Hamburg's first 100% vegan fast food restaurant, located in St. Pauli. Serves burgers, fish and chips, kebab, the famous German curry wurst, fried chocolate bars and a lot more. Closed Mon. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, American, International, Fast food
Friedrichstrasse 3-5
Hamburg, Germany 20359

Tue-Thu 12:00pm-10:00pm, Fri 5:00pm-1:00am, Sat 12:00pm-1:00am, Sun 12:00pm-10:00pm

First Review by AudreyB
veganiner
veganiner

Disappointed

2 Posted on 09 / 08 / 2014

We love fast food so we were hyped to go to BeFried.
We had the Big Veg burger and regular burger and we were very disappointed.
The burger patties are probably the most important thing on a burger - they tasted SO bad. They were SO greasy/oily and absolutely unenjoyable.
The overall atmosphere was very "dark" and we didn't enjoy it, unfortunately.
When we asked for sweet potato fries (very common in vegan restaurants) they gave us a strange look.
Too bad. Hope they will improve.

Cons: atmosphere, friendliness, interior
GingerheadMan
GingerheadMan

Best in Hamburg

5 Posted on 09 / 06 / 2014

I have made two trips to Hamburg and have pretty much eaten here exclusively because it is so good. I am pretty sure the staff really got tired of seeing me. It is straight up fast food and fantastically so. So far I have had the Doner, Schnitzel, and Currywurst. All were great and it makes it hard to choose what to pick when I go back. I am making a trip back to Hamburg in a few weeks and looking forward to getting to go here again. For those visiting, there isn't an English version of the menu but everyone who works there speaks english and is super friendly and helpful.
Updated from previous review on Saturday September 06, 2014

Anneloes
Anneloes

Nice 'ham'burgers

3 Posted on 09 / 03 / 2014

Last week we went to Befried. We liked the 'ham'burgers and fries, and loved the 'knobi' (garlic mayo)! The staff didn't really listen to us: we asked for sauces on the side (not on top of the fries. But it still was on top, so our fries were partially soft. And one of us asked a 'ham' burger without vegan cheese but got the cheese anyway. We asked for a new 'ham'burger, which was given without a hassle. What we didn't like is the location: it's nearby Reeperbahn, very loud and busy area with lots of 'streetgirls' and drunk people.

Pros: nice 'ham'burgers
Cons: area/ location, interior

SimonGruber
SimonGruber

amazing place

5 Posted on 09 / 02 / 2014

this small vegan restaurant is located near the reeperbahn, very central in hamburg. they sell all kinds of vegan fastfood like vegan döner, burgers, jägerschnitzel or currywurst! i recommend this place very much! the food was excellent and the crew was very friendly! thumbs up!

Pros: location
AndyDavies
AndyDavies

Brilliant vegan food

5 Posted on 08 / 19 / 2014

More of a fast food place, rather than a restaurant (although you can sit in at the back). The food was very good, the portions were huge and we went there a few times as it was the best place we found in Hamburg for good vegan food.

Pros: Great food, Big Portions, Good ethics
joegevans
joegevans

I was the vegan Elvis

5 Posted on 08 / 05 / 2014

I set up a Happy Cow account just to review this place.

Having been in Hamburg for about 36 hours on a stag do and having not eaten a thing the whole time I decided to head for this place. Wow. I took one look and realised I needed everything. Having ordered 4 mains, the first of which being an ultra massive burger, I sat down and the deluge began.

The food here is proper junk food. The burger was the biggest slimeyest most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. It was joke massive and contained about half the world's vegan meat. I loved it. The fish and chips were brilliant. The kebab was massive. It was mostly decent seitan and not cheaper alternatives.

Staff were amazing even though my friend passed out before his food arrived and I was a dribbling drunk who ordered 4 meals and couldn't finish one. The staff kindly put all the leftover stuff in takeaway boxes.

It's great value too. You couldn't spend much even if you tried.

Thank you Befried, although I almost died through over-indulgence you fed me the best vegan fast food I've ever had.

Pros: AMAZING proper junk food, Insanely good value, Patient, funny, tolerant staff
AgaTrzak
AgaTrzak

Great

5 Posted on 07 / 26 / 2014

Amazing little place. Seating at the back. Staff was friendly. The food was very tasty. We had the cheese burger and kebab which both exceeded our expectations. Side of chips and many sauces to chose from.
Plus, lots of activist literature to read inside.
It was easy to find and the location is right off the Reeperbahn.

Pros: Tasty, Activist-orientated, Nice Staff
Moti Azu
Moti Azu

Awesome

5 Posted on 05 / 09 / 2014

Food is delicious with no exceptions.
Friendly staff, good prices.

Pros: fairly priced, tasty, all vegan!
LunaBooBoo
LunaBooBoo

It is always closed!

2 Posted on 03 / 30 / 2014

Fist it is difficult to find and is in an unsafe area. Second, we have tried to eat there at least 4 times, it is NEVER open.
The menu sounds awesome, but getting there is an ordeal especially if you check the opening times and are disappointed.

Pros: Menu sounds great
Cons: Never Open
HannesRR
HannesRR

good Fast Food

4 Posted on 03 / 08 / 2014

I had the Schnitzel and it tasted good.

Pros: nice staff, affordable
Cons: most food fried ;)
elrujo
elrujo

SHOP & RESTAURANT GOOD

4 Posted on 02 / 27 / 2014

great people working there, good vibes

also their little shop close by , go and c

good variety of vegan ,vegan raw food

Pros: warm people, good variety
Cons: tiny
halmill
halmill

einfach toll!

5 Posted on 02 / 21 / 2014

so I started with the burger with cheese topped with cabbage, pickles, mustartd, ketchup and deep-fried onions, followed by the currywurst which was a giant sausage swimming in currywurst sauce on a plate sprinkled with curry powder. By then I had given up on my water and ordered a beer at which time I also had a sample of the seitan kebab meat (which they have on the traditional 'meat stick' as in any kebab shop). So, I had to order a kebab as well which was enormous, densely packed with lots of great kebab-meat. tzatziki sauce, red cabbage and veggies. Wow I was full. I simply had no room for the deep-fried chocolate bars to say nothing of the marshmallows.

This place is now on the top of my list for serious vegan fast-food. Its a step above Veggiegrill in California, and is on par with The Chicago Diner. Its better than East Side Burger in Paris. Not to say they're not great but I think Befried really gets the idea of late-night munchie grub where East Side is a little better for lunch. They have a sister store down the road (BEVEGANEND?) which is well stocked with lots of vegan products.

Go Here!

jencompgeek
jencompgeek

And the winner is....

5 Posted on 02 / 04 / 2014

We have been traveling Europe for 2 months now, and this was by far the best veggie burger we've had the entire trip (and we've had quite a few!) The fries with garlic mayo were also delicious. The food was inexpensive, the dining area was clean and nice for a fast food place, and the staff were friendly. We couldn't ask for anything better. HIghly recommended!

Pros: delicious burger, inexpensive, friendly staff
AudreyB
AudreyB

best vegan burger ever

5 Posted on 01 / 28 / 2014

Befried serves great vegan fast food at very fair prices.
The staff is extremely friendly and the place crowded with people that all seem to order the schnitzel with chips. I had a burger and baked cheese which both were super delicious!!!
I definitely have to come back for the schnitzel, though ;)

Pros: great food (the burgers!!), friendly staff, fair prices

Dear Owner and Manager of Befried: