Beyond Sushi

All vegan sushi store, primarily grab-n-go with few seating inside. Offers choice of nori or soy bean paper for rolls plus freshly squeeze juice and side salad. Sister restaurant to The Green Roll in Chelsea Market. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Japanese, Macrobiotic, Juice bar, Fast food, Take-out, Delivery
229 E 14th St (near Union Square, Manhattan)
New York City, New York 10003
646-861-2889

Open Sun-Wed 11:30am-10pm, Thur-Sat 11:30am-11pm.

First Review by AlanC
Gyan Penrose-Kafka
Gyan Penrose-Kafka

A great experience

5 Posted on 04 / 18 / 2014

I've had vegan sushi elsewhere and been generally disappointed, but this stuff was really a pleasure to eat. It was fresh, light, tasty and offered a variety of flavors and textures.

If I ever go back to NYC, I will certainly check this place out again.

Pros: Variety of flavors, Textures/mouthfeel, Vegan
Cons: Inside a noisy mall
cookiem
cookiem

So fresh

4 Posted on 02 / 01 / 2014

I love that there is a vegan sushi joint, but I am sad that this place isn't larger. You walk in, and if there's too many people, you may walk out. They make the sushi for you right in front of you, so, it's fun to see them create your meal!

The ingredients are super fresh and unique, as far as vegan sushi. They also have a great choice in rice paper rolls, regular salads and side salads. Plus, they have some healthy vegan cookies/ desserts - love the puddings, any puddings! Although I have loved everything I have tried for sushi, I don't like having buckwheat noodles in the wrap, but that's just me - it tastes funny. Other than that, this place is awesome. When I dream of sushi now, I dream of this place. It's so comforting to not have to worry about cross contamination! It's also great not to have to see dead fish parts or to smell it.

Love this place! Only 4 cows though because of sizeā€¦ and I kind of wish they had some fried stuff. :) Super healthy and so delicious!

Pros: Vegan vegan vegan, Desserts, Super fresh
Cons: Seating/ size, Nothing fried...
GaborSzoke
GaborSzoke

It does worth to return!

5 Posted on 12 / 07 / 2013

Although we have only spent five days in New York City during our latest visit in the United States, and we promised ourselves to try as many different vegan places as we could, we simply could not resist returning to Beyond Sushi for another round of sushi rolls. This tiny little hidden gem is a definite must for any vegans wandering the area; the sushi you are getting at this place is marvellous, creative, innovative, the staff is super friendly, and even the prices are bearable. The only downside that we could think about is the size of the establishment, you might have to wait to be able to sit down, or just take your food away. Highly recommended!

Pros: Fantastic food, Very friendly staff, Reasonable prices
Cons: Not too many tables, No restroom
ryentaylor
ryentaylor

NOT ORGANIC

2 Posted on 11 / 15 / 2013

I asked the owner/chef if it's organic - NO. I'm really getting tired of restaurants saying 'organic when possible'...Does that mean 'When I am not being cheap'. Organic is ALWAYS possible if you are in the restaurant business. Yes, at times you can not get organic cucumbers, or kale or something you need, but you should always put it up on the board so customers can decide for themselves if they want to purchase a product. I went to Beyond Sushi because I was buying it from a local yoga studio and wanted to explore their other options as it's delicious. Either go organic, or don't. Don't say 'whenever possible'. And do not mislead people into thinking it's organic.

Pros: inventive, tasty
Cons: pesticide filled rice from china, non-organic produce, false advertising
MHC48
MHC48

Will Blow You Away

5 Posted on 10 / 12 / 2013

The sushi here is so tasty, creative and just plain beautiful to look at. The black rice sets off the colorful vegetables and sets your mind watering for the first taste. Which does not disappoint. Beyond Sushi will reset and expand your expectations, not just for vegan or vegetable sushi but any sushi. Amazing combinations of taste and textures.

The reason I'm adding my review to the ones already existing is because there is also a small branch located in the Chelsea Market, 75 9th Avenue, where I ate. There is no seating here but lots of places in the Market or when the weather is nice, in a nearby park or the Pier itself. If you come to NYC you owe it to yourself to try the sushi here whether are a vegan or vegetarian and have no qualms about bringing along a non-veg foodie. A perfect place to come after a walk on the High Line.

Pros: Imaginative food, Tasty, Inexpensive and filling
Cons: You'll want to try everything, No seating
HiPB
HiPB

Creative Creations

4 Posted on 09 / 28 / 2013

I was a big fish fan prior to becoming vegan, so my expectations were high, perhaps too high, when coming to Beyond Sushi. What you will get at this establishment is a sleek, clean, and enjoyable environment, and you will eat some creative sushi rolls. I had a Spicy Mango roll: black rice, avocado, mango, cucumber, served with toasted Cayenne sauce. I also had the nicely portioned seaweed salad, which was refreshing and good. I enjoyed Beyond Sushi, but it's not a comparable experience with "real" sushi.
Updated from previous review on Saturday September 28, 2013

Pros: Creative menu, clean environment, friendly staff
Hanael
Hanael

Amazing

5 Posted on 08 / 14 / 2013

I went with my omnivore family, and one of them claimed, "it tastes better than regular sushis". I absolutely loved it! Everything I tried tasted marvelous and was nicely presented.

Pros: taste, price
VeganLin
VeganLin

Amazing Vegan Sushi

5 Posted on 03 / 04 / 2013

I was in NYC to attend the 2013 Vegetarian Festival, but we were unable to get in the first day due to large crowds. So we had lunch at Beyond Sushi. Wow! The food was beautifully presented and absolutely delicious. I never had vegan sushi before and again I say "wow". The restaurant is tiny with only 3 tables and we were lucky to get one of them. The staff is friendly, the prices are reasonable, the ingredients are fresh and the food is so appetizing. I had the combination sushi roll and small wrap and it was a great choice. They offer a Sushi Roll of the Month along with their regular offerings. I wish there was a Beyond Sushi in Philadelphia. I would eat there often. The only negative aside from lack of space is that there is no restroom. I will be back next time I visit NYC.

Pros: Delicious food, Reasonable price, Fresh ingredients
Cons: Lack of seating, No restroom
veggie*
veggie*

Really good sushi

5 Posted on 12 / 17 / 2012

This place is fantastic! The sushi is all healthy but incredibly delicious. I would not go in a large group are there is very limited seating. I would definitely come back if I lived in the area.

juliotnunes
juliotnunes

Beyond Sushi

4 Posted on 10 / 29 / 2012

We have made vegan sushi from Veganomicon and they are decent, but after eating at Beyond Sushi this place is amazing and would definitely go back again. The Sicy Mang has a kick to it and the Sweet Angel as well. They are accommodating if you desire not to have the spicy sauce on it, which most come with.

As far as seating arrangements, it is rather small and no restrooms.

Pros: execellent food, good value
AlanC
AlanC

Wonderful and Artistic Food

5 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2012

Beyond Sushi offers reasonably priced, super healthy, beautifully made and delectable vegan sushi and the staff is friendly. The combinations are so creative, tasty, and made from super healthy grains and locally grown and purchased produce.

Pros: Delicious Food, Beautiful Presentation, Attractive Venue
Cons: Haven't opened up a store in DC!

Dear Owner and Manager of Beyond Sushi: