Bawarchi Indian Kitchen

Serves meat, veg options available. Nov 2012 reported began offering meat; previously operated as vegetarian. Makes Northern Indian vegetarian cuisine. Veg dishes are prepared with vegetables and faux meat and displayed in a steamtable and sold by weight. For the combo plate you choose 3 dishes, a rice, a bread, plus small side salad. There is also an appetizer & snacks menu. Vegan items are labeled. Has vegan desserts. Small place, seats 10-15. Location is in a strip mall. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Buffet, Fast food, Take-out, Non-veg
10408 Venice Blvd (Motor, Culver City area)
Los Angeles, California 90232
310-836-8525
OPEN NOW

Mon-Sun 11:00am-10:00pm

First Review by quarrygirl
Guest
Guest

buffet the best indian food

Posted on 03 / 05 / 2014

I just try this place it was my first time the food was delicious. I love chicken korma, the best Indian food I eat in Los Angeles. Like some other Indian restaurant this place have a buffet to but its totally different. deferent means they have the biggest Indian buffet I ever seen in my life over 30 dishes includes desserts and appetizers. The most I enjoyed at Bawarchi was that they have great veg vegan options like saag, allo gobhi, channa masala, and many more I could not even remember. the great food, my recommendation is after your meal, try some gajjar halwa its like carrot putting so sweet. the service was great we all enjoyed it thanks Bawarchi making are day special. we all enjoyed a lot, see you soon

Pros: excellent food, good value, friendly sta
Chia
Chia

No longer pure veg

Posted on 12 / 23 / 2012

I had first read about this place on happycow and have eaten here a few times while it was a pure vegetarian place but too bad now it serves meat... Here's my Bawarchi Indian Kitchen review.

When Barwarchi opened in the fall of 2009 as a pure veg place, I liked it. The concept is like your typical India Sweets and Spices buffet concept, EXCEPT that the setup here is more modern with warm lighting, a very nice wooden case glass case display of steamboat, cute little black and red serving plates reminiscent of Japanese dining ware. The plates really make a difference in the dining experience. It makes the food seem like bento style, except it's Indian food and not Japanese. We were told that the chef is the original chef from The Samosa House (Bhahat Bazaar).

The first time I went with 2 friends, and we each got the combo meal ($8 each) which is choice of 3 dishes plus side salad plus rice or bread. The vegan dishes were not labeled as so then (now they are!), so it took us a while to figure out what we could eat. Everything we got was delicious. Likely because the grand chef himself was in the kitchen preparing the food and overseeing what's happening there.

However, the last time we ate here the food was not as tasty as I had remembered. I went with my husband, and we got the combo meal. Vegan dishes are now clearly labeled! We each choose 3 vegan dishes, with 6 total to share. 3 were quite good, 3 were unfortunate / just salty and not distinct in flavor.

The grand chef himself was not working in the kitchen but rather we saw only saw helpers.

The Good:
- Nice space
- Large variety
- Lovely presentation
- Filling
- Inexpensive

Suggestions for Improvement:
- Need more distinct spice and flavors
- Less salt
- Perhaps change or get rid of the tall glass case with the appetizers and desserts already made and pre-wrapped in clear plastic wrapping. looked rather un-appetizing.

Probably because it was not getting enough business, Bawarchi switched to offering meat. Too bad for the veg community.

miasto
miasto

Indian Food

Posted on 07 / 16 / 2011

I just recently had dinner there, the $9 dinner special which gives you 3 choices from the delicious buffet, your choice of naan, pappadum, and a salad. Everything I tried was delicious and fresh. The vegan chocolate cheesecake was the best vegan cheesecake I have ever had. Really nice people too, I highly recommend this restaurant!

Pros: excellent food, friendly and helpful staff

spiceislandvegan
spiceislandvegan

Delicious

Posted on 05 / 30 / 2011

I thought it is the best tasting North Indian vegetarian cuisine. I usually eat South Indian because lots of vegetarian dishes available and lots of spices but this chef has created dishes for only veg and vegans. I gave him 2 thumbs up since usually North Indian includes meat dishes in their warm buffet. He is able to provide about 20 for vegetarians and vegans. Yay! We should not be complaining!

It was hard to choose so I chose the jackfruit perwoshari (or something like that), the soy fish and soy chicken dishes. They are delicious. I chose whole wheat roti which was excellent. My husband had the garlic naan and he thinks it was too thick. He had the black garbanzo dish and some other legume dishes which were also good.

There was also a 'salsa' station like in Baja Fresh (a small one). What was called salsa is actually sliced onions with different spices. We tried that and they were GREAT condiments.

The dishes here are NOT HOT. They have complex flavors and lots of spices but they are not hot to burn your mouth. They are quiet enjoyable and very flavorful!

The Chef is a systematic and methodical guy. He showed us how to arrange our trays on our table, where to put our salsa, etc. He meant well though and maybe some people took that the wrong way. He even showed his worker how to dip the curry from the warming table. I think he is just that kind of guy who wants everything done right. We weren't offended.

The place is clean but too small. We saw a South Indian restaurant next door that is bigger. I wonder why he didn't pick that location or maybe that restaurant was there first. I think this restaurant is going to do well since it was crowded with people coming in and out to dine in or to take food-to-go.

Unfortunately, it is too far for us to dine here often. We also took food to go and was suggested to get the Grilled Jalapeno dish by a customer.

We will definitely be back when we are in the area.

BTW, the combo dinner price is now $9 which is not bad considering the area.

Pros: taste, price, choices
Cons: too far, service can be better, parking lot is small
kenvegan
kenvegan
+1944

Delicious food

Posted on 04 / 19 / 2011

I have eaten at this restaurant numerous times, and I must say that this is about as good as Indian food gets anywhere in the world. The chef has been cooking since he was only 5 years old, and was rated one of the top chefs in India. All of his dishes are perfectly spiced, have unique textures, and are completely addictive. His combination plate is one of the best deals in town! I have tried all of his appetizers (displayed in the glass case), and they are all just fantastic. If you have any room after you finish your appetizers and main course, be sure to try their vegan cheese cake, which is prepared in the same manner as you would find at an expensive gourmet restaurant. The chef has clearly labelled the dishes as vegan or vegetarian. Kudos to the chef!

Pros: Healthy cuisine, Desserts
westcornersville
westcornersville

unique Indian restaurant

Posted on 10 / 01 / 2010

This is quite a unique Indian vegetarian restaurant. They have a lot of dishes that you won't normally find at Indian restaurants, such as dishes made with lotus root or (green) jackfruit. They also have mock meat dishes (such as fish or chicken), again not something you'd normally find at an Indian restaurant. They have some of the Indian staples as well, like aloo gobi and dal. I am glad to report that they do now label the vegan items. Decent portion sizes--for $8, you get 3 curries, enough to fill up most people. The only negative is that it's a bit crowded. It's worthy of 5 happy cows!

Pros: unique Indian dishes, tasty, good value
Cons: crowded
leksamichelle
leksamichelle

interesting food, lots of choices

Posted on 07 / 19 / 2010

I usually get the combo plate, so I can taste at least 3 options off the extensive menu. If you go with a few friends, you can sample each other's! Lots to choose from, and interesting dishes.
This is more of a lunchtime place though, or a VERY casual dinner choice. You go to the counter to order, and meal comes on a tray.

Pros: good food, great prices, lots to choose from
Cons: can gets a little crowded., you get REALLY full!, more of a lunchtime place
DBC
DBC

New Restaurant

Posted on 12 / 23 / 2009

This is an excellent new addition to our stable of vegetarian restaurants and of Indian restaurants. The cooking is very creative, featuring dishes that we haven't found elsewhere. The quality of cooking is superb. This is one of the few Indian restaurants we know of that makes extensive and creative use of tofu and other soy products. They make great lassis and desserts as well. Prices are very reasonable.

Pros: excellent food, good value
quarrygirl
quarrygirl

quick, cheap good food

Posted on 11 / 08 / 2009

i think bawarchi is great, although they are still working out some major kinks in their flow. the atmosphere is kind of chaotic, and the vegan dishes aren't labeled, but the chef will come out and tell you which dishes are vegan. the food is good overall and really well priced. i am looking forward to eating here more often.

Pros: cheap, fast, good food
Cons: vegan dishes not labeled, chaotic atmosphere

Dear Owner and Manager of Bawarchi Indian Kitchen: