Bay Leaf Cafe

Serves meat, veg options available. Eclectic menu offers vegetarian and vegan options including an original black bean burger and some tempeh dishes; try the falafels. The friendly staff and its bright and light decor is a nice combination to enjoy a relaxed meal. Price: Moderate more-less
Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by nitro68
CarolinaR
CarolinaR

awesome veg options in South Dakota

3 Posted on 06 / 28 / 2012

Fabulous restaurant just off the main street in Spearfish, SD. They are extremely accommodating to vegans and even substitute tofu or tempeh in entrees. The food was delicious. For desert they had a brandy, apple, walnut pie that was great.

Pros: vegan options, outdoor seating, dog friendly
TRaeCH
TRaeCH

Charming Experience

4 Posted on 12 / 17 / 2010

My friend, his uncle (non-vegetarian) and I stopped in at the Bay Leaf Cafe for dinner on our way to Deadwood, SD. The restaurant has a very welcoming decor; very esthetically pleasing with interesting artwork on the walls.

As was mentioned in the earliest review, below, the wait staff is happy to accommodate vegetarian and vegan requests and requirements. While my dinner-mates both ordered the burger (black bean variety, if I recall) I needed some greens in me and ordered the "Salad Nicoise" substituting slices of grilled tempeh for the meat listed in the menu.

We were all enjoying our meals when, to our surprise, a young girl begins to play magnificently on the piano behind us.

We were enjoying ourselves so much that, recalling carrot cake being listed on the menu, we had to share a slice. Sure, I adore carrot cake, but I also wanted an excuse to stay a little longer. The cake was superb!

The price was reasonable. $17 before tip for my meal and the dessert - plus the free live piano!

If ever in the black hills region again I will likely stop into the Bay Leaf Cafe once again.

Pros: Great atmosphere, Will accommodate vegans , Local and fresh
Cons: Limited for vegans w/out modifications
nitro68
nitro68

Friendly Place

3 Posted on 06 / 23 / 2009

I checked happycow.net before I left WI for SD and I'm glad I did. I had their number with me, so I could place a vegan meal order "togo" and pick it up before they closed at 8pm. They even had a vegan dessert.

Pros: Quality Food, Good Portions
Cons: Could Use a Few More Vegan Options
Guest
Guest

Wonderful!

4 Posted on 06 / 17 / 2007

Excellent little restaurant in an area where they are hard to come by. A couple vegan options and more vegetarian ones. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Just tell them you're vegan and they will help you.

Pros: excellent food, great staff, large portions

Dear Owner and Manager of Bay Leaf Cafe: