Beetroot Stories Cafe

This vegetarian restaurant is behind Wawee Coffee Shop Kad Klangwiang. Offers many vegan menu items. A sampling of the food: avocado sandwiches with pineapple and tomatoes, grilled vegetable sandwiches with pesto sauce, mussamun curry with pineapple, potatoes and carrots, stir fry cashew nuts with pineapple and bell pepper, boiled beetroot with pesto sauce, olive oil and vinegar, hot cappuccino with coconut milk. Closed Mon-Tue third week of month. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Thai, Western, Fusion

First Review by Davemeredith
reissausta ja ruokaa
reissausta ja ruokaa

Nice cafe, good sandwich

4 Posted on 03 / 29 / 2014

This is a nice cafe situated in a park-like yard surrounded by many small restaurants.

The pesto is vegan (at least when I asked) and I had sandwich with pesto, avocado and tomato. It was good and came with a bit of salad with pineapple dressing. I did not check if the bread was vegan, as toasts usually are not in Thailand.

I would be even nicer if vegan foods would be marked in the menu :)

Pros: good sandwich, peacefull location, nice little restaurant
robbie5050
robbie5050

Food glorious food go try it

5 Posted on 06 / 25 / 2013

How anyone can say a negative word about this place is beyond me. I have now visited it three times in last 7 or 8 days and have tried almost the entire menu including all the juices and everything was mouthwatering.

The owner is so cool and speaks perfect English and loves to talk and tell her story. Place is open just over a year and seems to be doing quite well, I hope so anyway as she makes great food and excellent juices and coffee.

The veggie toasted sandwich is wonderful, all the rice dishes are also excellent.

This is one of the best organic cafes in Chiangmai.

Well worth a visit , you'll be back for more.

Pros: Owner is cook, Nice Location , Nice decor
Cons: none
GeneGene
GeneGene

Nice eclectic vegetarian cafe

5 Posted on 02 / 17 / 2013

Some of the negative reviews here may be from tourists who don't really get the idea of a small restaurant with an owner who is the main person working all the time. I've been here for many good meals and have seen a number of rude tourists who don't understand the concept. This is a really nice place with really good food. The curries are tasty, the sandwiches and salads are as good as one might find in London or elsewhere for a fraction of the cost, the juices are rich, and the prices are comparable to other farang-oriented places. You will have to be patient for your order to arrive, as everything is made from scratch as far as I have seen. The one downside is that no alcohol is sold, but that's hardly an issue considering you could get a drink elsewhere beforehand.

Pros: healthy and tasty, food made from scratch, nice owner
Cons: no alcohol served
  • agentbey agentbey

I know that we all do our best to be pleasant vegetarians. In my view the reviews are honest responses.

We don't have to say "tourists" as if they don't understand how small business work. That is no excuse. Food business is not easy. I live here and I think Beet Root Cafe can use some improvement.

Vegetarian for Life!

DinaLun
DinaLun

Nice small veg place

4 Posted on 02 / 16 / 2013

The place is small, but cozy. Nice salads with healthy dressings. But we're not impressed with the smoothies: they're too cold (in case if you ask do not add ice) and overwatered. The prices are ok. Veg but not organic. Note: there is a mistake in the happy cow's map - it's located two blocks to the east from the mark.

AmericanPhil
AmericanPhil

fresh and made to order

4 Posted on 02 / 01 / 2013

Good food made fresh to order. The owner is very stressed but kind. Made a mistake and offered us that dish free when we didn't eat it. Great juices and good vegan options. Good atmosphere but its changed a lot since some of the employes left. Hopefully they get back on track. Good prices :) eat the beet root salad

Pros: good food, made fresh, beets!!!
Cons: inconsistent hours, inconsistent food

agentbey
agentbey

The Beet Story

3 Posted on 01 / 26 / 2013

My first time going to Beetroot was good. The panang was tasty with fresh vegetables. Not the best in the city though but good. My coconut milk, banana, chocolate smoothie was good too. I went the second time for lunch and they were closed. No sign posted. The third time I went to get the same smoothie and the quality was not as good. More ice than coconut milk. The staff person might have been new. Hence, the average smoothie.

Fourth time I was disappointed. I requested massaman with no onions. And I got onions. But the thing that got me was that it was not freshly made. It scooped out from a hidden dish somewhere. It looked liked something that was made from the day before. And barely any vegetables.

As I was spooning through the massaman curry I saw onions. The staff person rushed over and said I'm sorry you said no onions. She took the food back. At this point I thought she would make a fresh bowl of massaman. But I noticed she ducked out of sight behind the counter. I walked over to checked and she was picking out the onions.

I just told her if it was cooked with onions that I would like to cancel that order and get something else. My intuition at that point was to leave. But I stayed.

So the owner pops in and says hi. She remembered me from the other visits. She said, "You are lucky you came on time. I was going to closed early." Hmmm, I'm lucky?

Alright, veggie business owners never do this. It shows the customers that you are not committed to serving the vegetarian community and its not compassionate to when customers are looking for a trusted source to eat when traveling.

So the owner makes stir-fried vegetables with cashews and pineapples. Mouthwatering just thinking about it as I heard it being made. My smoothies came and it was watery. So basically hardly any coconut milk was added with more ice and water. 50 baht of half goodness.

The stir fried came and the veggies were swimming in broth. Tasted good but mmmm. Where are the vegetables? For 70 baht I should have more that 1/8 cup of vegetables.

Review:
Average food not well proportioned for the price.

Pros: Good Location
Tofulicious
Tofulicious

Worst Tom Kha I've Ever Had

2 Posted on 09 / 24 / 2012

When I discovered this place, I was looking forward to finally having a *vegan* (as opposed to 'vegan-with-shrimp-paste') genuine Thai soup. To say that I was disappointed is an extreme understatement. What was promoted as 'Tom Kha' was in fact half a very small bowl of coconut cream with SOOO much salt in it (presumably to replace the galangal, kaffir lime, lemongrass, garlic and chilli that were missing) that it was inedible. I've rarely left anything on my plate, ever; love soup; and hate wasting money; but after scooping out the few vegetables, I left the brine-like liquid for the staff to deposit it where it belonged, down the drain. The juice was nice though.

Pros: Nice juices, friendly staff
Cons: terrible, terrible food, too much salt, vastly overpriced
MrGoto
MrGoto

delicious

4 Posted on 07 / 14 / 2012

If I hadn't seen this place on Happy Cow I wouldn't have looked twice at the sign. It's set back from the street in a well kept garden courtyard. I had a green curry veges and my wife had stir fry veges with cashew nuts. Both were served with steamed brown rice which was a nice change from all the white rice we'd been eating. It's better than the brown rice at home as well, more like wild rice! Both meals were delicious and we will eat there again before we leave. I also had a cappuccino with coconut milk and liked it a lot, the coffee is percolated, not espresso. The lack of froth and cocoa powder meant it was more of a flat white but it was a nice change from soy milk. Water on ice was placed on our table when we sat down but no one else was drinking theirs so we didn't either just in case, we didn't ask if it was purified or not. There's some good choices on the menu, I will upload a photo when I can!

Pros: tasty food, clean shop, good price
foodcircles.org
foodcircles.org

Delicious Beetroot Salad!

5 Posted on 07 / 03 / 2012

The salads at Beetroot Stories is a lovely change from the standard menus in Chiang Mai's veggie cafes. I had the beetroot salad twice, it was a big portion of boiled beetroot with cashews and a drizzle of olive oil, and had a delicious dollop of pesto in the middle. Beetroot Stories is a little hidden behind Wawee Coffee on Ratchadamnon but really central. She also serves breakfast (coffee with coconut milk!) and all the food is organic, sourced from local farms and vegetarian.

Pros: cosy little store, organic and vegetarian, friendly owner and staff
psiphi75
psiphi75

Great fresh food

4 Posted on 06 / 21 / 2012

We ate here a couple of times. Food was very good and the shakes / juices were excellent. Try the pineapple+banana+peanut butter shake, it's awesome!

Pros: Great food, Excellent shakes
Cons: Not much seating
claireabella
claireabella

Good healthy fresh food

4 Posted on 05 / 17 / 2012

I found this cafe by accident as I was looking for the Tien Sieng Taiwanese restaurant. (Unsucessfully and I had looked for it twice. Shame as it sounded good.)
Beetroot is located in a new corner shopping/eating area. The cafe is cute and quite small. There is a huge hand painted beetroot on one of the walls.
The staff were very friendly. I was pushed for time so I ordered a salad and a juice(beetroot, apple and lime... I think). The salad had a lot of variety and was very tasty. The highlight was the cashew, garlic and lime dressing. Seriously yum and really brought the whole dish together.
They have their own organic farm where all the fresh produce is sourced. How fantastic! I think you can visit there too.
If I had more time in Chaing Mai I would have returned to try out more more of their dishes.

Pros: Friendly staff, Fresh healthy food, Farm sourced vegies
Cons: Not a huge menu
PeaceOut
PeaceOut

Nice place

4 Posted on 03 / 10 / 2012

Simple clean cafe easily located in courtyard. Supporting organic and local farmers. Fresh juices and coffee drinks. Portions are a bit small but it is quality unlike some other places I've eaten at in town. Good sandwiches with vegan pesto.

ursulargh
ursulargh

Yummy food, welcoming staff, good atmosphere

5 Posted on 02 / 02 / 2012

I have been here several times and will continue going back. All food I have tried here (vegan) has been really nice, the quality of fruit/veg they use is evident. They make a great fruit shake which is a good size too.

pavotrouge
pavotrouge

best sandwich in the world!

5 Posted on 12 / 07 / 2011

Try the avocado-tomato pineapple sandwich with ginger dressing, it was massive and blew my mind! Lovely staff, good portion sizes and a nice mixture of snacks and Thai classics. Obviously prices can't compete with cheap noodle stalls but it's so worth the money!

Davemeredith
Davemeredith

Nice food

3 Posted on 10 / 30 / 2011

We went hereforlunch. This is a fairly new place and the owner is trying hard to make a go of it. Her rent is quite high and as it's a small place it's not that easy. She has an interesting menu whichcaters for both tourists and Thais. They make a lot of the items fresh for customers. The portions are a bit mean I'm afraid and I think that will hurt the number of customers who return and maybe the viability ofthe venture in the long run.

Pros: Fresh food, Good location, Menu for Thais and westerners
Cons: Small portions

Dear Owner and Manager of Beetroot Stories Cafe: