Serves meat, veg options available. Chip shop cafe. Menu has separate section listing all vegetarian and vegan options as of Feb 2011. Staff are knowledgeable about vegetarians, vegans, gluten free options. The chips and veg options are all fried separately. For vegans they offer Linda McCartney sausages, falafels, kebab, humus with salad, chips, pita, jacket potatoes, toast with beans, vegan apple crumble & ice cream, chocolate and vanilla sundae. Roast lunches, full breakfasts. They use soya milk and dairy free spreads. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, English, Fast food, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

GiraffeGirl
GiraffeGirl

Nice chips!

Posted on 06 / 10 / 2014

So refreshing to see a vegan section in a chippy!

Good range of vegetarian/vegan options, soya milk and they cook all vegan options in separate fryers and don't mix utensils.

Unfortunately my sausage was cooked to within an inch of its life so wasn't very tasty but the chips were good. My partner had the falafel option which was nice.

waitress was very friendly

Pros: good value, number of vegan options, no cross contamination with fish/meat
Cons: sausage over cooked
blackcat182
blackcat182

Battered sausage!

Posted on 05 / 29 / 2014

Only recently visited this place, which is a crime considering I only live up the road! Vegan items are clearly marked on menu, you just have to make sure you inform the server which menu you are ordering from. I had chips, battered sausage (yum!), peas and gravy, my husband had the falafel kebab. We both enjoyed our food and were pleased with the decent portion size. Obviously it's not the healthiest but I'm a sucker for anything greasy and unhealthy so this place is perfect for me!

Pros: Decent portion size, Price, Plenty of choice
Stevie
Stevie

Barnacles, LLandudno

Posted on 09 / 03 / 2013

I don't have much to add that hasn't been said already. Its very much a typical sort of fish and chip shop but there is a separate all vegan menu with vegan takes on things you would usually find in a chippy. Its a long long time since I've even in a chippy and this was quite a pleasant and novel opportunity to do so again. Battered sausage, chips and gravy? Top stuff.

There doesn't seem to be vegan friendly places fall out of trees in this town so this is a welcome oasis. I'd defo rate it higher if it was all vego but that is unlikely to happen.

The staff were nice and they weren't overly pricey.

Pros: Vegan friendly, Nice staff
Cons: Not 100% vego

Jasminevegan
Jasminevegan

Very good vegan options!

Posted on 07 / 14 / 2013

Barnacles is split into 2 sections, one part is a sit down cafe and the other half is a take away chip shop. The have a separate Menus for vegan and gluten free dishes. The vegan dishes include things such as sausage and chips, falafel kebabs, veg soup, roast dinner with veg sausage or falafel and beans on toast. They provide dairy free spread and soya milk. They even have vegan desserts, I had apple crumble with vegan ice cream, but you could also get a chocolate and vanilla Sunday. They also have a large menu for meat eaters so it is a great place to go with non-veggies. The staff were very friendly and the prices were reasonable (around £6 for a meal if eating in, £3 for desserts) I would definitely recommend!

Pros: Excelent food, Good value, Friendly staff
CLRtraveller
CLRtraveller

vegan falafel roast dinner

Posted on 04 / 07 / 2013

Takeaway section and eat-in section. Separate sections on menu for gluten-free and for vegan and vegetarian. Veggie burger ₤2.80, veg sausage ₤2. Homemade soups like vegetable and leek-potato ₤1.40.
I had the (vegan) falafel roast with vegan gravy, just ₤4.20 as takeaway, though the sign said ₤6.50 (which must be the eat-in price). The meal was steaming hot even when I got home ten minutes later. Four small falafel balls, served with roast potato, mashed potato, peas, carrots, cauliflower, all smothered in gravy. Very tasty and filling. A treat to have vegan gravy.

Pros: vegan gravy, lower cost for takeaway
jon active
jon active

A vegan friendly chippy!!!

Posted on 12 / 14 / 2012

In a part of the country that has more Fish and Chip shops than it does Charity Shops it was a lovely surprise to find this place. The left hand front door takes you into a large upmarket greasy spoon type cafe. Immediately you notice signs on the walls inviting one to ask for the gluten free and vegan menus, how cool is that! The vegan options are not extensive but they were enough for us to return twice and try out the range. My partner was so pleased to find that the veggie sausage in batter (not advertised in the menu) was vegan that she only had that each time we went, it was a childhood memory rekindled but now cruelty free! (if you don't count what the fat was doing to her arteries!) But Hey this is a chip shop, we didn't go for "health food", but we were well chuffed to have good vegan options and even an apple pie and custard for pudding! The only downside was the vegan milk, they are using Soya Soliel which is terrible and so my custard wasn't smoot and my tea seperated. Maybe take your own Plamil with you!

Pros: Friendly staff, Fair Value, An oasis!
Cons: Crap soya milk

Dear Owner and Manager of Barnacles: