Serves meat, veg options available. Cafe restaurant affiliated with Beans and Barley Market. Has some vegetarian options, seats 80-100. Price: Moderate more-less
Ovo, Lacto, American, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

Rambling Vegans
Rambling Vegans

Excellent Vegan Breakfasts

Posted on 03 / 09 / 2014

The tofu scramble we've had here is the best we've ever had. They have a tofu burrito that's just as good as well as pancakes. While we have had lunch here, which is also good, it can't compare to the scramble. You sometimes have to wait a little while for a table, but it's usually not too long and while you're waiting you can shop in their market. Service is always good and the prices are decent.

Pros: Great Food, Good Prices, Friendly Staff
Cons: Usually busy , Parking can be hard to find
debbo2
debbo2

Great food

Posted on 01 / 27 / 2013

Great food. Cute Resturant with store in it.
Good choices and friendly service.

Pros: good selection, bakery also
Cons: parking lot small
Jaxx
Jaxx

Best Milwaukee Restaurant

Posted on 12 / 29 / 2012

Beans and Barley is a major staple to the east side of Milwaukee. I don't know how I would eat without them. Love the portebella mushroom sandwich. Breakfast foods are the best for lacto-ovo vegetarians.

They are supposed to be changing all their cheeses to be vegetarian in January of 2013, so that is a bonus. Their deli is very good too. Smoothies and yummy burritos!

I would give them 5 cows if I could:)

Pros: Quick and affordable, Best food in Milwaukee
Cons: Occaisionally hard to find parking

gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Cafe & Grocery

Posted on 07 / 19 / 2012

Beans and Barley is a super popular cafe (packed near close when I visited) luckily the chefs in the back are happy to take a last minute order for anyone sitting at the counter! You can also get a decent selection of the food they make in the cold section of the grocery area. Beans & Barley is definitely the go to place for vegan food on a cold night, the cafe like atmosphere is great. I opted for a custom veggie sandwich, but the burritos looked amazing, too!

Pros: neat place
Cons: meat/fish/cheese on menu
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Beans & Barley Cafe

Posted on 06 / 02 / 2011

Beans and Barley is a cute, and apparently very popular, cafe located in Milwaukee. They're a little busy on the weekends so expect to wait about 20 minutes until you're seated. If you're traveling with (or need to compromise with) a non-vegan, I think this would be a good place to take them as there are tasty options for everyone. For my entrée I ordered the Tofu Burger - I was attracted to this items as the patty is made locally by Simple Soyman in Milwaukee. The burger comes on a toasted bun with lettuce, tomatoes, vegenaise, and vegan cheese (upon request). The burger patty was really good, I didn't even taste/notice the tofu, as it tasted mostly of vegetables. All in all I thought the burger was good and I'd certainly order it again. I give this place 3.5 cows but will up it to 4 considering the number of options they offer and the area they operate in.

Guest
Guest

vegan and vegatarian, home-cookin'

Posted on 11 / 09 / 2008

not only does beans have a soup of the day and a dinner special that rotates daily, but they have plenty of great vegan bakery in the deli, hot and cold take out deli items, a deli counter to take out sandwiches and dinner items, and (most importantly for milwaukee residnets!!): BRUNCH! great vegan brinch items-tofu scrambler, biscuits and gravy, etc...a great place to eat, shop, and work (really, it is)!

Pros: good food, freindly staff, family owned
Cons: lack of parking for brunch-gets busy
Grootchk13
Grootchk13

um...YUM!

Posted on 05 / 13 / 2008

So...anyone that comes to Milwaukee or lives in Milwaukee MUST eat here at least once. I promise you that you will constantly CRAVE their vegetarian chili because well it have been voted best chili like 3 years in a row. Personally I love their burritos but they are different! There is stuff on the menu for meat eaters too!

Pros: yummy, friendly staff
Cons: small seating area, so you might have to wait, thats all thou!

Dear Owner and Manager of Beans and Barley Cafe: