Betty's Vegetarian Restaurant

Upscale dining with formal seating inside and a couple sidewalk tables. Healthy food. Food served until 7:30pm. Closed last Sunday of the month. 10 minutes from Museumplein on the tram. Price: Expensive more-less
Lacto, Western, European

Wed-Sun 5:30pm-10:30pm

First Review by wellread
ronitw
ronitw

Delightful! Highly Recommended

Posted on 04 / 16 / 2016

We easily made reservations in advance and mentioned I was vegan.
The place is small and charming. Gido is very personable and provided great service.
Dinner was great, starting with exciting appetizers, everything special and tasty.
Dessert was spectacular. My partner who is not vegan had lemon cheesecake, and then there were two more awesome vegan cakes as well as vegan fudge, accompanied by good coffee.
The price was not expensive at all, considering the food and the wine. I highly recommend!

Pros: Great food, Great service, Lovely ambience
Cons: A little slow
MelissaWeiss
MelissaWeiss

great atmosphere and food

Posted on 01 / 05 / 2016

Great to have a "fine dining" option in Amsterdam. Dishes were healthy, but not just brown rice and grilled tofu they were creative! They are prepared to accommodate vegans with good substitutes for the few non vegan ingredients rather than omitting. E.g. They had a soy yogurt sauce for me instead of a yogurt sauce. They also always have a vegan cake for desert.

berteun
berteun

Cosy and laid-back restaurant with surprising dishes

Posted on 05 / 17 / 2015

Cosy small restaurant, so making a reservation is highly recommended. The pre-set (surprise) menu changes every two weeks. As an example we got (among other things) a bowl of pea soup and a tapenade of puy lentils and some mais cakes, a chutney of tamarind, indian style potatoes, beetroot with rhubarb, perl cous cous with grape sauce, aubergine with tahin and delicious desert cake to top it off.

The only down side was the waiting time between starter and main course.

Pros: Helpful with suggestions
Cons: Waiting time between courses

jennyc32
jennyc32

Spectacular dining experience

Posted on 04 / 19 / 2015

We went for a meal at Betty's on the last night of our holiday, and it was the culinary highlight of the trip. We'd booked the table in advance via their website, and let them know we were vegan. Booking is strongly recommended, as it's a small place, and there is no menu to look at: every night they put on three courses of their choice, so it's worth giving them a heads up if you want vegan food. The owner was very friendly and explained all the dishes to us in English. We had a sharing plate for our starter, and a delicious tofu-based dish for the main - both of these were tweaks on the dishes served to the vegetarians. For dessert, however, we were given three slices each of the vegan cakes they'd prepared, and they were all delicious! The atmosphere is both intimate and relaxed, we weren't hurried along at any point, so we left feeling satisfied but not uncomfortably full. Obviously you pay for the service and quality of food, but it was worth it and I can't recommend it enough for a special occasion.

Pros: Excellent, attentive service, Delicious food, Great vegan options
giancarlo59
giancarlo59

Ok but pretentious

Posted on 02 / 04 / 2014

A nice setting as it is actually a normal Amsterdam house turned restaurant. The food is good but not excellent when compared with the expectations set by the host. Use of foreign language (French and Italian for the most) to describe the items being served (even when pronounced wrong) adds charisma to the experience. Lots of information given about the origin of the product too. However the service is not as good as the stories being told. Little attention is paid to what's going on at the table (no drinks) and far too long time to wait between courses. It took more than 3 hours to have a complete dinner. Again it would all be ok if the food was outstanding. Unfortunately it is not. Simply good. But that's where it stops.

Pros: Nice settings, Quality of products
Cons: Meal tasts good but not excellent, Too expensive for what it is offered, Service is nice but too slow
Qternocq
Qternocq

What distinguishes the good from the alright

Posted on 11 / 12 / 2013

Absolutely a five star restaurant for me. We booked a promotional diner (they existed 25 years so a 3 course meal was 25 euros) but the quality was no less astounding than it would be in a normal situation. The portions are exactly right (so that the desert only just fits) and the the taste was just perfect. The somewhat higher price is clear from the moment you take the first bite and is definitely worth it. The service is good, they explain everything you have on your plate and are very nice to just have a chat with. The restaurant is very cosy. Do make sure you make a timely reservation and mention it if you are vegan. We are and this was no problem at all for the cook!

AMKNL
AMKNL

The WOW effect!

Posted on 12 / 13 / 2012

A big thx to the Godess in the kitchen and the fantastic service by il CApo himself... waht an experience!
One of the best restaurants we've ever been to and my three courses desserts were not from this World - amazing!
I have known my wife for 23 years, who's not into sweets (!) but this was a first, she liked (loved) the taste of mine and finished it off!
They make extensive use of herbs and interesting combinations... it's a case of letting yourself go with the flow and enjoy the dishes which escape the kitchen.
For some it might be a little pricy, but considering what you get and the quality, it's more than worth every cent!
We will be back!

Pros: best food ever, best service ever, best dinner in 2012
Cons: none, none, none
JulesID
JulesID

Vegan option

Posted on 10 / 08 / 2011

Excellent food from a gracious and informative owner. He accomodated my vegan requirement among a group of non-vegans. Highly recommended.

Pros: Vegan option, Owner, Atmosphere
Kaznjen
Kaznjen

lovely meal

Posted on 12 / 03 / 2008

I coerced my colleagues to join me at Betty's whilst traveling from the US to Amsterdam for a conference. Everyone enjoyed the lovingly prepared, organic food. Our host was quite knowledgeable about each of the ingredients, where they were grown, and their preperation. It was delish. We will dine here again before we leave. Highly recommended!

Pros: organic food, knowledgeable staff, formal veg
wellread
wellread

best high-end veggie in Amsterdam

Posted on 05 / 04 / 2008

This isn't a place I've been to that often, but it's the best for a special occasion in my opinion. Birthdays, anniversaries. My partner and I are both vegan, and this place is accommodating to that, especially if you call ahead. They have daily menus, so they will tell you what's possible that day for vegans.

Pros: good food, friendly, no smoking
Cons: pricey, variety

Dear Owner and Manager of Betty's Vegetarian Restaurant: