Opened in Oct 2013, this veg restaurant provides organic cuisine without wheat, gluten, dairy, additive or processed sugar. Offers a varied menu with both cooked as well raw food, fresh juices and exilirs - all vegan except for honey and pollen. Simple, modern interior. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Organic, American, Western, Canadian, Raw, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by jacr
spinner63
spinner63

Amazing!

5 Posted on 07 / 09 / 2014

We went with friends in June 2014. Amazing flavour combos, fresh well prepared food. The Carmanah bowl sounds like an odd combo, but is so delish that I try and reproduce it at home (with out perfect sucess)almost daily. the service was friendly and just the right amount of attentiveness. The tables are super close - but them this is a small town and we ended up sitting next to people our friends knew. I love this place. Prices are similar to what I would expect for fresh, local, organic vegan food. Nice mix of raw and cooked options.

Pros: fresh, local, healthy, good downtown location, good service
Cons: tables are close together
CLRtraveller
CLRtraveller

New almost-vegan eatery

5 Posted on 10 / 25 / 2013

Heard about this new almost-vegan, some-raw restaurant (thanks, Sarah K.) and was thrilled to have another veg'n option in Victoria. The menu is good: I love being able to order anything on the menu. Wish they didn't use honey, so they could claim to be all-vegan. But they are very willing to substitute and re-arrange various meals. They're not licensed yet for alcohol - maybe in about a month's time. Some of the tables are too close together. It was full on the Saturday 5:30-6:45 pm when we were there. Pleasant service. I definitely want to go again soon to try more of the menu items and delicious-looking desserts. This time I had the macrobiotic bowl, which was satisfying and tasty. I had some of my friend's garlic roasted baby potatoes with miso gravy, and they were scrumptious. Next day I dropped in and had a "Shanti" green juice, $8 for 16 oz. glass, with cucumber, pear, mint and lime. Juices range from $7.50 to $12. Other things that sound good: Bliss Salad ($12), soup of the day ($5 or $9), Earth Sea Salad ($14), Enchiladas ($16), wild mushroom fettucine ($17), Love hot chocolate with almond or hazelnut mylk, lavender lemonade, etc. Looking forward to my next meal there this weekend.

Pros: tasty, healthy food, mostly vegan
Cons: tables too close together
jacr
jacr

Exactly what Victoria needed!

4 Posted on 10 / 15 / 2013

A warm, simple atmosphere. The owners have done an absolutely beautiful renovation on this space.

We enjoyed a breakfast there on their opening weekend. 2 raw breakfast sandwiches, 2 chais and 2 truffles ran us $30 with tip - but more important than the price was the quality of the food that we were served - which was outstanding. The fruit and vegetables on our sandwich were incredibly fresh, and the unique structure of the breakfast sandwich complimented the ingredients really well.

The components of our meal that contained honey were offered to us without, if we preferred. This was a nice gesture.

Victoria needed a place downtown where vegans could enjoy a full menu of options, instead of having to settle for the one or two vegan items you may be lucky to see elsewhere.

The price is listed as 'expensive' in the description here. While it is not INexpensive, I wouldn't really say that the prices are high for the quality and amount of food that you get. For most people, it may not be a place they can enjoy on a daily basis, but it seems on par with most of the other "nice" dinner joints in downtown Victoria. Their menu also features a Love Bowl, which has a suggested value of $8, but states that no one will be turned away, as the owners are trying to make healthy food accessible to everyone. Also, such great raw options!

The service was a little shaky, but not at all lacking. Our server seemed a little inexperienced, but not in any way that made our experience less enjoyable. With a little more experience, I am sure it will smooth out. The speed of food and drink to our table was very good.

Great job, Be Love. Looking forward to many a lovely meal with you.

Pros: Extensive Menu, Quality Ingredients, Welcoming Atmoshpere

Dear Owner and Manager of be love: