Serves meat, veg options available. Menu includes some vegetarian dishes, has a vegan tofu scramble. Nice dining area. A breakfast and brunch kind of place. Price: Moderate more-less
Ovo, Lacto, American, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg
370 Virginia St (downtown Buffalo)
Buffalo, New York 14201
716-362-0633

First Review by Lily
shirley1
shirley1

So good we ate here twice in two days

4 Posted on 01 / 03 / 2013

One would think visiting Buffalo would present a challenge for vegan/gluten free customers but Betty's saves the day.
Our first meal was a breakfast and my husband and I had the Scrambled Tofu Hash which was very tasty,generous portion size and quite delicious.The only downside was the gluten free toast had diary in it but the meal was quite sufficient without the bread.I had a salad as a side and my husband had the home fries - both were good.Our non vegan friends were very happy with their meals.
We went back the next day for lunch and I had the Black Bean Burrito without the tortilla (I am gluten free)and it was delicious.My husband had the soup of the day which was Tomato Basil which was very good and the Roasted Veggie Chick Pea Burger which was also very tasy (be aware the gluten free bun does contain dairy).
The service was very fast,friendly and eager to please.
The pricing was very reasonable and we would definitely visit again - after all we ate there twice in two days!

Pros: tasty food, good selection, reasonable pricing
NutratarianBabe
NutratarianBabe

Love Betty's!

4 Posted on 04 / 28 / 2011

I dined with a large group of friends at Betty's in March. The restaurant is warm and inviting, interesting artwork on the walls, a bar area and a kid's play area in addition to the main dining room. Very comfortable and welcoming place, excellent staff and the food is fantastic. I was the only vegetarian in my group and the rest of the people all had meat/poultry dishes that they loved, but their jaws all dropped when my entree arrived! I had a bowl of tomato lentil soup to start, good for a cold night. My Entree was a "Roasted Vegetable Salad" that had to be two pounds of wonderful fresh vegetables; lettuces, grilled peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, onions and more. I asked for the dressing on the side but didn't even need it as the salad was so flavorful on it's own. My Soup and Salad came to less than $15! Even with our large group everything arrived at the same time at the right temperature and no complaints from anyone. This is an excellent restaurant! I have no complaints.

Pros: Fantastic Food, Healthy Cuisine, Great Ambience
Amy99
Amy99

Good food, good atmosphere

4 Posted on 03 / 10 / 2009

I have been to Betty's several times, and have always been pleased. It was my favorite restaurant in Buffalo until Merge opened. I still haven't tried all the vegetarian options on thier menu--which says something about the number of choices available. In addition to several vegetarian options on thier normal menu, they always have one or two vegetarian dishes on thier list of specials. Although I've always been happy with my dishes, my meat-eating dinner companions have not been. I brought my parents here and I don't remember what my mom ordered, but she said it was only mediocre. Everyone agreed that my eggplant parmesian was the best dish of them all. I remember bringing a friend here once and her not being overly impressed, but again, I don't know what she ordered. Either they do veggie food better than carnivore food, or my standards for quality food have diminished since becoming a vegetarian (which is entirely possible--after so many years of being disappointed by the menu options and creativity put into vegetarian food at most restaurants, food now only has to be good to satisfy me). But anyway, Betty's is really good.
I usually go here for dinner, and have never had to wait and the service is usually good. I went for breakfast once, and although my tofu scramble was really good (I guess that's what everyone orders!), we had to wait a long time and the service was slow.
I love the art on the walls.

Pros: lots of veg options, tasty food
Cons: your non-veg friends may not love it, long wait for breakfast
Mvs6
Mvs6

Cute, but not enough vegan options!

2 Posted on 11 / 29 / 2008

I have only had the tofu hash, which is one of the only vegan options on the menu. The place is really cute and cozy, but it isn't great if you are vegan. The do support NPR though!

Pros: Some vegan options, tofu, good coffee
Cons: expensive, not enough vegan options
Illiniry
Illiniry

• non-vegetarian

A lukewarm first impression

2 Posted on 10 / 19 / 2008

Situated at the corner of Cottage and Virginia Streets in a residential section of Allentown, Betty's, with its cozy atmosphere and seemingly hip crowd, is a natural fit in the neighborhood surroundings. The restaurant is well lit and has a very pleasant ambiance; local art adorns brightly colored walls. I stopped in for a quick brunch on an early Sunday afternoon; most of any morning crowd that had existed earlier had now dissipated. I was pleased to find that most of the menu was vegetarian with a few vegan options. The tofu hash I ordered, however, was mediocre at best. The corn bread was very dry, semi-stale and several of the red peppers in the dish were burnt to a crisp. My waitress also forgot to bring my drink despite the fact that she was only waiting on me and two other tables. Since it was nearing closing time (3pm on Sundays), most of the staff seemed overly distracted with setting their own meals at a near-by table with an older lady, who I assume was one of the restaurant owners. Though I might have had a better experience dining earlier in the day, I was nonetheless left with a far-from-stellar first impression of a restaurant with much potential.

Pros: Beautiful ambience, ample street parking
Cons: few vegan options, closed Monday, limited Sunday hours

Lily
Lily

Great Neighborhood Restaurant

4 Posted on 10 / 12 / 2007

I live right around the corner from Betty's and used to eat there every Friday night. It's a great place, with a fantastic menu. I would say it is more than 50% vegetarian, maybe 20% vegan. The staff is fantastic as well.

Pros: Amazing vegan options, Gorgeous inside and outside, Staff is friendly and knowedgable
Cons: Sometimes very packed

Dear Owner and Manager of Betty's: