Bandit Burrito

Serves meat, veg options available. The chef will create custom burritos, salads, tortilla bowls, and nachos for you, built the way you like with fresh ingredients made in-house daily. Veggie toppings include vegetarian chorizo sausage, guacamole, choice of fresh salasa, beans, white or wild rice, seasonal fajita vegetables. Casual, family atmosphere. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Mexican, Tex-Mex, Take-out, Catering, Non-veg
5340 Merle Hay Rd (2 blocks north of I-80)
Johnston, Iowa 50131
515-254-9999

Open Mon-Sun 6am-10pm.

First Review by Artgeek3k
veganpharmer
veganpharmer

Vegetarian chorizo is not vegan

4 Posted on 09 / 28 / 2012

I asked the staff if the vegetarian chorizo was vegan and they said it was not. However, they had vegan options of a boca burger or tofu. I went with the tofu and it was awesome - they add in a fantastic seasoning that makes it taste a little Italian sausage-like (definitely had fennel in it). Both bean options (pinto or black bean) are vegan. Got some guacamole and chips to go. Overall, a great experience and will be stopping again next time I'm traveling through!

MattyB
MattyB

Damn good burrito

4 Posted on 06 / 13 / 2012

Stopped here while traveling on 1-80, its right off the interstate and very easy to get to. The burrito was awesome and I was able to load it up with tons of good stuff.

TRaeCH
TRaeCH

Fun, affordable, delicious!

4 Posted on 11 / 18 / 2009

My friend and I strolled in to Bandit Burrito based on the two previous reviews here on HappyCow. The vegetarian chorizo burrito, which we both ordered, took a little bit of time for preparation - nothing excessive - which gave us time to chat up the owner and employees. What great people! We'd mentioned to the owner that we from Montreal and were referred through HappyCow and he was genuinely thrilled to hear that his inclusion of a transcendent veggie burrito on the menu is paying such dividends.

In short, the food is very affordable, filling and tasty. We send a warm hello from Montreal to the owner of Bandit Burrito and hope that we make it to Des Moines to see you again!

Pros: Great veggie burrito, Very wallet-friendly, Fantastic owner
Cons: More veggie options would be nice
nbx11
nbx11

• non-vegetarian

Bandit Burito

4 Posted on 04 / 14 / 2009

Great food - affordable prices. Really a burrito you can sink your teeth into. Makes me wish I lived in Des Moines... Enjoy!

Pros: Taste, Value, Atmosphere
Cons: None that, I can , think of
Artgeek3k
Artgeek3k

Very Tasty!

4 Posted on 04 / 11 / 2009

Have been back to Bandit Burrito MANY times since my first visit. The vegetarian chorizo must be made ahead, but is worth the wait. I have a sneaking suspicion it MAY not be Vegan and mean to ask the next time I'm in. But the other options are worth the visit. They have a brown/wild rice alternative to white and spinach AS WELL AS lettuce. And I loves me some spinach. Service friendly except when my partner asks for a fork...then, SOMETIMES, people get a little annoyed. Not everyone is equipt with burrito skills, guys! :o)

Pros: Great Variety, Delicious Food, Enormo Portions
Cons: Chorizo Possibly Not Vegan?, Occasionally Forkist

Dear Owner and Manager of Bandit Burrito: