Serves meat, veg options available. Has some vegetarian dishes. Jun 2014 update: Kafe Batan Waru moved down the road and is a temporary food bazaar upstairs and out the front of Lippo Mall whilst the renovation for its new cafe is being finished. Also has a cafe in Ubud. Price: Moderate more-less
Indonesian, Beer/Wine, Non-veg
Jalan Kartika Plaza (the center of Kuta Bali)
Bali, Indonesia
n/a

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by nielswied
blinki
blinki

Difficult to get vegan option

Posted on 08 / 19 / 2014

I wouldn't list this place as vegan friendly, perhaps it depends on the waitress you get. Didn't know what vegan means, weren't clear on vegetarian but did manage to do me some rice with a few bits of carrot. It was tasty for what it was. I was charged the price of the meat and egg dish I had the vegan version of so not good value.

Seems to be moving permanently to the mall

katiebella
katiebella

Great service, good understanding of vegan food

Posted on 06 / 14 / 2014

We spent forever trying to find this place as it has now moved 500m down the road to Lippo Mall on JL Kartika Plaza, so add a further 500m to the map directions.

Until reno's finish on the new cafe, it has a temp food bazaar outside on left side of first level. Drinks are really nice, food was quite nice but not amazing. My partner loved his mushroom and tofu stir fry. My veg curry was okay but not lacked a bit of flavour (ie was a bit on the watery side and lacked creaminess)

Recommend the fried tofu as a starter. Hot, fresh and yum. Spring rolls were fairly average.

The place was really quiet when we finally found it at 9pm so it was easy to choose a seat and the service was very quick (in addition to being very friendly, courteous, professional). The waitresses understanding of the true vegan diet was a welcomed relief as most places in Kuta think vegetarian includes seafood and most waiters don't understand the words vegan or dairy as I don't know that there is an equivalent translation for either.

We also got 10% off, a promotion which will continue until the renovations are done and the cafe is properly reopened (end June).

If you're in the Kuta area it's definitely worth checking out but I wouldn't make a special trip. You're better off doing that for Zula or Divine Earth in Seminyak - amazing organic veg and raw options at both.

Trolly.Dolly
Trolly.Dolly

yummy

Posted on 10 / 31 / 2009

I really enjoyed my meal here. I found the staff and food great. Very good for a not strictly Vegetarian restaurant. Menu was Vege friendly with vegan food labelled with stars and Vegetarian food labelled with two stars. Try a pineapple blush smoothie it was so good :)

nielswied
nielswied

crowded

Posted on 08 / 06 / 2008

Visited Batan Waru Kuta on July 9, 2008. Since the latest Lonely Planet put this restaurant in its list, it is very crowded en staff is less friendly. The veggie food is still there but of lesser quality then in July 2007. By the way: there is also a branch of this restaurant in Ubud, Jalan Dewi Sita, north side of the street, about 600 metres east from the Corner of Monkey Road. Just before Batan Waru in Ubud, also north side of the street, there is restaurant Gaia, serving veggie dishes, that seem OK. But we did not eat there.
Dr. N. Wiedenhof

Pros: veggie menu
Cons: when crowded staff overloaded

Dear Owner and Manager of Batan Waru: