The vegetarian buffet offers around 10 hot dishes alongside seasonal salads. Choose a small, medium, or large box and fill it with the food you want. Mostly vegan. Also has wheat-free and gluten-free items. Smoothies and juices are made-to-order. Cakes are made-in-house. Serves fair-trade coffee plus teas and herbals. Funky seating area inside. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, British, English, Western, Buffet, Salad bar, Bakery, Juice bar, Take-out
92 Berwick Street, Soho, London
London, England W1F 0QD
0871-0752709

Open Mon-Fri 9am-9pm, Sat 11am-9pm.

First Review by baratron
anniek2409
anniek2409

In love!!

5 Posted on 08 / 12 / 2014

Very similar to Iydea in Brighton - choose a size of box and ask what food you want to load into it. Plenty of vegan options (just ask the staff) including muffins and other small desserts. Very cheap, tasty and very nice staff.

Pros: Nice food, Good vegan selection, Cheap
Cons: Not a lot of sitting area
TMcC
TMcC

Great little find in Soho!

5 Posted on 08 / 02 / 2014

I've been to Beatroot about four times now and would highly recommend it. There's always a great variety of main dishes and salads, and the portions are generous. The juices are freshly made and taste great. A fantastic little find in Soho!

Pros: Healthy, Large portions, Fresh food
Vegan Claire
Vegan Claire

Nice little place

4 Posted on 04 / 25 / 2014

Had lunch here today with a friend and we are both vegan. Everything bar a couple of dishes were vegan and there was a lot of choice. I had a medium box which seemed small....until I tried to eat it all! The staff were helpful and piled our boxes high with food which was very tasty. I think if people want food cooked to order and not sat under heat lamps, they'll wait longer and pay more. Nice lunchtime treat. Will definitely go back

Pros: Choice of dishes, Delicious food, Quick service
Cons: Can't think of any
christopherjboyce
christopherjboyce

Nice enough for a quick feed up if passing through

3 Posted on 03 / 29 / 2014

Food was good and lots of variety. Choices were mostly vegan. I didn't find it very easily though as the numbers go up on one side of the road and down on the other - I was confused but obvious once I figured that out. Not very comfy seating.

Pros: Many vegan options
Cons: Not the most comfortable seating
bananaspender
bananaspender

Hearty, filling lovely food!

5 Posted on 10 / 30 / 2013

This is where you go when you want to eat NOW and eat well! You will get a HUGE portion of food but you can take the rest home if you cant finish it! You get to choose between cold and hot foods so there if something for everyone.The desserts are usually vegan too so you wont be left out! The service is always very friendly too which is always a huge plus! Its in a fabulous location so if you are visiting London its definitely a must!

Pros: Cheap but good quality food , Yummy , You can take it away with you!

KatieBatty
KatieBatty

Okay dessert

3 Posted on 08 / 20 / 2013

My partner went in late one night for some dessert. We both got the chocolate crackles. They were a bit dry and had raisins in them. Plus it was REALLY dark chocolate. They sold some banana soy milks - my partner had one. The crackles were tasty but not amazing. The staff asked us if we were sure we wanted to dine in - they seemed quite keen to get rid of us even though it wasn't anywhere near closing time.

Pros: Vegan options
Cons: Staff a bit rude
gin_and_tonic
gin_and_tonic

Bustling Soho, calm

4 Posted on 07 / 17 / 2013

A cool, small caffe in the heart of Soho. Its another pick and mix place, with about a dozen or so different things to choose from. You choose the size of the box and they fill it up with whatever you want.
The food was good, with several raw and light dishes, which were perfect as it was a hot sticky day. There are hot dishes as well, but those are for another day.
The staff are friendly and the place is clean. They make a point about using sustainable electricity and they seem to be pretty keen on being eco friendly. A good place to watch the world go by.

Pros: Good food, Good location
Aiden Shaw
Aiden Shaw

instant and nutricious

5 Posted on 01 / 07 / 2013

This is a simple little cafe, with simple, good, basic, no nonsense, cheap food. It's great for popping into. they have few dishes, but always the ones i want, these include raw-wise; vegan coleslaw, juicy grated beetroot, carrot etc, - cooked roast mixed vegetables (the tasty ones), shepherdess pie, lentil bake etc. In addition they have a good selection of juices & some sugar free deserts.

Pros: cheap, bright, easy
Cons: none, none, none
bencamps
bencamps

An Institution

5 Posted on 11 / 17 / 2012

I've been going to Beatroot for years, it's probably the first vegi place I found in London. The reason I keep going back is that this place is so cool. The food is cheap, tasty and healthy. There's always planty of vegan options no matter what time of the day you visit. Over the years the various staff have always been helpful and friendly. I don't understand the negative reviews on Happy Cow, maybe people expect too much for around a fiver? Nearly every time I get the medium size box I end up carrying it around for half a day due to the generosity of the portions. It's been going now for 15 years, I hope they continue for many years more!

Pros: Very vegan friendly, Cheap, Good food
Cons: Can get too busy to get a seat
Rosa and Joe
Rosa and Joe

beatroot

2 Posted on 08 / 05 / 2012

Sorry to be negative about a veggie place, but not sure why this place is getting four stars. The savoury food is ok but nothing special and not cheap for what it is - it's all sitting under heat lamps, not freshly cooked. The vegan cakes we tried were terrible - really dry and tasteless, almost inedible. The coffee was undrinkable dishwater. Gives veganism a bad name. If we were desperate and in a hurry we might go back for a salad.

s_k_
s_k_

Decent for London

3 Posted on 03 / 22 / 2012

I like this place but don't love it. The food is fairly tasty and
priced well. The staff fill your box, but they aren't stingy at all
(even when it looks full, they offer some more). But the food isn't
wildly creative, and seems to sit under heat lamps. The 70s orange
paneling look is a bit dated and not for everyone; but the place is
really designed for takeout (even if you're eating in, your food comes
in a cardboard box with throwaway wooden utensils). In most other
cities this would be a treasure, but in London it's just middling; but
if you're on a budget, this would probably be hard to beat.

Pros: fair price, decent selection, generous quantities
Cons: not very creative, food under lamps, weak ambiance
bigbunny
bigbunny

FRESH & FUNKY: Something for everyone!

4 Posted on 02 / 02 / 2012

Fresh salads and interesting hot dishes as well. Quick & easy 'boxes' to go. Priced by 3-selection & 4-selection boxes, as I remember. Very central & convenient. Caters to vegans & raw foodist as well ... yet very popular with meat-eaters, too.

The cafe itself is cute & well-painted. Dynamic even. Funky & fabulous!

Recommended. I worked around the corner and ate there twice a week. Appreciated the freshness & diversity of food.
Updated from previous review on Thursday February 02, 2012

Pros: FRESH, Diverse changing menu, Quite a fun experience
Cons: Small
veganmiss
veganmiss

Great Take-Out

4 Posted on 12 / 28 / 2011

Small, quick, carry-out friendly, or just wanting a snack, this is the place to go. I picked up some food here several times to bring back to the dorms for dinner. Their menu may have changed a little in the past 4 years, but if memory serves me right, I had the tofu stir-fry and the curry of the day. I know I also got some form of cake there, but none of their cake's are listed as vegan on the website. I believe they rotate their food during the week too to different dishes. So, I do not think that menu is constant.

For a complete review, please see my blog here: http://veganmiss.blogspot.com/2009/03/veg-london-part-one.html

Pros: quick, vegan friendly
shapesh1ft
shapesh1ft

Take away salad bar

3 Posted on 03 / 21 / 2011

We ate here very quickly before heading for airport. Location is good and the portion sizes seem ok value for money. They didn't have warm foods ready but salads were good. Carrot cake for dessert was very tasty and moist. Atmosphere isn't that good for staying it's more a take away street food kind of place with music playing out in the background.

Pros: Ok salads, Carrot cake, Location
Cons: Atmosphere
Veronica01
Veronica01

Great idea and tasty selection

5 Posted on 08 / 22 / 2010

This restaurant does vegan food the right way, offering some healthy premade vegan options, including raw and cooked vegan dishes that you select and fill up your to go box.

They also offer some fresh juices as well which is great.

The shepherds pie is very delicious - try it!!

We stopped here for lunch on our way biking around London so it was a very nice change from some of the oily unhealthy vegetarian places London has all over the place!

Pros: decent prices compared to most , lots of selection, not greasy
Cons: small
Laura-Joy
Laura-Joy

Tasty Healthy Vegan Food!!!!!!

4 Posted on 02 / 09 / 2010

I just popped in here to grab a quick bite to eat before heading to the cinema and was amazed at how delicious the food was. I got myself a medium box and the guy serving really filled it up for me and everything I had chosen was great. It was a reasonably priced (£4.95 I think it was for the medium box and it filled me up). Some people may not like the idea of eating out of a box with a wooden fork but I thought it was a lovely little place to stop by and grab something quick to eat. I also got the chocolate cake to go and have to say I was slightly disappointed in it as it was quite bland.

Overall I thought it was great delightful little place and can't wait to go back. Also the majority of the food is vegan :)

Pros: Tasty, healthy food, Great vegan choices, Good value
Cons: Tastier Desserts
Sylvia
Sylvia

tasty fast food alternative

4 Posted on 12 / 30 / 2009

Beetrrot is a great alternative for a quick veggie snack. I often stop by when I am in Soho and have enjoyed my food every time.

There is a raw salad bar and another section with pre-prepared and heated food. Half of the dishes are vegan, the rest is veggie.
At the counter you choose your disposable container (the small size is a round foam pot, not a great packaging option in my opinion, the medium and large sizes are carton boxes) cannot recall the exact prices now but I believe it's something like £3.50 - £4.50 and £6. You then pick what you want and the staff will scoop it into your container. If you are particular about how your food 'sits' in the container, just tell them in advance, I found the staff always pleasant.

Usually I have my container filled with a big dollop of vegan coleslaw (delicious), leafy salad and lasagene or shephard's pie (both very yummy) and some fake sausage pasty rolls as a treat on top of it all. The curries always looked too runny for my taste, I would prefer them on a proper plate I suppose.

You can have drinks from the fridge or freshly prepared juices and smoothies (my friend liked her Mango smoothie so much, she ordered a second one on the spot), I once had a Chai tea but thought not much of it. Also the vegan cake I tried was a bit dull.

The indoor seating arrangements are not ideal as it gets pretty nippy when people go in and out, and outside only works in summer. But it's still a blessing to have this friendly cafe around and I will continue visiting.

Pros: yummy food, quick and ready to go
Cons: small container not eco friendly, warm dishes are kept heated
chloecupcakes
chloecupcakes

Cool salad bar in Soho

4 Posted on 10 / 27 / 2009

My sister and I went to Beatroot in April this year. It was a bit hard to find, but totally worth it. Great selection of vegan salad items. My sister (who is very picky) had a shepherds pie and I had a mixture of salad stuff including a fantastic potato salad and some delicious tofu stir-fry. We then had a slice of "Chocolate Dream Cake". It was tasty and very chocolatey, but a bit dry. The staff seemed busy, but friendly. Limited seating but looks very cool inside.

Pros: Reasonably priced, Yummy vegan lunch options, Big portions!
Cons: Noisy market outside, Cake was too dry! :(
wijmlet
wijmlet

• non-vegetarian

Even Our Picky Teenage Lad Loved it

5 Posted on 10 / 23 / 2009

We enjoyed at least 3 meals in our brief time in London this summer: eating outdoors, the combos you could have at Beatroot were great. The staff were pleasant, and the prices good. The centrality also was pleassing. I enjoyed the neighborhood, less touristy in places, too.

comida
comida

Lovely food and cakes

4 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2009

I've been wanting to try this place for ages because a friend says he loves it, but have never gotten around to it. So last night, we sought it out for a quick meal before going to the theatre. There was a friendly (and pretty) girl behind the counter who was very efficient and helfpul. I had the small box (which was a bowl) of shepherd's pie and sausage rolls, while my best friend had a dhal with brown rice. We tried a bit of each other's food, and it was all yummy. We shared a chocolate cake, and I took away a bakewell slice which we had after the show, when we got home. I'm really glad to we went there. Next time we want to try the smoothies as well.

Pros: cakes all vegan, most dishes vegan, quite cheap
Jemima
Jemima

Central, cheap for a meal w a few health benefits

3 Posted on 07 / 24 / 2009

On Berwick St in Soho where they hold the market. There is a bit of blonde paneled modern seating inside and a couple of low tables outside. The left side inside has a counter with hot food and cakes.
When I went the market had packed up and the garbos were doing the rounds which we had to compete with to hear ourselves. We were glad to sit outside though as it was quite a hot day.

You get a choice of three sizes of boxes and you indicate to the counter person what hot food you want in it. I chose a small box and it was piled high with food so was ample for dinner. The top flaps of the box prevented anything from dropping out. I presume if you take away they would have to close it and would give you less. Whether eat in or takeaway they use the same paper boxes and cutlery made from wood fibre materials. It's environmentally probably better to wash and reuse plates and cutlery for people eating in.
I had about five different options such as lasagna, bean and vegetable stews, salad leaves and sausage rolls. I got quite a few potatoes in my box. It was quite hearty especially because of the potatoes and was fine.I had vegan chocolate cake with chocolate icing for desert although I was actually full enough after the above. It was alright although I have had better vegan chocolate cake and icing before. I also had a mocha which tasted distinctly coffee like.

Service was pleasant and helpful.

For dinner including desert and a beverage it came to just under GBP10 so value was decent.

Pros: cheap, central, helpful staff
Cons: disposable boxes, cultery
khb
khb

Doesn't stand up to the competition

2 Posted on 04 / 01 / 2009

If Beatroot were the only restaurant of its kind in a small town somewhere, I'd easily give it four cows, maybe even five, just for the effort. But fast, inexpensive, vegan-friendly food is so plentiful in Soho that I set my standards a little higher, and Beatroot doesn't meet them.

The food is all sitting there under heat lamps - nothing wrong with that, since it means you can get it fast. But nothing has labels, and you can't serve yourself, so you have to tell the staff, "I'll have some of this one, and some of that one over there, and some of that one next to it with the aubergines." Then your food is served not on a plate, but in a box. Which is good for taking away, but it means that everything gets all mushed up together, and it's hard to tell which of the dishes go together just by looking at them.

As for the food itself: I had some shepherd's pie that was really nice, a fairly decent but not very exciting stirfry of tofu and vegetables, and a spinach and lentil curry with rice that was just bland and boring. They can do better. You can do better.

Pros: Fast, Lots of vegan options, Reasonably priced
Cons: So-so food, Especially when all mixed together
Michelle Stoddart
Michelle Stoddart

I love Beatroot!

5 Posted on 03 / 07 / 2009

I've been many times and it's always fresh, delicious and healthy! The staff are exceptionally friendly and they play good music. It's great for a quick lunch when you're out shopping or on the go. I love it!

Pros: Excellent Food, Healthy Cuisine, Great Portions
Lucylu
Lucylu

Yum!

3 Posted on 02 / 01 / 2009

The food here is really tasty! It's a little expensive for the surroundings! Not so much of a restaurant as a take out place with a few seats! Great if you're after take out...

marybheine
marybheine

Not worth the cab ride

2 Posted on 11 / 10 / 2008

My sister and I tried to dine at Beatroot tonight. We came, we saw, and we quickly turned on our heels to leave. But we had to sidestep the drunk man who was mumbling to himself as he was stumbling out, clutching a cup of tea. One look at the food that was sitting under the hot lamp, and it looked like all the dirty serving dishes were there to be washed. There wasn't much evidence of fresh food. We were there at 8 pm. The 2 tables inside looked very unwelcoming, bench-style with the floodlights on "Full" overhead. Very stark and uninviting. Uh...no thanks. It had all the atmosphere of a soup kitchen with the vagrant joining us. We couldn't wait to get out of there, and took a 5 minute walk to Mildreds, which was on the other end of the spectrum in terms of ambiance and quality.

Pros: the staff were nice to the vagrant, It was in London, They weren't upset when we left
Cons: Food looked unappetizing, Employee was sweeping the floor, Sleazy street in Soho
niallmc
niallmc

Beatroot is great

4 Posted on 09 / 16 / 2008

Lovely place to get some vegan cake. Always have some available and you can sit outside or look out the window at the market life of london veg.

Pros: great vegan cakes
Deano
Deano

The bell is for my benefit - not yours

3 Posted on 05 / 08 / 2008

Imagine if your school cafeteria had been run by trendy hippies. Then it would probably have been like Beatroot. After you've queued up, your food is slopped into cardboard containers and you eat with strange, wooden cutlery. I was half expecting a stern middle-aged man with a cane to give me "six of the best" if I didn't eat my greens. Luckily, there was no chance of that because the food was thoroughly enjoyable. And it's okay if the school bully has pinched some of your dinner money because Beatroot is really cheap. What's more, you can have your cardboard container filled with any combination of the tasty fare on offer. I had tonnes of rice, curry, shepherd's pie and veg. There's loads of salad too and plenty for vegans. I have a mighty appetite but I was full to the brim for just £6.
This place is perfect for people in a hurry - if you're on a short break from work, for example - but it's not the right choice if you want a romantic meal for two.
Two things you should be wary of; (1) there's no toilet; (2) I got a week's detention for giving someone a wedgie.

Pros: Good value, Decent selection, Quick service
Cons: No toilet,
camerongreen
camerongreen

Great spot for a quick bite

5 Posted on 02 / 23 / 2008

Beatroot is one of my favourite restaurants in London. There is a good selection of dishes, it isn't overpriced, and the food always seems fresh.

Vegan coleslaw, vegan potato salad, "sausage" rolls, surrounded by choices of curries, shepherds pie, ragout and other seasonal dishes, all packed into one container is a delight.

Great place to take non veggies as they can pick and choose a bit of everything which keeps them happy with the diversity of flavours.

Highly recommended place for a filling meal.

Pros: Fresh, Varied, Central
Cons: Seating limited
baratron
baratron

Beetroot - for cheap boxes of decent grub

5 Posted on 02 / 16 / 2008

Beetroot is cheap and cheerful, but doesn't sacrifice quality. The food is bought in from the adjoining Berwick Street Market, and organic & Fairtrade where possible. They work on the principle I love, where you can assume that the meal is vegan unless it VISIBLY contains egg or cheese. So their quiche is made from egg and their lasagna contains cheese - but absolutely everything else is vegan, with no "stealth" egg or dairy. The cakes are now ALL vegan.

The one thing to be aware of is that all of the food is cooked and sits under a hotplate, sometimes for several hours. So you should try to arrive early if you want the pick of everything. Sometimes they've run out of one of the stews or the roast potatoes by 7.30pm, and this may not be replaced by the end of the night. So time your visit carefully! In particular, they claim to be open until 9pm, but really you must be there by 8.50pm to get served, and you probably won't be able to sit inside. Also, none of the fruits or vegetables are peeled - which is fine and wholesome, but may be offputting to omnivorous friends.

Pros: Super cheap by London standards, Not greasy, YUMMY sausage rolls & stews
Cons: Food not cooked to order, May have run out of what you wanted, Beware of vegetable peelings!
Guest
Guest

awesomeness

5 Posted on 07 / 19 / 2007

great veg place in soho area.....its 90 percent vegan..the only things that arent are the greek salad, lasagna and mousaka...everything else is vegan...the faux sausage rolls are incredible and the quinoa salad is awesome..also the choclate cake is divine

Pros: location, vegan food, friendly service
Cons: soho area

Dear Owner and Manager of Beatroot Cafe: