Serves meat, veg options available. Offers veggie choices like its banana whips (vegan), veggieburger, salads, and soups, and a couple vegan breakfast items. Call ahead as hours & opening dates depend on weather permitting. Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto, Ovo, American, Non-veg

First Review by mars
Dveg
Dveg

Worth the wait

4 Posted on 05 / 27 / 2010

We were stoked to find the Bashful Banana now open after we've been in OC for a few days now. The banana split whip (vegan without the whip cream) is a treat that reminds me of how a vegan diet is soooo not about deprivation! Mmmmm. We also had some yummy and healthy veg soup and I had to try a chocolate baked brownie (and stop myself from ordering any more vegan baked goods...so we will have to go back tomorrow!). I think they should really market the healthfulness of a banana whip compared to a fatty (not to mention cruelty laden) cow milk icecream!
We are so thankful for their vegan options and will prioritize choosing our beach lodging close by!

Pros: Nce staff, Great food, Healthy compared to boardwalk options
Cons: Muffins with egg
  • bashfulbanana bashfulbanana

Please note that there is only are 3 muffins that contain eggs- Old fashion Blueberry, Blueberry Wheat Bran, Raspberry Wheatbran. The following muffins do not cantain any dairy, but may contain honey- Banana Oat, Chocolate Chip, Carrot,and Apple Walnut. We also have a vegan brownie, vegan duffins (baked doughnut) vegan peanutbutter cookies, vegan chocoalte chip cookies, vegan oatmeal raisin cookies and vegan peach blueberry cobbler. Thank you for a very nice review, I just didnt want people thinking that all of our baked goods contain eggs.

happyvegan45
happyvegan45

It was a wonderful night out with the family!

4 Posted on 10 / 27 / 2009

Everything we had at the bashful banana was absolutely delicious! The staff was friendly, and the desserts...oh my god, the desserts! We bought some to stay, and more to go! They also had these adorable T-shirts that looked similar to the staff ones, so I bought one for my daughter, it's her favorite shirt:]

veg_rae
veg_rae

Horrible Place

1 Posted on 07 / 30 / 2009

I went to the Bashful Banana after having heard from a fellow vegan. Ordered the hummus burger, which was really great. We were about to order the bananamisu, which a fellow vegan had previously ordered. The menu advertised the item as having a "vegan muffin, all fruit sauce and whipped cream". We asked the waitress if the whipped cream was vegan and she said yes. We asked her to please check and she came back to our table saying that the whipped cream indeed had a milk derivative and was not vegan. WHY ADVERTISE A VEGAN MUFFIN WITH ALL FRUIT SAUCE IF THE WHIPPED CREAM ISN'T VEGAN ITSELF?? Why wouldn't you just use a regular muffin?! False advertisement. My fellow vegan friend had previously ordered that particular dessert and went off of the waitress saying that it was indeed vegan. When he found out it wasn't, he was completely repulsed/disgusted, as any true vegan would be. The workers need to be more educated because that is something that shouldn't be missed, especially when you're falsely advertising your products.

We ordered the banana whips, which were extremely tasty. We payed our order and went to the counter to purchase some muffins and a banana whip to go. After paying for the additional purchase, we were waiting at the counter for the banana whip to be made. Because the juicer is seated right at the counter, we watched as it was being made. One person from our group made the comment, "Wow, it takes a lot of bananas to make just one of these" and the young lady behind the counter making the dessert turned to another employee and bluntly stated, "Customers shouldn't be able to watch us make food". Totally inappropriate and rude to say while you are waiting on customers. Not only are the employees not educated on what they're selling, but they're rude and show a lack of respect for the customers they're waiting on. If it wasn't bad enough the bananamisu is falsely advertised, their customer service is something alone to make anyone want to stay away for good.

Other vegans, stay away. Who knows what other products they are falsely advertising. How would you like to have consumed a milk product after being vegan for years because you had went by what the waitress had said like my friend did? Good thing we made her double check this time around.

Other vegetarians and veg-curious people, stay away just for their lack of respect and horrible customer service. It's not worth it.

Cons: customer service, false advertisement on vegan items

supervegan
supervegan

Banana whip is magical!

4 Posted on 05 / 27 / 2008

I had an excellent experience at Bashful Banana yesterday. Their veggie burgers are home-made and vegan, which is really cool. Not many restaurants make their own veggie burgers, or vegan ones at that. It was interesting, filled with lots of brown rice and it was nice and crispy on the outside. I prefer something a little more moist and bean or vegetable-based, but it was still good! I had a banana whip for dessert and that was excellent. Who knew bananas could create such a delightful, creamy dessert? I loved that they sold fresh vegan muffins and brownies...that is absolutely amazing. I wish my family vacationed in Ocean City!

Pros: Banana Whip!, Friendly Service, Right on the Boardwalk!
Cons: Only a couple vegan food choices, Banana Whip is too good
bashfulbanana
bashfulbanana

response to mars

4 Posted on 03 / 13 / 2008

I am the owner of the Bashful Banana and would like to invite mars back to my cafe in the off season as August 17th is and extremely busy time for the shore, that I can not help. I am sorry that mars did not enjoy the pasta or the veggie burger. The veggie burger is the most popular item besides the banana whip at my cafe', so I am assured that the homemade secret recipe' suits many other peoples taste, in fact I have many customers who bulk order the veggie burgers before we close for the season. As to the pasta dish I serve it over Farfalle and not just spaghetti, the sauce is homemade and not just poored from a can, I will agree that it does not have a lot of spicy seasoning as many customers do not prefer it that way, but again I have many customers who like it just the way it is, I just want to let all other customers and people reading this review to be assured that the veggie burgers and sauce are homemade with the freshest ingredients available. Come visit this little cafe on the ocean city boardwalk and dine outside in the fresh air. The menu is extensive and offers many selections for vegetarians and vegans but will satisfy any other members of your party that are not vegetarian. The cafe is currently be remodeled and we have taken over the shop next door and will now offer a brand new coffee menu and have inside seating. I invite mars back and feel confident that the second time around will have a more positive view. REOpening after construction in April 2008

Pros: healthy home cooked, extensive menu , creative cuisine
Cons: small can be busy
mars
mars

Just for lunch

2 Posted on 08 / 17 / 2007

We went here for dinner and were sorely disappointed. The pasta was a step above ketchup and pasta. The burger was passable.

Had we come for lunch or a vegan dessert, we would have been satisfied.

Pros: Vegan frozen dessert, Friendly staff, Knosh foods
Cons: Bad pasta, crowded

Dear Owner and Manager of Bashful Banana: