Basil Pizza

Serves meat, veg options available. By night, this establishment is a pizza place; has vegan pizzas with vegan crust, vegan cheese and faux pepperoni. Also has gluten free base. By day, it's the Naked Espresso veg cafe. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Pizza, Italian, Western, Non-veg

First Review by Sonja and Dirk
CarolinaSvenOrre
CarolinaSvenOrre

Ok pizza

3 Posted on 02 / 09 / 2014

The vegan pizza is really ok here, but it's a bit pricey. In sydney it's the best pizza, but in Stockholm (my home town) you can find better vegan pizza on at least two different restaurants.

Lea
Lea

Love the vegan pizzas

4 Posted on 01 / 08 / 2014

We order pizza here about once a fortnight, or more! We've tried all the veg options with soy cheeze and loved them all. Hard to pick a fave, but the roast veggies is great, as is the roast pumpkin with spinach and pine nuts. I also love the Mexicana, Hawaiian, Supreme, Sheree & Neridah (sun dried tomato, artichoke & olives) and Animal Lovers. Cannot go past the garlic pizza. It is scrumptious! They also have a few lovely vegan cakes in the fridge. And some salads. Also some possibly vegan pasta options, but I haven't tried those. Can't resist the pizzas!

We usually pick up, but on occasion when we order home delivery it always arrives in the specified time frame.

Pros: Great vegan pizzas, Delivered on schedule, Vegan cakes, salad, pasta
Cons: Soy cheeze extra charges add up
blinki
blinki

Great Vegan Selection, Pretty Good Taste

3 Posted on 12 / 11 / 2013

Amazing to have such a wide selection of vegan pizzas. Looked great. Tasted good but not great. regular left me still hungry. I ordered online (25% discount on first order though I'm not sure if it's Basil's deal or Menu Log's) and my pizza was pretty cold by the time I collected it. I was on time so they must have made it when it suited them rather than to fit in well with my collection time.

TheVeganOfAus
TheVeganOfAus

Great Pizza and good coffee too.

4 Posted on 09 / 22 / 2013

I've been going her for years and always find it good. Since the new owner (2-3 years now?) it has become much less vegan-centric but the existing pizza selections remain and they are very good. Plus there are vegan deserts and other non-pizza vegan options.

Best vegan pizza I've had in Australia. My fave is the fasolada pizza smothered in guac. - might sound weird but try it - it's awesome. The margherita, the animal lovers... they're all good. Would give the pizzas 5 stars if I could. A little pricey though.

Lately it's not as consistent but they also generally make excellent coffee.

Pros: Awesome taste, Good range, Coffee is very good
Cons: Seeing animals on the menu
Tiggy
Tiggy

Consistently good

4 Posted on 01 / 26 / 2013

I've been to this place several times and the pizzas have always been delicious. There are no worries about knowing what is vegan (or vegetarian) because it is clearly marked on the menu. Almost all vegetarian varieties have a vegan option and there is also a separate vegan section on the menu. I was a bit disappointed last time we went (25 January 2013) that they no longer seem to have their previously wide selection of vegan desserts. Phone ahead because we saw they had a vegan breakfast advertised for the weekend, but when we turned up the place was closed with no notification. They also have Sacred Grounds fair trade coffee here.

Pros: Delicious food, Wide range of vegan options, Fair trade coffee available

gracep
gracep

Nah

2 Posted on 09 / 14 / 2012

I was really keen to try this place because it was close to where I was living for uni. I ordered a pizza and some kind of dessert, and both disappointed me. I wish I'd reviewed it at the time so that I could have been more detailed, but I thought the pizza was really crappy. The base was too thin and it just wasn't good. Compared to the vegan pizzas I've had from The Little Gourmet Pizza Shop, it was truly lacklustre. Going to Bondi to get pizza is a pretty big hassle, but if I really wanted it, I'd go there instead of to Basil again.

Pros: Convenient location, Staff were nice
Cons: Food not good
amaranth
amaranth

Awesome pizza

4 Posted on 02 / 23 / 2012

I love this place! Great vegan pizza! Lots of vegan desserts too! There are also GF pizza + desserts. The staff are really friendly too. I have already made a reservation for a 2nd visit :)

Pros: Delicious pizza, delicious desserts, Friendly staff
yoshiko
yoshiko

Great pizza!

4 Posted on 04 / 09 / 2011

I love the pizza! I wrote more details in my blog. Please click below.

sbszine
sbszine

Good vegan options

4 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2010

I've ordered the vegan Hawaiian (which is not on the menu, but is a permanent blackboard special), and the vegan pepperoni. Both were very good, and the salad was nice also. It's also open quite late, so you can grab a pizza after hitting the Newtown bars.

Pros: Vegan options, Open late
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Great pizza, but build your own and go whole meal

4 Posted on 12 / 17 / 2009

I regret going for the vegan pepperoni, it is tasty and all, but at 17 grams of fat per 100kg I'd rather eat a vegan candy bar. I went w/o cheesely and customized. Paying the extra 2.40 for the organic whole meal crust is a good idea because its a fantastic crust. BYO because there isn't much to drink there. Its kind of gross watching the meat eaters toppings piled on, but the pizza maker washed his hands after handling anchovies and before making my pizza, very conscientious. Get a family size if two people are sharing because the large is medium sized. Also, that whole area is massively vegan friendly. You can get soy ice cream in a vegan cone across the street or a soy malt shake at Burger Fuel down the street, too. Good thing I don't live near it all, too much temptation!

Pros: wholemeal crust
Cons: animal products
Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

vegan pizza with cheezly

4 Posted on 12 / 01 / 2009

We stopped in Newtown one evening after sightseeing as we were craving vegan pizza. It was a bit of a walk from the train station, but you can take a bus too. We got a family size pizza with half roasted vegetable and half something I can't remember the name of (with yummy sun dried tomatoes though)! It was delicious all piping hot. Dirk liked it so much that he wanted to order a pizza to go as well and have it for breakfast (he likes cold pizza for breakfast). We got the veggie pepperoni which is really more like Canadian bacon. I had a piece hot and thought it was much better that way, but it was still a tasty breakfast in our hotel room. Oh, and while we were there, we saw the Naked Expresso menu and wish we could have gone as it looked absolutely yummy.

Pros: lots of different vegan pizzas, friendly service
Cons: serves meat

Dear Owner and Manager of Basil Pizza: