Bean Vegan Cuisine

Opened Apr 2012, this vegan restaurant offers plant-based meals: home-style vegetable, sandwiches, green plate specials, daily desserts, and other classic American fare like burgers. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, American, Bakery, Take-out

First Review by Doli
DIN8
DIN8

If you stay in Charlotte you MUST go there!

5 Posted on 02 / 28 / 2014

I visited BEAN twice on a business trip last year. The food was delicious and reasonably priced. The staff was extraordinary friendly and helpful. I had the Old Fashioned Cheeseburger and Jalapeno Cheddar Burger - both were really awesome.

Pros: excellent food
Cons: location
Technicality
Technicality

Bean Vegan

3 Posted on 01 / 15 / 2014

This place did not resonate with me. First I think the place is an old mexican restaurant and could really use a makeover. It just felt sterile and out of place. Maybe it was me.

Second the menu was loaded with faux-meat, sandwiches, and overly prepared dishes. I did not not see very many fresh whole food offerings.

(Aside) Maybe the thinking is when someone is going out they want something inventive and unique. I see that perspective. However, as someone that used to each meat for 40 years I don't get the appeal of pretend meat food and an over reliance on sandwiches. It kind of defeats the purpose for me. (End Aside)

So I tried the jackfruit tacos. The jackfruit was bland, my first experience. The seasoning was decent. The taco dressing/grilled veggies were good. One of the two sides I ordered were the collard greens, which were amazing. The collard greens give me hope when I return. I don't remember the other side.

Portion size was large. Prices were a little high. Service was friendly and attentive.

Pros: vegan, inventive/expansive menu, friendly people
Cons: prices, overly prepared foods, ambiance
justjoey
justjoey

Most Excellent

5 Posted on 01 / 10 / 2014

I love a great vegan restaurant.
Although I have had better at other places, good vegan is hard to find. This is good vegan, it hits the spot and tastes good. I liked my food and was glad to eat it.
If definitely recommend and I will be back

Pros: Decent Selection, Good Tasting, Nice Atmosphere
Cons: A Tad Pricey, Not The Very Very Best, Sometimes You Have To Do A U Turn
angelaxvx
angelaxvx

Comfort Food!

5 Posted on 12 / 10 / 2013

This place offers delicious comfort food. I had the country fried patties with collards greens and mac-n-cheez. My husband got the bacon cheeseburger with kale. Both items were fabulous and hit the spot in our hungry tummies. The country fried patties had a nice, crispy breading and the gravy was the perfect touch. My meal also came with a corn bread muffin which was scrumptious with agave drizzled on top (I asked for the agave). Both plates came out super fast and we both inhaled our food in record time. I wish this place was in my hometown because I'd visit there every week. My husband said it was his favorite restaurant!

Pros: Delicious, Fast, Friendly Staff
niawilliams
niawilliams

Bean Vegan Cuisine

3 Posted on 10 / 21 / 2013

A friend of mine told me about this place and my boyfriend and I checked it out. I had the pulled barbecue sandwich which was pretty good. Tasted just like the real thing. My boyfriend had the BLT and liked it as well. It was pretty cool.

Pros: food tastes similiar to real meat, quick service
Cons: food needed more flavor, staff wasn't the greatest
BabzillaMicrophone
BabzillaMicrophone

amazing! something for everyone

5 Posted on 06 / 29 / 2013

I've been on a number of times and I loved everything I tried. Great food, decent beer, selection, nice peaceful atmosphere, friendly servers. I would take anyone - even non-veg - without a question. Delicious!

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, fresh and healthy
Cons: a little pricey for casual, location a bit difficult to get to
Ringler
Ringler

bean

5 Posted on 04 / 01 / 2013

We had a great experience at Bean! The staff was very friendly. There was a wide variety of menu selections. We all shared "meat"loaf, "bacon and cheese" burger and a pulled "pork" sandwich. All three were delicious and came with tasty sides as well. Dessert was great also - a kit kat cake and some fresh out of the oven cookies to go. Next time we're in Charlotte we will definitely be heading back!

Pros: unique atmosphere, tasty all vegan menu, friendly staff
practicetnr
practicetnr

Great home cooking!

4 Posted on 03 / 19 / 2013

Had two great meals at Bean while visiting Charlotte. Food was excellent and nicely plated. Very friendly and welcoming staff. Had the jackfruit bbq sandwich with slaw, tatertot casserole, mac & cheese, meatloaf and potatoes, cheesecake and kitkat cake. Ate every bite and practically licked my plate. Will definitely eat there again on future visits!!

Pros: Great comfort food, Friendly staff, Good selection
Cons: Location a little hard to get to
charles josef
charles josef

Awesome Vegan Eats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 Posted on 03 / 02 / 2013

I Love bean!!! It makes the transition to vegan easy with familiar comfort foods that I love served in a comfortable atmosphere and at a fair price. Living in Asheville, NC is a vegan dissapointment so I always am excited to stop at BEAN when I am flying out of the Charlottoe Airport. I wish I could eat at BEAN every night. Maybe the Vegan Eats Fairy will wave a wand and make a BEAN appear in Ahseville one day. IT IS MUCH NEEDED

Pros: Great Vegan Food, Friendlly Staff, Private Room for Parties
Shakes
Shakes

AMAZING!!

5 Posted on 02 / 08 / 2013

This has been the best meal I've had in the last 12 months!! Such nice & wonderful people employed here as well. This Mock Kit-Kat cake has me thinking of going from vegetarian to vegan.

CompulsiveCollector
CompulsiveCollector

Just to DIE for...

5 Posted on 01 / 10 / 2013

Since the day Bean opened, it's been my favorite restaurant. It isn't just my favorite place to eat in Charlotte; eating there is one of my favorite things to *do* in Charlotte. Everything I've eaten there has been nothing short of fantastic, and there's no shortage of new specials to try every time I walk through the doors. All the servers who've waited on me have been friendly and helpful, never so much as allowing my glass to be empty. The owners always come to check and see how we're doing. You can't ask for better service, and you definitely won't find better vegan comfort food anywhere within reasonable driving distance. I used to love going to Atlanta for the wide variety of vegan establishments. Now when I go to Atlanta, I can't wait to get home and eat at Bean again.

There are other good restaurants in Charlotte, whether they be all-vegan or just very vegan-friendly, but make no mistake: Bean blows them all out of the water. My only complaint is that no other place is as good!

And that's all at a great value. I don't know how anyone could start a review of Bean with "for the price." The prices are pretty much identical to, if not cheaper than, any casual dining restaurant. Anyone who's been eating out for less has been eating fast food. I've lost count of how many times I've gone in for a vegan, fresh, and delicious meal (not for "plate presentation"), and I have never been disappointed.

Pros: VEGAN, Everything is delicious., GREAT value
greenhexi
greenhexi

Yummy food for your burger day

5 Posted on 12 / 24 / 2012

I came here once each week after they had openend (and before I had to leave the area for good). I tried all the burger/sandwich options and they were all very, very good. And the salad (full plate) was also outstanding, always fresh, yummy and some extras (like strawberries). The salte potatoes were also yummy and cooked well. Place was mostly empty when I came but Satursday afternoon is possibly not the best eating time but the manager/owner assured me that business is doing really well.

Hanauc
Hanauc

Even non vegans will love this restaurant!

5 Posted on 11 / 04 / 2012

We had the crabby dip and quesadilla starters , bratwurst with carmelized cabbage ( cabbage was outstanding!) and zucchini, fresh fruit with vegan whipped cream. All were very tasty! Open on Sunday, which was a plus. Highly recommend. We are newbies to vegan cuisine and were pleasantly surprised. Knowledgeable staff, clean place too.

Pros: Great food, Knowledgeable staff, Clean, friendly
Hannah08
Hannah08

Score!!

5 Posted on 10 / 28 / 2012

Just dined at the Bean with some friends and we all thoroughly enjoyed our choice. I tried the rueben sandwich with kale and had the tofu buffalo fingers as a starter. So yummy! Can't wait to try the Jackfruit tacos next time. Our waiter Nicholas, was also very kind and helpful. Yay Charlotte!!!

Pros: All vegan
Cons: Ambience
Poohbearz
Poohbearz

Can't wait to go back!

5 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2012

I was pleasantly surprised with the food at Bean. I had the Buffalo Fingers and a side of Kale and loved it. Really enjoyed their Ranch and Blue Cheese dressings, too. My husband who is Pescatarian and his friend (a meat eater) also loved their food. In fact the meat eater's son is flying in from Italy and he can't wait to take him to Bean...and his son is also a meat eater. Great casual vegan restaurant that I wish would franchise and open in my hometown!

Pros: Yummy Food
Cons: Not in my hometown
3dollarbill
3dollarbill

Vegan Comfort Food

4 Posted on 07 / 16 / 2012

a limited menu done well. the ruben was stellar, and the mac&cheez was really different: tender and flavorful w/o being a gloppy mess of just vegan cheese- nutritional yeast adds tang. dining comapanion had the crabby cake sandwich with salty potatoes and as a non-vegan declared both items full of flavor and something they would order again. i'm not a sweets person but did share a few bites of the kit kat cake- many many layers of crushed club crackers w/ peanut butter topped with a rich chocolate ganache. looking forward to an expanded menu after the official grand opening. will return often to support this local restaurant; i'm super stoked NOT to have to ask a million questions about ingredients and to have a place for vegan dishes i don't make at home. one negative: laptop & messy papers, phones and caps on the bar in the dining room. move it to the back where it belongs, even between peak service times!!

Pros: taste, price, fair portions
Cons: location, limited menu
3kmama
3kmama

Needs improvement

2 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2012

For the price the plate needs more presentation. The waitstaff needs to be more knowledgeable about the foods they are serving. I did like the jackfruit carnitas. The parking lot was filling up with customers by the time we were leaving so it shows that there is an interest in vegan food so kudos to anyone desiring to monopolize on that, I just hope they make some improvements.

Pros: It's a vegan restaurant, Jackfruit carnitas look like pulled pork
Cons: Not much flavor, Not a good value, Staff didn't appear professional
Doli
Doli

OK

2 Posted on 07 / 07 / 2012

I had been looking forward to the opening and was then a little disappointed. Our server was friendly when we first arrived but After that did not seem to have time for us even though there were almost as many staff as customers. Menu did not give any info about the few items listed And the server did not offer any info in fact the table behind us did ask several questions and she then complained to us about it and I am sure they could hear her. I was surprised when my sandwich arrived on a big ol white bun. I will give them another chance though

Pros: Healthy
Cons: Server
  • carlos.bolden carlos.bolden

Wow! You took the words right out of my mouth. I had the exact same experience when I went. They had just opened and there were not any descriptions beside the menu items, and the staff was not helpful or attentive. I had a sandwich on, what seemed to be Wonder bread (white), and steamed kale with no seasoning. I have heard they have improved since then. Maybe I will give it another try.

Dear Owner and Manager of Bean Vegan Cuisine: