Banana Verde

Banana Verde offers contemporary, natural cuisine that's meatless by combining creativity and harmony of flavors to satisfy demanding tastes. Serves lunch choices of fast dishes as well as gourmet dinners. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Brazilian, Western, Gourmet, Beer/Wine

First Review by Toni Barros
Mojie101
Mojie101

Bit dissapointing

3 Posted on 12 / 13 / 2013

I was a bit disappointed by Banana Verde to be honest. To begin with there are no vegan options on the dinner menu. They did however not add cheese to my dish when I asked them. To start we had the palmito that was good, and then the plate of mandioca, mandioquinha, and sweet potato. It was good, but it was an absolutely tiny portion. I had the red rice risotto with shitake mushrooms, and the flavours were just wrong on this dish. There was way too much onion and it just overpowered all the other flavours. I hope the chef made a mistake and it is not normally like that. The two people I was with had the Italian risotto, and they said it was very bland and they were not very impressed. I had the brownie for dessert as it was the only vegan option, it was way too sweet and to be honest felt a bit undercooked. The others took the cheesecake and they said that they enjoyed it.The general atmosphere was nice enough, I think there were only 3 other tables busy.

rfzomig
rfzomig

Banana Verde

5 Posted on 03 / 16 / 2012

Fresh vegetarian food in a friendly environment. Creative, contemporary dishes made by a very competent chef.

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine, friendly staff
Cons: some desserts too sweet
pradipd
pradipd

Flavor and Harmony in Sao Paulo

4 Posted on 11 / 22 / 2011

I just had one of the most amazing meals for dinner at Banana Verde. And just as mentioned by another reviewer her, chef Priscilla Herrera ws by my side explaining everything in English and chatting us up. It is a beautiful place in a nice neighbourhood on hills. The only jarring part was that the entire restaurant was empty the entire time we were there. Prisculla sadly mentioned that not many locals care for vegetarian cuisine since Brazil is mainly a country of carnivores. For those who do venture here, they will be rewarded with some of the most flavorful dishes lovingly created by Priscilla. Go for it.

Pros: Flavor, Personal attention, Harmony
Cons: Empty
julianne
julianne

OH MY GOD! AMAZING FOOD!

5 Posted on 11 / 01 / 2011

I went to banana verde on the night of the Tuesday 2nd Nov 2011.

It is a beautiful restaurant with a lovely feel, candles and art on the walls surrounded by banana plants with a gorgeous view of the city at night.

When I arrived the waiter said he didn't speak much English so I showed him the ''I do not eat meat, fish, dairy, eggs or animal products'' note I had got the hotel staff to write for me.

He looked worried and ran off to the kitchen. I though oh no this could be bad!!! But I was mistaken. The amazing chef Priscilla Herrera appeared and explained that she could make me anything on the menu vegan style. Asked me what I liked and made some suggestions.

I chose the Grain Salad to start, followed by Pizza with eggplant and olive tapenade. They were both so yummy and gorgeous. I really enjoyed them both. Priscilla had recommended some almonds on the pizza and they made all the difference so so so yummy!!

Then I couldn't resist desert!! Priscilla asked me if I liked bananas and if I wanted to try a local fruit. I told her that I would trust her to give me whatever she would like and I was NOT disappointed. I had warm bananas with a beautiful fruit sorbet and a nutty topping. It was divine!! So So good.

All I can say is thank you to Priscilla for such a lovely warm welcome, for taking the time to make something yummy for me and being so lovely and friendly and the most amazing chef!!!

She even called a taxi for me to make sure I got back to my hotel safe.

Banana Verde is a lovely place with a wonderful chef. Thank you.

PS the reviewer before said that it seemed expensive. I have to say for the attention to detail and wonderful, fresh, tasty food I thought it was excellent value for money. I had a starter for R15, Pizza for R13, Desert for R14. I also had half a bottle of wine for R28. My whole 3 courses with wine and service charge came to R79.75 which is £28.60.

Pros: beautiful, amazing food, wonderful staff
Cons: none
e37e
e37e

Chilled and nice night with friends

3 Posted on 08 / 20 / 2011

I went with a large group of omnivorous beautiful friends and had a very nice evening. Almost nothing is vegan in the menu, but like the other reviewer said, the staff was very nice and helpful and offered to turn almost any dish into vegan. I had a risotto which was very fun to have because I never find risottos without butter in menus, this one only had olive oil and it was very tasty. My husband had pasta and it was ok, nothing spectacular. All of our omnivorous friends were very happy with the place and their meals. We all had juices... awesome ones! And I also had natural coconut water. Everyone shared a dish which broke my heart which was a grilled palmito... The palmito is the heart of a type of palm tree that even though some are planted for eating, about 99% of them are chopped down from jungles, many from the Amazons... now, I've seen these many times in my life, but canned, and this one really shocked me because it was the bark of the tree cut in half with the palm heart inside, it just made me so sad. I did not say anything because I did not want to sound snobby or annoy anyone but it just made me so sad... anyway/ I'm taking this review way deep in my heart! LOL I did love the place because it was very spacey and clean and it had very big windows and a beautiful view. I do not know the price because I was invited, but I think it was pricey. If you are vegetarian they have many options. The neighborhood is very nice.

Pros: BIG WINDOWS WITH NICE GREEN VIEW, YUMMY JUICES, FRIENDLY STAFF
Cons: ANTI-ECO-FRIENDLY PALMITO ENTREE, I think maybe expensive
Toni Barros
Toni Barros

Healthy gourmet

5 Posted on 02 / 28 / 2011

This restaurant offers healthy, creative and elaborate preparations in a pleasant atmosphere. Average price is R$ 30 to R$ 40 per person. Most dishes are not vegan on the menu, but the staff is very friendly and will try to accomodate you.
Este restaurante oferece preparaçiµes saudaveis, criativas e elaboradas em um ambiente agradavel. Preço médio de R$ 30 a R$ 40 por pessoa. A maior parte dos pratos no menu nao é vegan, mas a equipe é muito amigavel e faz o possi­vel para atender.

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Pleasant premises

Dear Owner and Manager of Banana Verde:

Thank you for being a FRIEND supporter.

There are more ways to promote your business on HappyCow, including:

1. Advertise your large, custom banner on the Sao Paulo page, or any other regional page
  2. Upgrade to Premium FRIEND status to get a Spotlight Feature in HappyCow's popular e-Newsletter, MooZine. You'll also get generous discounts on any additional advertising

Please email us if you have questions, or to get started today!

Last updated: 2014/01/04