Bejing vegan restaurant. Offers organic dishes including whole grain rice, noodles, dumplings, and pancakes. Non smoking, has wi-fi internet. Directions: Subway Line 1 to Guomao Station, take Exit D, walk 50 meters west, turn left at CITC building, go south 50 meters. Name in Chinese 维根小屋. Address in Chinese 北京朝阳区建外soho 9号楼2层9213商铺. Call for hours - tell us. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Chinese, International, Organic, Fast food
Stall 0912, 2/F, Bldg 9, Jianwai Soho, 39 Dongsanhuan Zhonglu, Chaoyang District
Beijing, China 100020
+86-10-58699856

First Review by turnsleftlooksright
laurenrt4
laurenrt4

Healthy Vegan Restaurant in Beijing

Posted on 12 / 21 / 2014

So happy to have this restaurant in Beijing offering healthy 100% vegan food with amazing raw spaghetti and tomato sauce! Little oil, salt and no MSG so it's great to not only enjoy veganised Chinese dishes like dumplings and stir fries but to have them prepared healthily. The food is home cooked style and the value for money is excellent. I have found some dishes bland but I've also tasted the most flavourful raw vegan food here so try a few dishes. One thing I definitely think needs improvement is the homemade ice cream - it's really not convincing to non vegans that they won't miss the dairy alternative and I think they could do a much better job. Even frozen bananas blended in a vitamix would be more pleasant. Wonderful service, our waiter was really friendly and mentioned he'd spent time in the us so if you don't speak Chinese, you'll have no trouble.
A little hard to find but check out the pictures on happy cow before visiting and you shouldn't have trouble.

Pros: Healthy, Price, Raw food
Cons: Ice cream
nickb
nickb

Wonderful selection of vegan food

Posted on 11 / 06 / 2014

I've been to this restaurant a number of times and the food is always delicious & excellent value. Highly recommended vegan restaurant if in Beijing.

Pros: Fresh juice available, Delicious food, 100% vegan
Quetzal
Quetzal

simple food but good flavours

Posted on 10 / 04 / 2014

Simple, vegan food, nothing too adventurous but fresh and nice flavours.

Pros: fresh food, tasty food

jasonlheath
jasonlheath

Excellent Vegan Restaurant

Posted on 07 / 26 / 2014

This restaurant offers a wide range of vegan foods at a convenient location close to the subway station Guomao. The food is lightly seasoned enabling the taste of the food to come through. They also have a range of smoothies.

Pros: Good food, Nice decor
veganbananatree
veganbananatree

Healthy

Posted on 06 / 29 / 2014

I was there not too long ago. The service was really nice and pretty fast. Most if not all of their ingredients are fresh and organic. The restaurant focuses on health foods, I think their menu is centered around Mc Dougall style low fat high carb diet. The fact that it is so healthy and low oil, low salt I think is the reason many people say the taste is bland, but if you usually don't use so much salt it tastes pretty good ! I talked to the owner, he said his next step would be to improve the taste of his food while keeping it healthy. They do have raw vegan options like smoothies and zucchini spaghetti that was pretty good. I would definitively go back :)

Pros: Raw vegan options, Price, Service
Cons: little hard to find
soph
soph

Quiet and peaceful

Posted on 10 / 24 / 2013

I came here for lunch and had some fresh juice and gyoza dumplings. Food was tasty, especially the juice, and they gave me so much- too much food for one person. It was hard for me to find this place, but once you get to the SOHO buildings, you just have to find building number 9 (there seems to be two buildings that are 9- go to the bigger one that is next to the main road). It is on the second floor, in the corner. It was very quiet when I was there- I sat and read my book while I ate. The people are very nice.

Pros: Good price, nice quiet place, friendly staff
vegangirl13
vegangirl13

Nice food, slow service

Posted on 09 / 09 / 2013

Service staff was happy to help

Pros: Healthy food, Very tasty, English menu/waiters
Cons: Slow Service but happy to help, Forgot one dish
bluepaper
bluepaper

vegan hut with potential

Posted on 09 / 03 / 2013

This restaurant is really cute - after we finally found it. we came for lunch and soon all the empty seats were taken - a good sign.
But we couldn't order one third that was offered in the menu. Some portions might have been a little bigger, e.g. the quiche (which wasn't even hot, but just lukewarm) and also the mulberry cake (very delicious, hot served but looked terribly miserable).
In the end the restaurant appeared some kind of inconsistent to us. It wasn't too bad, but not the kind highlight we probably expected.

Pros: very nice atmosphere
Cons: Many dishes not available
schumacher62
schumacher62

for a late lunch

Posted on 08 / 25 / 2013

we came at about 230pm, and were the only clients they served the whole time we were there, we a party of two. the menu is vast and varied, and all four items we ordered arrived made fresh and looked it as well. we had the chinese pancake, the beet salad, the clear soup and the baked tofu cutlet. the tofu was fried though.

not wanting to turn away any customers from a much needed vegan experience in beijing, ill simply say the food was not bland, not at all, but was extremely salty. especially the fried tofu and the pancake, super extra salty. a major turn-off, i wish they could address this issue soon. nothing was oily or greasy, and aside from some left over supreme master lithographs, there was nothing but the interior colors saying "loving hut."

we were served by a early 20's couple, both very sleepy and both helpful in their english. service, given we were the only clients, was a bit slow all around.

i wish them the best. i would return if i was again in the area, for certain. i hope they work out the salt issue.

Pros: close by the subway, helpful young wait staff.
Cons: 2nd floor and poor airconditioning
form
form

Love this place!

Posted on 07 / 30 / 2013

I ate here three times on my recent visit to Beijing. I'm very happy with the menu's fresh take on vegan/asian & western fusion.

Pros: Reasonable Price, Dessert, Fresh Flavours
Atomicpen
Atomicpen

great

Posted on 07 / 03 / 2013

Reasonable prices, helpful staff . No signs in English but good directions on happy cow. You will have to ask passerbys

Cons: no signs in English
stefano56
stefano56

Quiet atmosphere

Posted on 05 / 25 / 2013

This is just to say that the restaurant is still there and open (recently I had a couple of bad surprises). It's in a nice modern area and the restaurant is quite nice and peaceful (but we were almost the only clients). The waitress was very nice and helpful and I think she could speak some english (I was with a Chinese friend, so no real need).
We only tried three dishes and they were quite OK. The price was good.

Pros: Quiet place, Good food, Nice service
Cons: Not so easy to find
anarchistanimal
anarchistanimal

Good, inexpensive, comfortable

Posted on 03 / 01 / 2013

This unpretentious place has a nice cafe-like atmosphere. The food is good value, tasty and not too oily like some places. The workers aren't super friendly, but they speak some English and let you stay for hours if you like. Also, English on the menu.

Pros: Good food, Inexpensive , Comfortable cafe
Cons: Brusque workers
psiphi75
psiphi75

good but not the best

Posted on 11 / 16 / 2012

The food was bland. But otherwise good and fresh. The desserts felt like they had been sitting around for a while.

Pros: organic healthy food, friendly staff
Cons: stale desserts
Minni
Minni

Good, inexpensive vegan food

Posted on 09 / 12 / 2012

So far my favourite vegan restaurant in Beijing. The food is inexpensive and tasty, staff is friendly and you even get vegan ice cream, which I haven't seen anywhere else. Downstairs is a small vegan store that sells Scheese vegan cheeses among other things.

Pros: inexpensive, vegan ice cream, friendly staff
mumpsimus
mumpsimus

affordable but a bit bland

Posted on 07 / 11 / 2011

Super friendly owner and staff. They kept the kitchen open for me and my friend even though we came in way too late. The food is quite unusual for a Chinese vegetarian restaurant. Not a lot of mock meat dishes, mixture of Western and Eastern food. Given the super friendly staff and the nice atmosphere, I really wanted to like the food more than I did. The kebabs were good, the spring rolls were decent, the rest of the food was not that great. The soymilk mango shake was almost flavourless, the Seitan and Tofu dishes were rather chewy, the baozi didn't have a lot of taste to them. This tasted too much like health food to me.
Very affordable prices for a vegetarian restaurant in Beijing.
I will be back but not my first choice in town.

Pros: friendly staff, great service, affordable
Cons: food a bit bland
tash
tash

...

Posted on 11 / 10 / 2010

this restaurant is great. the owner was really friendly and happy to learn we were vegans from england who had heard about the place on happycow. the portions were quite good and the mock duck pancakes were really tasty, and i have eaten a LOT of mock duck pancakes. they even gave us a couple of vegan cookies for free at the end of our meal! also, the restaurant itself was beautiful, cosy and comfortable.

jamaicaninchina
jamaicaninchina

GREAT!!!

Posted on 10 / 01 / 2010

I love this place! The food is organic and vegan and tastes great!

The directions on HappyCow.net were helpful and good, but it still might be a bit hard to find for new visitors to Beijing. So, I'm going to post some photos to make it a bit easier to find. First of all, when you get to the Guomao train station, it makes a difference if you are on the #10 or the #1 line. Both trains go to GuoMao, but the exit you want is closer to the #1 line, so, if you find yourself on the #10 line, you may NOT see any exit signs for Exit D. What you'll need to do is follow the signs as if you are transferring to the #1 line before exiting. Once you exit from D, walk straight through the little grassy area and you'll see the sign in the photo for Hengui East Road. You'll notice there is also a sign for "Jinwai Soho 1-9." That's what you're looking for. Vegan hut is in Soho building 9.

Go left, walk to the end of the street, cross the street, and start looking up to the second floor until you see the what I've shown in the second photo. Find the escalator, go upstairs, make a sharp right, and you shouldn't miss it. Say hello to Mr. Yu, and tell him the Walt (not Bolt) the Jamaican sent you!

Pros: Vegan, organic
Cons: a little tricky to find for newbies
jrfishe1
jrfishe1

Not very tasty food

Posted on 03 / 31 / 2010

I only went here once, but I found the food to mostly be not very good. The spring rolls were tasty (pretty much like any fresh spring rolls), but the "vietnamese seitan w/ vegetables" just tasted like iffy seitan with a bit of hot sauce, and maybe 1/10 of a red pepper, and the tofu with soy meat was salty but pretty flavorless. The pear lily juice was a big glass of gritty paste.

The service was surprisingly bad. I had to get up and go find someone every time I wanted something (to order, to get more water, to get the check). Even then it was really slow.

They are all vegan, which is really nice in Beijing, and they have an English menu (also nice), but I found the food to be really disappointing. Maybe I just had bad luck with my dishes, but I don't think I'd be likely to go back.

Pros: Vegan, English menu
Cons: Food not good, Cash only, Bad service
Guest
Guest

lovely place!

Posted on 01 / 10 / 2010

I loved this restaurant, the price is reasonable and the food is good. Atmosphere is very simple, location convenient. Suitable for young people to hang out as well. Definitely one of my favorite places in Beijing.

Pros: nice neighborhood, reasonable price, good food
JesseD
JesseD

Good Vegan Restaurant

Posted on 08 / 02 / 2009

I ate at Vegan Hut three times during my five days in Beijing, including one takeaway meal. It is easy to find and get to, being close to a subway station in the centre of the business district of Beijing (somewhere a traveller probably doesn't really need to go to), and has a good range of delicious, healthy and well-priced meals. Staff are helpful and efficient, and some speak good English. If you just want a quick, safe, veg'n meal, and then to move on to sights or activities in Beijing, this is a very good option.

Pros: Good food, Easy to find and get to, Cheap
Cons: Decor is limited
kwanza
kwanza

very nice little restaurant

Posted on 07 / 24 / 2009

Excellent little cafe-style restaurant, although it's not much to look at. Very large menu, including lots of soya meat dishes. I would recommend the fried aubergine with basil. Staff are friendly and speak fairly good English.

Pros: Extensive menu, Friendly staff, Tasty food
Cons: Limited space for large groups, Slightly difficult to find
Amanda
Amanda

Great vegan food

Posted on 03 / 07 / 2009

The decor of this place isn't much, better at lunchtime than in the evening as it's on the second floor of a partly empty and bit shabby high rise, but the food is well worth it. We tried the fresh Vietnamese spring rolls and the spicy veggie fillet which were both excellent. We also had Mapo Doufu and a good potato and fake meat curry. The menu was an interesting mix of Asian and western dishes. Prices are very good and the service very friendly. It's nice to know that everything on the menu is vegan, as a lot of Chinese vegetarian restaurants use milk in their desserts. Here they offer soy ice cream, although we didn't try it.

Pros: Tasty and intesting dishes, Good prices, Totally vegan
Cons: Atmosphere/decor
turnsleftlooksright
turnsleftlooksright

The highlight of our Beijing food experience

Posted on 01 / 07 / 2009

Veganhut is a cosy cafe/restaurant tucked away in the Soho 9 shopping complex, and believe me, it is a real gem. The food was amazing, so fresh and imaginative, and service was speedy. It has a relaxed atmosphere which allows you to savour your food, and the staff are very friendly, ehlpful, and speak good English. If you go, it's really work trying the soya pancakes - they are truly amazing! Extremely reasonable price and generous portions. Fantastic :o)

Pros: Really fresh and tasty food, Friendly staff, Relaxed atmosphere

Dear Owner and Manager of Beijing Vegan Hut: