CLOSED: Bernie's L.A. Cafe

Serves meat, veg options available. Latin American cafe offers some vegan items and many vegetarian items. AUG 2013 REPORTED SHUT DOWN, PHONE NOT WORKING - REMOVED. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Latin, Non-veg
1570 Alton Rd
Miami Beach, Florida 33139
305-535-8003

Open Mon-Thur, Sun 10am-10pm, Fri-Sat 10am-11pm.

First Review by SynthVegan
sglcklch
sglcklch

Solid food, rough service

Posted on 02 / 06 / 2013

Had the black bean and rice bowl with fried plantains, and added avocado, caramelized onions, and grilled tofu for a protein kick. Everything was good except for the tofu, which was really just plain grilled, completely unseasoned. Also it was a bit too soft; a firmer kind would be more desirable. The four sauces they provided were perfect for spicing things up. They really brought the food up another level. My portion was average, but my friend's salad was huge. My partner got the cuatro leche as well for dessert but wasn't impressed.

Judging only by the food I had, I'd give it a 4 out of 5. But the service was kind of rough and hasty, which was weird since the place wasn't even busy, so I knocked it down to a 3.

Pros: good food
Cons: service
saelbu
saelbu

Awesome vegan Cuban

Posted on 01 / 06 / 2013

We were looking for authentic Cuban cuisine while on vacation in Miami, and this is it. Lots of vegan options on the menu, although only the "vegetarian" ones are marked as such. We got the rice bowls with black beans, grilled veggies, plantains and tofu. And they provide FOUR hot sauce options. Generous portions. Casual dining. A tad pricey, but average for Miami beach. Very happy!

Pros: good food, authentic Cuban, large portions
Cons: atmosphere, neighborhood
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Bernie's L.A. Cafe

Posted on 05 / 13 / 2011

Travelling with someone that's not vegan or vegetarian can be tough, especially when they tire of your 'unique' all veg restaurant options. When you're in this situation compromise is imminent and places like Bernie's deliver. Bernie's is a Latin American inspired cafe featuring many vegetarian options as well as options for vegans. There were a few items with mock chicken in them, although I'm not sure if they are vegan (they're vegetarian at the very least), so be sure to ask. I ordered the rice and bean fajita wrap consisting of rice and beans, avocado salsa, grilled onions, and roasted red peppers - the meal also came with a small side salad. I thought the fajita was good, although I'd prefer fresh cut avocado over the avocado salsa, and that the dish was well flavored. If I lived in the area I'd likely return with a non-veg friend.

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Bernie's L.A. Cafe: