Bali Buddha

Serves meat, veg options available. Restaurant and store. Offers salads, smoothies, samosas (contains butter), pizza, smoothies, non-dairy milk, main dishes using tempeh and tofu, enchiladas, raw platter, pancakes, bagels, hummous. Sells some natural and organic foods products. Has another outlet at Jl. Baniar Anyar 25, A Kerobokan, on way to Cannggu, phone 03618445935. Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto, Asian, Indian, Pizza, International, Non-veg

First Review by Dena
Jessica Bailey
Jessica Bailey

We love Bali Buddha

4 Posted on 09 / 17 / 2011

We stayed in Ubud for a week and ate at Bali Buddha almost every meal. They have a wide range of interesting and reasonably priced vegan food, great juices, wonderful atmosphere and happy service. We coudln't fault the place and can't wait to go back.

Pros: great vegan food, great atmosphere, lots of choice
Cons: none
Jepulis
Jepulis

Lovely restaurant

4 Posted on 07 / 06 / 2010

This was a lovely restaurant. The food was not the tastiest ever (more spices thank you) and a bit too expensive to eat or drink as much as I wanted. But it has nice atmosphere and interesting and wide menu.

Pros: wide menu, good looking food, great drinks
Cons: not tasty enough, a bit expensive
Josensei
Josensei

Awesome!

4 Posted on 03 / 25 / 2010

I love Bali Buddha. It's worth going to Ubud just for Bali Buddha. The smoothies are wonderful - where else can you find cranberry in a smoothie? The food is incredible - so many choices that one visit is simply not enough. The atmosphere is laid-back and peaceful. It's true that it is not 100% vegetarian, but the non-vegetarian items are limited to one small section (part of a page) on their extensive (about 8 pages) menu. My veggie club sandwich a few days ago was so thick I had to eat it layer-by-layer. Very messy, but so what. All part of the experience.

Pros: delicious meals, great selection, healthy
pradipd
pradipd

Serves meat, but still divine!

4 Posted on 01 / 16 / 2010

Bali Buddha is one of those restaurants around the world that serve meat, yet people flock their more for their veg options. the choice is extensive, the food is fresh and delicious and filling, the service is pleasant, and a very quiet unobtrusive ambience away from the main center of Ubud. I had the enchilada that was one of the best I have had. Very reasonable priced for Bali.

Pros: Value, Quality, Location
Cons: Serves meat
premananda1382
premananda1382

Fantastic and exciting food

4 Posted on 10 / 18 / 2009

I was blown away by the Bali Buddha.

The menu was so exciting, especially as it was so health-oriented, I had a pumpkin coconut soup, an immune-booster smoothie, their chocolate mousse cake and icecream. Everything was absolutely delicious!

The waitress was very friendly. It was nice how she did little ceremonies with incense and flowers at the altars. It was very soulful. They are very dedicated with their ceremonies, so if it is time for a short ceremonial offering your meal will probably have to wait an extra minute, but not more than that. I found it quite charming.

The Bali Buddha is a must for anyone going to Bali!

Pros: suberb food, friendly staff, great atmosphere
ena1979
ena1979

Great food - poor service!

2 Posted on 08 / 10 / 2009

The food in this place is really nice, it is a pity that the service is so bad. We had to wait for an hour for our mains and when they arrived they got it all wrong. If you are prepared to wait and to have some patience this is the place to go.

Lupick
Lupick

Bali Buddha is the BESTEST!!

4 Posted on 08 / 01 / 2009

I LOVE Bali Buddha - I've been a faithful customer since I moved to Bali back in 2002. The staff are great, the food and cakes are awesome. But most importantly, they make deliveries to my village, Celuk, which is about 16km away from Ubud; even when it's just to deliver $5 worth of food. I'm 7+ months pregnant so it means the world to me to have my favorite (and healthy) grub delivered to my door. Ubud is sometimes too far away a drive for my now humongous belly!
The baby in my belly and I give BIG THANKS to Bali Buddha!!!

Pros: Friendly staff, Fabolous food, Great Desserts
simdel
simdel

Our favourite restaurant on Bali

4 Posted on 06 / 20 / 2009

This place is amazing. The menu is extensive, the portions large, the quality of the food is top notch and the prices are very reasonable. OK, it has a few non veg items on the menu, which is a shame really, but I think most people go there for the veggie / vegan food. The detox drinks and juices are lush and the staff are lovely. Yes, it can sometimes take a while for food to arrive, but that's because it is being cooked / prepared totally fresh. They've got a selection of up to date magazines, today's papers and alternative lifestyle leaflets and info to be perusing anyway, so there's no need to be rushing. Excellent place. Rated 4 cows, because you can't rate restaurants that are not totally veg with 5 cows.

Pros: atmosphere, food, prices and staff
Cons: not totally veg

8 years of exellence :)

4 Posted on 05 / 17 / 2009

I have been a long time customer and the owners always listen to customer comments and try to improve where ever possible, so there's always something cookin'. What I like best is that they cater to special requests, and the menu is HUGE.

Pros: Super kind staff, Free mandalas to colour!, nice place
Cons: service slow when busy
Cheryl27
Cheryl27

Loved it!

4 Posted on 02 / 18 / 2009

I loved Bali Buddha. Friends and I visited Bali Buddha a number of times and were very impressed with the menu, options, presentation and flavour. Would highly recommend it. As with most places in Bali the service is not so great.

Pros: Great choice, Fresh, Clean
AlkalineAndRaw
AlkalineAndRaw

Fantastic!!!

4 Posted on 09 / 01 / 2008

When I was last in Ubud (9/2006) my wife and I loved the food so much we probably ate there at least 9 times per week. The place and food was exceptionally clean. Great selection of mostly raw dishes from what I remember. All of them wonderfully pleasing to the palate. A nice blend of western and exotic.

There may have been 1 non-veg dish on the menu but I do not remember for sure. Mostly frequented by folks looking for veg/vegan/raw food.

Generally we found the service to be quite fast.

I think we considered this to be our finest dining experience anywhere in the world.

Pros: Open air, upscale traditional, Friendly staff and mellow atmosphere, Good value for great food
Baza
Baza

good

2 Posted on 04 / 04 / 2008

Had a great raw plate and a few other tasty things here. Service in the evening was very slow - 40 minutes to get my food, the standard in Bali?

Pros: ambience, clean, tasty
Cons: service, dead flesh

Bali Buddha

4 Posted on 10 / 03 / 2007

We were really pleased with the food and service here....no MSG and foods that were fresh and familiar to our western palate.
I felt weel fed and safe with the food choices.

Dena
Dena

A bit of a disappointment

3 Posted on 11 / 12 / 2006

We had high hopes for Bali Buddha and ate there twice, but were somewhat disappointed with our experiences there. First, the restaurant is not completely vegetarian...they serve chicken, use dairy, etc. Also, we were told by our waitress that the samosas were vegan, only to later read the ingredients label in the market and learn that they are actually made with butter. The atmosphere was a plus and the vegan food that we ate was good, but we were upset by the number of non-vegan and non-vegetarian items on the menu, as well as the misleading information by the waitstaff. The compassion implied by the restaurant's name is underminded by the inclusion of animal products on the menu and seems more for marketing appeal than a wholehearted commitment to non-violence.

Pros: vegetarian options, raw food selections, good atmosphere
Cons: non-vegetarian options, misuse of Buddha's name
  • BerryHappyBuddhaBaby BerryHappyBuddhaBaby

Hi =) I would just like to respond to this review as a long time customer of Bali Buddha restaurant and resident of Bali. In Asia, Buddhism and vegetarian/vegan does not necessarily go hand in hand (and Bali Buddha has never been advertised as an exclusively vegetarian restaurant as far as I can tell). In Indonesia any animal sacrificed with the intention of being consumed is always prayed over in order to increase it's karma for it's next life, whether Hindu, Buddhist or Muslim this is a normal daily practice (I'm Hindu).
    I also know the owners quite well and would like to add to their credit that they have been prominent in supporting the gentle birthing (non-violent) movement in Bali =)

hope this makes you feel better !

xoxo

• StopAnimalSlaughter StopAnimalSlaughter

Dena I totally agree with you. And there are many ignorant people who will not agree to your truthful sentences as they are more concerned about their selfish motives.They do not know that being a true Hindu or Buddhist or just being a humble human is not to kill any living being. But inhuman pleasures are derived only by harming and it is very convinient for such people to say that they are increasing the animal's karma by sacrifice and they are not even ashamed to call themselves Hindu. They do not know anything about Mahatma Gandhi nor about non-violence, nothing about animal suffering and ecological imbalance, they know nothing about the greatness of religion nor they know that the great personalities turned into vegetarians for a solid reason but they want to teach their nonsense lessons to people here. Just beacuse they can't take a noble challenge of becoming a vegetarian. And it is so ignorant of this person above to say that they kill animals inorder to increase their karmas for next life. For his/her information : You can only liberate yourself and only then you can help someone and for Christ sake not by killing anyone!!! Buddha, Christ, Mahatma Gandhi never killed anyone to liberate the people and animals...but they loved them, they felt their pain...do you understand Mr. Bary Happy!!. Do you what is to be Hindu? It is to love! And the place where it's blessed with ricefields and fruits and other grains and vegetables and yet there are huge slaugher houses, where pigs and cows beg for their lives as they squeal with pain..little chicken are killed brutaly. Global warming! Dont you know that? I am a traditional Hindu from India and I know what it is to be a Hindu..I and my ancestors have not even touched eggs..when we see a fish dying we feel it's pain, we cry, we get hurt...we get hurt even when a tiny fly gets hurt. Hinduism means to love the smallest creature, to respect it and not to harm it for your own selfish reason!

• StopAnimalSlaughter StopAnimalSlaughter

• patthai74 patthai74

I was at Bali Buddha last week and on many marketing leaflets etc. they now write Bali Buda. I don't know if this is just because they can't spell their own name properly ;-) or whether they have understood that using the name of Buddha was maybe not the best thing to do.

Dear Owner and Manager of Bali Buddha: