Bethesda Curry Kitchen

Serves meat, veg options available. Indian food place. Marks the veg items on the menu. Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto, Indian, Take-out, Delivery, Non-veg

First Review by cookiem
cookiem
cookiem

New addition but vegan friendly!

3 Posted on 04 / 25 / 2014

I love going to Indian restaurants when they label the vegan items! This place does just that!!! Thank you!!! In the menu introduction there is devoted language to vegetarian food- yes! So, though not a veg place, if I want vegan Indian food in Bethesda I will come here.

As for the people and the decor- lovely attentive people. The chef came to chat with me a couple times to see if I had questions or concerns and how the food tasted. Nice touch Chef Anil! All my vegan concerns were addressed, which is more than I can actually say for some other area vegetarian establishments that make me feel out of place! It's decor is new and fresh, not heavy or antiquated.

While here, I felt that everything was made freshly. Nothing was cold or old in flavor. The mulligatawny soup was a piping hot delicious blended lentil soup that hit the spot to set the tone for the meal. Pakora are usually only mediocre at best, but these were like crispy deep fried battered spinach popcorn! Try it! The samosas had a hearty filling with more depth than most. The curries are good, but they always feel heavy- here though, they do not over salt like some other places. The one thing that didn't agree with my palate was the dosa. I liked that they are all vegan, but I think the one I picked maybe was not the right one, and, well, the dosa part was a bit bland. I also wish there was a vegan spinach entree on the menu, but I believe if I asked, the chef would've made it vegan!!!

Overall, as an Indian restaurant with vegan options, it's a great choice. You can be confident that what you order will be vegan. Because it had meat, 4 cow max, but I can't say they're perfect- yet. As a new restaurant, with time, I may return and love the dosas and ask for spinach! Then maybe 4 cows will be met!

Pros: Menu marks vegan items, Spinach pakora, Vegan options abound!!!
Cons: You know there's meat here, No vegan desserts

Dear Owner and Manager of Bethesda Curry Kitchen: