Serves meat, veg options available. Cafe attached to a market, reported all veg except for fish. Offers soups, salads, sandwiches, Turkish veggie dishes, breakfast items like hot oatmeal and pancakes. Also has veggie burger with ginger-tahini sauce, fresh juices, desserts like vegan carrot cake, brownies, oatmeal cookies, granola bars, organic coffee and tea. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Organic, Turkish, Western, Juice bar, Take-out, Non-veg
Defterdar Yokusu, Batarya Sok 16A
Istanbul, Turkey 34433
+90-212-2523582

Open Mon-Sun 9am-7pm.

First Review by VeggieMon

The place to be

4 Posted on 08 / 21 / 2013

I'm on a trip in europe and was so happy to finally find a resturant as great as this! The staff was amazing... very friendly and always smiling! the atmosphere was great! the room looked very "green" with all those wood and vegetables! and the food was the top of the iceberg :-). I ate a wonderful vegan hamburger with salad (it had a chocalte sauce!!!) with lots of different cakes and a very good smoothie!

if you are in istanbul, you really should go there!

Pros: Wonderful Food, Cute location, Very friedly stuff

Great Vegetarian place

4 Posted on 07 / 02 / 2012

The Balya Organik Cafe is a great place to have a vegetarian/vegan breakfast/lunch/dinner in the centre of Istanbul (it's very close to the Galata tower). The staff is very friendly and they can prepare you anything you want even if it's out of the menu (for example, I didn't want a cheese sandwich, I asked for a tofu sandwich and they did it in no time).

They also sell a lot of nice organic/vegetarian products.
Updated from previous review on Monday April 02, 2012

Pros: Great food, Friendly staff, Location
  • SG213 SG213

It's about half a mile walk from the Galata tower, if you want to go here it's probably easier to go from Taksim and walk down towards Cihangir, or get off at Tophane metro stop and take the first right when going up the hill on Bogazkesen Cd.

Total miss

2 Posted on 05 / 17 / 2012

First of all this is not a vegetarian restaurant. At best it should be classified as "veggie friendly." They serve fish.

Second, not an appealing place to eat. The service was absolutely lackluster. The server was milling around apparently doing nothing, while I was sitting there for 20 minutes waiting for him to take my order or at least acknowledge my presence. There were a couple of other guests, but that's it. The restaurant wasn't busy.

Not a good value. I went in with the expectation that I could have a proper lunch after hiking around Istanbul all day. By the way, it is a bit of a hike to get to the restaurant, especially if you're unfamiliar with the lay of the land. Anyway, first the menu I was given looks nothing like the menu on their web site. So, I ordered a "veggie burger" with salad - a safe standby when the menu looks otherwise questionable - and they brought me this strange patty on a slice of bread with nothing on the plate that resembled a salad. That's what I got for my 18 TL. That's around 10 USD.

Cons: Service, Food, Not a vegetarian restaurant

Dear Owner and Manager of Balya Organik Cafe: