Mexican cuisine menu with veggie tacos, burritos, nachos, spicy Mexican hot chocolate, and more; brunch daily until 3pm. Large community table seating, has wifi. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Mexican

First Review by christine_bean
DM
DM

Great vegan breakfast

5 Posted on 09 / 05 / 2014

Love the vegan breakfast options. Especially Huevos Ranchero-style tofu scramble.

kenvegan
kenvegan

Healthy, Delicious Mexican Food

5 Posted on 07 / 27 / 2014

Based on other HappyCow reviews, I had a feeling this restaurant was going to be a good choice.

It was later in the evening, and most veg-type restaurants close in Vancouver. Not Bandidas! They were open until 1AM.

Upon arriving, after looking through the window at what others had ordered, I had even a better feeling about this restaurant.

I ordered the tostadas with vegan cheese. Yes, this is a vegetarian restaurant, but all of the dishes can be made vegan. My dish was wonderful. Flavorful without being too salty or spicy. A fresh habanero sauce was put on our table, and I decided to spice things up a bit on my plate.

The portions was ample, the prices were reasonable, and the food was delivered to our table very quickly.

This restaurant is one of my favorites in Vancouver.

Pros: Fast service, delicious food
heywood100
heywood100

Busy, and with good reason

4 Posted on 07 / 04 / 2014

Like a lot of the good restaurants we went to in Vancouver, this one is randomly located on a road that otherwise looks like a suburban strip mall. It was very busy, and we soon found out why - the portions are large, and the food is tasty and filling. Recommended.

TableForOne
TableForOne

A really cool find

4 Posted on 06 / 16 / 2014

This Mexican vegetarian restaurant is in a great area with lots of other veg eateries and health food shops nearby. I had the fajitas and they were excellent. I was dining with two omnivores and they were both happy with their meals too. For dessert we had the vegan choco-chip coconut cake. It was excellent and one slice was big enough for three to share!

It was open till 12am so i went back for take-out later on. I got the house salad with tofu. It was great and i'd definitely come back. A really cool place with friendly staff.

Pros: Good food, Plenty of vegan choice, Friendly staff
lovela5
lovela5

amazing! love it

5 Posted on 03 / 01 / 2014

This is one of my favourite Mexican spots They are fully vegetarian so I don't have to worry about finding some meat in my food as it happens in those "vegetarian friendly" places.
I've been to Bandidas only once and I ordered soft tacos and tortilla soup. Besides that I also had their homemade lemonade. Everything was delicious and I will come back for sure.

Pros: Delicious food, Vegetarian! No meat, Lots of options
Cons: far from downtown :(, small restaurant, not enough sitting
shirley1
shirley1

Yummy

5 Posted on 10 / 21 / 2013

I had the Ronny Russell in a bowl as I wanted it gluten and corn free. I also had it vegan.
It was a yummy bowl of food with roasted yams , blackbeans , avo , rice , and cabbage. It was very good and tasty.
I also had gluten free and vegan apple crumble. Very good.

Pros: Big portion, Yummy, Good price
vegan frog
vegan frog

Great burritos!

4 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2012

Everything here is vegetarian and can be veganized, they have vegan sour cream and Daiya cheese. You don't even need it! The Ronny Russell burrito with roasted yams and onions and the trimmings is my favourite! The enchiladas are also super tasty.
Problem is there is always a longish wait outside and the dining room is quite noisy but the food is worth it.

Pros: Vegan options
Cons: Long waits outside, tables close together
DollyWiggles
DollyWiggles

My go-to restaurant on The Drive

4 Posted on 07 / 28 / 2012

My favorite is the Stella burrito, but I've pretty much tried them all.I love how you can veganize anything. It's all pretty fantastic.

I also adore their two-bite vegan brownies and I any time I see that they have their vegan apple crumble on the desert board I almost always get it.

Depending on the time of day it can get pretty busy so sometimes you'll have to wait a bit. It's worth it though because you get a great meal in a really nice atmosphere with pretty helpful staff.

Pros: lots of vegan options for dinner/lunch, great atmosphere, good value
Cons: new breakfast menu not as vegan-friendly
kimward8
kimward8

Great vegan burritos!

4 Posted on 11 / 12 / 2011

The jicama salad is really good, and the vegan nachos with homemade sour cream are good too. The vegan burritos made enchilada style are still my favourite though! For drinks, the vegan horchata is delicious, and the hibiscus ice tea is very refreshing.

Updated from previous review on Saturday May 29, 2010

Ape Wonder
Ape Wonder

Walnut filling on homemade tortillas

5 Posted on 11 / 04 / 2011

Bandidas makes their own corn tortillas and fills them six different ways. My favorite is the Camillo which is filled with a spicy breaded walnut mix. The crunch really gives it a nice heartiness. Poblano pepper stuffed with beans and rice makes a great dish of comfort food. The soy milk horchata is my favorite. But don't miss the vegan two-bite brownie.

Pros: Lots of options, homemade tortillas, environmentally low impact
Cons: can be busy, parking may be hard to find
nenni
nenni

Yes please!

4 Posted on 11 / 26 / 2010

I was sceptical upon entrance (it was noisy and crowded), but it was so good! I got the vegan burrito and some kind of salad (the name escapes me), and both were absolutely delicious.
The service was okay. They were friendly enough, and there were no problems with our food. We all thoroughly enjoyed it.

Pros: good portions, yummy
Cons: crowded/loud at times
earthville
earthville

Vegan-friendly and eco-friendly

4 Posted on 10 / 18 / 2010

Having grown up near the Mexican border, i'm a bit spoiled when it comes to Mexican cuisine and i tend to be reluctant to try Mexican food restaurants too far from the source because i'm usually disappointed, but i couldn't resist the temptation of a vegan-friendly, eco-friendly Mexican joint while passing through Vancouver. The three items i sampled at Bandidas didn't disappoint - they didn't blow me away, but they definitely didn't disappoint. The enchiladas with mole were quite tasty (though i'm not partial to the vegan "cheese" so next time i'd order without).

What i didn't love about Bandidas was the atmosphere: it was quite noisy, and the servers i had weren't especially friendly - they did their business efficiently and after taking my order didn't speak a word to me even though i was sitting right at the counter. They were busy, and it showed. If i were to return, it would probably be only during off-peak hours.

What i *did* love about Bandidas was their commendable efforts toward sustainability (which you can read about on their website). For that, i add a fourth star to what otherwise would've been a three-star review. I look forward to the day when more restaurants follow suit...

Pros: vegan-friendly, laudable efforts toward sustainability
Cons: noisy, not the best service when busy
axelboot
axelboot

Good Mexican style cuisine and has IMPROVED!

5 Posted on 10 / 03 / 2010

I was just here again, last Thursday Sept 30, 2010 after an absence of a year.

I think they might be reading these critiques, as my points were all addressed!!
1) They now provided, free of charge, some tortilla and gaucamole for my lunch.
2) The price, for a very large burrito with salad, was now reasonable, around $10.50
3) Portions are much much improved: I finished all of my meal, including a delicious salad. However, my lunch partner only could consume half of their burrito!!

So, I am now moving up my recommendation to 5 stars!!

Way to go Bandidas!!!

Been here a few times. They have a pretty good variety on the menu. But I would agree with other reviewers that the cost is high for the portion provided. They aren't very generous, and charge for every little thing ie don't provide you with salsa and tortilla chips for free like non-veggie Mexican restaurants.
I would go again, as the food tasted good, but would like to see them lower the prices.
Updated from previous review on Thursday November 19, 2009

Pros: Tastes good, Cool place, Good portion size
Cons: Much better value now
aquacat
aquacat

Busy place, decent value for money.

4 Posted on 07 / 23 / 2010

A group of 5 of us went here on a Sunday. We knew from reading reviews on other sites that it would be busy -- they serve brunch until 3 pm daily, as well as the regular menu. We got there about 1:35 and waited 1/2 hour for a table. That was ok, we expected it. If there were fewer of us, we would have been seated earlier. Due to the full restaurant, it started out a bit noisy but settled down after about 2:30.

Everyone ordered something different, and everyone liked their meal. Only 2 of us are vegetarian -- it's good when omnivores like it too. I was a little disappointed by mine, The Vegan. It didn't have as much spice as I had expected in the tofu scramble. I had some bites of my husband's meal, a baked burrito. Very nice.

The drinks come in glass mason jars. They have regular coffee and tea as well as herbals, organic soft drinks and a full bar menu.

The portions were so big, no one could even consider dessert but everyone except me finished their meal.

Service was ok, nothing special. Nice selection of music.

One huge bonus of this place is that they strive to be carbon-neutral. They have composting behind the building and receive their deliveries by bike or on foot, not by delivery trucks.

Overall this is a nice addition to the Vancouver veg. restaurant scene and I would recommend this place over the Naam (similar type of place) any day, partly for the better selection of vegan options and better selection in general.

Pros: good selection of vegan options, carbon-neutral!, good value for money
Cons: can be busy/need to wait
Momaria
Momaria

A great addition to the Vancouver vegetarian scene

4 Posted on 10 / 13 / 2009

This is a welcome addition to an area of Vancouver with surprisingly few vegetarian options despite its alternative community feel. The restaurant is casual and friendly and the food is tasty. Although I would argue that the food is more expensive than it should be for what you get, the best part of this restaurant is that they will veganize any menu option for you, replacing eggs with yams, cheese with Vegan Gourmet cheese, and sour cream with their delicious in-house vegan sour cream.

Pros: good food, vegan options, casual atmosphere
Cons: slightly pricey for what it is
christine_bean
christine_bean

Tasty

4 Posted on 05 / 11 / 2009

I really enjoyed the food here. It is unique, slightly off the mainstream of mexican food, but very tasty and flavourful. Very reasonable prices. The atmosphere and staff are open and friendly, however the decor leaves room for improvement (not very mexican at all). Overall a great little place to eat.

Dear Owner and Manager of Bandidas Tacqueria: