happy Cow we found this nice restaurant during our trip in September 2010. The food looks like Hare Krisna food, but here you can have a lovely 4 cours dinner with drinks for only 25 euros! Portions are big.
Waiting time is ok and the staff is very friendly and explains the different ingredients.
Thank you Bibliothe for the great evening!
The website of the restaurant seems to be offline but the restaurant is still open!

hpatelmd
hpatelmd

Excellent (Indian) Veggie Meal

5 Posted on 06 / 10 / 2010

We found this place on our last day in Rome, & wished we'd discovered it sooner. Fixed lunch menu, varies daily, excellent aromtaic spices, not overly pungent. Very refreshing change from the mainstrean Italian fare. The waiter spoke excellent English, service was prompt, & the food was abundant. The papaya & avocado salad was exquisite, with olive oil dressing. The Moong Dal, spiced with ginger & coriander was very fresh tasting. The desserts looked great, but honestly, we had no room.
The price for this lunch with 1L water & fresh wholewheat bread was 28 Euros! Not bad at all for Rome. I'm not sure what the previous reviews were expecting when they mentioned this place was "expensive".
The owner, Enzo, took time to chat afterwards, very friendly, family guy. Has been running this place for 10 years, hope he continues for many more!
We look forward to eating here the next time we are in Rome.

Pros: Home style fresh food, Wholesome, healthy food, Friendly, low key atmoshpere
SKraus500
SKraus500

Love this place

5 Posted on 04 / 21 / 2010

My non-veg husband and i have gone to rome twice during the last two years, and we always eat here. I am very into Ayurveda, so it's nice to have an ayurvedic restaurant to visit. The owner is wonderful, and we always talk to her about her experiences, since she is from the States and is now living in rome. the food is great - light, filling and healthy. We even bought the cookbook. I hesitate to give this place such a glowing review, because next time we want to visit, it might be too busy and we won't get a table!

Pros: healthy cuisine, friendly owners, ayurvedic food
  • SKraus500 SKraus500

It's a small place, but I've never had trouble getting a table. I don't know if they even take reservations.

• Hayleyellis Hayleyellis

Hi. me and my boyfreind are going to Rome in 2 weeks. you sound like you know this place well, and i was just wondering if we would need to go at the beginning of the week to book a table or if they are not that busy?thanks x

tiffers787
tiffers787

A real treat!

5 Posted on 04 / 19 / 2010

This place was a real treat! We went for lunch, and I think it was around 14 euros for the 4-course meal. Everything was perfectly flavored, and the atmosphere of dark woods and high ceilings makes for a very relaxing experience. Highly recommended!

MMC
MMC

Cultural Cucina - Delizioso!

5 Posted on 04 / 16 / 2010

This is a very unique and lively place with kind and gracious owners (Trina and Enzo) and a small but attentive staff - who offer prix fix lacto/ vegetarian and vegan meals for 25 euros (for dinner) and 13 euros (for lunch). The meals include a pot of spiced chai tea, bread and dessert and are molto deliciozo - the Ayurveda recipes have an Italian influence naturalmente!

On my visit I had a very generous sampler (that could almost serve two people) which included a well crafted salad of thinly sliced apple, fennel with slivered almonds with a whisper of citrus vinaigrette, fritters and lentil stew with rice pilaf and a choice of desserts
-( the orange, pistachio cheese tart was great). They are located right around the corner from the cat sanctuary at Largo Argentina (romancats.com) and just a few blocks from the Pantheon.

The cafe also multi-purposes as a classroom and performance/poetry space featuring Sanskrit lessons (on Mondays) and Art performances (on various days of the week and Saturdays).

Cash only and open hours are 1 pm until 10 or 11pm Monday through Saturday and they will serve dinner early if you desire. Buono appetite!

yorkie77
yorkie77

Gorgeous

4 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2010

After a day pounding the streets of Rome we made our way to this place. It serves Indian veggie and vegan food. We had eaten so much pizza and pasta that this was a welcome change. The food was soothing and full of lovely flavour. The decor in the restaurant is lovely too. The service was so friendly and we left very full and content. It cost 25 Euros for mineral water, low alcohol beer, thali (lots of little dishes), dessert and yummy tea.

Mongus
Mongus

Nice indian atmosfere

4 Posted on 11 / 18 / 2009

The food is good and the indian music is nice. The atmosfere is meditatve and there is a big wall with books from the Bhaktivedanta Library. Walk from Piaza Venezia to Argentina and turn right halfway. It does look more like a bookshop.

Pros: healthy cuisine, friendly staff, good value
meatisfordummies
meatisfordummies

OK

3 Posted on 11 / 17 / 2009

Food was good but expensive. Some vegan options that an English speaking waiter was happy to point out. All Indian food. Probably OK if you're a local, but if traveling there are a few other places to get better vegan Italian food.

Pros: friendly, location
Cons: price
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Open and Outstanding Vegan Set meals!!!

5 Posted on 09 / 08 / 2009

We wandered into Bibliothe after a long hike through Roman Ruins starving to death the first time we ate here! Its a really quaint little restaurant in an alleyway so keep your eye's pealed for it! Its right next to a dinner theater. The owners speak perfect English (one is from my home town), you will leave very full! Cost was 15 Euro for a set vegan meal which included bread / side / soup / main dish during lunch and maybe 20 during dinner (we ordered 3 small bottles of water, too so 40 for two people) We ate here a second time before our flight home and they were so wonderful again. The chefs made us 3 amazing courses customized to our low fat vegan needs consisting of rice with peas and amazing spices, glazed carrots with chapati bread, and a cucumber mint tomato salad. I can't express how wonderful our food was and the ingredients were so fresh and the spices were jumping off our forks! They have expanded it over the summer break and the seating area is larger making this just the perfect place to escape from the hectic pace of a Roman Holiday!

Pros: Vegan Set Meal, Customizable, So friendly!
alisonottaway
alisonottaway

Small, friendly, definitely Indian,,,

4 Posted on 04 / 06 / 2009

Myself (vege) and my partner (vege and non wheat eater) visited this restaurant, having read reviews here, in April 09. We had a really lovely meal. The waiter was helpful and had broken English (which helped explaining the wheat intolerence). We had a variation of their set menu - a pulse soup, some white basmati rice (which was just a little heavy for us really as cooked with ghee), a wonderful carrot salad, a great apple pie and some sesame sweets. The tea was also just great. We spent more than we wanted to but it was a real joy to find such a friendly place that could cater for us.

Pros: variety, friendly, helpful
Cons: not cheap
melindamarie123
melindamarie123

Peaceful Vegetarian Oasis near the Pantheon

5 Posted on 03 / 10 / 2009

My husband and I feel extremely lucky to have stumbled upon this vegetarian gem while looking for lunch near the Pantheon. From the moment we walked in we felt as if we had walked into a Zen oasis just blocks away from bustling, touristy Rome. The place smelled wonderful upon entry, and we were really happy with the beautiful atmosphere and soothing music. Lunch was a (good) adventure - we ordered the Vegan menu of the day not knowing what would be coming our way. Out came a small delicious salad, followed by a yummy cous cous and curry dish. Portions were good, and everything was delicious! A small tasty dessert ended this perfect meal. Our waiter was very good, he was attentive and spoke enough English to make ordering easy. We also met the owner who was very friendly, on our way out. What a refreshing and unexpected surprise in an area of town we didn't hope to find anything better than a chain restaurant for lunch! We have since recommended it to friends visiting the city.

Pros: tasty food, peaceful environment, friendly staff
Ami
Ami

Bibliothe is Amazing!

5 Posted on 09 / 20 / 2008

After a day of sightseeing in Rome we found Bibliothe pretty easily (It is not so far from the Monument Victorio/Pantheon). The food was amazing, my partner is a Vegan and they were more than happy to customise their menu to cater for vegans, which is hugely appriciated, especially in another country where English is a second language.

The chef made the most scrumptious food and it was great value for money. We ended up dining there three times as it was the best place for Vegetarians/Vegans in Rome :) The setting was also nice and peaceful and the owners were very friendly and nice to talk to. I recomend you go experience for yourselves next time you are in Roma.

Pros: Delicious, Good Value
Cons: Nothing!
Tirtharaj
Tirtharaj

veggie food in rome

5 Posted on 07 / 22 / 2008

I searched high and low around Rome for a pure vegetarian restaurant and lo and behold I cam across this place. I have been there the last two days with my wife and another couple and the food has just been fantastic. A little hard to find it looks like a library with an attached dining area. But the food was great and really well priced. I wish I lived in Rome. I would eat there every day!

Pros: clean, great food, great service
Cons: I don't live in rome
KixChloe
KixChloe

Small and friendly restaurant!

4 Posted on 06 / 13 / 2008

My husband and I found this place whilst searching for another restaurant on the happycow list.

Bibliothe is a small and friendly pure vegetarian restaurant that serves Indian style food. I think the menu changes throughout the week.

I had a vegetable roll, some ginger tea and an Indian dolci (dessert). The roll was very very tasty, as was the pudding. I wasn't so sure about the tea as I am not the greatest fan of ginger (it wasn't obvious that it contained ginger from the menu)!.

The food was reasonably priced and all in all my husband and I felt that this was a good find (especially as we were tired and hungry after searching for the other restaurant!).

Pros: Tasty food, Reasonably priced

Dear Owner and Manager of Bibliothe: